PDA

View Full Version : Motorola to lay off 3,000 staff, iPhone to blame?

MacBytes
Nov 5, 2008, 08:05 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Motorola to lay off 3,000 staff, iPhone to blame? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20081105090502)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

GoCubsGo
Nov 5, 2008, 08:08 AM
Don't blame the iPhone. If you need to point fingers blame:
RIIM (Blackberry)
Poor GUIs on Moto sets
Poor receiver quality on their phones developed in the last 4-5 years.
Economy
and of course, the iPhone fits in there simply because it is, in fact, another phone that works better than most later model motos I've had.

The Q was a great phone for a while, something happened to it where it just became a POS. Perhaps it was my bad luck. Using a SLVR or a KRZR was difficult due to bad BT range and it was difficult to hear as the receiver couldn't ever be loud enough (this was a common complaint).

I wouldn't blame the iPhone specifically but we're on a Mac site so it's bound to be the iPhone's fault. :rolleyes:

mkrishnan
Nov 5, 2008, 08:24 AM
I think what Motorola did with the RAZR is classic Motorola. They come up with a great product, and they keep iterating it with minor tweaks that neither make the best things about it better (i.e. what Apple does with the iPhone becoming even thinner, brighter, having even better apps, etc) or slowly improve upon it's weaknesses (i.e. what RIM does with the Blackberry, making it progressively less ugly and less media-unfriendly).

Instead they keep issuing quirky variants that no one understands or wants. They take the perfectly good RAZR and then mysteriously introduce a long non-folding version, a version that's narrower but thicker, etc, etc. And then by the time they actually try a new design out, the phone is years and years old, and no one wants it anyway.

Same thing they did with the StarTAC, to the letter.

iGary
Nov 5, 2008, 08:25 AM
Motorola is to blame for the situation Motorola is in.

Boring phones.

edesignuk
Nov 5, 2008, 08:28 AM
Moto are failing because they haven't made a decent handset since the RAZR, and even that had it's problems (battery life, interface). At the time it's form factor was pretty unique though, and that give it it's edge.

If they didn't suck, they wouldn't have a problem. <- I'm so helpful.

TheHoff
Nov 5, 2008, 08:30 AM
Awful interfaces. I always liked their early flip case designs; I owned a Razr and probably three other flip Motorolas before that. I bought my wife a Motorola recently because it was very small and a $4 upgrade, and still... the awful interface remains.

Tenebrous
Nov 5, 2008, 08:56 AM
Speaking as someone who doesn't own a mobile phone, I was initially entranced by the RAZR, but once I saw it in action, my desire went right out the window. The usability SUCKED. Fortunately for me I don't absolutely need a cellphone, but if I did, the iPhone would be my first choice.

Hawkeye411
Nov 5, 2008, 08:56 AM
Yea .... I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do with the current global economy. :rolleyes:

MacBoobsPro
Nov 5, 2008, 10:42 AM
Yea .... I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do with the current global economy. :rolleyes:

I thought that was Apple's fault too?

ChrisA
Nov 5, 2008, 04:20 PM
...they keep issuing quirky variants that no one understands or wants. They take the perfectly good RAZR and then mysteriously introduce a long non-folding version, a version that's narrower but thicker, etc, etc.

This kind of thing has proved very successful with the soft drink and cigarette industries. What you do is split your product in to three dozen versions and fill an entire isle with the versions. Coke really does sell more product that way.

SeaFox
Nov 6, 2008, 01:25 AM
Link: Motorola to lay off 3,000 staff, iPhone to blame? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20081105090502)

Yeah, okay. Here's something closer to the truth:

Motorola to lay off 3,000 staff. Lousy products to blame.

or

Motorola to lay off 3,000 staff. Poor management to blame.

gkarris
Nov 6, 2008, 02:35 PM
I used to work for them...

The cuts are most directly designed to show shareholders that Motorola is taking steps toward profitability.

Yes, cutting jobs helps to restore profitability, as opposed to, say, making great products. The job cuts are only for the workers, not fat management.

Daley, who has visited engineers and labs run by Motorola for several years, said the engineering culture at the company has tended to be in favor of fostering "creativity and ingenuity," which isn't practical in difficult financial times like these,...

Seems to be working great for Apple... :eek:

What a joke of a company - it's all finally catching up to them. They deserve it...

brainwlm
Nov 8, 2008, 05:28 AM
Itís really true that iphone is the best instead of blackberry.

Speaking as someone who doesn't own a mobile phone, I was initially entranced by the RAZR, but once I saw it in action, my desire went right out the window. The usability SUCKED. Fortunately for me I don't absolutely need a cellphone, but if I did, the iPhone would be my first choice.

mkrishnan
Nov 8, 2008, 10:05 AM
This kind of thing has proved very successful with the soft drink and cigarette industries. What you do is split your product in to three dozen versions and fill an entire isle with the versions. Coke really does sell more product that way.

As Motorola does not, it would also appear to be very good evidence that cell phones are not soft drinks. ;)

SnowLeopard2008
Nov 8, 2008, 10:44 AM
Motorola made something cool and that was the RAZR, but in the recent 3-4 years or so, have not introduced anything new. Apple is not like that at all. They just introduced the Unibody structure and before that, the iPhone 3G w/ the app store. Let's not forget the most recent iPod update. Updates or refreshes to products come every half year, when new chips that are more power efficient or better performance come out. Motorola? Nope. the KRZR was fail. All of their XXZR phones have that "acid or laser etched keyboard". The Q was good, but still.

This is an example of a company who has been riding on an old man's back. The old man being the RAZR phone. Old men die after a few decades, and Motorola has collapsed.