PDA

View Full Version : Apple has 593 percent increase to its site from Superbowl Pe...

MacBytes
Feb 8, 2004, 10:59 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Apple has 593 percent increase to its site from Superbowl Pepsi Ad (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040208115937)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

MetallicPenguin
Feb 8, 2004, 11:18 AM
Wow, I guess that's good right?:cool:

paulypants
Feb 8, 2004, 11:33 AM
too bad there was no new cpu's to
show off on the site :(

ITR 81
Feb 8, 2004, 12:29 PM
Pretty good considering Apple didn't even pay for the commercial.

Photorun
Feb 8, 2004, 01:00 PM
In a word... DANG!

nagromme
Feb 8, 2004, 01:04 PM
Even CNN reports that it's an ad BY AND FOR APPLE! Even CNN doesn't grasp that it's a Pepsi ad, despite ending in a Pepsi logo and slogan and never mentioning Apple. When a drink company has a contest to win a Corvette, to people think the ad is a GM ad???

So why is this mistake SO widespread among so many people, including supposed journalists? Why do they think Apple and not Pepsi?

I think I know. Right now, of the two companies, Apple is far and away the brand with greater mindshare! Not a bad thing at all.

MetallicPenguin
Feb 8, 2004, 01:50 PM
They think of Apple because the commercial was for an iTunes promotion, and most people probably wouldn't bother to go to Pepsi.com because everyone on the commercial was talking about legal downloads from iTunes, and just now I go to www.pepsi.com and find it looks strangely like Apple.com in some ways (you have to wait for it to load, it has four squarish boxes down at the bottom like Apple.com)

Fender2112
Feb 8, 2004, 01:52 PM
I don't think the ad has much to do with. It's the free songs. It gives all those Pepsi drinkers a reason to visit the site.

winmacguy
Feb 8, 2004, 02:04 PM
Any additional traffic to Apple's site/iTunes would be a good thing especially considering that those visiting would have been doing it out of curiosty and with a mindset to purchase and download music. They would also have been mostlikely to have been younger PC owners and not existing Apple customers.

wdlove
Feb 8, 2004, 03:01 PM
The commercial is bound to help Apple. Everyone is correct, it mainly attracts young people. They come looking for iTunes, but they end up surfing the site. The future of Apple is to attract more switchers. If we can get them when they are young, we will have them for a lifetime.

QCassidy352
Feb 8, 2004, 04:28 PM
maybe this will shut up all the people on this site who complained endlessly about the commercial.

HexMonkey
Feb 8, 2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
The commercial is bound to help Apple. Everyone is correct, it mainly attracts young people. They come looking for iTunes, but they end up surfing the site. The future of Apple is to attract more switchers. If we can get them when they are young, we will have them for a lifetime.

Wouldn't it encourage people to switch more if there were more mac related things on the front page? Currently the main page is dominated by music (free songs, mini iPod, Pepsi ad), so if that's what most of these new visitors are looking for, they can go straight to where they want to go, without easily getting sidetracked by mac things. Yes, a site should be easy to navigate, but if there was more variety on the front page, the music things could still be found easily, and macs are advertised too.

I guess the reason is that there isn't much new mac stuff to put there. :D

yamabushi
Feb 8, 2004, 09:30 PM
I hope this extra traffic translated into a significant increase in sales.