Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gozar80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
Hello

So, now I have it, my first mac=) I bougth the new aluminium macbook some days ago and yesterday I received the mini displayport -> DVI adapter (the small thing for 29$).

My problem now is, that the macbook recognizes the Monitor as the HP LP3065 correctely, but the shown resolutions stop at 1280x1024=( I know that the adapter is not for duallink DVI and for that I cannot reach the native resolution of my 30", but the singlelink max. of 1900x1280 would be enough to work.

Has anyone the same problems? I tryed the adapter with a 22" from Samsung. The macbook then shows the correct resolution of 1600x1280, so the adapter is ok. Does anyone knows how to force macOS to use another resolution for the external monitor? The monitors are not mirrored (different screens on the LCD of the laptop and the HP), and there are no other options on the GUI=/

Please help me!!

THX=)
Stefan

P.s.: Sry for my bad english=/

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Have you tried reducing the color gamut from millions - to thousands? A long shot, but still worth a try.

I wanted a 30", but I was afraid of exactly what you're experiencing, so I went with a 24". I'm running the mini-dvi to VGA adapter, and it gives me up to 1920 x 1200 on both displays. (on an imac 6,1)

I hope you get it working. If you can't get anything out of your current configuration - try using the vga adapter (that is, if the HP has a VGA input)

Good luck!

Another thought, perhaps if you closed the display on the macbook (or disabled it somehow) it would allow for a higher resolution on the external.

gozar80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
Hi

unfortunately even reducing the colors brings no further resolutions on the 30"=/ I found on some forums similar (even if not the same) threads. It seams that the update from 10.5.4 to 10.5.5 introducces this kind of monitor issues. Does you know how to downgrad my macos 10.5.5. to 10.5.4? Maybe this would help, I cannot work on the 13.3" screen and it makes headache looking at thoose enormous pixels on the 30"

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
All displays larger than 24" (at least the ones with a resolution that's higher than that of a typical 24" one, i.e. larger than 1920x1200 pixels) can only be driven by a min Display Port > Dual Link DVI adapter. With the mini Display Port > DVI adapter, you can't get up to the native resolution of the 30" display.

So unless you get the mini Display Port > Dual Link DVI adapter, you're screwed.

EDIT: Ah, sorry, I misread your post. Missed the part where you wrote yourself that you know about not being able to drive the display at it's native resolution. But to be blunt, why would you find the non-native resolution of 1920x1200 pixels okay? Non-native resolutions look completely crap on LCD displays, in my opinion. Just get the correct adapter and get it over with. At least that's what I would do.

foodle

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Most (all?) 30" displays can only operate at two resolutions 1280x800 and 2560x1600. They do not have scaling capabilities like the 24" LCDs. Not sure what the reason is, but again, most likely your 30" can only run at certain resolutions. Check your manual or manufacturer website.

gozar80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
no 30" like all other monitor types can operatate in many supported resolutions, under windows for example I play using 1900x1280 for performance reasons. If under Mac OS only 2 resolutions are supported, then this is a software problem=/

foodle

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
no 30" like all other monitor types can operatate in many supported resolutions, under windows for example I play using 1900x1280 for performance reasons. If under Mac OS only 2 resolutions are supported, then this is a software problem=/

Ah, my mistake. Previous generation 30" LCDs were limited to only two resolutions, but it looks like the newer ones can handle a range of input resolutions.

paepcke

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2008

Please keep in mind that under windows the gfx-card (and NOT the monitor!) does the scaling. All Nvidia and ATI drivers have enabled by DEFAULT the gfx-card scaling.

Try to disable them and test your display again.

Greetings,
MP

gozar80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
Please keep in mind that under windows the gfx-card (and NOT the monitor!) does the scaling. All Nvidia and ATI drivers have enabled by DEFAULT the gfx-card scaling.

I disabled scaling in the nvidia system configuration under windows on my desktop PC, but the number of resolutions didn't change. Tomorrow I will try to install a XP on the macbook using bootcamp and try there

vga4life

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
You should just buy the dual-link adapter. Buying the single-link adapter was $29 down the drain.

fathom

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2008
Irvine, CA
The issue is that some monitors have built-in scaling and others don't. Yours likely does not.

I bought a 30" Dell specifically because it has built-in, hardware scaling. That way, it can take a 1920x1200 input and scale it up to 2560x1600. Yes, it is all fuzzy and doesn't look great, but that's the only option that Apple has given us to date. Once the dual-link adapter is available (or in my case, a mini-displayport to standard displayport), I'll finally be able to display at the native resolution.

In the absence of scaling built-in to the monitor, your monitor likely only takes input of 1280x800 or 2560x1600. I would be very surprised if your single-link adapter could do 2560x1600 (even scaled to 1920x1200 in Windows as you say).

I'm guessing that this scenario of Windows doing 1920x1200 is using a dual-link adapter from a different computer (right?). That's the only way that this could happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.