Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bnemesis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2003
Ok. Looking to expand my toolset.

I can get Macromedia Webdesign Studio 4 for $199 which contains Flash 5, Freehand 10, blah blah blah. wont use the rest.
Then I could upgrade to Flash MX 2004 for $199 since you need Flash 5 or above.
Freehand 10 runs on OS X, so I wouldnt upgrade that. ($400 total)

OR
I could get the $199 studio and get an upgrade to Flash MX for $50 ($250)

OR

I can grab a copy of Flash 4 ($35) and upgrade to Flash MX ($50). Total $85.

I will definatly be using Flash, but are the differances between Flash MX and 2004 signifigant?

Also, is Freehand worth using?

bnemesis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2003
Ended up getting Flash 4 full and the Flash MX upgrade. At under $100 for both, I could still get the Flash MX 2004 upgrade and save $200 over retail. Yay!

Any opinions on Freehand vs. Illustrator?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I prefer Illustrator, especially the new CS version, but that's just coming from my self-taught background.

Many graphic designers I've talked to prefer Freehand.

RedStar

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2003
San Diego
Freehand vs Illustrator?

My professors have had us use both, so at the moment I'm not quite sure as what I prefer.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I definitely like Freehand better than Illustrator, mainly because it supports multiple page documents. There are other little things here and there but nothing else so powerful for me. Illustrator just seems entirely too inflexible over all.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
I like Freehand. It's got enough page-layout tools that I can get away with using it as a cheap substitute for both Illustrator and InDesign. Freehand MX is a definite improvement over 10 as well. Plus it's easy to integrate FH images into Flash for silly little animations.

One of these days I'll buy the Adobe creative suite, but until them I'm happy with Macromedia's Studio MX. Specially since I bought it before graduation for $199. And I used it a whole lot my last year in school.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.