Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
I just released a magic trick for the iPhone where you rub a coin in the iPhone, and let it roll around the sides of the phone with complete physics simulation. You can choose a bunch of different coins, and after you rub it in, you can get it out with a little shake.

I'm looking for comments/suggestions/ideas.

In the app store, it's called Marty's Magic Coin and is in the entertainment section.. that is, if Apple has finally decided to post it.

Here's a demo:
http://www.yityat.com/magic

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I saw this on my new app RSS. Looks interesting!

Edit: BTW, if you'd like us to do a video review, email me at MobiRiot

iblastoff

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
ehhhh. might have been interesting at app store launch time but i'm pretty much over these gimmicky, useless apps now.

EvanLugh

macrumors 68000
Aug 29, 2007
Developer land
I do like these apps Marty, but unless it's free I won't be getting it. There are a ton of these for free which are downloadable (as apps and videos) on the net.

martay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Yes, I was a little afraid of those. That's why I made this really polished, with multiple coin options, your own background, and true physics -- going for truly professional magician's gimmick to market to my peers. That way you don't have to move with a video and you can even let others have a close look, increasing the realism.

I originally didn't even intend to market to non-magicians, but that's a fairly limited niche market.

From the suggestions, it sounds like I should market this with more of a 'professional quality' appeal so that it separates itself from a dumb iphone trick? Does that sound about right?

EvanLugh

macrumors 68000
Aug 29, 2007
Developer land
I'd say so. Clean up your website and video a bit, make sure the icon is polished and has everything you think it needs in the first version - it'll make a big difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.