PDA

View Full Version : Study clears cannabis of schizophrenia rap

edesignuk
Nov 7, 2008, 04:37 AM
So at this point we can say that, no, that bad trip on some heavy **** does not lead on to schizophrenia. There’s no difference in incidence.

But the paper’s authors go much further:

Altogether, these findings, in addition to those of previous studies, indicate that cannabis-induced psychosis may not be a valid diagnosis but an early marker of schizophrenia.

That is, that the very idea of that bad trip is itself wrong. The disease is already there, simply wrongly diagnosed as being cannabis induced. And finally we get:

Rather, the degree of hereditary predisposition in individuals who receive treatment of cannabis-induced psychosis closely mirrors that in those who develop schizophrenia with no history of cannabis induced psychosis. The results agree with those of other studies that show that cannabis predominantly causes psychotic symptoms in those persons who are predisposed to develop psychosis or show signs of psychosis in the absence of cannabis use.The Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/06/cannabis_psychosis_study/).

Dude, that's rad.

Peterkro
Nov 7, 2008, 04:52 AM
It's long been my view that people with schizophrenia type problems who don't have a diagnoses self medicate with various drugs (alcohol and dope mainly) which helps control symptoms in the short term but as the disease progresses become less effective,they finally get a diagnoses and hopefully some real help and whammo the statistic wonks decide the self-medication caused the disease. I haven't read this report in detail but hopefully it will knock that theory on the head.

davidjearly
Nov 7, 2008, 08:40 AM
The usual tabloid-style ramblings from The Register then...

The study raises some interesting points, but does nothing to counter those raised by other studies, which DO show a correlation between cannabis and psychosis when there is no predisposition.

Bottom line? More research needs to be done.

Raid
Nov 7, 2008, 08:51 AM
Bottom line? More research needs to be done. Are they taking volunteers? :D

Scepticalscribe
Nov 7, 2008, 10:20 AM
The usual tabloid-style ramblings from The Register then...

The study raises some interesting points, but does nothing to counter those raised by other studies, which DO show a correlation between cannabis and psychosis when there is no predisposition.

Agree. The jury is still out on this one, and a bit more research still needs to be done.

Cheers

Schtumple
Nov 7, 2008, 10:59 AM
Are they taking volunteers? :D

If they are, sign me up :p

noaccess
Nov 7, 2008, 01:31 PM

Emphasis mine.

The current theory on how disorders like schizophrenia develop is called the diathesis-stress model. I'm no expert, but apparently, there must be a biological predisposition in order for it to develop.

If they are, sign me up http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/tongue.gif
Me too :) Where do I sign?

dmr727
Nov 7, 2008, 01:40 PM
Oh c'mon - like anyone really believed that cannabis use could lead to schizophrenia.

dmr727
Nov 7, 2008, 01:41 PM
Oh c'mon - like anyone really believed that cannabis use could lead to schizophrenia.

What are you, a doctor? What the hell do you know?

dmr727
Nov 7, 2008, 01:42 PM
What are you, a doctor? What the hell do you know?

No need to get all pissy. I'm just saying that lots of people smoke, yet I don't see a rash of schizophrenia going around.

rdowns
Nov 7, 2008, 01:45 PM
^^LMAO.

I've known a lot of pot smokers in my time but none of them were psychotic, at least in the clinical sense.

Peterkro
Nov 7, 2008, 01:49 PM
No need to get all pissy. I'm just saying that lots of people smoke, yet I don't see a rash of schizophrenia going around.

:) Mildly amusing but you do realise split personality (MPS) has nothing to do with schizophrenia?

arkitect
Nov 7, 2008, 01:51 PM
Study clears cannabis of schizophrenia rap

Hummm… I'll have to be looking for other excuses then…

;)

dmr727
Nov 7, 2008, 02:10 PM
:) Mildly amusing but you do realise split personality (MPS) has nothing to do with schizophrenia?

Yeah, I'm aware, but it totally ruins the joke. ;)

Peterkro
Nov 7, 2008, 02:48 PM
Yeah, I'm aware, but it totally ruins the joke. ;)

No problem just saying.I suppose that lets me mention one of the funniest football chants of all time,bit cruel though:

"Two Andy Gorams there's only two Andy Gormans" (after he was diagnosed schizophrenic)

Mord
Nov 7, 2008, 04:46 PM
Personally the stuff induces schizophrenic like symptoms in me for about three days afterwards, I hallucinate wildly and my thoughts get all jumbled to the point that I find it difficult to articulate myself clearly, it's deeply unpleasant and one of the many reasons I don't touch the stuff.

Dagless
Nov 7, 2008, 05:37 PM
At least 2 pot smokers I know became nutters after taking the stuff, one in my own family so that alone puts me completely off it, predisposition or not.

allmIne
Nov 7, 2008, 06:03 PM

Awesome.

Just... awesome.