Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shelbias

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
we are going on a trip to London and Edinburgh later this month and i don't want to pass up on the countless shooting opportunities while there. however, i am aware that it's going to be really gloomy and since i'm a total newbie to DSLR photography, could anyone offer tips on how to compensate for the lack of lighting in outdoor shots?

i tried searching through the forums but i couldn't find anything (or perhaps, my search terms were not sufficient to provide good results).

replies are appreciated! :)

mattw126

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
Naples, FL - Poughkeepsie, NY
Are you bringing a tripod? If so, it could be a great opportunity to shoot for some HDR's. Otherwise, I would just recommend that you shoot RAW - maybe bracket the killer shots, just in case.

This has nothing to do with outdoor shots, but I thought I would share:

Make sure you hit up the pubs in London. I've been there twice a few years back and took some really cool indoor slides with my trusty F2. I shot a lot of candid shots of people laughing, lamenting, sharing stories, caught the whole range of human emotion in those pubs. Just don't ask them to smile for a shot. :p
I'm not much of a drinker now, when I was 20 & 21 (when I visited), that's a completely different story. The English folk are nothing like us Americans, they actually talk to each other. I had so many great conversations with complete strangers. I loved it so much, I deliberated taking off from college for awhile to live there for a year or two. It was just so damn expensive.

BTW, what equipment are you specifically bringing?

junior77

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Michigan
Even though it is 'gloomy', I would think there would be enough light during the day for most shots. Actually, overcast has some nice bonues in not having to deal with harsh shadows.

Indoor....use bounce flash.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
we are going on a trip to London and Edinburgh later this month and i don't want to pass up on the countless shooting opportunities while there. however, i am aware that it's going to be really gloomy and since i'm a total newbie to DSLR photography, could anyone offer tips on how to compensate for the lack of lighting in outdoor shots?

You have it backwards. There is no better light then from an over cast sky. The problem is how to handle direct sunlight. Then we'd be talking about "fill flash" and high flash sync shutter speeds or maybe big white reflectors or even "silks". But overcast lighting is very nice for digital cameras because it is so even and has low dynamic range.

Typically yuor subjects should be close, walk up close and use a wider lens. The reason is atmospheric haze. Nothing kills sharpness and "punch" like fog and haze. But then your camera just can't record the full dynamic range of a brightly sunlit scene. So Adapt and shoot a lot of close to mid distance shots. Architectural details and people come out very well in over cast sky conditions.

If yuo are doing landscapes then really the only time to shot is very close to sun set and sun rise. Just don't bother mid day. Many pros simply don't shoot mid day but with clouds up you can. Take advantage of it and look for subjects 2 to 15 feet away.

Many times I've had to deal with bright sunlight while shooting windflowers by putting up a small white nylon tent ofer the subject to simulate cloud cover and improve color saturation. Not to have to do that would be great.

shelbias

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
BTW, what equipment are you specifically bringing?

I'm bringing my Rebel XSi, an external flash, and lenses: 28-135mm IS USM and my nifty fifty.

We are bringing a tripod (wouldn't pass up on trying some HDR shots over there) so we got that covered. I just hope it doesn't bloody rain the entire time we're there but of course one can only hope.

off-topic: I agree. In Europe, pubs are places where people gather to drink and interact. hence the term public houses (or pub house for short). of course, a bit (or a lot) of alcohol helps with the socializing (it being considered the social lubricant). ;)

Erm... we do get sunshine in Britain... just not all the time.

And we have other places apart from London and Edinburgh... :)

Have a great time...

LOL, I am aware you guys do. I used to live in Seattle and I know it's nowhere near the UK, but the weather is somewhat similar.

I would love to explore when we get there, but we only have 8 days to cover a lot of ground (Bath, Oxford, Windsor, etc). Plus, it's my first time going there. I'm particularly excited to see the Stonehenge (day four in our itinerary). :)

You have it backwards. There is no better light then from an over cast sky. The problem is how to handle direct sunlight. Then we'd be talking about "fill flash" and high flash sync shutter speeds or maybe big white reflectors or even "silks". But overcast lighting is very nice for digital cameras because it is so even and has low dynamic range.

Typically yuor subjects should be close, walk up close and use a wider lens. The reason is atmospheric haze. Nothing kills sharpness and "punch" like fog and haze. But then your camera just can't record the full dynamic range of a brightly sunlit scene. So Adapt and shoot a lot of close to mid distance shots. Architectural details and people come out very well in over cast sky conditions.

If yuo are doing landscapes then really the only time to shot is very close to sun set and sun rise. Just don't bother mid day. Many pros simply don't shoot mid day but with clouds up you can. Take advantage of it and look for subjects 2 to 15 feet away.

Many times I've had to deal with bright sunlight while shooting windflowers by putting up a small white nylon tent ofer the subject to simulate cloud cover and improve color saturation. Not to have to do that would be great.

hmm, i've never seen it from that perspective (shows my inexperience). thanks, ChrisA! i will definitely keep that in mind. :)

keep the tips coming!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.