Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i have tried folding on a vista machine, and it seems to be working correctly, but i can't seem to be able to tell if it's uploading correctly. is there any way to tell which workstation did which WU?

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

What project are you referring to? I assume you mean Folding@Home, (if so, I don't know, but someone else might,) but the term "folding" could mean any number of distinuted computing apps.

I run World Community Grid on multiple Vista machines, and it tells me the numbervof units done per individual machine.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

What project are you referring to? I assume you mean Folding@Home, (if so, I don't know, but someone else might,) but the term "folding" could mean any number of distinuted computing apps.

I run World Community Grid on multiple Vista machines, and it tells me the numbervof units done per individual machine.
I've heard of folding @ Home, just never tried starting. But that is the first thing that I thought of as well.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong

sorry, yes i mean folding@home. i know there are other "folding" distributed computer projects, i just forgot to put "@home" on the end.

anyways, after so many problems, i just went back to seti@home

CarlsonCustoms

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2007
I fold on vista 24/7 with 3 boxes and GPU client on one of the boxes.

You can tell if it uploaded the work correctly if you click 'status' 'log file' and scroll through to see if it said uploaded "thank you for your contribution" or something like that

Zack

PS Thanks to all that fold... hopefully something can come of it

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I fold on vista 24/7 with 3 boxes and GPU client on one of the boxes.

You can tell if it uploaded the work correctly if you click 'status' 'log file' and scroll through to see if it said uploaded "thank you for your contribution" or something like that

Zack

PS Thanks to all that fold... hopefully something can come of it

thanks for the reply. yes, it did say that in the log, but i was trying to see how many points i was getting from my mbp running Vista. since i have other machines folding also, i didn't know which points came from which machine

CarlsonCustoms

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2007
You can run a program called FAHMon that monitors the F@H data folder on your computer and gives you a PPD calculation. I do it for all the computers on my lan so I can see what each is cranking out.

Zack

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
thanks for the reply. yes, it did say that in the log, but i was trying to see how many points i was getting from my mbp running Vista. since i have other machines folding also, i didn't know which points came from which machine

Hey hey hey!!! What model Macbook Pro do you have, and how well does it seem to stand up to Folding? I'd be doing it on a new MBP probably in Vista, and I'm a bit worried about how well it would hold up, as a mid 2007 MBP got really loud when the CPUs were pushed to 100% (or in games too for that matter).

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Hey hey hey!!! What model Macbook Pro do you have, and how well does it seem to stand up to Folding? I'd be doing it on a new MBP probably in Vista, and I'm a bit worried about how well it would hold up, as a mid 2007 MBP got really loud when the CPUs were pushed to 100% (or in games too for that matter).

it is a late 2006 model (core2duo). but folding in vista did not push the CPU to 100% (but in leopard it does)

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
it is a late 2006 model (core2duo). but folding in vista did not push the CPU to 100% (but in leopard it does)

Oh, probably you were running a single threaded client on Windows? Windows shows CPU usage as...well like if you have three CPUs, each one would show 33% if it were running at 100%, for a total of 100% for the whole system, which is kind of weird.

But it seems okay doing that? Dang...I don't know for sure which system I'm going to order :confused:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Oh, probably you were running a single threaded client on Windows? Windows shows CPU usage as...well like if you have three CPUs, each one would show 33% if it were running at 100%, for a total of 100% for the whole system, which is kind of weird.

But it seems okay doing that? Dang...I don't know for sure which system I'm going to order :confused:

i had the regular windows client. there's a more advanced client for windows, but i could never get it to work properly on my mac pro, and i didn't even try on my macbook

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I used to run the multi threaded client, but the new version doesn't work right for me either. I just switched back to running multiple copies of the single threaded one (ie two separate instances of the program on my dual Pentium 4).

Anyway, it's really good your Macbook Pro is holding up to Folding! I'm leaning towards getting a MBP again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.