Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Hi,

I did a quick forum search and didn't see anything that seems recurring...

My friend has a 2G Nano, and the screen is on the fritz. Has anyone ever had the issue where the screen will light up (and the iPod still plays music, the scroll wheel works, etc) but the it wont display anything? Its just a blank white screen, with some rainbow vertical striping occasionally. I have tried to restore it on the computer, I have tried resetting it (holding menu and select), all to no avail. Apples trouble shooting site didnt say much either. Is this ipod dead? Is there an easy fix? If not, is a repair more $$ than a replacement? Is this a recurring issue with the ipod nano 2G?

Thanks in advance guys!

- Chris

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada
This happened to me. A screen replacement would have cost about $80 CDN at the time, so I basically ended up with a Shuffle.

I actually got pretty good with the button presses and scroll wheel to get the menus I wanted.

cmooreou

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2008
Tulsa, OK
you can replace it yourself

i replaced a 2nd gen nano's screen myself. you can get the screen off pdaparts.com, amazon, or ebay, and use youtube videos to guide you. it is harder to do than the video shows but i was able to fit it all back in.

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions - yes I saw the video on youtube... the only scary part is if it doesn't go back together smoothly... at least right now it can function as a slightly harder to use shuffle :) As I mentioned, its for a friend, and heis probably even less comfortable cracking into than I am! In any event, thanks for the replies all -

- Chris

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.