PDA

View Full Version : i feel dumb -- liquid damage G4 ibook. help with damage control?

rinDMC
Nov 5, 2008, 04:27 PM
So, I'm an idiot... I spilled a drink on my iBook (I know, I know... believe me, I feel pretty dumb).

I shut it down, popped out the keyboard and sopped up what I could find. When I started it up again, it started fine but in safe boot mode. Keyboard is fried, obviously (which is how I got the machine in the first place, from someone who did the exact same thing and bought a new one rather than replace the keyboard), and I'm getting no airport detected and no sound output device detected.

My question is, does this mean the airport and soundcard are fried, or is there something else going on? I need help figuring out what parts to replace other than the keyboard.

any help greatly appreciated. thanks!

Eidorian
Nov 5, 2008, 04:29 PM
Spilled_Liquid_On_My_Mac_or_Keyboard

rinDMC
Nov 5, 2008, 05:05 PM
sorry, I should have specified: the spill was two days ago. I have already dried out the machine etc etc etc.

So, I have a dead keyboard, and "no device found" for airport and sound output. it's booting up automatically in safe bootmode. I've been trying to find info about safe boot and what it means/why it's doing it but have been unsuccessful.

I'm looking for anyone who can help me determine which parts I need to replace.

thanks!

toolbox
Nov 5, 2008, 05:05 PM
Ok here is the problems the keyboard is replaceable along with the aiport card. How ever. the sound device is a physical part of the motherboard. Which means the motherboard will need to be replaced.

If you can claim on insurance have a try.

hobbbz
Nov 5, 2008, 05:08 PM
Step 1: Buy a MacBook
Step 2: ????
Step 3: Profit!