PDA

View Full Version : Power Mac G4 smells like burnt plastic

Zephirus
Nov 7, 2008, 09:43 PM
Hello, my powermac g4 digital audio 733mhz smells like burnt plastic(or what appears to be toxic fumes) whenever its powered on. Everything works fine when using it, except the smell. I'Ve since stopped using it, since it really is hard for the nose and head. I was wondering what are the causes for that smell.

If no solution is found, it might possibly be taken back for recycling or whatever they do with old computers at the university.

SuperCompu2
Nov 7, 2008, 09:50 PM
The Studio Display has what's known as an ADC (Apple Display Connector) which has DVI, USB and Power all built into one plug.

There are converters to turn it into regular DVI, but it's not really justifiable for the smaller LCDs. (The CRT studio display and larger LCDs are better suited for the converter, as they'd be more worthwhile to use)

As for the smell, have you opened up the unit and taken a look? it might be something as simple as a RAM clip touching a heat sink or something.

TheReef
Nov 8, 2008, 01:52 AM
Is the PSU whining? It could be on it's way out.
I got a strange smell once on my Sawtooth G4, but never happened again.

Burnt capacitors, graphics card, even hard drive?
Ribbon cable touching heat sink?

I guess it's just a case of opening the case and finding the culprit.

California
Nov 8, 2008, 11:02 AM
you really have to clean those G4s. Dust gets in them over the years.

Same with G5's. They need to be really taken apart and cleaned. Amazing how built up dust/dirt/goo affects performance.