PDA

View Full Version : Mega Tragedy

Ensign Paris
Jun 4, 2002, 03:07 PM
Hi

Some people might have noticed I have not been posting, this is the reason:

On Sunday night (about 8pm) there was a huge electrical storm above my house, anyway, to cut the story short the cables providing power to my house and damaged my Powermacs and both Powerbooks, and I am only able to refund the repair bill (Bloddy insurance doesn't pay for that kind of thing :mad:) of one of the machines, so I have picked one of my Powerbooks but this will take upto 2 weeks to do, I am going to be using my older iBook (Graphite) until then. So I wont be posting as much, I am really mad.

Speak to you lot soon!

Ensign

eyelikeart
Jun 4, 2002, 03:11 PM
Ensign! I am so sorry to hear that...:(

I noticed I haven't seen u online in a couple days...figured u were busy with work or something...

I hope it all works out for u man...get those machines fixed!! ;)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 4, 2002, 03:20 PM
Oh, that sucks, sorry to here that Ensign. I figured you had just been busy with other things. I know I'd be screaming mad if that had happened to me.

Did you have the computers connected to a surge protector? I've got mine on one at home, but there was a storm the cause all my machines to shut down, even though the power didn't go off.

Good luck on getting them fixed.

D

Ensign Paris
Jun 4, 2002, 03:29 PM
my machine (pb) should be fixed within a few weeks until then I probably wont be able to post all that much, I did have a surge protector on my old system but since I updated I never bothered putting it back on, what a dumb ass thing to do, i don't think I will ever bother not bothing to put a surge protector on again :)

Ensign

edesignuk
Jun 4, 2002, 03:33 PM
Geez, bad luck, sorry mate :(
I've had quite a few power surges my self but my surge protector seems to have been up to the job so far (fingers crossed).
Anyway, hope it doesn't cost you too much to get them back up and running.
Good luck.

AlphaTech
Jun 4, 2002, 03:51 PM
Makes me very glad to have my computer (the peecee) as well as airport base station and such all on a UPS with power conditioning. My TiBook is on a good surge protector (APC) and I usually go onto battery power when major storms are flashing all around me. Every piece of electronics that I own (of any value greater then $100) is on a protector. All them also have insurance so that if they fail and a spike gets through, the company pays to repair/replace the items that gets fried. I learned to do that in Florida, since there are mad electrical storms down there (pretty much every day during the summer).

Live and learn...

britboy
Jun 4, 2002, 03:58 PM
That really sucks ensign. I feel real sorry for you :( As others have said though, live and learn. I've been lucky so far (just unplug my laptop during a storm).

I would be livid if something like that happened to me. Damn insurance... :mad:

AlphaTech
Jun 4, 2002, 04:04 PM
That is why I have the protectors... to CYA or CMA as the case may be... A few dollars on a good surge protector can save you thousands in computer repairs, as well as the pain of being without your systems for who knows how long. I believe I spent under $40 for the protectors (each) and the UPS is an evaluation unit that I got over a year and a half ago... :D... They never did ask for any money. :D

eyelikeart
Jun 4, 2002, 04:07 PM
after talking to Alpha about this same scenario just last night & reading what happend to Ensign...I think it'll be time soon enough to replace my surge protector to something a bit more substancial...;)

britboy
Jun 4, 2002, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by AlphaTech
I believe I spent under $40 for the protectors (each) and the UPS is an evaluation unit that I got over a year and a half ago... :D... They never did ask for any money. :D

he he... cheeky :p

Uh oh, there's an electric storm headed this way right now :( I'll be leaving now, before my baby gets fried. Good night all!

AlphaTech
Jun 4, 2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
after talking to Alpha about this same scenario just last night & reading what happend to Ensign...I think it'll be time soon enough to replace my surge protector to something a bit more substancial...;)

Smart man... check out MGE (http://www.mgeups.com/) I have the ellipse (http://www.mgeups.com/products/pdt120/1ph/ellipse/html/frame.htm) model, 800VA version... and it will support a monitor on top of it, for those that have space restrictions... Good product, and good pricing too.

eyelikeart
Jun 4, 2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by AlphaTech

Smart man... check out MGE (http://www.mgeups.com/) I have the ellipse (http://www.mgeups.com/products/pdt120/1ph/ellipse/html/frame.htm) model, 800VA version... and it will support a monitor on top of it, for those that have space restrictions... Good product, and good pricing too.

cool deal man...thanks for the leads... :D

Macmaniac
Jun 4, 2002, 05:27 PM
We have lost a TV before to a lightning strike, when we bought our iMac we were sure to get a good surge, I feel so sorry for you man that really sucks. Buy yourself a APC-UPS next time, hope all turns out ok.

King Cobra
Jun 4, 2002, 05:53 PM
That is too bad, man. I feel terrible. I do not think that there is a worse way for a computer to "suffer" by nature. I've been lucky. My old iMac went through a severe thunderstorm plugged in with no trouble.

But two computers down for the count...that is a shame. The best of luck on a quick recovery.

BTW: This is my second attempt at posting here, since just as I was about to send this post a few minutes ago I got my first kernel panic. Luckily it wasn't too bad. Now, I will just wait for someone to stick out their hand and say "Welcome to the club!" :)

Fear the King.

Durandal7
Jun 4, 2002, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by King Cobra

BTW: This is my second attempt at posting here, since just as I was about to send this post a few minutes ago I got my first kernel panic. Luckily it wasn't too bad. Now, I will just wait for someone to stick out their hand and say "Welcome to the club!" :)

Welcome to the club!

King Cobra
Jun 4, 2002, 06:25 PM
I was listening to iTunes and was finishing the first attempt. As the Quarashi song tried to start over again I got the famous black/white text.

Now my question: Why would kernel panics happen like that, if all that should have been going on was a song repeat?

Beej
Jun 4, 2002, 07:07 PM
Sorry to hear, Ensign :(

That's even worse than my reason for not posting a lot lately... I've had too much work! Exams soon...

AlphaTech
Jun 4, 2002, 07:25 PM
I have yet to have a kernel panic while running my TiBook (either one). I did get some when I tried to install memory that wasn't compatible (PC133 in the lower slot of the rev. a) and when I tried to use the OS X version installed for the rev. a on the rev. c. Basically, both times were caused by me, not the computer.

Just remember the cover to the Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy and "Don't Panic"... also, do you have your towel handy??? Do you know where your towel is??? :D

barkmonster
Jun 4, 2002, 07:33 PM
last year I was watching TV for a few hours and there was a storm outside, we've got an inside arial so it's not like it shot straight down the wire but it just went boom, There was a hole the size of coke can right through the main circuit board.

Being an old TV, we'd taken out a huge warrantly package at the time, we got the original retail cost of the TV as compensation and got a pretty cool nicam stereo set as a replacement. (The original was mono).

It's a shame insurance companies let people down in situations like this. If you've paid for a service you should get the full benefit from it in my opinion. It's certainly got me worried about not having a surge protector on my setup now.

King Cobra
Jun 4, 2002, 07:33 PM
Alpha, when you installed the wrong type of RAM on your TiBook, did you get, like, a quick flashing light and some sort of beeping noise that sounds like one of those announcements at a mall? My father and I had some trouble installing bad memory on our iBook Firewire and we got that same beeping and flashing. We got PC100 RAM instead of PC66.

It's too bad some people are getting the wrong RAM for their product. There must be some idiots out there. And I say this because we had to have bad memory shipped back in return for memory that was also bad, in fact, more inappropriate for the iBook.

Fear the King.

AlphaTech
Jun 4, 2002, 07:44 PM
No flashing lights, just when I booted it up, the kernal panic came up on the screen. I was trying out the memory at my favorite vendor's location so there was no problem getting the correct combination. For some reason, it liked a regular size 512 PC100 in the lower slot, and also had no issue with the PC133 512 in the upper slot (needed the thinner one on top to get the keyboard to lay flat).

I have never had the panic come up while the computer is running normally, just those two times on boot.

mymemory
Jun 4, 2002, 08:49 PM
Oh man, I din't even tell you where not around :p

Lucky you still having your macs, the same saturday night a friend of mine got his Pismo stolen, the entire back with all the accesories. Some one told me and it hurts big time, I do not want to call hime because it feels like loosing a close relative or something.

I had an storm like that back in Orlando and all we could think about was to wear a helmet, in my case was a tornado, but nothing really happend. Get a UPS next time.