PDA

View Full Version : Black Screen on ibook G4

calicoeyes
Nov 7, 2008, 10:00 AM
A few months ago I bought an ibook g4 on ebay for $250. It has worked great. I was informed that the model I bought had an issue with the connection between the screen and keyboard. A few times, the screen would go black, but I would re start and it would come back and be fine.
Last night the screen went black and no matter how many times I re start, the screen will not turn on. I even let the battery run out and then try it. Nothing, just a black screen.
Is there anything else I can do, or is it really gone forever?
Is there any way I can get my music off of this ibook? And is there a way I could connect an external screen?

Any help would be appreciated, otherwise I guess I'm gonna just buy a new macbook.

jodelli
Nov 7, 2008, 11:25 AM
It has a Mini vga port, so with an adapter you can hook up to an external monitor.
I'm not encouraged by your screen going black though, this was a problem on some G3 iBooks. Sometimes if the graphics chip was carefully reheated the pins would re-seat, but I've seen one that ended up melted down.

leighonigar
Nov 7, 2008, 11:49 AM
Firewire target disk mode to get stuff off. Find another mac to connect to.

You may be able to revive the laptop by shimming a certain chip. Googling 'ibook g4 graphics fox' or variations therein will likely help.

calicoeyes
Nov 10, 2008, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the advice!!