PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4's dead?

boilingchill
Nov 7, 2008, 09:48 PM
Hello everyone. Forgive my lack of tech knowhow.

I woke up this morning to find my ibookG4 1.33 (2004) doing this to me:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/boilingchill/Image124.jpg

Everything seems normal (sounds, chimes) and when it starts up, it changes to a blue screen for a second and then reverts back to the static lines. I belive it actually starts up properly. The only catch is all i get are lines!!!

I tried using the VGA adapter to connect to another monitor and its the same so i reckon its not the display. I also did the cmd+option A+V and P+R method to no avail. I tried the C Clamp method as well, appying pressure on the left area of the trackpad. Nothing doing.

I know I'm really silly for not backing up my files and all but all i need is for it to work for about 30 mins for me to back up all my pictures and work (yes yes i'm a sentimental dude) and i can throw it off the 10th storey.

Any ideas anyone? :(

SuperCompu2
Nov 7, 2008, 09:57 PM
As far as file recovery goes, you could try a hard drive removal or Target disk mode. Be sure you have a firewire cable so you can hook it up to another mac to grab the important files if you go the TDM path.

Scottological
Nov 7, 2008, 10:07 PM
Bring it to the Genius Bar or Geek Squad without delay. And relax. You didn't necessarily experience a catastrophic hard drive failure that results in lost data. You might have, but likely not.

boilingchill
Nov 7, 2008, 10:09 PM
As far as file recovery goes, you could try a hard drive removal or Target disk mode. Be sure you have a firewire cable so you can hook it up to another mac to grab the important files if you go the TDM path.

Apologies for sounding really ignorant... but with regards to the hard drive removal, do you suggest literally removing the hardware from the system? Does it become sort of an external HDD then?

How do i go about the TDM path?

Again, thanks for all the help. :)

California
Nov 7, 2008, 11:36 PM
You have the infamous video card problem.

IS this a 12" or a 14"?

Your hard drive should be fine.