Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

castanzarules

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
A2
Hey guys.

I just ordered a new HDD for my aluminum MacBook and I have a few questions. I got an external enclosure for my current HDD so I'm not going to have any problems transferring all of my files but I have a question about software:

I have MS Office 2008 installed on my current HDD. How do I install it on my new HDD once it is in my MacBook without using a new installation key? In other words, how do I install it on the new HDD using the same installation key that I used on my current HDD. Is that even possible? I really don't want to use another of my three installation keys.

Also, once I have the new HDD in my MacBook, how do I boot up and install Leopard. Will it even boot up with the new HDD considering it doesn't have any OS installed on it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Guys!

LED

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2008
Since you have an enclosure to use, the easiest thing to do is make a clone of your existing drive. When you get your new drive, put it into the enclosure. Use DiskUtility to format it (make sure you format it using the GUID scheme). Then download SuperDuper! (its free) and use it to make an exact copy of your existing drive. Once that is done, swap the drives and your done. It'll be like nothing changed.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Since you have an enclosure to use, the easiest thing to do is make a clone of your existing drive. When you get your new drive, put it into the enclosure. Use DiskUtility to format it (make sure you format it using the GUID scheme). Then download SuperDuper! (its free) and use it to make an exact copy of your existing drive. Once that is done, swap the drives and your done. It'll be like nothing changed.
That's exactly what I would do. No reinstallation needed, since the new hdd will be an exact duplicate of your existing hdd. I use SuperDuper! all the time at hoem and at work and it is great.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast

When I cloned my drives, I also used SuperDuper to do it. However, I found it so useful, I ponied up the dough for the full version so that I could continually clone my drives without having to do the erase/copy. The full version lets you do a "smart" copy.

I have had much better luck with SuperDuper than with CarbonCopyCloner.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
When I cloned my drives, I also used SuperDuper to do it. However, I found it so useful, I ponied up the dough for the full version so that I could continually clone my drives without having to do the erase/copy. The full version lets you do a "smart" copy.

I have had much better luck with SuperDuper than with CarbonCopyCloner.
Same here. For some reason I have never trusted CCC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.