Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Hi all. I'm taking a course in Information Systems Management, which requires me some programming and also web programming. Now I'm doing a JSP project, and I'm working out a login, but the rest of my project group is using Access, and despite my pleas they wouldn't switch to MySQL. So now I have to look for a way to interface with Access databases (and actually work on them) from Mac OS X. Is there a way to do this? I've readied myself by loading my license of VMware Fusion onto my machine, but I'd like to keep Windows as a last resort, if possible.:( Thanks.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
OpenOffice Base can do some database stuff. I tried using it to follow some MS Access course book examples and could do most of it, but if it goes to any level of complexity you'll run into issues. Some of the simpler stuff too has different naming schemes and tools are in different spots so can be frustrating following examples. I haven't found any easy ways to access the MS Access databases on Mac, or even hard ways for that matter. For some reason, schools don't seem to be catching on to the greatness of open source. Though sadly, there's a lot of jobs that want you to have MS software-specific skills.

memco

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2008
I think VMware is probably your simplest route. There is no Access for Mac so you'll have to run the Windows version somehow. Anyone know if Crossover can run it?

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
Well said, I could not agree more. It makes me mad, actually.

To the OP:
If you got 2GB or more of RAM in your Mac, you can run VMWare or Parellels (I use that, love it) and a cheap OEM version of XP Home and it works great. Just install a free virus checker, don't bother to spend any additional money. Use your Mac while using Windows for MS Access or whatever your school requires. I do not suggest using a third party Mac product when it comes to school stuff as you want to follow the course instructions and not be confused by GUI issues and possible limitations - but in the real world, plenty of open source solutions when you're outside of school.

-jim

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Well, it's not really the class. The class is platform-neutral :D The only thing is that for my project, I ahve to use some kind of database, and my groupmates (despite another Mac user) were the one who pushed the idea of having Access. My lobbying for the use of MySQL, sadly, came out unfruitful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.