Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vergißmeinnicht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Deutschland (I wish)
Hi,

I've been on Mac Rumors FOREVER, but this is my first post. I'm basically new to Macs (for the most part, I used OS 8 or 9 in elementary school), and I've just ordered a new MacBook Pro! It hasn't come in yet, I wish it would ship faster than 5-7 business days! I'm wondering, if I'm using Parallels/VMWare Fusion, is that good for gaming (like with Fallout 3, for example ;)) or should I stick to Boot Camp? The problem is, I don't want to partition my HDD to waste space with Windows! If there isn't any lag and it's not too hard on the system (which I'm sure it could handle, it's a beast! :D), would it be ok to use Parallels/VMWare Fusion for graphically and hardware intensive games?

Edit: Oh and I forgot to say, I wasn't quite sure whether to post this in this forum or in the "Windows on a Mac" forum because it's kind of in the middle, sorry!

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Fallout 3 on my virtual machine? Ouch, please just use Boot Camp.

Just decide the battle between Windows XP 32-bit and Vista 64-bit.

Vergißmeinnicht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Deutschland (I wish)

Thanks a lot! (Wow that was a quick reply!)
Is 64-bit really that much better, or does it just waste more resources like Vista already is great for? I'm running Vista Ultimate 32-bit on this dumb PC, waiting for my Mac; and it's fairly quick but the OS is terrible, crashes all the time when I play CnC 3 Tiberium Wars! To think <i>this</i> was top-of-the line lol.. :p

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Thanks a lot! (Wow that was a quick reply!)
Is 64-bit really that much better, or does it just waste more resources like Vista already is great for? I'm running Vista Ultimate 32-bit on this dumb PC, waiting for my Mac; and it's fairly quick but the OS is terrible, crashes all the time when I play CnC 3 Tiberium Wars! To think <i>this</i> was top-of-the line lol.. :p
Maybe you should actually take the time to investigate what's causing the crashes.

I haven't had any problems with XP 32 or Vista 64. It's just a personal preference to game on XP for me.

ChrisN

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2007
Demarest, NJ

^^ boot camp is a must but which would give me better fps on first person shooters xp or vista?

ChrisN

Vergißmeinnicht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Deutschland (I wish)
^^ boot camp is a must but which would give me better fps on first person shooters xp or vista?

ChrisN

Personally, I think you should go with Vista simply because many of the newer games coming out are like Vista only! At least that's certainly how they appear!

But also, it's more likely XP would give you better FPS, it takes less resources to run the OS. Therefore, you have more resources to run the actual application! :)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Personally, I think you should go with Vista simply because many of the newer games coming out are like Vista only! At least that's certainly how they appear!

But also, it's more likely XP would give you better FPS, it takes less resources to run the OS. Therefore, you have more resources to run the actual application! :)
And those would be?

I can think of Halo 2 and Dark Jogger Shoota but those just have installers that look for Vista and can run in XP. A game developer that doesn't support DX9/OpenGL is a fool right now.

Vergißmeinnicht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Deutschland (I wish)
And those would be?

I can think of Halo 2 and Dark Jogger Shoota but those just have installers that look for Vista and can run in XP. A game company that doesn't support DX9 is a fool right now.

Well there's so many games that say 'Games for Windows' (something like that) and have the little Vista Orb there it just seems like an implication of it only running on Windows, that's why I said it seems like it! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.