Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xelo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Sweden
Hi,

I have an iPod Touch 2nd generation, and would like to buy a universal dock to go with it. Since a new one is quite expensive, I've locked at the pre-owned market.

I've been offered to buy the older universal dock (think it was called "iPod Universal Dock", product no. MA045G/C), with the s-video output. I wonder if this one will work with the new Touch. It does not come with the touch adapter, but since one was included with the touch, I think the iPod will fit in the dock. But will it connect to the computer? Will it charge? Will audio/video out work?

Thanks!

Xelo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Sweden
Come on guys! Someone here has to own both an old dock and a new Touch.
Why not try if they work together?

rshanahan

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2007
North East, MD
sorry, forgot to verify my dock's number last night. I have an old IPOD Photo 60g which dock has the S-video output. I have not tried it yet as it's plugged into the back of my MP via firewire (all usb's are already taken). I have been using my touch with the supplied USB cable on a front port.

I CAN tell you that the dock adapter that ships with the 2G touch does NOT fit my doc. It appears it's for the universal dock, which our dock assumably pre-dates.

Last fall a friend put his Iphone 1G in it to charge (but that was via fv) and it worked ok. We all know that the 2g does not have fw so it won't charge it unless you use the usb cable.

I'll send myself a note to check tonight. Will switch it to USB and carefully plug in the touch to see if it works. I won't leave it in there due to not having a proper doc adapter.

Rick

Xelo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Sweden
Thanks for your post!

Are you sure that the iPod Photo Dock looks the same as the first iPod Universal Dock? There are two different universal docks, the first one with the s-video output and the new one without s-video, but with the apple remote.

Since I wrote the first post, I've looked through the web and understood that the Touch should work with both versions of the universal dock. However, the video-out (s-video) on the first version wont display any picture. But since I would need the very expensive cable to connect to the new dock in order to use the video-out feature, I guess I wont be using video-out anyway.

So, basically, the only difference between the two universal dock versions (except from the minor design change) is that the new one comes with the remote.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
ok i have the first universal dock (i think it is ill check the model number when i can) that i got with my 5th gen ipod. the ipod touch 2nd gen works great with the included insert for playing and the remote works, i havent tried syncing yet.

rshanahan

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2007
North East, MD
Unfortunately my doc does not have a model number on it anywhere. It has a Copyright year of 2003.

I can say that the doc adapter will def not fit as there are no 'slots' in my dock. If you look at the rear of the doc adapter (the front says '16'), there are two tabs (clips) on the back that fit into the universal doc. My dock has no such slots to accommodate the adapter.

Secondly, with my rebel case on the touch, it won't even 'fit' into the dock as the case makes it too wide. I really don't want to remove the touch from the case as it upsets the shield. Speaking of which, the adapter that the rebel case came with is similar to the touch's adapter, with those slots in the rear.

If I were you I'd bite the bullet and get a newer one. I'm eventually going to, waiting for my next Best Buy rewards coupon.

Rick

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.