PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still using an old iBook? What for?

pit29
Nov 9, 2008, 04:26 AM
Hi all,

It just came to my mind that at some storage place of mine, I have an old special edition (grey) iBook that i bought in 1999, if I remember correctly. Can't look it up right now, but I think it had one USB port, one ethernet port, a CD-ROM drive, and it was running OS9.

Is anyone of you still using old iBooks, and what for? Would a version (which?) of OS X run, or would you suggest staying with OS9? Kind of sad to have it just laying around - it was amazing, back in the days...

Pit

sananda
Nov 9, 2008, 04:27 AM
sadly mine was stolen; i still miss it.

garyoke
Nov 9, 2008, 04:35 AM
Yes, I still have my old Graphite Special edition. I tried running OS X on it, but it was v-e-r-y s-l-o-w and don't recommend it.

Why hold onto it aside from its kitsch value (looks like a handbag! Teachers love it! It's Kevlar case is similar to material used in bullet proof vests!)?

One word: BUGDOM

Couldn't stop playing it 10 years ago, now it's a favorite of the young grandkids.

sigh

pit29
Nov 9, 2008, 04:43 AM
I tried running OS X on it, but it was v-e-r-y s-l-o-w and don't recommend it.

Yeah, a long time ago I installed the then newest version of OS X: 10.0! It was funny seeing the bouncing dock icons, I could have watched them forever. That has been the good thing about OS X running slow ;-)

Never tried later versions of OS X, though.

old-wiz
Nov 9, 2008, 08:23 AM
I have a 3 year old iBook, running Leopard 10.5.5. I use it when I travel to keep in touch. Sometimes I use it around the house when I want to sit on the porch. It has 512 memory.

hmai18
Nov 9, 2008, 11:04 AM
Not really "old" but my 1.33Ghz G4 iBook is still my main machine, at least until my new unibody macbook arrives this week. Had to replace a crashed harddrive last year, but otherwise, it's been fine for the 3+ years I've owned it.

sananda
Nov 9, 2008, 11:07 AM
Not really "old" but my 1.33Ghz G4 iBook is still my main machine, at least until my new unibody macbook arrives this week. Had to replace a crashed harddrive last year, but otherwise, it's been fine for the 3+ years I've owned it.

well, if we're counting those white ibooks then i'm also using a 1.33 GHz G4 as my main machine.

mariov
Nov 9, 2008, 12:29 PM
i still use as my main machine my ibook g4, 1.07, 1.25 ram and 60 gb hdd. And it runs leopard pretty well!! :D

CaptainCaveMann
Nov 9, 2008, 04:46 PM
Hi all,

It just came to my mind that at some storage place of mine, I have an old special edition (grey) iBook that i bought in 1999, if I remember correctly. Can't look it up right now, but I think it had one USB port, one ethernet port, a CD-ROM drive, and it was running OS9.

Is anyone of you still using old iBooks, and what for? Would a version (which?) of OS X run, or would you suggest staying with OS9? Kind of sad to have it just laying around - it was amazing, back in the days...

Pit

I'm using a 12" iBook G4 and it's slowwwww. I can't wait to get a new macbook as soon as I have some money. Which is never. :mad:

Warsteiner
Nov 9, 2008, 04:59 PM
I'm using a 14" iBook 1.42Ghz that I've owned for the last three-and-a-half years. It's been useful and utterly reliable, but by God it's slow compared to the latest macs! It's beginning to piss me off that watching a youtube vid requires 90% CPU usage, bringing the CPU temperature up to 68 degrees celsius and burning my lap in the process.

I'm currently saving up for a snappy new aluminum MacBook. They're not cheap, though, so that could take some time...

patrickmacrumor
Nov 9, 2008, 07:25 PM
Wish I had an iBook. It's the one machine that got me interested in Mac. I like the "square" shape. But, by the time, I could afford a Mac, it was replaced by the MacBook.

For what I do, I don't need a powerful machine. Essays, and e-mail don't need a powerful computer. So, I might get one from E-bay.

cypher
Nov 9, 2008, 09:35 PM
I stilll use my 1.5Ghz, 1.25gb ram, 12" Powerbook OS X 10.5.5 more than I use my 2.16Ghz white iMac. The only problem is with HD h.264 files and that the battery lasts only for 20 mins. I love the size and have no problems running VLC, itunes, Adium, Skype, NetNewsWire lite, Transmissons, Quicksilver and 20 tabs in safari at the same time. I'm not sure if this is really the case, but after a clean install from Tiger to Leopard 10.5.2 it seemed to be a little snappier than before. Dashboard can be a little sluggish at times though, but no big deal. Every time a new version of the Macbook comes out I really want to buy one but cant seem to justify the purchase when my powerbook does pretty much everything I want. Could use a HDD upgrade from the 60GB though. It is the best laptop I have ever owned and one that been with me the longest (out of the last six)and I just cant seem to give it up.

clyde2801
Nov 9, 2008, 10:46 PM
If you're just going to do surfing and word processing, the ibooks will do just fine, just max the ram out. The build quality seemed to be better on them, and the 12" form factor is still hard to beat.

I almost grabbed a last gen one, but decided to go for a 2.4 MBP for some SERIOUS overkill....:rolleyes:

GimmeSlack12
Nov 9, 2008, 10:55 PM
I'm writing this on my 2005 12" iBook G4. 1.25GHz.
Its my go-to machine. Sits around for everything that I want to do. Perfect living room laptop.

Skeletal-dæmon
Nov 9, 2008, 11:45 PM
Dad used a 12" iBook as his main computer for ages. It died last year though. He doesn't have a computer at the moment if you discount the Mac Plus that the original company records are (still) on.