PDA

View Full Version : Macs and airport security

Durandal7
Jun 4, 2002, 06:12 PM
I know that this is a shameless ripoff of jefhatfield's threads but discussion is slow enough today to justify it.
What's everyone's take on airport security nowadays? Any first-hand horror stories or ridiculous news articles?

Dignan
Jun 4, 2002, 06:12 PM
Someone put my dads ibook into a plastic container with a half inch of pepsi in the bottom....

jefhatfield
Jun 4, 2002, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Dignan
Someone put my dads ibook into a plastic container with a half inch of pepsi in the bottom....

sounds like a sticky ibook..let it dry thoroughly before booting up and you may be ok

airpost security as tight as it is currently will just be a reality for the long term...the consequences of not having it is just too horrifying

i am worried about really small scale terror like pipe bombs and car bombs because the perpetrator can strike again and again without having to give up their life

the small scale stuff, three thousand deaths one at a time over a period of time would be far more devastating and scary than one large attack in one location

the small scale stuff is probably why israel takes such a hard stance towards terrorism since it's plaqued them for nearly 55 years

Gelfin
Jun 4, 2002, 07:44 PM
Over Christmas my TiBook got swabbed for chemical testing at SFO, but not at ATL. Of course, the Atlanta airport has a much better security system in place. It's like you're walking through a Star Trek set or something.

cleo
Jun 4, 2002, 07:50 PM
http://foxnews.com/story/0,2933,54163,00.html

Wounded Soldier With Wired Jaw Prevented From Boarding Plane With Wire Clippers

SAN FRANCISCO*ó*A U.S. Army lieutenant whose jaw is wired shut from a bullet wound he received in Afghanistan claims screeners at San Francisco International Airport denied him permission to pass through security with wire clippers used to snap open his jaw in an emergency.

Rower_CPU
Jun 4, 2002, 09:11 PM
I've been through San Diego (duh, I live here) and Monterey since 9/11.

SD was really bad at first...2-3 hour delays. Now, it's pretty much back to normal, other than the fact that you can no longer be in the gate area if you don't have a ticket.

Monterey is very small, and has the typical small airport plexiglass (or whatever it is) gate area.

Both have National Guard in place.

I love flying, and I'm glad things have gotten back to semi-normalcy.:)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 4, 2002, 09:59 PM
I've had an opportunity to work at BWI (Baltimore) and had to go through all the security hassle to get a badge that would let me come and go in the hangars as work required. I had to sit around forever waiting to get my picture and finger prints taken, basically wasted almost a whole day. It was by far the worst wait I've had to deal with in a while, worse than any DMV would have to offer....

teabgs
Jun 5, 2002, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
I've had an opportunity to work at BWI (Baltimore) and had to go through all the security hassle to get a badge that would let me come and go in the hangars as work required. I had to sit around forever waiting to get my picture and finger prints taken, basically wasted almost a whole day. It was by far the worst wait I've had to deal with in a while, worse than any DMV would have to offer....

I don't know man, The DMV or MVA if youre from maryland can be pretty harsh......

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2002, 07:31 AM
I'm sure it can, but I've had plenty of opportunity to see DMVs in action and this place blew them all away. It was a small room, 3 people working behind the counter, most of the time standing around waiting for something, for what, I'm not sure. And we just got to sit there and stair at Osama posters - wanted dead or alive, for 4-5 hours....

I don't even want to think about the people sitting around us. Every airport employee needs badges and they have to be redone every year, so there was a constant influx of people. It was just nasty.

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2002, 08:19 AM
I've been in discussion with dukestreet on this one just last week...but here's my story....

ps: just imagine if I had been traveling with my TiBook on this specific occasion...he he he

don't get me wrong....I am all for safety as well...

but I did find it quite ridiculous that the only bag I had on me...which I was checking in...was subject to random search...being completely unpacked and everything I had scrutinized...

then through the metal detectors being summoned to frisking...including my shoes & such...no problem...

but when I'm waiting at the gate to board....I just so happen to hold one of the special #'s that rewards me with another check...the same one as at the metal detector...I get to spend 25 mins with a security personell...nearly get stripsearched...

again...I am for security...but damn...most terrorists aren't going to New Orleans via Oklahoma! :rolleyes: ;)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2002, 08:43 AM
You were just having bad security kharma, it happens sometimes. When it rains it pours.....

And maybe they thought you looked like a terrorist:D :rolleyes:

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2002, 08:45 AM
You were just having bad security kharma, it happens sometimes. When it rains it pours.....

he he he...it makes me wonder what exactly did I do in my past life? ;)

as for looking like a terrorist...I hope not! :eek:

britboy
Jun 5, 2002, 08:49 AM

Well, you saw his photo. Would you not have thought so too? ;) :D :p

My worst airport experiences have come when flying into Heathrow from Yemen. There isn't any particularly bad memory that stands out, but every time the plane would have to wait out on some distant part of the ground whilst certain security checks were made, and when we were finally allowed off we'd be searched rather thoroughly. It was just more hassle really.

Haven't been on one of those flights for a few years now, so it's probably not quite so bad anymore.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2002, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by britboy

Haven't been on one of those flights for a few years now, so it's probably not quite so bad anymore.

Ha you think? Ever since Yemenis bombed the US ship, I'd imagine any and all international traffic from there would be heavily scrutinized. Its still considered unsafe for Americans to travel there, a lot of kidnappings and such.

What were you dong there?

britboy
Jun 5, 2002, 08:57 AM

Ha you think? Ever since Yemenis bombed the US ship, I'd imagine any and all international traffic from there would be heavily scrutinized. Its still considered unsafe for Americans to travel there, a lot of kidnappings and such.

What were you dong there?

I lived there for 5 years. My dad works for the UN as a ports advisor, and was offered a job in Aden (the southern capital) to help get the port set up to handle major international traffic. He's been there for 15 years now! I left just before the gulf war, and haven't been back since. Shame really, because i really like that country.

Fair point about the USS Cole.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2002, 09:07 AM
My dad works for the UN as a ports advisor, and was offered a job in Aden (the southern capital) to help get the port set up to handle major international traffic. He's been there for 15 years now!

Whoa! Is your dad still there? Was he working at the port the USS Cole stayed in when it was bombed? I can imagine things must have been a bit crazy for your dad when that all happened.

britboy
Jun 5, 2002, 09:51 AM

Whoa! Is your dad still there? Was he working at the port the USS Cole stayed in when it was bombed? I can imagine things must have been a bit crazy for your dad when that all happened.

His office was about 500 yards from where the Cole was moored. He had quite a busy few weeks after that, what with helping coordinate between the port officials and the CIA out there!

He loves it out there. After 15 years, I sometimes wonder if he's become an arab himself :p I'll be seeing him again in about a months' time... see what's changed this time :rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2002, 10:13 AM
Wow, that is wild. So he's not worried about security for himself? Is your mom with him?

My dad use to travel in the Middle East for work and happened to be in Kuwait 2 weeks before the invation. That was a close call for him.

britboy
Jun 5, 2002, 10:26 AM
Security seems to be the least of his concerns. When there was a civil war in Yemen a few years ago, he literally got on the last commercial flight leaving the country! He's pretty well known out there though, and doesn't get any trouble from locals (apart from stress related to a bad work ethic amongst some of the staff :rolleyes: ). It gets quite funny at times. One of my brothers was out there visiting, and had his jeep for the day to get around. The police pulled him over, because they recognised the jeep, knew who it belonged to, and assumed it had been stollen! :p

My mother's not out there anymore. It was too difficult for her to live in such an environment, where women are expected to be completely submissive to the men. She couldn't even go out shopping on her own. The way things are works out reasonably well though. She lives in London, taking care of affairs at this end (such as putting myself and my three brothers through the later stages of education), and he's out there doing what he so loves, earning the money.

Sounds like you dad got lucky! Not the best of times to be in that general area :rolleyes: I was in Israel and Lebanon during a lull in their fighting; managed to hit a 3 week gap inbetween bullets :D

Hemingray
Jun 5, 2002, 10:44 AM
Long before 9-11, I was up in Canada and a friend gave me a Macintosh Portable. When it went through the checkpoint at the airport they gave it a very strange look and made me open it. I flipped up the top lid so they could see it was a computer. I said it wasn't operational (which it wasn't, due to the dead brick battery), and they waved me on. Now that I think about it, that honkin' piece of archaic Macintosh could have easily contained a bomb, you know? :eek: That definitely wouldn't pass today! Scary...

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2002, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Hemingray
Now that I think about it, that honkin' piece of archaic Macintosh could have easily contained a bomb, you know? :eek: That definitely wouldn't pass today! Scary...

That's a good point. Make sure you have batteries powered up when you go through security. But chances are you would have just been asked to plug it in to an outlet, so that would have worked and you would have been on your way, with a moderate delay. One of the good reasons to have your laptop in sleep mode, that way it comes on relatively fast.

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Hemingray
Now that I think about it, that honkin' piece of archaic Macintosh could have easily contained a bomb, you know? :eek: That definitely wouldn't pass today! Scary...

I had heard some stories where people had to literally turn on their laptops to prove that they worked as computers...

in the story I posted above...when they were going through my check-in bag...I had to point & shoot my camera to prove it was a camera...

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

I had heard some stories where people had to literally turn on their laptops to prove that they worked as computers...

That happens all the time, and I even had to do that before 9/11. But its was random and not everyone has to. Hopefully someone will figure out a way to make the security procedures simpler, easier, and more accurate. But until that happens, we're going to have to expect to get searched and questioned.

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2002, 11:38 AM
But until that happens, we're going to have to expect to get searched and questioned.

I know...I'm hoping they eventually come up with a system that actually works...

everyday it seems we're hearing about security breaches in airports all across the country...:(

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2002, 12:14 PM
Well, the biggest issue is the fact that you could make more money flipping burgers at McDonald's than be a security guard at an airport. There was talk of making all the guards federal employees, did that ever happen?

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2002, 12:39 PM
here was talk of making all the guards federal employees, did that ever happen?

I know...and to be honest I'm not completely sure where they stand on that one. I've heard that some of the security are federal...while others are still not. :confused:

I'm searching for an answer on this one...unless someone here can clear it up first... ;)

MacKenzie999
Jun 5, 2002, 01:28 PM
"that honkin' piece of archaic Macintosh could have easily contained a bomb,"

Or suppose it barely worked, you booted it up and the bomb icon appeared? I bet that would have stirred things up a bit.

On a recent flight from Boston to Amsterdam they pulled off a passenger named Osama something. That's got to be a tough handle these days...

I'm off to Tokyo in a couple of weeks, never been, any travel advice from anyone who's been there is greatly appreciated. Feel free to email at mackenzie999@attbi.com if you feel it doesn't belong in this thread, and thanks!

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by MacKenzie999
On a recent flight from Boston to Amsterdam they pulled off a passenger named Osama something. That's got to be a tough handle these days..

No kidding. But to worry about him because he had the same name sounds exactly like the over zealousness you'd see in airport security. Sheesh, I'd go out and get my named changed. I hope Osama isn't like John in the English language... :D

drastik
Jun 5, 2002, 01:46 PM
No, I think they dropped that idea. They are reistituting the sky marshalls, however. Us Marshalls wearing guns but in plain clothes. Its a deterance thing, the drunk in the bulkhead might have a piece, that sort of thing.

As far as pay scale goes, federal can be bottom barrel too, my day job is a federal program, though I'm not an actual federal employee, and i don't make snot at it.

The other problem for airport gaurds is tedium. Like any repetitive taskers, they get zoned out. Say the same three words for eight hours straight, or stare at peoples undies through a grainy video monitor, and anyone's likely to slip up.

macktheknife
Jun 5, 2002, 01:58 PM
I've had to send my TiBook through the scanners on some plastic containers several times, although there were no problems in each case since I made sure the containers were clean and that my TiBook was placed properly.

I've been subjected to some random searches before, but it's no big deal.

However, I have an Indian supervisor (born in Philadelphia and speaks flawless English) who was refused boarding at John Wayne Airport in Orange County when an annonymous passenger caught her speaking on her cell to someone (her mom) in a "foreign" language. She was taken to a room where she had to wait for 45 minutes before a disinterested officer basically took some basic information down (name, address, etc.) before being allowed to leave. Of course, she had missed her flight by then, and *no one* apologized to her.

Considering the atmosphere at the time (it was only about a month after 9/11), I guess everyone is a bit tense. However, multiply this incident across the country (and I have heard other passengers being treated worse), and I think it's sad that Americans who look a certain way (and let's face it, my supervisor wasn't even an Arab and she was stopped) are going to have to pay a "price" for not looking like an American. I agree with proponents that some racial profiling will be necessary (i.e. if a terrorist is going to be green, you should probably pay more attention to someone who looks green), but I do believe that use of race or looks is a *very* blunt tool to solve this problem since it will be misused by the everyone.

Way off tangent, but this has to be brought up . . .

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2002, 02:07 PM
But that gets to the whole issue of racial profiling, which in the case of the Hijackers of 9/11 would have worked nicely. I'm for it to a certain degree, even though it has some ethical issues surrounding it. What it boils down to is what is more important, your life or your freedom. Being that you're not giving all that much up, I'd choose my life in this situation. But someone who fits the given profile will find a certain amount of discrimination, which will get old sooner than later. Its a tough call and not an easy solution, I just hope there aren't any more incidents, which would only make matters worse.

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2002, 02:39 PM
I think it all depends also on who is being subjected to questioning. It's very easy for everyone to say, "I support any measures necessary to ensure we are safe while air-traveling." Racial profiling can be a positive tool to use when the facts point to a specific foreign group, but when u are subject to it then it becomes a completely different situation.

In my case when I was coming back home from Oklahoma, I was a bit surprised that my check-in bag was subject to open search. The shoe checking & complete body scanning at the metal detectors didn't move me much. It was only when I was "randomly selected" to be brought into a private room to go through it all over again that I became annoyed. I've been told a few times in the past that I could pass for having a Middle Eastern background (brown hair, olive skin, light eyes). So does that mean I was profiled by Southwest's staff as to fit the physical description of a terrorist?

I don't want to seem like I'm labeling myself as victim in this situation. I understand they need to take, in some cases, extreme measures to ensure safety. I think there needs to be a lot of work done before we'll ever see a system that will work smoothly and efficiently. Air travel will never be the same ever again for anyone since 9-11. I am completely for tighter security measures. We've seen lots of changes in the airports since 9-11, but still there seems to be more incidents now than before the attacks.

macktheknife
Jun 5, 2002, 02:46 PM
I agree with the "your life vs. your freedom" point for the most part. However, the question has to be asked: What amount of freedom is one willing to sacrifice to live? And what amount of a certain group of individuals (Arab-looking in the eyes of the beholder, for instance) should have to give up more of their freedoms?

James Madison, I believe, once said that the greatest threat to democracy is war. War in of itself is mostly an irrational act, and the atmosphere of war makes people act irrationally and in a paranoid manner that forces the government to curtail civil liberties.

I guess that being stopped at an airport or something isn't really "giving all that much up." However, imagine this: You are someone who have lived here all your life and are an American in almost every respect. The next day, you find yourself singled out by airport security, building security, the police etc. These "inconveniences" eventually will reinforce the idea that you are indeed a second-class citizen since others will not have to undergo such "inconveniences."

Remember that Japanese Americans were asked to undergo some inconveniences during World War II so that they could be rounded up and shipped off to what amounted to (by definition) desert concentration camps. Not single case of Japanese sabotage had been proven then, and no German or Italian Americans were asked to do the same. The Japanese Americans were only rounded up on the West Coast and not Hawaii due to the hysteria about the "Yellow Peril." And to add insult to injuries, the Japanese Americans were asked to fight for the U.S. Army (which the Nissei division did and did so heroically) after going through all the "inconveniences."

Please don't think that I'm trying to start a flame war on such a divisive and sensitive topic. I agree that if you know that a terrorist is going to be an Arab, you'd better pay more attention to someone who's an Arab. All I want to do is to remind readers (even if itís only MacRumors members) that the price of racial profiling will be borne disproportionately by some people of a different skin color. Just something to chew on . . .

jelloshotsrule
Jun 5, 2002, 02:48 PM
i agree with eye. racial profiling seems like it should help and is pretty good. but i know that if i were a good american citizen (or even if i weren't, but not a terrorist) and i got pulled out cause i'm middle eastern (which i'm not) i'd be pissed.

but at the same time, it's like security at the airport. i know i'm not carrying a bomb, but no one else does, so they can check. not exactly the same of course but hey. thus, it's a grey area and i'm not sure.

also, i did hear about plenty of people changing their names to more "american" names. not just "osama"s but all kinds of foreign names.

pretty sucky. some of them are quite nice.

snl did a funny skit about it too.

anyhoo, word out.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2002, 03:03 PM
Well, that's the whole problem with racial profiling, someone is going to get pissed regardless. There isn't an easy solution right now. Hopefully in the future the INS or what ever takes over for them, will have a better way of tracking illegal alliens. And even then that doesn't solve all the problems. If you're at the American Embassy in Saudi Arabia, doing racial profiling won't be worth your time.

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by macktheknife
I agree that if you know that a terrorist is going to be an Arab, you'd better pay more attention to someone who's an Arab. All I want to do is to remind readers (even if itís only MacRumors members) that the price of racial profiling will be borne disproportionately by some people of a different skin color. Just something to chew on . . .

That's very true...it's all going to explode in everyone's faces if/when terrorist groups start recruiting other races to carryout these acts...and I'm sure it's already in the works.

It's too easy presently, though, to direct our attention to one specific ethnicity, being that our troubles to date deal with them in a big way. It's just sad how it ends up stereotyping people who may fit a general description, but could very well be the furthest thing from that group.

macktheknife
Jun 5, 2002, 03:12 PM
I have to say that the responses that I'm getting (as few as they are) are definitely more moderate and well-reasoned than other posts on the Internet concerning the same issue.

You have people on Cnn.com, for instance, wondering why we can't just kick out all non-whites (but not guys like McVeigh, of course) and retards like Bill O'Reilly and conservatives Ann Coulter who just want all non-whites to be racially profiled (and essentially relegated to second-class citizenship)--consequences be damned.

I guess as long as all Americans take a critical and thoughtful look at some thorny and divisive issues, we'll make it out OK.

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2002, 03:16 PM
I have to say that the responses that I'm getting (as few as they are) are definitely more moderate and well-reasoned than other posts on the Internet concerning the same issue.

I think what helps here is that most of us are very open-minded individuals, who understand the way things work in this country. I really hope I'm not coming off too much as having a major chip on my shoulder about the topic, which I do not. I honestly feel I can contribute a different side to this conversation since I seem to be the only person who's really felt like they were profiled in an airport. What's funny about the whole thing is that I flew 3 weeks after 9-11, and although security was on high alert, did not have one single encounter with any of these things I've talked about here.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2002, 03:18 PM
You have people on Cnn.com, for instance, wondering why we can't just kick out all non-whites (but not guys like McVeigh, of course) and retards like Bill O'Reilly and conservatives Ann Coulter who just want all non-whites to be racially profiled (and essentially relegated to second-class citizenship)--consequences be damned.

There are all types of idiots, that's for sure. I don't think anyone coming in here and spouting off about that sort of thing would last long. The thread would be shut down and warnings given out.

That's one of the nice things about MacRumors, the members here are pretty openminded, are from all backgrounds and races. So it doesn't really help you to start singling out anyone based on ethnicity.

But to racial profile such a large group of individuals sort of defeats the purpose for doing it in the first place. The idea is to narrow down on a few people, not try and look at everyone.

Rower_CPU
Jun 5, 2002, 03:24 PM
There are all types of idiots, that's for sure. I don't think anyone coming in here and spouting off about that sort of thing would last long. The thread would be shut down and warnings given out.

That's one of the nice things about MacRumors, the members here are pretty openminded, are from all backgrounds and races. So it doesn't really help you to start singling out anyone based on ethnicity.

But to racial profile such a large group of individuals sort of defeats the purpose for doing it in the first place. The idea is to narrow down on a few people, not try and look at everyone.
<sarcasm>
"Kick 'em all out! Every last un-American one of 'em!!!

There should be no-one here in our country but us Americans cuz we were here first...after we kicked out the Spanish, French and Indians that is."
</sarcasm>

My best attempt at a closed-minded response...just to liven things up. :D

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2002, 03:29 PM

That may be true, but consider it in this aspect:

Blue & White G3s are known to have bad FireWire issues. While not all of them suffer the plague, there are many that do. How would someone go about singling out the bad ones from the good ones? If u knew this, u would look all across the board to be careful of them.

The point is, it's hard to narrow down to a specific fraction of a group when it comes to something trivial as race. Unless there is a very specific & obvious calling card for which to look. Then again, when u start doing this, u are still specifically targeting one group of people and making an attempt to weed out those who may be felt a threat.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 5, 2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

<sarcasm>
"Kick 'em all out! Every last un-American one of 'em!!!

There should be no-one here in our country but us Americans cuz we were here first...after we kicked out the Spanish, French and Indians that is."
</sarcasm>

My best attempt at a closed-minded response...just to liven things up. :D

hey jerk! are you white?

if not.

get out! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Rower_CPU
Jun 5, 2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
hey jerk! are you white?

if not.

get out! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2002, 06:16 PM
maybe someone should bring back the thread on useless posting? ;)

Rower_CPU
Jun 5, 2002, 06:19 PM

hehehehe...

Sometimes a smilie is worth a thousand words.:D

I wish you could use more than 7 in a post.:(

jelloshotsrule
Jun 5, 2002, 06:22 PM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

didn't you hear me the first time? we don't want your kind here!!!! :rolleyes:

britboy
Jun 5, 2002, 06:24 PM

hehehehe...

Sometimes a smilie is worth a thousand words.:D

I wish you could use more than 7 in a post.:(

What is it about the number of smilies? Can you only have so many in one post before you get a warning from admin or something?

jelloshotsrule
Jun 5, 2002, 06:27 PM

What is it about the number of smilies? Can you only have so many in one post before you get a warning from admin or something?

try it. put in like 10 or so. you'll see. you just get a message saying it's got too many graphics.

a message like when you try to post too quickly one after another or something.. that's all.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

britboy
Jun 5, 2002, 06:29 PM

try it. put in like 10 or so. you'll see. you just get a message saying it's got too many graphics.

At your command ;) :p :D :rolleyes: :cool: :) :eek: ;)

jelloshotsrule
Jun 5, 2002, 06:31 PM

At your command ;) :p :D :rolleyes: :cool: :) :eek: ;)

what's funny is when you quote someone. and they had a bunch of smileys in their post. and you put only a couple in yours. you still get shut down.

happened to me a few days ago when quoting none other than the happy go lucky moderator himself...... surprise surprise! :rolleyes:

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2002, 06:43 PM
I'm definitely not knocking u guys for having a little fun here...

but I am disappointed this thread kinda died out...I was really into the topic of discussion... :(

oh well...so it goes...

ok...commence with the smilies ;) :D :cool:

jelloshotsrule
Jun 5, 2002, 06:46 PM
I'm definitely not knocking u guys for having a little fun here...

but I am disappointed this thread kinda died out...I was really into the topic of discussion... :(

oh well...so it goes...

ok...commence with the smilies ;) :D :cool:

get off your high horse!

are there any foreign folks here who have been searched excessively at airports? i'd be interested to hear from them for sure....

and i hate to admit it but.... i was in ghana in january. and at the airport on the way back, me and my bro saw some muslim folks (the northern part of the country is heavily muslim) and it was a bit intimidating.

it's just a mindset though. and it's not right. so i guess the key is to realize that while there are muslims/arabs who hate the US, there are plenty of other people who hate the US too.... even some americans!

heck, i hate some of our policies.....

back on topic enough?

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2002, 06:49 PM

and i hate to admit it but.... i was in ghana in january. and at the airport on the way back, me and my bro saw some muslim folks (the northern part of the country is heavily muslim) and it was a bit intimidating.

back on topic enough?

no worries there...it's sort of like driving through a bad neighborhood...it's a natural reaction to feel a certain way...but how u react on it is what really matters most...

and yes...u did a wonderful job jello!

just for that....u get smilies!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2002, 06:56 PM

No, that would be my job, and I just did one recently and shut it down on myself, so I think we can wait a couple of months for another 'relevancy vs. intelligence of response'

Moderator D

jelloshotsrule
Jun 5, 2002, 06:57 PM
no worries there...it's sort of like driving through a bad neighborhood...it's a natural reaction to feel a certain way...but how u react on it is what really matters most...

and yes...u did a wonderful job jello!

just for that....u get smilies!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

would living in harlem as a straight up honkey count as driving through a bad neighborhood?

haha. most of the people were awesome to us. others weren't. and we got stares. but clearly black people get stares in mainly white areas, like my hick hometown here in southern pa southern cross land...

yuck.

and thanks for the smiles.

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2002, 06:59 PM

Moderator D

he he he...I like the new author sig... ;)

so now we have eyelikeart "The Happy Go Lucky Moderator" and
dukestreet, otherwise known as "Moderator D" :D

I wonder what Lemon is going to proclaim himself as?

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2002, 07:01 PM
yeah....I'd say Harlem would constitute well enough...

I know what u mean about looks...I live in New Orleans...there is a degree of racism here in the certain areas... :(

jelloshotsrule
Jun 5, 2002, 07:04 PM
yeah....I'd say Harlem would constitute well enough...

I know what u mean about looks...I live in New Orleans...there is a degree of racism here in the certain areas... :(

hmmm. that sucks. there arent' too many blacks or asians or other minorities here in the area. and that's kinda crappy. it just gets boring seeing all these honkeys day in and day out. ha.

as for the mod names...

get over yourselves.... eh???

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2002, 07:04 PM

haha. most of the people were awesome to us. others weren't.

Up in Alaska I drove through an Alaskan Indian village, not Eskimo, another tribe, but in essence just the same (but not to them). We got such nasty looks, and people started to wave us out, violently. It wasn't the nicest place, but the guy I was with was effectively a native alaskan (European, but living there most of his adult life) and wanted us to see the place.

The US Government pays them all a stipend and they just squander it. The housing is not taken care of, cars and trucks in different states of disrepare litter the road sides. Sad actually.

(Only going to use Moderator D when in official mode...)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2002, 07:10 PM

hmmm. that sucks. there arent' too many blacks or asians or other minorities here in the area. and that's kinda crappy. it just gets boring seeing all these honkeys day in and day out. ha.

as for the mod names...

Please, don't act like a spoiled little brat who didn't get his slice of cake!

Actually, I love diversity, that's what is so great about DC, lots of different ethnicities = lots of great food. But its not a huge city, much smaller than NY, Chicago, LA, San Fran...., and no huge, tall, buildings to block out the sky.

britboy
Jun 5, 2002, 07:24 PM

London has a pretty wide variety of races. You've got whites, blacks, asians, caribeans.... everything under the sun (kind of normal for a major capital). The only problems i ever had regarding race came from white londoners though. One of my brothers and I would usually talk to each other in a foreign language (spanish most of the time), just because we'd enjoy keeping it up. A bunch of yobs took offence to this, and promptly beat the crap out of us. I'm more wary of white youths now than i am of any other particular group. Turning the tables.... ha.

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2002, 07:25 PM
Actually, I love diversity, that's what is so great about DC, lots of different ethnicities = lots of great food. But its not a huge city, much smaller than NY, Chicago, LA, San Fran...., and no huge, tall, buildings to block out the sky.

I'll second that motion...it's such a melting pot of ethnicity & culture...

oh...and about the movie last night...of course it takes place partly in DC...I was salivating...he he he :D

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2002, 07:26 PM

as for the mod names...

just remember...u gave me my mod title... ;)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2002, 07:33 PM
I just love seeing DC in the movies, and how they portray things incorrectly. The worst case of this is Enemy of the State, with Wil Smith. They move from DC to Baltimore in the adjacent scenes, like it was the same city. But Hollowman with Kevin Bacon was partially filmed in a house right down my street, very cool, even thougth the movie sucked.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 5, 2002, 07:34 PM
Please, don't act like a spoiled little brat who didn't get his slice of cake!

umm. i don't follow. what am i missing this time?

and yes, that's what i'm saying. diversity is good. and i like nyc.

where's the slice of cake come from?

some sort of marble cake?

jelloshotsrule
Jun 5, 2002, 07:35 PM

just remember...u gave me my mod title... ;)

oh yeah. well that's cool.

it's cool to see places right near me in nyc in movies too. but it gets old quick.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2002, 07:40 PM

it's cool to see places right near me in nyc in movies too. but it gets old quick.

How so? I walked through Soho last year and was amazed at all the places that come up in the movies there. Even Sex in the City, HBO series has been there. That and Tiffany's. I like seeing landmarks that I'm familliar with, sort of like I have a bigger connection with the movie. Although I laugh when ever I see the Santa Monica Pier on the big screen. I spent many a weekend there rollerblading that one summer, I could drive around the area today and no where I was. But that is one site that's used too much.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 5, 2002, 07:44 PM
How so? I walked through Soho last year and was amazed at all the places that come up in the movies there. Even Sex in the City, HBO series has been there. That and Tiffany's. I like seeing landmarks that I'm familliar with, sort of like I have a bigger connection with the movie. Although I laugh when ever I see the Santa Monica Pier on the big screen. I spent many a weekend there rollerblading that one summer, I could drive around the area today and no where I was. But that is one site that's used too much.

well sex in the city takes place in the city right? so it makes sense they'd show up in soho and such.

i'm just saying, you get used to it and it's not as exciting. the coolest thing was when they were filming the tenenbaums in queens (i think- could've been brooklyn or bronx. they're all the same to me. oh snap!). i wanted to go, but i only found out once it was done..... blah.

but like seeing them filming mariah carey's new video near washington square or something. just not too interesting. except the massive lights at night. cool to look at. must get annoying for the neighborhood folks though.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2002, 07:48 PM
Speaking of blah, Greg the bunny is on tonight, I might have to watch it, its either a rerun of one I missed or a new episode.

I have a Flash 5 book I've been going through to learn it, I hope by next week I'll have some cool stuff to put online. Are you going to do FlashMX or 5? Do you know what the difference is other than OSX native?

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2002, 07:51 PM
I know exactly what u guys mean...I think it's the same for every city...

whenever a movie sets in New Orleans, it's always this wild party...Mardi Gras seems to be going on all the time...there's always some dumb@ss people starting trouble...or they always have Jazz music playing...

sadly enough...while Jazz music is in the heart of this city...most people here do not embrace it...too busy with some thumping bass driving down the street... :rolleyes:

Durandal7
Jun 5, 2002, 07:54 PM
I feel so left out, the only time that anything near me has been filmed was for an episode of Stargate.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 5, 2002, 07:55 PM
mod-d:

not sure the differences b/w the versions of flash. a more traditional graphics guy like eye or igav would probably know better than myself.... i'll have to do it though. i have a decent amount of projects going on.... including editing job, the job i just got (friday or monday starting), learning how to and making a pretty full dvd, and another little project.

so in the next week or so i should free up some time to learn stuff...

hglm:

yeah, new orleans is always girls flashing or jazz. or both. the latter is a cool enough image. the former is gross.... anytime i hear someone's going there, i find it hard not to assume that's the reason... ha. sorry!

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2002, 07:56 PM
.too busy with some thumping bass driving down the street... :rolleyes: I would say you get that most every where today, I don't like it all that much, but I have been known to crank a song or two, especially with the XM Radio in the car. Thankfully I have the factory installed speakers, otherwise my hearing would be pretty bad. Also, if I do play it loud, I tend to have the windows up, not wanting to force it on other people.

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2002, 08:03 PM
jello...

it's true...it's the image most people have...the nonstop party...which it can be...but there's lot more to the city than tits & beer...:eek:

Mod D...

I'm holding onto the stock system in my car as well...it sounds damned good enough...although I sometimes long for a little more power behind it...but there are so many more important things dto do with my money these day...;)

jelloshotsrule
Jun 5, 2002, 08:07 PM
you guys ****ing kidding??? i love a good hip hop sizong while i bust down the strizeet. covered head to toe in tats. wearing my colors. and shiznit.

ahhh. i hate that stuff.

but i do like to have loud music sometimes. but loud positive music playing is different than loud "smack my bitch up" music.

eye: tits and beer. more than that in new orleans?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhaahahahahahah
ok.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2002, 08:09 PM
I'm holding onto the stock system in my car as well...it sounds damned good enough...although I sometimes long for a little more power behind it...but there are so many more important things dto do with my money these day...;)

After going to the Apple Store last night and seeing all the goodies, especially the new TiPB (awesome screen) hoooked up to a 23" monitor, oh to drool......

I know I'll be getting a new machine next year, and right now I'm still serious about the 3 screens. If they come out with a wide format 17" that they call 19" even better. Then I might just get 2 and get the 3rd later. I'm not bach'ing it anymore, so the wife has to be in on the decision. Its all on justification....

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2002, 08:13 PM

I know I'll be getting a new machine next year, and right now I'm still serious about the 3 screens.

I hear that....a new system next year is part of my priority list...

it'll probably be late next year...but it'll be sometime next year... ;)

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2002, 08:15 PM
but i do like to have loud music sometimes. but loud positive music playing is different than loud "smack my bitch up" music.

eye: tits and beer. more than that in new orleans?

he he he...oh by the way....I still need to download some songs as per your suggestion...

as for the tits & beer...only during Mardi Gras...I've actually seen photos of the police around here promoting the flashing of hot young girls...

it's terrible I tell ya... :rolleyes: ;)

jelloshotsrule
Jun 5, 2002, 08:17 PM
it's terrible.... but in an attractive way that makes me want to go down there now!!!! transport me to new orleans now!

oh wait.

yeah, download them. if you have high speed just go do it now. sensefield.com

media

you can get a few songs off there.

just freaking do it hoser!

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2002, 08:19 PM
what are these songs, I hate being out of the loop....

Rower_CPU
Jun 5, 2002, 08:23 PM
The latest version of Flash has many improvements that go way beyond OS X compatibility.

There are a lot of new "drag-and-drop" UI elements such as scroll bars and buttons as well as better ActionScripting...and much more!!!

I have 2 Flash 5 books I never finished that I need to go back to before they become too painfully out-of-date. :(

jelloshotsrule
Jun 5, 2002, 08:23 PM
what are these songs, I hate being out of the loop....

feel free to check em out

it's just an indie rock type band i like a ton. and given eye's positive outlook on life, and their very positive lyrics, i figured i'd tell him to check em out.

i've already sent some to mc68k, recommended them to 3rdpath (he might buy a cd of theirs) and others...

the first real editing i did was of a music video i made to a song of theirs for a girl. needless to say, she didn't really fall for that trick. but the band asked for a copy and i hung out with em at their sound check and got onthe guest list (it was 18+ show and i was 17 so that helped me get in) then they dedicated that song to me. which was neat.

blah. check it out. sensefield.com

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2002, 09:46 PM
jello....they are pretty damned cool! :D

to be honest...I think I caught them on Craig Kilborn when they were on...right around the end if I remember correctly...

have u ever listened to Jars of Clay by chance? they are labeled Christian, but they are still pretty damned cool... ;)

jelloshotsrule
Jun 5, 2002, 09:54 PM
jello....they are pretty damned cool! :D

to be honest...I think I caught them on Craig Kilborn when they were on...right around the end if I remember correctly...

have u ever listened to Jars of Clay by chance? they are labeled Christian, but they are still pretty damned cool... ;)

cool. they're getting more popularity, but as i've said before, they are one of the few bands i know that's keeping their integrity while getting big. hence their "hit" song is about NOT getting it on. very rare.

cool that you saw em. they were on jay leno too. but kilborn was better i think. less nervous. he rocked out a bit more. he's amazing in concert. gets so into it.

why is a band being labeled christian bad? ha. i hear ya though, most "christian" bands are not good. but the singer of sense field is a christian, and it kinda shows, but his lyrics are just positive and great, not all about jesus per se.

never heard jars of clay. heard OF them though.

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2002, 10:15 PM

why is a band being labeled christian bad? ha. i hear ya though, most "christian" bands are not good. but the singer of sense field is a christian, and it kinda shows, but his lyrics are just positive and great, not all about jesus per se.

never heard jars of clay. heard OF them though.

it's nothing bad...but for most people...it would be a direct turn-off...sometimes it's hard to get past those walls people put up around themselves...

Jars of Clay is pretty cool...if u wanna download something to test them out, u may have heard the song "Flood" ;)

jelloshotsrule
Jun 5, 2002, 10:18 PM
it's nothing bad...but for most people...it would be a direct turn-off...sometimes it's hard to get past those walls people put up around themselves...

Jars of Clay is pretty cool...if u wanna download something to test them out, u may have heard the song "Flood" ;)

that's what i figured you meant...

i'll check em out. where would i have heard it? on the radio? cause i don't listen to the radio! ha. and why the wink? weirdo!

you should buy a sense field album if you can spare the money..... for a lighter, poppier sound, check out their latest "tonight and forever". otherwise, their most unique album (in my opinion) is "building".... it's amazing.

keep me posted on that. dawg.

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2002, 10:24 PM

i'll check em out. where would i have heard it? on the radio? cause i don't listen to the radio! ha. and why the wink? weirdo!

you should buy a sense field album if you can spare the money..... for a lighter, poppier sound, check out their latest "tonight and forever". otherwise, their most unique album (in my opinion) is "building".... it's amazing.

keep me posted on that. dawg.

"Flood" was actually a popular song probably 7-8 years ago maybe? It's not a recent hit...but it's usually a familiar song to most people.

I'll check out the albums...when u say "unique," exactly what does that mean? Remember I like some odd stuff...he he he

;) <--- the weirdo winking again...

jelloshotsrule
Jun 5, 2002, 10:28 PM

"Flood" was actually a popular song probably 7-8 years ago maybe? It's not a recent hit...but it's usually a familiar song to most people.

I'll check out the albums...when u say "unique," exactly what does that mean? Remember I like some odd stuff...he he he

;) <--- the weirdo winking again...

i'll check it out.

well, it caught my ear when i heard my brother playing it. and it stuck with me enough to get me really into them. i can't explain it. but the first song, the way it starts is just cool sounding, and i hadn't really heard anything like it before.

it isn't odd, just unique. not the typical punk type stuff...... check it out. you should be able to find building either at a good used place or like a wiz or something for 12 or less.....

keep winking and i'll start to wonder if it's a pizza girl or pizza guy..... oh snap!!!

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2002, 10:31 PM

keep winking and i'll start to wonder if it's a pizza girl or pizza guy..... oh snap!!!

ha ha ha...belive me, she's a pizza girl... ;)

oh damn there it is again!! :eek:

jelloshotsrule
Jun 5, 2002, 10:33 PM
ha ha ha...belive me, she's a pizza girl... ;)

oh damn there it is again!! :eek:

well at least in that case it made SOME sense.....

but still.. staple that eye shut, it'd be less work! haha

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2002, 10:36 PM
but still.. staple that eye shut, it'd be less work! haha

ouch...that sounds like it would hurt a lot...

so what do u think...are we far enough off topic here that the thread should just die?

we can start a "Macs & the Positive Attitude" thread to take it's place? he he he :D <---look..no eyes!

jelloshotsrule
Jun 5, 2002, 10:39 PM

ouch...that sounds like it would hurt a lot...

so what do u think...are we far enough off topic here that the thread should just die?

we can start a "Macs & the Positive Attitude" thread to take it's place? he he he :D <---look..no eyes!

i tried to get it back on topic, but late at night it's tough. less people, and more conversational...

up to you. hglm.

sounds like a good thread idea. do it.

one time i stapled my ear lobe to my cheek. that hurt.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2002, 11:24 PM

one time i stapled my ear lobe to my cheek. that hurt.

That's one long earlobe you got there, jello....

I've chewed on my foot before...

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2002, 11:32 PM
I've chewed on my foot before...

when I was a kid I got my head stuck in an iron gate...

don't ask... :rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2002, 11:34 PM

when I was a kid I got my head stuck in an iron gate...

don't ask... :rolleyes:

Sounds like something I would do.

So who closed this thread? We're still posting to it, though, ha....

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2002, 11:36 PM

Sounds like something I would do.

So who closed this thread? We're still posting to it, though, ha....

oh geez...ha ha ha...

I closed it...kind of pointless at this point don't u think? ;)

jello's gonna be jealous...he he he :D

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2002, 11:38 PM
So its open again...

But maybe we should get it back on topic.

Did you see that some idiot forced a plane to land, the passenger was carried off the plane by federal marshals...he'll be contemplating his actions for a few years....

Rower_CPU
Jun 5, 2002, 11:41 PM
So its open again...

But maybe we should get it back on topic.

Did you see that some idiot forced a plane to land, the passenger was carried off the plane by federal marshals...he'll be contemplating his actions for a few years....

So the "great and powerful" moderators decided to let the rest of us post again...:rolleyes: :D :p

Saw that on CNN...craziness...they hog-tied him and carried him down the ramp straight into a cop car. Wild!!!

jelloshotsrule
Jun 5, 2002, 11:44 PM

That's one long earlobe you got there, jello....

upper cheek i meant.

thanks d-mod and hglm. for opening again

as for the guy who got taken off.... what was he doing that forced them to land?

Rower_CPU
Jun 5, 2002, 11:45 PM
They called it "air-rage".

I guess something just set him off...psycho...

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2002, 11:48 PM
I didn't see it...

I honestly avoided the tv completely tonite...

what was his motive?

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2002, 11:48 PM

as for the guy who got taken off.... what was he doing that forced them to land?

Typical drunk passenger, they have a good pic of him being *escorted* off the plane. ha
http://www.cnn.com/2002/TRAVEL/NEWS/06/05/flight.diverted/index.html

eyelikeart
Jun 6, 2002, 12:02 AM
u know...I just don't understand what goes through some people's minds these days...

I just don't get it...whether u are intoxicated or not...do u honestly think u will get away with it??

I've never been that f*cked up where I couldn't rationalize illegal activities...:rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson
Jun 6, 2002, 07:35 AM
they more than likely have some othe issues as well, and just end up taking it out on the people near by, that and he's probably a bad drunk.

I'd be pissed if I was on that plane....

eyelikeart
Jun 6, 2002, 09:06 AM
I'd be pissed if I was on that plane....

I'm honestly surprised we aren't seeing anymore vigalante passengers who are just plain pissed off & tired of this type of b.s. from happening...

I don't know how I'd react in a situation such as that one...but if I had people backing me....I'd want to take him down...

eyelikeart
Jun 6, 2002, 09:09 AM
since we are discussing airline security...

They were talking about air-marshals in every aircraft...how do u feel about having doctors on each plane? For situations such as the one yesterday, with some help of a security officer of some sort...he/she could administer some sort of sedative to calm the nerves of whoever is freaking out?

Mr. Anderson
Jun 6, 2002, 09:14 AM
The flight crews are trained in first aide and basically stabilizing passengers until the plane can land. So I don't think doctors would be necessary. As for knocking out unruly passengers, you'd have to stick a needle in them, not a good thing to be doning, especially if a lawsuite could come about if you injected it incorrectly or the passenger was allergic, and died. So we're stuck with Air Marshalls for now, which should be enough.

eyelikeart
Jun 6, 2002, 09:22 AM
what about proposing a bill that would allow the forced usage of sedatives/needles/whatever needed for the safety of the other passengers as well as flight crew?

Mr. Anderson
Jun 6, 2002, 09:26 AM
That would never happen. The chance of accidental death is too much of a liability, no airline would like the bad press that could result from that.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 6, 2002, 09:30 AM
i agree with d-mod.

it's too risky.

almost as risky as rolling a firewheel down the aisle while the stewardesses are serving meals.

anyone know what number of planes have the marshalls? ie, 1 in 5? 1 in 50? 1 in 500?....

Mr. Anderson
Jun 6, 2002, 09:39 AM

almost as risky as rolling a firewheel down the aisle while the stewardesses are serving meals.
Ha, isn't that what happened in the flight that had to ditch it in the Indian Ocean a few years back because someone started cooking their own food on a little oil burner....morons...you need to keep the livestock in the cargo section.....

jelloshotsrule
Jun 6, 2002, 09:43 AM

Ha, isn't that what happened in the flight that had to ditch it in the Indian Ocean a few years back because someone started cooking their own food on a little oil burner....morons...you need to keep the livestock in the cargo section.....

are you serious? someone was cooking in a freaking plane?????

oh man.... that's just.. well. brilliant.

was it fresh rosemary popcorn?

eyelikeart
Jun 6, 2002, 09:46 AM
was it fresh rosemary popcorn?

damn...that sounds tastey! :D

oh well...I figured I'd try to debate the whole sedative theory...but it seems it's a dead issue no matter how u go about it... :rolleyes: ;)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 6, 2002, 09:47 AM
I'll see if I can find it, basically they had an open flame in the isle of the plane, cooking there goat kabobs or what ever and a bit of turbulence knocked the burner over and oil spilled out, igniting the whole thing. The pilot needed to land fast and the only place was the ocean, right near the shore by a resort. There was video of it going down and people at the resort going out and getting the survivors before the plane sank. Crazy.....