PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft opens Live Mesh

MacBytes
Nov 6, 2008, 08:38 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Microsoft
Link: Microsoft opens Live Mesh (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20081106093810)
Description:: Be the first [Mac user] on your block to sign and then invite your friends

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

mkrishnan
Nov 6, 2008, 08:49 AM
It's great that their supporting OS X (and unsurprising that they're not supporting Linux or other Unix systems besides OS X).

What I don't quite understand... is live mesh just for making files available in the mesh, or can it actually sync other kinds of data like e-mail, calendar appointments, contacts, etc?

And when they say it's not "application aware," when you have applications that do things like aggregate music (iTunes, WMP, whatever) or photos (PictBridge, Lightroom, Aperture, iPhoto, Picasa), are these photos synced in such a way that they automatically appear with metadata / settings preserved in the host app, or is it just the file / file folder synced?

dwd3885
Nov 6, 2008, 08:58 AM
It's great that their supporting OS X (and unsurprising that they're not supporting Linux or other Unix systems besides OS X).

What I don't quite understand... is live mesh just for making files available in the mesh, or can it actually sync other kinds of data like e-mail, calendar appointments, contacts, etc?

And when they say it's not "application aware," when you have applications that do things like aggregate music (iTunes, WMP, whatever) or photos (PictBridge, Lightroom, Aperture, iPhoto, Picasa), are these photos synced in such a way that they automatically appear with metadata / settings preserved in the host app, or is it just the file / file folder synced?

you know if you had windows live photo gallery, the photos meta data would be embeded in the actual photo and not in some other file. I don't think iPhoto stores the metadata in the photo though.

to the best of my knowledge, it's only files for now

mkrishnan
Nov 6, 2008, 09:13 AM
you know if you had windows live photo gallery, the photos meta data would be embeded in the actual photo and not in some other file. I don't think iPhoto stores the metadata in the photo though.

Ahh, okay, see, I have a Windows XP PC, but I don't keep photos on it, really. So when I launch Windows Live Photo Gallery, will the photo already be in it? If the photo is assigned to some kind of album, will it be placed into that album? Or does Live Photo Gallery not work that way?

badoian
Nov 6, 2008, 09:28 AM
anyone else getting error 409 when trying to connect to the service with the MAC client?

oticon6
Nov 6, 2008, 10:06 AM
Wow... ACTUAL Mac support from Microsoft? This is new...

Maybe they actually have someone intelligent in their marketing department for once! Support Macs so all those uni students who bought MacBooks stop going all Mac just to make life easier.

thejadedmonkey
Nov 6, 2008, 10:20 AM
anyone else getting error 409 when trying to connect to the service with the MAC client?

Reboot. that worked for me.

Live mesh is one of the best things that's come from MS in a long time! I use it daily, and it works for me the same way that iDisk from Apple should work, only it's free and cross-platform. I'd highly suggest that any mac user try it out!

iSimx
Nov 6, 2008, 10:23 AM
I've been using this for a couple of weeks to transfer files from my pc to my mac back at home. It's been REALLY useful and succesful. Simple to use, looks good and best of all, free. Highly recommended.

spazzcat
Nov 6, 2008, 10:28 AM
I have to admit this kind of cool. And agree this is how iDisk should work.

pol0001
Nov 6, 2008, 11:16 AM
This is amazing. MS has done some good things with Windows Live. Now, they only have to integrate Office Live Workspace with Live Mesh and I am happy.

PS: I am really fed up with iDisk. Never really work for me. Finder/Safari lost the connection to often and I can't upload large files to my iDisk with 10.5. I always have to use my Mac Mini with 10.4 to do this.

dwd3885
Nov 6, 2008, 12:42 PM
Ahh, okay, see, I have a Windows XP PC, but I don't keep photos on it, really. So when I launch Windows Live Photo Gallery, will the photo already be in it? If the photo is assigned to some kind of album, will it be placed into that album? Or does Live Photo Gallery not work that way?

You could add a folder or use your photos folder as your live mesh folder. Then any changes you make to that folder will update automatically. You tag them in live photo gallery, then i'm assuming when you open them on the mac, that data would be in the file there too.

Saladinos
Nov 6, 2008, 01:31 PM
Microsoft never does anything because they love you. This is about competition with Google and the Android/iPhone wave that's starting to make them look like hopeless in the mobile space.

I strongly disapprove of web-desktop integration. It sounds like something cool, but what it actually means is making the web less accessible. Look at the complaints about Flash on mobile and 64-bit platforms.

gkarris
Nov 6, 2008, 04:04 PM
Interesting, I used my Windows Live ID that I have with XBox Live.

Going to research further. Don't want to pay a monthly fee for MobileMe...

Would be cool if you can add your XBox, sync a pics folder from a Mac or PC and view them via your XBox... :)

mainstreetmark
Nov 7, 2008, 07:44 AM

There's an API for developers to include support for their various formats.