PDA

View Full Version : AT&T CEO Confirms iPhone Tethering Coming "Soon"

MacRumors
Nov 6, 2008, 01:24 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/11/06/atandt-ceo-confirms-iphone-tethering-coming-soon/)

MobileCrunch reveals (http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2008/11/06/att-sanctioned-3g-tethering-on-the-way-for-iphone/) that during an interview at the Web 2.0 Summit, AT&T Mobility CEO Ralph De La Vega confirmed that AT&T would be offering an official tethering option for the iPhone "soon".

Tethering is the process by which you allow the iPhone to act as a 3G modem for your laptop. This would allow you to share the iPhone's cellular connection with your laptop.

A 3rd party tethering option called NetShare briefly appeared in the App Store before it was removed by Apple. AT&T traditionally charges an additional $30/month for this tethering option on their other smartphones. MacRumors has separately heard that this tethering capability is expected to be built into the 2.2 firmware.

Article Link: AT&T CEO Confirms iPhone Tethering Coming "Soon" (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/11/06/atandt-ceo-confirms-iphone-tethering-coming-soon/)

JG271
Nov 6, 2008, 01:25 PM
Good news! Tethering is great, a friend of mine has a 3g phone that acts as a wireless access point.

However, I hope the tethering option will be free...

cbrain
Nov 6, 2008, 01:25 PM
Interesting. Hope we get this in the UK (and at a low cost :D).

SkippyThorson
Nov 6, 2008, 01:29 PM
PRAISE THE SWEET LAWD!

When I go over to my friends house on the outskirts of town where no one has wifi and they don't either, it would be great to have a 2 minute session to look at a picture or to download a file or something. I've been waiting for this for I don't know how long. Amen. They listen! :)

Le Big Mac
Of course, tomorrow there will be an announcement that they didn't really mean it, and maybe one day there will be tethering. And then a website that says "tethering is here" but gets pulled within 6 hours. And so on.

happydude
yeah, but how much will they charge?! $30/mo is way too expensive for me when i'm already paying that for the iphone's data plan. i think it should be included as is - will just help drive sales of the iphone and bring new customers to at&t. everyone wins!

dukebound85
Nov 6, 2008, 01:32 PM
yeah, but how much will they charge?! $30/mo is way too expensive for me when i'm already paying that for the iphone's data plan. i think it should be included as is - will just help drive sales of the iphone and bring new customers to at&t. everyone wins!

i agree. i dont need it thaaaaaat bad for 30 a month

plumbingandtech
Nov 6, 2008, 01:32 PM

I bet it will be priced for business customers, but i would LOVE if ATT tried and dropped the price for more of a consumer audience.

maybe tiers?

notintheleast
Nov 6, 2008, 01:34 PM

I agree. If it's going to cost me another $30 a month, then I'll just keep using PDAnet for free.

pcguru83
Nov 6, 2008, 01:34 PM
I'll stick with PDANet, thanks. :)

Luke1robb
Nov 6, 2008, 01:35 PM
MacRumors has separately heard that this tethering capability is expected to be built into the 2.2 firmware.

Now when you say built into the 2.2 firmware, wouldn't that imply free or simply there as an option that has to be turned on?

Rojo
Nov 6, 2008, 01:35 PM
Sounds like this will be for 3G iPhones only?
(I'm guessing 2G speeds would be too slow for tethering?)

sonicwind
Nov 6, 2008, 01:36 PM
that's funny, I've been tethering for months. What else is coming soon? Running water? Electricity? Truth in advertising?

DaveTheGrey
Nov 6, 2008, 01:37 PM
Luckily I was fast enough and bought netshare when it became available on the appstore for the second time. :D

SkippyThorson
Nov 6, 2008, 01:37 PM
Now when you say built into the 2.2 firmware, wouldn't that imply free or simply there as an option that has to be turned on?

That's what I thought. If it's not free then I'm just gonna forget it. Not worth the extra money, but it would be an amazing feature for me. I'm too cheap.

plumbingandtech
Nov 6, 2008, 01:38 PM
that's funny, I've been tethering for months. What else is coming soon? Running water? Electricity? Truth in advertising?

This is for the iphone, and legally, without a fear of ATT catching you and ending your service.

I hope you can see the difference.

sonicwind
Nov 6, 2008, 01:38 PM

Actually, the tethering on the v1 phones wasn't too bad. You won't be watching video, but you can do email and surf acceptably on the road.

Luke1robb
Nov 6, 2008, 01:42 PM
Luckily I was fast enough and bought netshare when it became available on the appstore for the second time. :D

Is it possible to get a netshare-like application on an iphone now. I mean I know Apple has AdHoc, so couldn't someone create a copy of netshare and distribute it to 100 people or so?

dstrauss
Nov 6, 2008, 01:43 PM
No way will they release this WITHOUT an additional $30 per month for tethering. $60 for what is not rally unlimited data sucks.

memco
Nov 6, 2008, 01:47 PM
I used to do tethering on a Treo 650 on Verizon. May have been a good day, but the speed was enough for me to play WOW (least run around).

It'll be nice if this is included because I'm sure not gonna pay more than I am now.

Trajectory
Nov 6, 2008, 01:47 PM
Why does tethering require an additional charge? It seems to me that if you don't go over your bandwidth limit, it shouldn't matter whether you use Safari on your phone or your laptop to access the Internet.

jamesarm97
Nov 6, 2008, 01:52 PM
I agree that the $30 is a lot for something that I would only use maybe a few weekends a year while I am out of town or maybe stuck somewhere without internet. It is not like I would be downloading stuff, just VNC or SSH to work server to manage it.

- James

born4sky
Nov 6, 2008, 01:55 PM
Extra $30 will be ridiculous.

pj rage
Nov 6, 2008, 01:56 PM
Maybe a limited data version for less than $30/month? I'd love the option to tether, but realistically I'll do it pretty rarely. I'd pay maybe $10/month for a gigabyte a month of tethering data, or something like that.

I wonder how it will affect AT&T's ability to detect/track and/or crack down of illegal tethering? Will they begin to actively pursue illegal tethering?

azentropy
Nov 6, 2008, 01:58 PM
I guess somewhat good news...

I've used PDANet on my jailbroken iPhone and it works great. Unlike NetShare it allows all IP activity to work, not just a http proxy. The last update (1.40) allows my laptop to work over VPN.

If ATT is going to charge $30 a month I'll pass... It is something I only use every few weeks. Certainly not worth the $30 a month for me.

Luke1robb
Nov 6, 2008, 01:58 PM
Truth in advertising?

Funny you ask that because if you look in the newest ad from Apple (Urbanspoon) at the very beginning in fine greyish print, the words, "Sequence Shortened." Maybe your hope is coming true after all... well not really, but a little, haha

chelsel
Nov 6, 2008, 02:01 PM
Why does tethering require an additional charge? It seems to me that if you don't go over your bandwidth limit, it shouldn't matter...

Because the bandwidth is probably oversold, if everyone used what their "limit" was then the network couldn't handle it. It's far easier to use more data on a tethered laptop than your phone since you're likely to spend much more time surfing and downloading files.

At $30/month additional, you're better off getting a wireless data card, taking the SIM out of your phone and putting it into the data card. I've done this and it works perfectly, in fact, even with the old iPhone plan you get 3G speeds.

Mr Maui
Nov 6, 2008, 02:02 PM
Of course, tomorrow there will be an announcement that they didn't really mean it, and maybe one day there will be tethering. And then a website that says "tethering is here" but gets pulled within 6 hours. And so on.

Actually ... it will be a $50/month option in which AT&T gets 70% of the revenue and Apple gets 30%. :rolleyes: :p ;)

spazzcat
Nov 6, 2008, 02:04 PM
cool now I can cancel my express card!

ChrisA
Nov 6, 2008, 02:04 PM
Why not add a 3G transceiver inside the Mac Book Pro? Maybe as a BTO.

I think a lot of people would want a notebook with a built-in 3G data only Internet connection.

akm3
Nov 6, 2008, 02:08 PM

Perhaps it will be an extra $15, but only addable to those with the Enterprise data plan (which is also an extra $15)

crisss1205
Nov 6, 2008, 02:08 PM
I got NetShare within the few hours it was available and it worked great on my original iPhone, but works even better on my iPhone 3G.

Is it possible to get a netshare-like application on an iphone now. I mean I know Apple has AdHoc, so couldn't someone create a copy of netshare and distribute it to 100 people or so?
You can't, I have NetShare and I tried to do that by copying it to another computer and you have to authenticate it on that computer and iTunes only lets you authenticate it on 5 computers.

angemon89
Nov 6, 2008, 02:12 PM
OH EM GEE if this is true.

I would not pay more than $0 a month for a tethering option because I feel it should be free for those 'in case I need it' moments if I'm already paying $30 a month for unlimited data plan.

websyndicate
Nov 6, 2008, 02:12 PM
PDANet is my prefered option and its free. Not like I'm doing a ton of stuff. Web pages and quick stuff nothing crazy. Long as you dont bit torrent you will be okay

ayasinsk
Nov 6, 2008, 02:14 PM
They should make it free since we already pay for unlimited data plan. However since we live in a greedy greedy world it probobly be atleast additional $20 and I'm sure only 3G iPhones will quallify.

ppdix
Nov 6, 2008, 02:23 PM
My bill is already at $185 per month. Unlimited Talk, SMS and Data...
Taxes eat u up as well. So another $30 for something that should and used to be free is ridiculous.:mad:

Another reason to have a jailbroken iPhone... Free everything.

guitarman777
Nov 6, 2008, 02:26 PM
While I love the fact that AT&T and Apple are finally going to let users tether, I'm not crazy about paying an extra $30 a month for that feature.

sflocal
Nov 6, 2008, 02:29 PM
They should make it free since we already pay for unlimited data plan. However since we live in a greedy greedy world it probobly be atleast additional $20 and I'm sure only 3G iPhones will quallify.

Sounds like you're being the greedy one. There's only so much one can do given the format of the iPhone to really suck bandwidth on an individual basis. So even with unlimited data, AT&T will know you're not going to surf, send 10MB emails, and play some type of MMO on an iPhone for hours on end and suck up the bandwidth pipes.

Tethering should be a paid option. There are people that would cancel their $30+ DSL/CABLE service or others that will tether their laptop/desktop all day and start being a bandwidth hog. You very well know that is what would happen. The ones complaining that it should be free are the one's I'm sure AT&T is not interested in serving on that data plan since it would be ripe for abuse.

Providing a cheaper tethering option for like $5 - $10 for only a small limited amount of data would be fine. This package I'm sure is being aimed at the business sector and obviously not for people needing it to check for a couple emails per month at Starbucks.

But even then, if one can get 3G speeds for $30 unlimited, then that may very well replace what one is already paying for hardwired internet access at their residence providing the coverage is there and reliable. So at the end, the costs are balanced out or depending on what they are paying for DSL/CABLE, they may actually end up saving money.

BriChi
Nov 6, 2008, 02:32 PM
Maybe Steve will hold a press conference to announce this, another thing companies have been doing for a long time, yet because it's the Iphone, it is a huge deal like "wow, I can tether on my phone", Big deal.

I have an iphone and love it, but it amazes me how things are such a big deal. I cant wait to see the reactions when copy and paste come out :)

ryanw
Nov 6, 2008, 02:34 PM
If this happen, then no jailbreak for me.

So far the only reason to jailbreak my phone is so I can tether my phone and my laptop.

Kwill
Nov 6, 2008, 02:35 PM
Not worth $30/mo. :o

manu chao
Nov 6, 2008, 02:39 PM
So, which do you prefer:
(a) a 30 $/month 'unlimited' tethering charge, or
(b) a 250 MB/month iPhone plan with $1 per 10 MB over this limit?

Because this is how almost all mobile data plans work in almost all countries, either you pay for unlimited data or you have a strict data limit with costs per MB for everything on top. All current iPhone plans already have a defacto data limit because you can only read so many e-mails and webpages per day.

lasuther
Nov 6, 2008, 02:41 PM
I'm still pissed off about paying $30 a month for my data plan with no texts included. This is a feature I won't pay for, but would like to have.

I'd try to play WoW tethered.

Kwill
Nov 6, 2008, 02:48 PM
Maybe Steve will hold a press conference to announce this, another thing companies have been doing for a long time, yet because it's the Iphone, it is a huge deal like "wow, I can tether on my phone", Big deal.

I have an iphone and love it, but it amazes me how things are such a big deal. I cant wait to see the reactions when copy and paste come out :)

Reminds me of an old joke: "Your son, Johnny in the marching band did so well! He was the only one on step."

For all the advances Apple makes in technology, there are always some features that stubbornly oppose customer requests. I remember the old PowerBooks with the upside down Apple logo. Steve felt it was correct to orient the logo from the viewpoint of the person opening. However, all the product placements in movies and television shows depicted the glowing upside down logo when cases were opened and viewed from the back.

At the January Macworld conference when the Titanium PowerBook was introduced, a video depicted the logo spinning around as Steve sheepishly point out what others saw all along.

Tethering, copy & paste, real automotive GPS, Blu-Ray, non-glossy iMacs and displays are all on the watch list -- waiting for Jobs to sanction them as his ideas whose time has come.

riversky
Nov 6, 2008, 03:00 PM
There will definitely be a charge because it is obvious that AT&T planned this long ago and Apple took down the free app. Most (if not all) carriers charge a fee for this, usually in the business plans.

I don't think it will be $30 but probably more like a $15 additional charge to add on like the text message fees.

crisss1205
Nov 6, 2008, 03:04 PM
There will definitely be a charge because it is obvious that AT&T planned this long ago and Apple took down the free app. Most (if not all) carriers charge a fee for this, usually in the business plans.

I don't think it will be $30 but probably more like a $15 additional charge to add on like the text message fees.
What free app are you talking about?

hfletcher
Nov 6, 2008, 03:05 PM
Snap. Plus its free and already available!

O. Frabjous-Dey
Nov 6, 2008, 03:09 PM
AT&T has never not leapt at the chance to bone as many of its customers as possible.

I think we'll see a sharp increase in jailbreaking once they roll out the $30 tethering option.

ebrunn
Nov 6, 2008, 03:10 PM
If its not free I'll continute to use my Netshare.

Even though it has a habit of freezing,crashing, draining my battery in half an hour(even while on the charger),and making the phone hot as hell.. :(

riversky
Nov 6, 2008, 03:19 PM
What free app are you talking about?

Meant to say non-AT&T/Apple app.... I was referring to Netshare.

http://www.nullriver.com/

Small White Car
Nov 6, 2008, 03:28 PM

Not really. It's perfect. Remebmer, AT&T doesn't WANT you to use this service.

They're building the 3G network as fast as they can, and with all the iPhones and Blackberries being sold they're just barely staying ahead of demand. And just barely.

Add a bunch of laptops (which will suck more data more quickly since they can multi-task much better than phones) and they'll have real problems.

They don't WANT laptops on the network. So charging $30 a month will help them achieve that goal. So really it's the perfect price.

crisss1205
Nov 6, 2008, 03:37 PM
Meant to say non-AT&T/Apple app.... I was referring to Netshare.

http://www.nullriver.com/
I was thinking because NetShare wasn't free.

jlanuez
Nov 6, 2008, 03:43 PM

I thought this product only works with Windows computers. I see others talking about this, are they using it on a TREO?
So we would need a TREO in addition to our iPhone and use the TREO for the tether? What does that cost for an additional line with a TREO?

Thanks.

orbitaldesign
Nov 6, 2008, 03:54 PM
You know, the issue for me wouldn't be $30 (or whatever) a month... it would be $30 a month on top of a required additional $30 a month just for owning the phone.

I'm not opposed to paying for services, actually I'm for it as a business owner myself. I just think that a reasonable situation would be to include it in the data fee I already pay which, IMO, is pretty high as it is. Just my two cents.

unkle77
Nov 6, 2008, 04:04 PM
why do you need tethering if there is 10 billion starbucks in every major city, lol.

but yea, if they charge for it, which they will, its not that important to me =\

notintheleast
Nov 6, 2008, 04:04 PM
I thought this product only works with Windows computers. I see others talking about this, are they using it on a TREO?
So we would need a TREO in addition to our iPhone and use the TREO for the tether? What does that cost for an additional line with a TREO?

Thanks.

PDAnet works with any computer that has wi-fi capability. Set up an ad-hoc network on the computer and connect to it on the iPhone. Open PDAnet on the iPhone and commence surfing on your computer!

twoodcc
Nov 6, 2008, 04:10 PM
i would love to have this, but i can't afford another $30/month

crisss1205
Nov 6, 2008, 04:17 PM

Thanks.
I have both NetShare and PDANet on my iPhone and I find that NetShare is a little harder to set up. With PDANet on a Mac it's very easy, all you have to do is...
1) Click on the AirPort Icon in the task bar and click on "Create Network", click "OK"
2) Select the network on your iPhone and open up PDANet and you are connected.

With NetShare you have to set up an IP address and change settings on the iPhone and the Mac.
PDANet is the best way to go.

Dagless
Nov 6, 2008, 05:42 PM
If we get this in the UK and either free or cheap, then ossom. Sure the speeds aren't fast but if it means being able to send and receive proper documents on the ol' Powerbook then I'll be a happy bunny.

Alex2287
Nov 6, 2008, 06:01 PM
YAY!(sarcasm)

MMS! Is that too much to ask for? Text forwarding? Video? Cut and paste?
I think the iPhone is going to have the ability to map the human genome before it has MMS(etc) capabilities....:eek:

AW.kennedy
Nov 6, 2008, 06:17 PM
in the UK i'm using a normal 3G phone via bluetooth connected to my laptop to use the internet when i'm away for the occassional weekend (not very often) but its really useful to have free internet.

I pay 5 a month for this, and its only 1GB a month on three - i'm on the only plan that they can't charge me extra for when i go over the amount.

I kinda need to get a new phone - but i cant justify changing my contract unless o2 (who carrys iphones in the UK) start offering the same service..

admittedly three don't realize i'm using the mobile phone for what i am - but I use it so far between it doesnt really matter -the real fact is, if i have an Iphone with internet, i might like my computer to have that same internet too, else getting an iphone will actually reduce my current setups functionality.

kobefan234
Nov 6, 2008, 06:20 PM
too bad i dont need it i have netshare

sam-i-am
Nov 6, 2008, 06:28 PM
I wouldn't be so happy, everyone. AT&T will allow you to tether your laptop to your phone at a premium - anywhere form $60-$80/mo. It will be so expensive that most of you will not be willing to do it.

And this is why I have not yet jumped on the iPhone train. Until developers can fully harness the power of the phone, it's just fun and gimmicks.

As I said on TUAW, I'm no WinMo fanboy, but I can turn my 3G Tilt into a WiFi access point at the press of a button and allow anyone to connect to and use my 3G connection. Also, I pay half as much as the iPhone unlimited data plan, and less than a quarter of what it will cost iPhone users to do the same thing.

Alisstar
Nov 6, 2008, 06:30 PM

Thanks.

I think this link (http://junefabrics.com/iphone/index.php) will help answer your question. ;)

BoRegardless
Nov 6, 2008, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE=azentropy;6566797]I guess somewhat good news...

If ATT is going to charge $30 a month I'll pass...
----
The monthly charge can be IRRELEVANT! Why?

If you visit areas where 3G is virtually non-existent (regardless of ATT's coverage map), and where connecting via EDGE occurs only 30% of the time, then DO NOT GO with ATT.

You can sign up for a 3G data plan using an external card and try it out for one month and return it without charge inside of 30 days in most places.

For gosh sake, test drive before you buy in your area so you don't get tricked into thinking you are getting something you might not get.

Kingsly
Nov 6, 2008, 07:22 PM
I'm posting right now using tethered internets off my iPhone (via PDAnet). Were at&t to implement this and bundle it into my current unlimited data, however unlikely that would seem, I'd be happy to un-jailbreak.

Having the option of 3G internet wherever I go is awesome. And, sadly for me, it definitely feels snappier™ than my home WiFi. :o

EgbertAttrick
Nov 6, 2008, 08:13 PM
H3LL Yeah M0TH3RF@CK3R5!

Saladinos
Nov 6, 2008, 08:29 PM
O2 have already said they support tethering (as they do for other phones without additional fee AFAIK), so the option should be fine for UK customers and should be free.

Hopefully Apple can make the experience right. With netshare, you have to have 3G+WiFi+Screen on (locking the phone turns off Netshare). Even when plugged in, the battery drains pretty fast. Apple could do it via the USB cable (no WiFi) and with the screen locked. It could even be set up through iTunes, so you don't have to manage network profiles.

Oh joy of joys.

natebookpro
Nov 6, 2008, 09:17 PM
I still remember that post when netshare came out saying how we would all be sorry. Im not sorry I bought it real fast the second time it came out! :D

WarDogg
Nov 6, 2008, 09:53 PM

X2 :D

InfoTime
Nov 6, 2008, 10:31 PM
I pay $60 a month for my Sprint EVDO service that I get using a PC Card. If it's $30 extra for iPhone tethering for a "legit" way of doing it, then that would make it $30 bucks less per month for me.

I don't know what AT&T's goals are for releasing tethering. It may not be to say "hey we love you so much, here's a free upgrade to make your iPhone more useful and help bring in new iPhone users". I'd say it's more likely that they're targeting people like me.

For me it would be a savings. There are lots of people who pay $60 a month for mobile broadband cards. $30 a month would be a bargain. It would pull business from other carriers. It would also pull in those for whom $60 for a dedicated card would be too much.

My only requirement is that I'd need to be able use the phone and the data service at the same time.

JitteryJimmy
Nov 7, 2008, 06:17 AM

As a Verizon customer, I pay roughly $95/month for a blackberry with:

- 450 minutes talk per month
- Blackberry Data plan
- zero text messages/month
- tethering, 5 GB cap/month.

In short, with verizon my base plan is like $80, and then $15 more per month for the tether.

JitteryJimmy
Nov 7, 2008, 06:21 AM
YAY!(sarcasm)

MMS! Is that too much to ask for?

Yes, if unlimited MMS messages are anything other than free to send or receive.

BrockW15
Nov 7, 2008, 06:59 AM
Any chance this would work for the 2g iPhone?

Stately
Nov 7, 2008, 08:40 AM
The problem is that it should be completely free. We already purchased the phone and have a phone plan. Apple controls the tech to tether so why should customers be charged? How can you tell someone how to use what they purchase? I'm getting a lil tired of AT&T's little money making schemes. The tech is on the phone already; we have the ability to go onto the internet. Apple will provide the connectivity most likely and that's that.

supmango
Nov 7, 2008, 08:48 AM
If I needed it as a business traveler, that would be one thing. But for me, paying an extra 30 dollars a month to use the same data service I already pay 30 dollars a month for, just doesn't add up. I would pay a one time fee of up to 50 dollars a month to get the SOFTWARE to do it. I just think it is fascinating how much money we are willing to throw away for additional convenience. Not that I am without blame here.

ALT-255
Nov 7, 2008, 10:38 AM
AT&T should fix there 3G network first!!!

I am in the SF Bay Area, and only see 3G about 30%-40% of the time, and when I do, it's not really that fast.

I have both a 3G ATT broadband card and a sprint broadband card and every time the Sprint one kicks ATT&T's card out of the water.

In fact I am sitting here just a mile from the SF airport and my friend who is using AT&T and is the the 3G network is getting really bad performance, and I have to say my performance is great!

coryjb
Nov 7, 2008, 11:25 AM
I wouldn't mind paying $30 per month for tethering. I did with Verizon. If you really need it, you will pay. If you don't really need it, you won't. Simple as that. They'll probably prorate the fees, too. So it's $1 per day -- turn it on and off as needed.

That being said, they need to switch on the 3G towers here in Omaha (hopefully this month).

GeeYouEye
Nov 7, 2008, 11:32 AM
PDAnet all the way. 1.40 doesn't even drain the battery when there's no data going through, unlike previous versions.

I figure AT&T might try to detect who's not paying for tethering, but the simplest way to do that would be to sniff UA's as they go through. Just set your user agent in Safari to "iPhone" and you're good. And don't torrent!

kgeier82
Nov 7, 2008, 12:13 PM
yea, tethering is a terrible idea right now.

Lets make a already "iphone" affected 3G network that much slower.

No thanks.

Kingsly
Nov 7, 2008, 12:47 PM
PDAnet all the way. 1.40 doesn't even drain the battery when there's no data going through, unlike previous versions.

I figure AT&T might try to detect who's not paying for tethering, but the simplest way to do that would be to sniff UA's as they go through. Just set your user agent in Safari to "iPhone" and you're good. And don't torrent!
Turn on the Develop menu (under 'advanced' in safari prefs) and you'll get a list of user agents (mobile safari for iPhone included) that you can easily switch back and forth. :)

PDANet is already acting as a proxy, making att think you're simply surfing on your phone, but changing your UA is a good idea if you're paranoid like me...

blurfonz
Nov 7, 2008, 06:43 PM
If its gonna be $30 a month, hah in my country it would be wiser to get a broadband mobile plan itself for the mbp!

alphaod
Nov 8, 2008, 05:35 AM
This is for the iphone, and legally, without a fear of ATT catching you and ending your service.

I hope you can see the difference.

Well it's not really legal or not, but rather against the TOS or not. Yes the TOS is considered a legal contract, but nonetheless, said violations are in no way illegal.

dstrauss
Nov 8, 2008, 09:17 AM
What's all the excitement? "Soon" in AT&T speak is "sometime in the same decade" - just ask all the folks STILL waiting for Blackberry OS 4.5 for their Curves!

MacAnkka
Nov 8, 2008, 02:40 PM
30e/month..?

I have a cheap nokia smartphone, nokia 6120 classic (paid about 280e for it 8 months ago, unsubsidied) and I pay 10e/month for unlimited data (it's the cheapest data plan, throttled to 384kbit/s, but it's enough for me. 2mbit/s would be 25e/month). I use it to surf the web, chat on msn/irc/etc, place skype calls and such directly from my mobile phone AND i tether it to my MacBook from time to time. I'm actually typing this message on my MacBook using my Nokia's internet at this very moment...

I really can't stand the limitations of the iPhone and prices like those (30e/month for something my phone can do for free!?), don't really help it. And don't try to say it would cause too much strain on the 3g networks, the "unlimited" data on the iphone over there isn't unlimited anyways.

Matek
Nov 9, 2008, 04:16 AM
Where I live, networks are good enough for tethering problems not to exist, nobody really asks you what you do with your data. Because of that, not being able to use the iPhone as a 3G modem is about as silly as not being able to record videos or send MMS. It's one of the features we expect to see implemented out of the box on every phone we buy nowadays, so this will be a welcome addition.

I may be going too far, but it would be cool if we could turn the iPhone into a wireless access point, like you can do with some Wi-Fi enabled Nokias.

christian_k
Nov 9, 2008, 07:02 AM
I think this may be interesting for some buisnes people, but I don't think most private customers would use that every day and in that case it becomes expensive.
I use a MacBook with a HSDPA USB Stick. I have a prepaid plan,
2.50 Euro for each day it is used and no obligation to pay anything
every month. The stick works greatly with the Mac and I paid
only 88 Euros for it (unlocked!).

I don't know what T-Mobile in Germany will bill for tethering, but it is not hard to guess it will be too much.

Christian

tbohlsennswssrg
Nov 9, 2008, 02:22 PM
I think this may be interesting for some buisnes people, but I don't think most private customers would use that every day and in that case it becomes expensive.
I use a MacBook with a HSDPA USB Stick. I have a prepaid plan,
USD 95.83 per month it is used and no obligation to pay anything
every month. The stick works greatly with the Mac and I paid
only 112.437 USD for it (unlocked!).

I don't know what T-Mobile in Germany will bill for tethering, but it is not hard to guess it will be too much.

Christian

At current exchange rates, with a 30 day month (10/11/2008), USD = United States of America Dollars

alexlovesmacs
Nov 9, 2008, 10:08 PM
Now this makes me want to buy an iphone.

manhattanboy
Nov 10, 2008, 05:15 PM
i agree. i dont need it thaaaaaat bad for 30 a month

Maybe that's the genius of AT&T... they already realize their network is overwhelmed so what's another billion gig's of data coming down per second?

Seriously, I cannot believe this is being offered.
I can barely stream video to the iPhone with the crap network they have now... and what the heck will I do when I am competing with someone with their laptop?:mad:

manhattanboy
Nov 10, 2008, 05:17 PM
yea, tethering is a terrible idea right now.

Lets make a already "iphone" affected 3G network that much slower.

No thanks.

yea totally agree

Alisstar
Nov 10, 2008, 05:48 PM
Remember, 3G speeds vary greatly depending on the area you're in. Personally, the few times I've used PDANet on my laptop my connectivity has been pretty snappy.

zombitronic
Feb 5, 2010, 03:28 PM
What's all the excitement? "Soon" in AT&T speak is "sometime in the same decade"

FAIL

Full of Win
Feb 5, 2010, 03:31 PM
Netshare is working great for me. Thanks, but no thanks. :)