PDA

View Full Version : This wasn't supposed to happen: I won an iTunes song from a...

MacBytes
Feb 7, 2004, 11:09 PM
Category: Tips and How To's
Link: This wasn't supposed to happen: I won an iTunes song from a Mountain Dew bottlecap (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040208000907)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

HexMonkey
Feb 7, 2004, 11:36 PM
At the bottom the author mentions that the first person to make out the code of the winning cap can use it. It's probably been used (I can't check because I'm not in the US), but I think its something like this:
I8OKX
7KNFU
or
IBOKX
7KNFU

Good luck ;)

Nermal
Feb 7, 2004, 11:56 PM
It was IBOKX7KNFU, and it's gone.

MrMacMan
Feb 8, 2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Nermal
It was IBOKX7KNFU, and it's gone.

Well I hope the guy didn't get his cap stolen right from underhim!

:o

dukemeiser
Feb 8, 2004, 07:41 AM
I would much rather drink Mt. Dew than Pepsi. I hope this isn't just a mistake or a regional thing.

MarcL
Feb 8, 2004, 08:52 AM
Hmm...spend a buck on Diet Pepsi, don't get a song, hate Diet Pepsi, throw it out, waste a buck.

Spend a buck at iTunes, get a song, don't have to drink Diet Pepsi.

So...why buy the Diet Pepsi in the first place then?

zellin
Feb 8, 2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by MarcL
Hmm...spend a buck on Diet Pepsi, don't get a song, hate Diet Pepsi, throw it out, waste a buck.

Spend a buck at iTunes, get a song, don't have to drink Diet Pepsi.

So...why buy the Diet Pepsi in the first place then?
Because we can. :D

bennetsaysargh
Feb 8, 2004, 09:17 AM
i was in walmart the other day, and i was looking all around for the iTunes caps. turns out that all of the diet pepsis had the caps, and no regular Pepsis had it. there was no siera mist either.
i wound up buying a bottle of diet, and it tasted horrible, and i didn't win:(

oh well.

0 and A ai
Feb 8, 2004, 09:44 AM
Here in new york i have yet to see any caps.

Bunzi2k4
Feb 8, 2004, 11:11 AM
Now, if only these caps were on the 2 liter bottles...

winmacguy
Feb 8, 2004, 12:05 PM
regardless of how you do it, it seems like a strange way to promote a product. Spend $2,000,000 + advertising it at the Super Bowl in a 45 second commercial then follow that up with sporadic distribution around the nation. even if it is down to the Store managers getting rid of their pre existing stock before they put the new product on display it still seems to be a strange way to promote 100,000,000 songs. I would have thought that every Pepsi outlet in the country would have had a coordinated effort to have an iTunes Pepsi stack at the head of every drinks isle from first of Feb onwards. Very strange marketing coordination from Pepsi

mrsebastian
Feb 8, 2004, 12:48 PM
not that i've been tracking down all my local stores, but i have yet to see a bottle with a yellow cap in san diego.

Bunzi2k4
Feb 8, 2004, 12:49 PM
hmmm... neither have i

Photorun
Feb 8, 2004, 01:12 PM
I smell hoax... but nothing like that gutted G5 story.

Kingsnapped
Feb 8, 2004, 01:58 PM
I got a winnng pepsi cap yesterday (first time I've drank caffine in six months) and found a Sierra Mist bottle with the yellow cap at Best Buy today. I ended my 6 month Caffine fast for nothing...

wdlove
Feb 8, 2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
i was in walmart the other day, and i was looking all around for the iTunes caps. turns out that all of the diet pepsis had the caps, and no regular Pepsis had it. there was no siera mist either.
i wound up buying a bottle of diet, and it tasted horrible, and i didn't win:(

oh well.

The only thing that I have found here in Boston with the yellow cap was Siera Mist. IMHO it has better taste than Mountain Dew. The Deli only had 3 of them, I purchased 2 and didn't win. :( I should have done as someone else suggested and tilted to look at the cap. Looking for either free or play.

sethypoo
Feb 8, 2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
The only thing that I have found here in Boston with the yellow cap was Siera Mist. IMHO it has better taste than Mountain Dew. The Deli only had 3 of them, I purchased 2 and didn't win. :( I should have done as someone else suggested and tilted to look at the cap. Looking for either free or play.

Yeah, nothing in NorCal either.

:(

dukemeiser
Feb 8, 2004, 09:04 PM
I'm 11/11 on free songs. If you're going to buy something you don't like, at least make sure you're a winner before you buy it. Tip the bottle up. You can read the word "song" (one free song), or the word "again" (Please play again).

I'm not much of a Pepsi fan, but if I'm going to buy it, I might as well get my money's worth.

theipodgod16
Feb 8, 2004, 10:04 PM
wonder when theyre planning on including the people from NOR.cal in this contest....

billpalmer
Feb 9, 2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Photorun
I smell hoax... but nothing like that gutted G5 story.

I can promise you that it wasn't a hoax. If I were going to try to pull one off, I'd have gone for something just a litte bit more senationalistic. :D

However, the fact that no one else has come forward as a Mountain Dew winner leads me to believe that my luck was the result of some kind of mix up at the local bottling plant. After all, the bottle's label said nothing of the promotion -- only the cap -- so it's feasible that the cap was supposed to have been placed on a Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, or Sierra Mist bottle at the plant.

By the way, the store had a whole refrigerator full of Mountain Dew bottles with iTunes caps, so if anyone wants to make a pilgrimage to Kissimmee, Florida just so they can join me as a Mountain Dew winner, go for it!

Sincerely,
Bill Palmer

iPod Garage: the digital music site for the rest of us (http://www.ipodgarage.com/)

TwitchOSX
Feb 9, 2004, 10:57 AM
In regular Pepsi format. I prefer Pepsi over anything else so.. this is a good pro-mo for me. I bought one at our local supermarket the other day.. tilted it to see if I could read it, but I was in line at the check stand and didnt want to look like a moron so I didnt look forever. Couldnt really read anything but bought it anyway. LOST.. that was a bummer.

Southern Oregon btw