Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smellyjw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Hey guys,
I'm looking at purchasing a graphics tablet for myself for christmas and have sort of narrowed my selection down to 3 atm due to cost.

I have only ever used 1 tablet before (which I borrowed off a friend) just a cheap and tiny one. It worked and was great for in Illustrator for when I was drawing vector graphics however I found that when the pen would hover above the pad about 1cm it would pick it up and read it - which annoyed the heck out of me as I didn't want the curser (paint) to start there. I looked at the properties of the tablet and found no real way around getting it ONLY to register when it touched the actual pad. It had pen sensitivity for pressure and that was about it. It still worked absolutely fine though, once I got my head around the sensitivity.

These are the ones I was looking at and am after your opinions and experience

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trust-Graph...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1225935256&sr=8-41

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wacom-Bambo...7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1225935347&sr=8-7

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wacom-Bambo...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1225935347&sr=8-3

and also if you have any suggestions around the £50 mark, would be greatly appreciated :)

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
I've used a friend's black wacom bamboo which looked like the last one. I'm not sure on it being the same size though. It seemed to work pretty well, though the pen felt extremely cheap compared to Intuos tablets I've used at uni.

But then, it's only $79 here in the states (the one w/o a mouse), and the cheapest Intuos is $229 (though three times the price, it is literally twice the tablet.. twice the pressure sensitivity levels, twice the resolution, and two scroll pads)... I suppose there's something to be said about value here!

design-is

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
I have (/had - the pen has begun playing up) a Wacom Graphire3 A5 Tablet from back in 2003ish and I have to say it makes such a difference!

To your sensitivity issue, it should work in a way so that when you hover the pen above the tablet and move it, it's like moving the mouse. When you press the pen to the tablet its like clicking. When you press and move (draw) its the same as clicking and moving a mouse around, but with extra precision and pressure sensitivity.

They aren't cheap though. You may not find you make a good investment if you don't pay out for the more reliable and capable Intuos. Bamboo is really only meant for fun, intuitive use, and signing things - similar to PC tablet laptops.

Professional use requires a bit more like you would get from an Intuos - if you can justify buying one. If your a professional - it will make it's money back very quickly in productivity.

For cheaper options, try e-bay or gumtree. I occasionally see good offers/deals on those.

I'm considering upgrading to a Cintiq as my Graphire3 pen is becoming defective.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
I have a bamboo fun, bought it for $80 on sale. It's not bad, it doesn't behave quite as I'd like it too, but for what I do, it's acceptable. I have never tried the Intuos. I bought the smallest one and would like even smaller. I am not an artist and the shorter my brush strokes are the cleaner they are. Big strokes equals wobbly lines for me. The bamboo is way better than the touchpad or mouse for cleaning up pictures.

ecwyatt

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2005
I would stick with a wacom tablet. I have a intuos 9x12 and love how it incorporates with everything I do. between the Bamboo and Bamboo fun it's basically the same tablet (aesthetics aside) what your paying for the difference in software and a mouse. I never use the mouse that came with my intous, I already have wireless mightymouse for that.

So if your looking at just a tablet I would go with the Bamboo.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
Are you holding the button down when hovering? You arent supposed to do that. The pen tip is what registers clicking, you dont have to hold the buttons when using it.

smellyjw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
I have (/had - the pen has begun playing up) a Wacom Graphire3 A5 Tablet from back in 2003ish and I have to say it makes such a difference!

To your sensitivity issue, it should work in a way so that when you hover the pen above the tablet and move it, it's like moving the mouse. When you press the pen to the tablet its like clicking. When you press and move (draw) its the same as clicking and moving a mouse around, but with extra precision and pressure sensitivity.

They aren't cheap though. You may not find you make a good investment if you don't pay out for the more reliable and capable Intuos. Bamboo is really only meant for fun, intuitive use, and signing things - similar to PC tablet laptops.

Professional use requires a bit more like you would get from an Intuos - if you can justify buying one. If your a professional - it will make it's money back very quickly in productivity.

For cheaper options, try e-bay or gumtree. I occasionally see good offers/deals on those.

I'm considering upgrading to a Cintiq as my Graphire3 pen is becoming defective.

Thanks heaps for letting me know about the hover thing. I still think this particular tablet though is a bit cruddy because that sensor thing is way too touchy - picks up the tip almost an inch away and i hate it.

I'm still going to look at the wacom one.

thank you all very much for responding.

if anyone has anything else to add or any suggestions, theyre greatly appreciate.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
You want the Wacom Intuos for freehand creation of artwork. The Bambo is good enough for photo editing and document mark up,

the Intuos' pen rotation and angle sensors are really required if yo want to simulate real pens and brushes but you don't need that for work on photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.