Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

txr0ckabilly

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2008
Southwest Louisiana
can someone explain this to me please?

if someone were to steal my phone or i was to leave it somewhere, i can only locate it if that person happens to tap the trak icon?

i'm sorry if this a dumb question but this app has decent instructions for the setup but no instructions on how it works. i set it up fine and added my url. the only time it shows up in the info on the website is after i've tapped the trak icon, as if this is the icon that should now be used as the browser icon.

i don't know, it's a good idea but if this is how it's supposed to work i think it needs a bit more work.

also why didn't apple install a native app that had this feature on iphones, touches, notebooks, etc ?

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
since apps can't run in the background, i would imagine that the dumb thief would have to start the app before you can track him, and that assumes the gps signal is good as well. otherwise, useless app.

as for why apple doesn't have something built in to track lost/stolen devices? probably because they want you to buy a new device as opposed to recovering your old one. they don't even need to build something into the iphone to track the device, they just need to have the address of the thief's itunes account reported to the police when the thief tries to tether the stolen device to his/her itunes accout. to have this done will not cost apple much to create or maintain. more sales, plain and simple.

txr0ckabilly

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2008
Southwest Louisiana
as for why apple doesn't have something built in to track lost/stolen devices? probably because they want you to buy a new device as opposed to recovering your old one. they don't even need to build something into the iphone to track the device, they just need to have the address of the thief's itunes account reported to the police when the thief tries to tether the stolen device to his/her itunes accout. to have this done will not cost apple much to create or maintain. more sales, plain and simple.

yeah i'm on my second because of a stolen phone. i was kind of hoping this was the app to prevent the purchase of a third if i ever had it lost stolen.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
yeah i'm on my second because of a stolen phone. i was kind of hoping this was the app to prevent the purchase of a third if i ever had it lost stolen.

Sorry to hear that. I lost my phone one night coming home in a drunken stupor. Kept calling my the next day until finally someone picked up. Luckily he was kind enough to return my phone. The second worst thing to losing your wallet and all your credit cards and id's is losing your phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.