Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
The one feature I'm really looking forward to:

* An announced shipping date.

(Then I can finally be free of MS Access, assuming Filemaker 7 ships with PostGRE-SQL support.)

Raiden

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2002
Why is this in page 2 news? Thinksecret has a excellent rumor record I thought...

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
finally...

While it's still a way off, this will definitely be worth the upgrade, something that 6 wasn't worth to me.

Now if Apple would only provide a major upgrade/replacement for Appleworks...

Plissken

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2003
Tennessee
Somebody in my office has a developer's preview of this new Filemaker. I don't know much about Filemaker in general but i'll see if i can get any details about it. The woman I know is under NDA, not surprisingly, and that will make it tough, but I can tell you that there is not a set NDA expiration date if that helps let you know they don't have a shipping date yet(possibly).

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Originally posted by Foxer
Of course I just bought Filemaker 6 yesterday.:mad:
Duff-Man says....I assume you bought it because you need it, and since v7 is still likely months away there is no point in getting upset about it....FM has not even officially announced the new version yet....you need a DB now. If by some miracle they ship the new version really quickly they may have a really cheap upgrade for a recent purchase, who knows...but at very least you'll get v7 for the standard upgrade price and in the meantime will be able to do the work you need to wih v6......such is life with computer hardware and software........oh yeah!

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I own Filemaker 5, so I'm currently running it in Classic. Figured that there is no reason to purchase Filemaker 6. I own 5.5, but I'm afraid of compatibility issues with Panther. Hopefully it will be released about the same time as Office 2004! :)

phasornc

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2003
uh oh

Getting a little scared. The original rumors hinted that FileMaker Server would be able to serve websites by itself. Now we here FileMaker Unlimited will still be necessary. I sure hope the new version will run off OS X Apache and will not use a separate "Web Server Connector" in order to do so.

My one hope is that FileMaker will have an official supported PHP interface. CDML is dead, XML/XSLT is still to obscure. What FileMaker needs is a way that it can integrate with Dreamweaver MX for writing custom web apps. FileMaker 7 sounds like it will be a strong desktop app, but the ability to push a couple buttons and make it integrate with Dreamweaver the way MySQL or even Access does would really win me over.

falkaholic

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2004
Vancouver
ship date

FileMaker people have told me FM 7 is to be released in the second quarter, they did not make any secret of it. A sales rep told me when i asked about it, no NDA, just said that. Still vague, but it's just that they dont know either, its been delayed for months now.

anyway, I for one am a FM developer. This new version sounds great. The current version of FM are frustrating to work with.

willie

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
Toronto
Originally posted by mustang_dvs
(Then I can finally be free of MS Access, assuming Filemaker 7 ships with PostGRE-SQL support.)

As it's been explained to me, all ODBC-like database interfacing will actually be running through the web companion, and there are a lot of high-end SQL queries that aren't supported by WC (at least not to date).

W

Genie

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2003
heaven
Re: uh oh

Originally posted by phasornc

My one hope is that FileMaker will have an official supported PHP interface. CDML is dead, XML/XSLT is still to obscure.

Yes, I've been trying to connect my FM databases using fx.php...

I'm lost... need help.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
Originally posted by wdlove
I own Filemaker 5, so I'm currently running it in Classic. Figured that there is no reason to purchase Filemaker 6. I own 5.5, but I'm afraid of compatibility issues with Panther. Hopefully it will be released about the same time as Office 2004! :)

I run FM5.5 in Panther everyday. I have no problems whatsoever. Whoever told you to avoid it is sadly mistaken.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
Originally posted by Raiden
Why is this in page 2 news? Thinksecret has a excellent rumor record I thought...

No they don't. They've been wrong several times. And I'm pretty sure I noticed them go back and update an article, changing the wording a bit to make them sound "less wrong".

The biggest good I remember them making was stating with 100% accuracy that the PowerBook G4 would not get a SuperDrive - this was within weeks of a PowerBook G4 with SuperDrive being announced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.