PDA

View Full Version : How to mod a MacBook Nano (Black&White), pics-a-plenty!

iSamurai
Nov 9, 2008, 07:40 AM
While browsing through Engadget Chinese, I came across this. At first I thought it was another photoshopped ordeal, but it turns out this guy actually turned his MSI Wind into a MacBook netbook! The process of modding this is way more interesting than loading OSX onto the system, IMO.

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/7681/2990845155a2ba3854d6bf3.jpg

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/7980/2991697754e5131a521ara2.jpg

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/9001/30127586868793ec406efi4.jpg

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/8559/3012764080c354ec8918os2.jpg

http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/7821/30121737492c1db8ebb0aj8.jpg

The best part is the Apple logo at the back does actually glow! It's not a pasted-on sticker, although he said that the logo is skewed to the right by 5 millimetres. He even made the black model's cover looking like brushed aluminium!

What's also worth mentioning is that he loaded this thing with Final Cut Pro and Adobe Lightroom... and he hooked it up to a FullHD screen. yeah. Well, according to the specs, it's not that bad (same processor as my eeeBox ;)), 1.6GHz Intel Atom, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD. I'm surprised at how it handles OSX smoothly, meanwhile if you run Vista on that spec it will probably lag like... er... Vista. So OSX is like XP. light and nice, except OSX is better :)

I would really, really, REALLY want Apple to bring out a netbook in this "nascent market"... Well yeah, you've got nothing to lose :P I don't need any fancy touchscreen or multi touch blablabla, I'd just like a standard laptop shrinked to about 10" that is light enough to carry it anywhere.

IMO I don't mind my MacBook's size, it's just that it's too heavy! (Yeah, A MacBook Air fits into my category... except the price and the fact that you can't touch the RAM and the battery)

===================
More photos in the links below:

MacBook Nano Black
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mickpro/sets/72157608760097262

MacBook Nano White (and black)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mickpro/sets/72157608560230667/

The Engadget Chinese's "unboxing"
http://bbs.cool3c.com/article/1032

MasterNile
Nov 9, 2008, 07:48 AM
Looks pretty cool. With this, hackintoshs, and the guy that's working on putting a matte MBA screen into a new Alu MB, Apple really needs to wake up and realize what their customers want is options and if they aren't willing to give them to us someone else will

iSamurai
Nov 9, 2008, 10:30 AM
Looks pretty cool. With this, hackintoshs, and the guy that's working on putting a matte MBA screen into a new Alu MB, Apple really needs to wake up and realize what their customers want is options and if they aren't willing to give them to us someone else will

I'm sure they won't realise and will be ignorant like ever before since Apple makes "premium" products that are more "superior" than other computer manufacturers (but this is true)... and by the way, who is "someone else"? I'd love to see someone producing Apple hardware though -- I think that's the whole point to own an Apple computer. The other is its operating system.

Yeah, like the Psystar court case... they should just (at least) sell a copy of OSX to PC machines... but the reason why Apple's not doing that is because there will be cheaper computers out there -- less people will purchase their hardware -- this is where Apple makes its cash from.

Well if they are adamant about loading OSX onto non-Apple machines, they could've at least bring out a few extra models like the netbooks and the nettops. Steve Jobs is playing the game too safely by calling it a "nascent" market and they have no plans to produce them in the near future.

Think about the iPhone. The iPod. They all revolutionised the world. No one thought Apple would bring out a phone, or an MP3 player before they did. Now they're selling them like hotcakes. So maybe Apple should send market research people to come read Mac Rumours and Hackintosh a little... maybe all of us Apple lovers are hinting them with all those ideas.

ha- I just need to get that out. :D

benthewraith
Nov 10, 2008, 06:55 PM
<snipped

The color profile on that 17" MBP, which I'm assuming is a Core Duo because of the bevel, is absolutely terrible.

thejadedmonkey
Nov 11, 2008, 12:36 AM
The color profile on that 17" MBP, which I'm assuming is a Core Duo because of the bevel, is absolutely terrible.

Or the camera needs to be white balanced?

funkyc
Nov 11, 2008, 12:48 AM
i would love it if apple would bring out a netbook :cool:
have been waiting for one for a while now and i would happily pay a premium over similar products in the market for something with OSX on it natively without having to resort to building a hackintosh myself :rolleyes:

hopefully if and when apple finally bring out their own version of this product it'll look a little bit better than a msi wind :p

bdkennedy1
Nov 11, 2008, 12:49 AM
And how many times has Steve Jobs said Apple wasn't interested in something...

Phones, tiny computers, servers, streaming media devices...

ltldrummerboy
Nov 11, 2008, 01:01 AM
Wow, that looks great. I could get one of those and an iMac for the same price as a new MacBook.

jeffmc
Nov 11, 2008, 01:01 AM

right, cause that looks like something apple would make.. with the awkward keyboard thats different than all their other laptops and the hideous led lights on the front of the bottom case... definitely meets mr. jobs' standards....

ltldrummerboy
Nov 11, 2008, 01:02 AM
right, cause that looks like something apple would make.. with the awkward keyboard thats different than all their other laptops and the hideous led lights on the front of the bottom case... definitely meets mr. jobs' standards....

Well, Jobs' version would look like an Apple product. Beautiful. Their take on a netbook doesn't have to look like that.

Beric
Nov 11, 2008, 01:09 AM
A netbook would be great.

Of course, it won't happen, because Steve prefers to get $1000 out of someone for an Apple notebook computer, when all they need is a $300 netbook.

nicksoper
Nov 11, 2008, 01:10 AM
Cheap and nasty - nuff said.

Jpoon
Nov 11, 2008, 01:15 AM
This has been done several times now... This is just the only guy to go so far as to actually make the label / logo look authentic....

As far as the actual OS X hack, this is old news. Just high-rez pics. The MSI Wind is a nice little machine though, especially with OS X almost working at full capacity with its hardware. I'm pretty sure they just got the headphone / speaker sound to work, according to Wired. I don't have the link.

I might just shell out for one of these though, and put Leapord / upgrades on it myself. I've been really wanting to try one of these babies out. It'd sure as hell make all those people running around with the Inspiron Mini's shut up. :D

Jpoon
Nov 11, 2008, 01:18 AM

"A netbook is a small to medium sized, light-weight, low-cost, energy-efficient laptop, generally optimized for internet based services such as web browsing and e-mailing." -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netbook

Note: Low Cost

You're probably one of those people that thinks functionality / usability ='s how much money was wasted on the production materials. lewl :cool:

ventro
Nov 11, 2008, 01:18 AM
Obviously the details aren't there but the form factor is AWESOME.

Thickness of MBA + Form factor of this computer + aluminum chicklet backlit keys = Perfect Satellite

neil51
Nov 11, 2008, 01:20 AM
I was looking at these 'netbooks' today. Almost bought one but thought I'll hold off until Macworld, just in case. I only use my Macbook for mail, net and iTunes, the mini does the rest. I would like something smaller that has the full OS, just like a 'netbook'. An iPod Touch or iPhone just isn't quite there for me, the screen's too small. And as we all know Steve will say one thing then pull something out of his pants later. He did say he would never use flash in a music player.

jbernie
Nov 11, 2008, 01:21 AM

Just call it something close to a proof of concept. The black one really doesn work coor wise, maybe leave it similar to the white with that glossy look. The white looks respectable, if it is capable of running some more processor/memory intensive apps then even better.

Overall at this price/performance level it gives you a super portable almost full functional laptop which would pass at suitable for most people, unfortunately for us the consumer, Apple doesn't consider the market suitable (profitable enough?) for them and will continue to avoid it.

Between mid towers and netbooks Apple might end up seeing a good number of machines built/sold that are capable of running OSX of which none of them are sold by them.

Michael CM1
Nov 11, 2008, 01:36 AM
1) Whoever posted this can't use the term "sub-notebook" for whatever pipe dream this is. That term was floated around a bazillion times last year when speculation was around the MacBook Air. Why someone thinks Apple is going to make an itty bitty POS computer is beyond me. The iPhone would cost $600 without the contract to soften the blow. How do you propose competing with $300 machines?

2) What is up with the niche product fascination? Apple's top sellers are the MacBooks. I don't know if MBP or iMac comes next, but that's where their bread is buttered. Apple has been wasting a lot of time going the niche route when they should be looking into a mid-tower Mac in the price range of the iMac. Go look at every computer store and that's about as un-niche as you can get. No more MBA's, netbooks, or tablet PCs. The iPhone is a hit because it's a variation on something most people already had (iPods and cell phones). Most Windows users have a mid-tower box.

jmann
Nov 11, 2008, 01:40 AM
I was looking at these 'netbooks' today. Almost bought one but thought I'll hold off until Macworld, just in case. I only use my Macbook for mail, net and iTunes, the mini does the rest. I would like something smaller that has the full OS, just like a 'netbook'. An iPod Touch or iPhone just isn't quite there for me, the screen's too small. And as we all know Steve will say one thing then pull something out of his pants later. He did say he would never use flash in a music player.

I think that is a wise decision. You never know what surprising goodies they might reveal at the Conference! I am excited to see what they debut. :D

macthetiger85
Nov 11, 2008, 01:41 AM
I'm pretty sure it has less to do (I said less, not nothing - leaves room for exceptions :rolleyes:) with the screen size as it does not being 999 and above (or 1799 in the air's case)

People want 299 or 399 and they could do it.

1GB Ram (do you really need more for safari?)
120GB (iPod HD)
in fact - you know what - same thing that's in the iPhone except the accelerometer and the 120GB HD instead of flash - or better yet - 16GB or 32GB Flash (with USB for extra storage if needed)

no phone, yes camera, run special OSX Touch (no not touch screen, just same interface as iPhone) and a 7-9" screen. Same size keys as MacbookAir - just fill in the gaps in between. Available in green (eco friendly - not the color) aluminum.

299 for 16GB and 399 for 32GB

runs apps from iPhone/iPodTouch App Store.
(Maybe it would need the accelerometer so all of the apps could be run)

macthetiger85
Nov 11, 2008, 01:43 AM
Only Apple could take a netbook that sells for 299, make it sexy and sell it for 799 instead and still make a fortune off of it!

I want to blame the company - but we have only ourselves to blame - they wouldn't do it if it weren't selling.

kajitox
Nov 11, 2008, 01:47 AM
Am I the only one that thinks these are REALLY impressive specs?

IroquoisPliskin
Nov 11, 2008, 01:51 AM
A single core 1.6Ghz Atom running OSX would make the 1.5Ghz CoreSolo Mini feel like a MacPro in performance, the :apple:TV would be more powerful! There is no way in hell would I buy a pile of junk like that "MacbookNano".

People already have a "netbook" and tablet PC, they are called the MacBook Air and iPhone.

kajitox
Nov 11, 2008, 01:52 AM
A single core 1.6Ghz Atom running OSX would make the 1.5Ghz CoreSolo Mini feel like a MacPro in performance. There is no way in hell would I buy a pile of junk like that "MacbookNano".

People already have a "netbook" and tablet PC, they are called the MacBook Air and iPhone.

I disagree - the MacBook Air is far from a netbook, if you haven't used one I would definitely give it a shot to realize the differences. The iPhone is closer to a netbook, IMO, but still very far from it as well.

Carniphage
Nov 11, 2008, 01:53 AM
I made myself one of these.

It's a great little machine. Same size as a hardback book.

But I don't think Apple will make one. It's similar in specification to the Air, and costs about 1/4 of the price.

C.

NATO
Nov 11, 2008, 02:01 AM
I've had an Acer Aspire A150AW netbook and to be honest, although I got OS X onto it (and working very, very well it must be said), I just didn't really like it that much after using it for a few weeks. It just felt a bit cheap and nasty compared to what I'm used to.

In addition, although it's small in terms of its width and depth, it's actually not very slim. Personally I'd rather have the MacBook Air because of its immense thinness than a netbook which is smaller but thicker. In addition, a 13.3" screen is a usable size screen for an extended time, whereas those 9 or 10" screens can get a little hard to work with for all but an hour or two.

min_t
Nov 11, 2008, 02:14 AM
Apple is waiting for the new ARM chip from PA Semi that will go into the macbook nano. Relax, it'll be out X-mas 2009.

mrr
Nov 11, 2008, 02:23 AM
The funny thing is that the MSI WIND at 10.3"x7" 1.6ghz $350 is NEARLY THE SAME SIZE as the 1997 Macintosh POWERBOOK 2300c at 10.9" x8.5" 100mhz $3700. What short memories people have!! Powerbooks were small and then got big, and now we want them small again.

I just purchased the MSI WIND and I like the keyboard and hardware for the price with the exception of the wonky Windows XP. Maybe I will do a OSX mod if I can figure it out.

What I really would like is a 10" MacBook AIR. THAT would be really SWEET. Apple could do it on a MINUTE. I would pay a $1,000 - $1,300 premium of that. Now that I am dreaming, I would like to see a TABLET, with natural writing input like the NEWTON, that would include a BLUETOOTH keyboard. In fact, WHY IN THE HELL DOESN'T THE APPLE IPHONE SUPPORT THE APPLE BLUETOOTH KEYBOARD? And don't get me started in CUT & PASTE...

unixphone
Nov 11, 2008, 02:30 AM
ummm wonder how much he spent on doing that. I am graduating this december and would like to make a macbook nano like him :)
aluminum macbook nano looks good to me. (:P i want the damn apple logo though)

illegallydead
Nov 11, 2008, 02:32 AM
impressive specs for that little machine! With the exception of the CPU, it's as good for better than my '07 MB :p

Something tells me that if Apple does enter this market, they will do so in typical Apple fashion: sexy as hell, ludicrously overpriced for it's components, but very well put together. I would say the difference between any ordinary netbook and and :apple:netbook would of course be the overall feel of quality (or maybe that's just the better-than-though aura apple loves to have).

To those bickering about the iPhone/MBA issue: the iPhone is not enough of a netbook as it is no good at word processing. It can surf the internet just fine, but you try taking notes in a lecture or something on an iPhone :D
Also, the MBA is not a netbook. It is god-awful expensive, and is the same thing as a MB, just more pricey and less spec'd. Those complaining about the weight difference between the two need to grow a pair :rolleyes:. That said, a small (10"-ish screen) MB would be sweet in that it just that much more portable. Apple does not seem to understand that while the MBA is portable in the respect that it is kinda lighter, the fact that it is 13" diagonal means that it will no just fit into a sack/purse kind of thing.

The problem Apple has in general hardware wise is that they have to compete with the ENTIRE PC market. People who love OS X (rightly so :D) want the kind of machines they had/have in PC's. Apple does not / can not produce all the niche's that the 10's to 100's of PC manufacturers out there can fill. So, without licensing OS X for usage on non-:apple: hardware, they/we will always be limited in their offerings, as they are one company that has to keep some sort of focus. So while the whole "Mac Experience" of hardware and software that are pretty polished and work wonderfully with each other is wonderful in some respects, it also necessarily limits the quantity of niche products that can be filled since Apple is either smart enough business wise as to not spread itself thinly into all those markets, or arrogant enough as to think that they know what we want. Personally, I would dare say that it is a little of both...

OK, speech finished, feel free to continue griping/arguing/shooting holes in my argument :)

specialbuddy
Nov 11, 2008, 02:36 AM
This has been done several times now... This is just the only guy to go so far as to actually make the label / logo look authentic....

As far as the actual OS X hack, this is old news. Just high-rez pics. The MSI Wind is a nice little machine though, especially with OS X almost working at full capacity with its hardware. I'm pretty sure they just got the headphone / speaker sound to work, according to Wired. I don't have the link.

I might just shell out for one of these though, and put Leapord / upgrades on it myself. I've been really wanting to try one of these babies out. It'd sure as hell make all those people running around with the Inspiron Mini's shut up. :D
Other people have modded the wind.
http://www.shareinthejoy.com/hackintosh1.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL175/7414394/20598683/336907904.jpg

All kinds of pics
http://forums.msiwind.net/post44132.html

illegallydead
Nov 11, 2008, 02:36 AM
The funny thing is that the MSI WIND at 10.3"x7" 1.6ghz $350 is NEARLY THE SAME SIZE as the 1997 Macintosh POWERBOOK 2300c at 10.9" x8.5" 100mhz $3700. What short memories people have!! Powerbooks were small and then got big, and now we want them small again.

I just purchased the MSI WIND and I like the keyboard and hardware for the price with the exception of the wonky Windows XP. Maybe I will do a OSX mod if I can figure it out.

What I really would like is a 10" MacBook AIR. THAT would be really SWEET. Apple could do it on a MINUTE. I would pay a $1,000 - $1,300 premium of that. Now that I am dreaming, I would like to see a TABLET, with natural writing input like the NEWTON, that would include a BLUETOOTH keyboard. In fact, WHY IN THE HELL DOESN'T THE APPLE IPHONE SUPPORT THE APPLE BLUETOOTH KEYBOARD? And don't get me started in CUT & PASTE...

haha because then what could they possibly introduce in the next-gen iPhone as a "revolutionary new feature" :rolleyes:
As for tablet: doubt it. without LOTS, and I mean LOTS of R&D for a completely new way of interacting with computers, the process of communicating information to the computer is best left to "analog" (i.e. keyboard) methods, as the handwriting is, as of yet, pretty awkward.

koobcamuk
Nov 11, 2008, 02:37 AM
After Apple has been showing so much emphasis on profit margins and reducing the lineup - why on earth do people think they'll release a $400 OS X machine. A portable laptop is the MacBook air in Apple's eye. They obviously won't make a cheap "netbook" - cheap is exactly what jobs is against. The cheapest things could get would be like an iBook, i.e. the white MacBook.

P.S. Watching you guys comment on what Apple should make is like watching Homer Simpson design a car... and the company (Apple in this case) would follow a similar fate if you did...

kellen
Nov 11, 2008, 02:42 AM
Apple should come out with something like the netbook. The MBA is basically a thinner MB, they need something with a smaller footprint.

Plus with the economy I think a lower priced notebook would help with sales. However it doesn't seem like the time has came for apple to cannibalize sales of higher end computers by those buyers who stretch to meet their needs.

When the time comes sales are down, a cheaper notebook will probably appear. Good way to disguise a less expensive notebook as a netbook, then you won't be labeled as cheap.

chewy5000
Nov 11, 2008, 02:44 AM
Am I the only person that thinks its just a crappy PC with an apple-ish lid?

djellison
Nov 11, 2008, 02:47 AM
the :apple:TV would be more powerful! There is no way in hell would I buy a pile of junk like that "MacbookNano".

1) The Macbook Air is 'thin'. 'thin' is not small. 'thin' does not mean 5 or 6 hours of battery life. It's also disgustingly expensive.

2) The iPhone IS A FRICKIN PHONE. It's a pain in the ass to browse, it's not the full internet experience, it's impossible to type anything other than short messages - AND - an iPhone is more expensive that these fully featured laptops.

2) Have you used one? I have. I have one. A Samsung NC10 on which OSX is running. Is it a piece of junk that's slower than an Apple TV? No. It's fast. It loads safari faster than my MBP. Expose, Dashboard both work great. Mail works wonderfully. It's a great machine.

3) Does it feel cheap? A bit - not much - but then IT'S LESS THAN A QUARTER OF THE PRICE of a Macbook Air. It's not had bits falling off it like my old Macbook did. It's not got a palm-wrest that leaves ridges cut into your hands. It's not got a latch that doesn't work like my MBP. It's got a memory card reader. It's got three USB ports. It's seemingly in one piece rather than my MBP which has gaps between the aluminium parts. The screen is far far nicer to look at than any new Mac offering for me.

Let me dispell the myths. These things are not cheap toys. They're not gimmicks. They're not slow as hell. They are small, cheap laptops with damn good battery life and all the performance you could want for day to day browsing, email and word processing.

My desktop machine is a 3ghz quad core machine, 8gb of ram, and a Geforce 8800GT running of a WD Raptor system disk. I like power. But I think my little NC10 is just great - I love it.

Doug

illegallydead
Nov 11, 2008, 02:52 AM
Am I the only person that thinks its just a crappy PC with an apple-ish lid?

Am I the only one who thinks that you perfectly personify the holier-than-though-cuz-I-have-a-Mac stereotype that most people in the real world hate?

iam:Caine
Nov 11, 2008, 02:53 AM
The black one looks as if it were spray painted, and very badly. Especially in that first shot on the post, right next to the trackpad. Horrible.

chewy5000
Nov 11, 2008, 02:55 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that you perfectly personify the holier-than-though-cuz-I-have-a-Mac stereotype that most people in the real world hate?

hmmm I don't even have a mac

illegallydead
Nov 11, 2008, 02:56 AM
1) The Macbook Air is 'thin'. 'thin' is not small. 'thin' does not mean 5 or 6 hours of battery life. It's also disgustingly expensive.

2) The iPhone IS A FRICKIN PHONE. It's a pain in the ass to browse, it's not the full internet experience, it's impossible to type anything other than short messages - AND - an iPhone is more expensive that these fully featured laptops.

2) Have you used one? I have. I have one. A Samsung NC10 on which OSX is running. Is it a piece of junk that's slower than an Apple TV? No. It's fast. It loads safari faster than my MBP. Expose, Dashboard both work great. Mail works wonderfully. It's a great machine.

3) Does it feel cheap? A bit - not much - but then IT'S LESS THAN A QUARTER OF THE PRICE of a Macbook Air. It's not had bits falling off it like my old Macbook did. It's not got a palm-wrest that leaves ridges cut into your hands. It's not got a latch that doesn't work like my MBP. It's got a memory card reader. It's got three USB ports. It's seemingly in one piece rather than my MBP which has gaps between the aluminium parts. The screen is far far nicer to look at than any new Mac offering for me.

Let me dispell the myths. These things are not cheap toys. They're not gimmicks. They're not slow as hell. They are small, cheap laptops with damn good battery life and all the performance you could want for day to day browsing, email and word processing.

My desktop machine is a 3ghz quad core machine, 8gb of ram, and a Geforce 8800GT running of a WD Raptor system disk. I like power. But I think my little NC10 is just great - I love it.

Doug

Very well said my man. Amen to all points!

People seem to forget that a scant 3 years ago or so a 1-core 1.6GHz machine of any size was pretty ****** good? My my how people get spoiled.

For what it is aimed to do, anything over 2.0GHz is overkill, and just saps battery. I must say that you are a very good non-biased source on this discussion as you have both ends the "crappy" netbook and the speed demon. If you can say that the netbook is wonderful, I say props to you.

illegallydead
Nov 11, 2008, 02:57 AM
hmmm I don't even have a mac

lol touche! :D You got me there!

I digress then, as I seem to have mis-judged your dislike of these little PC's as typical fanboy arrogance. My apologies. :o

LillDrutten
Nov 11, 2008, 02:58 AM
Apple is waiting for the new ARM chip from PA Semi that will go into the macbook nano. Relax, it'll be out X-mas 2009.

UB is back. We get snow-leopard in January without UB. And in next X-mas we get it back? A netboot that cant run our application. Welll it's apple they have changed there architecture many times before so it's impossible...

Courtaj
Nov 11, 2008, 03:02 AM
Wow, that looks great.

+1

Rybold
Nov 11, 2008, 03:05 AM
Put me on the waiting list. I want one! :D

ryanwarsaw
Nov 11, 2008, 03:08 AM
Those are pretty hideous pics. Slow news day I guess.

kerpow
Nov 11, 2008, 03:47 AM
If these sort of netbooks were only available with sluggish Windows installations I could understand the news worthy angle of it. But almost all models come with a Linux option so whats the point of messing around with OSX. This isn't going to be your primary computer so don't tell me you need iTunes, iChat etc on it. And the screen isn't big enough for iPhoto or any other media application. They are designed for browsing, Linux is perfect for that.

I think, if anything, this is the reason Apple haven't entered this market. Linux makes a more formidable foe for Apple than Windows, on this platform at least.

JS77
Nov 11, 2008, 03:54 AM
There seems to be a lot of contradictions made here...

So ppl want a 10" "Netbook" with the full OSX Experience (because the apparently the MB is overpowered for this and the MBA still too "big") yet the majority who are crying out for an Apple Netbook say they "only" want to check emails, browse the net and "take notes" where needed... Ermm, so why would you then need the complete OSX Experience???

What's the point of APple giving you access to iLife, iMovie etc etc if you're never going to use it on an underpowered "Macbook Toy"? If you need a netbook so badly, I would say just get any one of the regular (Get ready for it) windows netbooks out there now. They're cheap (which is what you want), small (10" and under) and ideal for "just" browsing, emails and note taking. It just seems like all you're really want is the above, but with an Apple logo on the back... (now where did I see one of those?) ;)

The argument of price is completely silly too, becuase we all know Apple charges a premium for ALL of it's hardware products, so do you really think that IF Apple did release a netbook, that it would be "cheap"?

As you can probably tell, I have no need for a netbook, but that also makes it more obvious to me when statements on this subject just don't add up. In summary, my opinion is that Apple will never release a "standalone" netbook model, but will do a revision of the Macbook AIR in mid-2009 and offer it in 10" and 13" models.

You heard it hear first! ;)

bachlau
Nov 11, 2008, 04:22 AM
It is not a backlit logo. It is a Apple logo sticker.

LiveForever
Nov 11, 2008, 04:23 AM
It's just a small laptop.

Why the big deal??

Apple has made it perfectly clear It does not want to be a bottom feeder, fighting it out in the sludge for a few scraps of food.

Apple swims way above in a warm food laden sea pretty much by itself.

The latest unibody macbooks are a huge example. They machined it out of a single aluminium ingot. Its not a mass produced plastic injection moulding. They have gone back to almost bespoke production techniques.

They want to mainatin their brand image and push up their prices.

To go the way of the commodity market is to eventually loose your company.Gateway, Compaq and now even Dell can vouch for this.l

If they made a netbook it would be an expensive netbook that is for sure.

The Awesome
Nov 11, 2008, 04:30 AM

That's very quick of you to say.

I personally would like to know where to get one of those. Even with all the imperfections (I could notice the offset of the :apple: logo even from afar), I'd like to have a go at it. It's probably a lot better than my poor attempt at making a hackintosh *sigh*. With that 'Nano being cheap (and nasty, according to you) I could throw it away without a care. Portability and performance taken into account, the 'Nano (especially if Apple did make a real MBN) is superior to the Air.

It's a very good concept and I'm really, really tired of Apple being very cryptic or being very unreceptive.

And for those saying the Air will suffice - NO. It is extraordinarily slim, no doubt about it, but the Air is just as wide as a MacBook.

For those that think Steve will opt out because netbooks have low margins - Apple can always make a super premium ultraportable. Apple have made smaller-than-Air 'books in the past and have charged relatively high prices for them.

chewy5000
Nov 11, 2008, 04:53 AM
lol touche! :D You got me there!

I digress then, as I seem to have mis-judged your dislike of these little PC's as typical fanboy arrogance. My apologies. :o

No harm felt (at least anymore :D)

elmancho
Nov 11, 2008, 04:57 AM

So true! You have spoken the truth young obiwan.

kiwizoo
Nov 11, 2008, 05:21 AM
True. I've used macs for 20 years, seriously. I've never used a PC - at school, at work, or at home.

And it's only now that i'm staring to think that - as a brand at least - apple has attracted nerdy geeks, rather than aficionados.

I'd desperately LOVE a notebook size mac.

In our (albeit small) office, I run 3 iMacs, 2 MacBooks (so people can take work home), and we have an Airbook for presenting to clients. I love the Airbook - for presenting, but i STILL want something smaller. (That said, I was reliably informed that I could present my keynote presentations from my iPhone or iPod with an AV cable - is this true??)

So why all this resistance to a notebook sized mac? It would surely be smaller, lighter and lots more interesting than most of the 'notebooks' out there. I seriously think Apple is missing an opportunity here. WE WANT THIS Steve. Bring it on I say.

Apple was invented to lead markets and to make life easier - one area in which they're rapidly failing, I suspect, is when it comes to smaller, portable notebooks.

ccuk
Nov 11, 2008, 05:37 AM
I think these show real promise for a netbook sized Mac. They show that OSX scales well on lower specced components and parts and that it is totally feasible to have the mac experience we love in a form factor sized like the wind.

Now what baffles me somewhat are those saying what is the point to something this size, yet they scream they want a tablet mac. I don't get what the big fascination is with tablet laptops, I have used many windows variants and I cannot see how they would be useful for the masses in current technological terms even if you factor in Apples multi touch tech.

A low cost "netbook" laptop running OS X would be great for those who need to get full internet access daily, and need that experience of a full install of OSX... I also think there could be scope for these to be given out in every school, so every child has access to a laptop, and one which doesn't cause back problems.

Jackou
Nov 11, 2008, 05:38 AM
looks ugly

weckart
Nov 11, 2008, 06:02 AM
The black one looks as if it were spray painted, and very badly. Especially in that first shot on the post, right next to the trackpad. Horrible.

That is just the light reflecting on the fingerprints. The black Wind is a pawprint magnet. You would be enjoying the full Blackbook experience with one of those.

old-wiz
Nov 11, 2008, 06:04 AM
Yeah, like the Psystar court case... they should just (at least) sell a copy of OSX to PC machines... but the reason why Apple's not doing that is because there will be cheaper computers out there -- less people will purchase their hardware -- this is where Apple makes its cash from.

There's still the question of support. If Apple sold OSx to anyone at retail they would have to deal with so many different configurations. Right now, the OSx has to support a limited number of CPUs, motherboards, video, ethernet, etc. Tossing just any old hardware would be a nightmare for support. That's part of Microsoft's problem.

DHUK
Nov 11, 2008, 06:30 AM
I have an MSI Wind. Every time someone sees it, they always comment on it and want to have a go. I wanted a low cost quality notebook for surfing the 'net and picking up emails. It fits the bill perfectly.

All because it isn't made out of Aluminium, doesn't mean it's ugly. These are great little machines that offer something Apple can't - something affordable for doing day to day tasks like browsing and email. And yes, the spec of the machine is pretty amazing given the cost (1.6 GHz Atom, 1GB RAM, 10.1 LED backlit screen, 80GB HDD, built in WiFI, Bluetooth, Webcam, media card slot).

If Mr Jobs can't see this is a market to get into, I'm not sure if he's reading from the same page. Many of my friends this Christmas are purchasing these netbooks for their kids.

I've said this before, if Apple bought something out like this, I'd buy it in an instant.

knightlie
Nov 11, 2008, 06:41 AM
If these sort of netbooks were only available with sluggish Windows installations I could understand the news worthy angle of it. But almost all models come with a Linux option...

My Asus EeePC runs Windows considerably faster than the Linux installation I was wasting time with before (Ubuntu Eee, specifically designed for the device). And unlike Linux all the hardware features work properly. Linux is the biggest problem with these netbooks, and I'd welcome OSX on such a machine.

...so whats the point of messing around with OSX. This isn't going to be your primary computer so don't tell me you need iTunes, iChat etc on it. And the screen isn't big enough for iPhoto or any other media application. They are designed for browsing, Linux is perfect for that.

See above. Linux was too slow and unreliable for me - much as I hate XP it transformed the machine, and OSX would transform it even further. And how do you know no-one needs iTunes? I'll be installing iTunes on mine, so I can access my music library from it.

Just because you don't need it doesn't mean no-one else does.

I think, if anything, this is the reason Apple haven't entered this market. Linux makes a more formidable foe for Apple than Windows, on this platform at least.

Lol. Yeah, I just love fiddling around in arcane text files trying to get the sound card working. Linux is the future(tm).

Ade-iMac-177
Nov 11, 2008, 06:41 AM
Obviously the details aren't there but the form factor is AWESOME.

Thickness of MBA + Form factor of this computer + aluminum chicklet backlit keys = Perfect Satellite

no it wouldn't - the 'nano' isn't wide enough to house a chicklet keyboard - the only small form-factor computer from apple while steve jobs is there will be the air

sterlingindigo
Nov 11, 2008, 06:58 AM
Nice mod's/mock's people. Now, show us that 9" Macbook Air Nano, Apple.:D

AidenShaw
Nov 11, 2008, 07:13 AM
or better yet - 16GB or 32GB Flash (with USB for extra storage if needed)

The eeePC and the Wind have an SDHC slot as well - you can add 32 GB "internal".

UB is back. We get snow-leopard in January without UB. And in next X-mas we get it back? A netboot that cant run our application. Welll it's apple they have changed there architecture many times before so it's impossible...

This is why you won't see ARM. If it doesn't run x86 OSX, it might as well be a closed Linux appliance.

I'm surprised at how it handles OSX smoothly, meanwhile if you run Vista on that spec it will probably lag like... er... Vista.

Two things - one is that Windows 7 has had a lot of work to run on netbooks, I've installed it on my eeePC. Don't focus on "Vista is a dog" - before too long Windows 7 will erase that issue.

Also, note this review on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152066

Pros: Installed Vista and it's working great. I've been using this thing daily and it's holding up great. It's fantastic in the book bag, works great for presentations and I watch DVD's on it regularly (external drive). Runs very cool. With the exception of some scratches and glossing on the touchpad, it looks and works just like it did out of the box.

Cons: Touchpad is still a pain in the rear. It works better in Vista,...

Other Thoughts: Vista installation was smooth and virtually everything worked on initial install. Downloaded and installed all of the latest drivers from MSI just to make sure bases are covered. I run with a 2Gb sd card with readyboost enabled for the entire 2 gigs. Speedy as can be. I generally just close the lid to put it to sleep and hit the power button to wake it back up - screen is up in a couple seconds. I wouldn't even dream of trying Vista without readyboost, though, turns into one slow dog. I'm quite happy with the machine and if it weren't for the funky touchpad behavior, I'd give it 5 eggs.

So, it looks like Vista is helped by a $20 high speed SD card for memory expansion.

econoline06
Nov 11, 2008, 07:15 AM

What? "wake up"? Dude, we are talking about 2 people here. Is that the basis for this logic? Pretty faulty. Obviously the mass market doesn't want those things otherwise they would offer them. It is pretty simple, marketing 101. Right now for some reason, it would cost Apple more to do these things than they would get returns on. Just because a group of people at MacRumors whines about matte screens and netbooks doesn't mean it is worth it.

econoline06
Nov 11, 2008, 07:17 AM
I have an MSI Wind. Every time someone sees it, they always comment on it and want to have a go. I wanted a low cost quality notebook for surfing the 'net and picking up emails. It fits the bill perfectly.

All because it isn't made out of Aluminium, doesn't mean it's ugly. These are great little machines that offer something Apple can't - something affordable for doing day to day tasks like browsing and email. And yes, the spec of the machine is pretty amazing given the cost (1.6 GHz Atom, 1GB RAM, 10.1 LED backlit screen, 80GB HDD, built in WiFI, Bluetooth, Webcam, media card slot).

If Mr Jobs can't see this is a market to get into, I'm not sure if he's reading from the same page. Many of my friends this Christmas are purchasing these netbooks for their kids.

I've said this before, if Apple bought something out like this, I'd buy it in an instant.

Obviously you two aren't reading from the same page as you put it. He is a millionaire, you are not.

econoline06
Nov 11, 2008, 07:21 AM
There's still the question of support. If Apple sold OSx to anyone at retail they would have to deal with so many different configurations. Right now, the OSx has to support a limited number of CPUs, motherboards, video, ethernet, etc. Tossing just any old hardware would be a nightmare for support. That's part of Microsoft's problem.

You know, lets set the record straight here. PC's like Dell's are NOT more "open" than an Apple computer. They still have a certain list of manufacturers they use and bundle the software/hardware together. They are just as proprietary as Apple computers when you get right down to it, that goes for ANY PC manufacturer save for building this stuff yourself. So, true it is PART of Microsoft's problem, but not the whole story.

TraceyS/FL
Nov 11, 2008, 07:21 AM
Well, i still need on by 2/2.

Give me something for under $500 on the educational side and i'll be a happy camper!

I'm not putting money into a 5 year old iBook that is slowly dying - and i need to replace it with something soonish. A smaller machine, with a smaller price point to get the child thru till graduation would be great.

I don't want to go with a Hackintosh - but i've never been so tempted as i am right now (got more interested in it when i got my prop tax bill yesterday too).

CaryMacGuy
Nov 11, 2008, 07:43 AM

Lets not forget portable video (Video iPods, iPhone which by the way has the best portable video experience out there)

Hattig
Nov 11, 2008, 07:44 AM
Negative - Stupid story for front page. Wow, someone modded a third party laptop to be entirely unlike what Apple would make if they made something!

Evangelion
Nov 11, 2008, 07:48 AM
It's just a small laptop.

Why the big deal??

And iPhone is just a phone....

Apple has made it perfectly clear It does not want to be a bottom feeder, fighting it out in the sludge for a few scraps of food.

Apple is already selling products that cost way less than 100 bucks.

It all boils down to will Apple sell crappy, cheap products or not. Is $400 netbook a "crappy, cheap product"? Not necessarily. It costs more than iPod does for example, are iPods "crappy and cheap"?. It all boils down to what you compare it to.

Sure, compared to something like a MacBook or air, a $400 netbook might be "cheap" (it could be a bit more costlier than 400 bukcs, since we are talking about Apple-product here). But it's not really a similar product. Netbooks target a different market. You need to compare the price and specs to it's competitors in that market.

To go the way of the commodity market is to eventually loose your company.Gateway, Compaq and now even Dell can vouch for this.l

How do you define what is "commodity" and what is not? I mean, Apple is happy selling loads of iPod shuffles. And all iPods are cheaper than these netbooks are.

By your logic Apple should only sell Mac Pro's and Xserves, since those are the most expensive machines in their lineup. But things don't really work that way.

If they made a netbook it would be an expensive netbook that is for sure.

It would probably cost more than most other netbooks cost, sure. But it would also be better.

Evangelion
Nov 11, 2008, 07:52 AM
What? "wake up"? Dude, we are talking about 2 people here. Is that the basis for this logic? Pretty faulty. Obviously the mass market doesn't want those things otherwise they would offer them.

Netbooks are a big (not as big as regular laptops, though) and growing market. And of course people are not buying Apple-netbooks at this moment, because Apple does not offer them. Hell, few years ago you could just as well have said "people don't want a phone from Apple. If they did, Apple would offer one. Since they aren't offering one, people don't obviously want one".

It is pretty simple, marketing 101.

Which you obviously flunked.

Evangelion
Nov 11, 2008, 07:55 AM
Lol. Yeah, I just love fiddling around in arcane text files trying to get the sound card working. Linux is the future(tm).

Last time I had to "fiddle with arcane text-files" in Linux was back in.... 2003 or so. Sure, I COULD do just that if I wanted to. But I don't, so I won't. It's not like I'm missing out on anything.

Nov 11, 2008, 08:02 AM

So ppl want a 10" "Netbook" with the full OSX Experience (because the apparently the MB is overpowered for this and the MBA still too "big") yet the majority who are crying out for an Apple Netbook say they "only" want to check emails, browse the net and "take notes" where needed... Ermm, so why would you then need the complete OSX Experience???

What's the point of APple giving you access to iLife, iMovie etc etc if you're never going to use it on an underpowered "Macbook Toy"? If you need a netbook so badly, I would say just get any one of the regular (Get ready for it) windows netbooks out there now. They're cheap (which is what you want), small (10" and under) and ideal for "just" browsing, emails and note taking. It just seems like all you're really want is the above, but with an Apple logo on the back... (now where did I see one of those?) ;)

The argument of price is completely silly too, becuase we all know Apple charges a premium for ALL of it's hardware products, so do you really think that IF Apple did release a netbook, that it would be "cheap"?

As you can probably tell, I have no need for a netbook, but that also makes it more obvious to me when statements on this subject just don't add up. In summary, my opinion is that Apple will never release a "standalone" netbook model, but will do a revision of the Macbook AIR in mid-2009 and offer it in 10" and 13" models.

You heard it hear first! ;)

Descent post. But as for me... I would want a netbook for weekend/weeklong trips be it vacation or business:

1. ilife - so I can plug in my camera to easily extract all the pictures, maybe also whip up a quick video while I am sitting in a hotel using imovie (or imovie HD 6 if I needed something more advanced), or maybe even work on my website a little more.

2. iwork - this is already a "lite" product and would be useful for working on documents while at the hotel (how often do you need to change something on the fly).

3. OS X - so I can have the built in preview for docs/PDF's and the built in print to PDF. and all the other features of OS X.

4. Circus Ponies Notebook.

5. then the other stuff people want one for (checking emails, internet, etc).

That would pretty much cover my on-the-road needs.

I have a macbook now, but something a little smaller like a netbook size, and something a little thinner (does not have to be a thin as the air). for on the road stuff, a 80 gb hard drive 1gb memory, combo drive or drive would be fine.

I mean if Gigabyte and Kohjinsha can give us a reasonable priced netbook tablet (and note the Kohjinsha has a DVD drive), why not :apple:.

http://www.dynamism.com/#Product=gigabyte_m912 $799

http://www.dynamism.com/#Product=kohjinsha_sx $1299

Ok, now I described my perfect netbook machine. then I would not have to lug aroung my huge laptop bag plus luggage, plus one carry on. My laptop camera could then easily slide into my carry on. Or have a larger laptop bag/packpack that doubles as a carry-on.

trying to store it in the overhead bins or under the seat during takeoff/naps would be eaiser too. As it stands now, some planes are so small you have to check your carry on or give it off at the ramp to be storeed underneath and they hand it back to you when existing the plane - especially if you have a laptop bag that sometimes counts as a carry on (depends on airline and how booked the flight is).

kironin
Nov 11, 2008, 08:07 AM
Jobs
"some pretty interesting ideas" == expensive.

Foxglove9
Nov 11, 2008, 08:09 AM
If Apple were to release that and keep it competitively priced I would definitely buy it. I love netbooks, small and easy to carry around, and the technology is getting better very quickly.

OS X runs pretty well on the Atom processor too.

hihater
Nov 11, 2008, 08:10 AM
Apple shouldn't introduce a netbook, it will cheaper their brand.

CaryMacGuy
Nov 11, 2008, 08:13 AM
Can I be so bold as to say that Apple missed the mark on the Macbook Air. As near as I can tell, the Air is aimed to be a companion product to the Mac or PC that one already has. It isn't meant to be a standalone product (someone's only computer). However, they are pricing it more than most standalone notebooks will all the bells and whistles. Maybe what Apple needs to do is reduce the product to a 10" screen and sell for $499-$599.

Also to note, Mac OS X 10.6 (which from what I understand will have a smaller footprint) might be part of a grand plan to bring to market such a device. I can imagine a netbook 10" with the form factor of a Macbook Air and it just seems like a killer device.

Only time will tell.

BrianFD3S
Nov 11, 2008, 08:17 AM
Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonK800i/R1KG Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I found my PowerBook 100 in the cupboard at the weekend..it's about Netbook size. Pity I couldn't get it to turn on..

DogcowUK
Nov 11, 2008, 08:23 AM
I have a MSI Wind clone (Advent 4211) running OS X, runs it perfectly except for the normal hacintosh bugs such as forgetting about the battery kext etc. Of course it feels every bit like a £279 laptop, the case creeks, the keyboard isn't great, the webcam is off centre in it little hole and the internals are squeezed into the case to the point where it's hard to close it after you take it apart.

Still I don't worry about scratching it, it has 3 USB ports, ethernet and my wallet is heavier, hence why I don't miss my Air too much :rolleyes:

lftrghtparadigm
Nov 11, 2008, 08:26 AM
A netbook would be great.

Of course, it won't happen, because Steve prefers to get $1000 out of someone for an Apple notebook computer, when all they need is a $300 netbook.

Yup, thats the bottom line. What Steve should have said in that recent Q&A is, "We are not interested in selling OSX on a full machine for less than US$800. Period."

A "Nascent" netbook market is a flat out lie, and a joke. What he means is there is nascent market for smaller, less functional products, that are MORE expensive than they should be. The one person in this thread who said they'd pay a "premium" for such a thing is an example of that irrational and normal-opposite consumer who is part of the "nascent" market.

Apple won't create a lighter, smaller, sub-notebook unless they charge a ridiculous premium for it.......OH WAIT, they already do and its called the MacBook Air.........

Same concept applies to all future notebook possibilities. You won't see a $300,400,500, or even 6 or 700 dollar MacMiniBook anytime in the near future. It would set a precedent that could never be reversed. It would also destroy MacBook sales. It would be absolutely lethal to the MacBook. Pro would be unaffected, but the standard MacBook would TANK, whereas right now the MacBook is the best buy in the store.

This discussion wouldn't persist so much if geeks knew anything about marketing.

Jpoon
Nov 11, 2008, 08:31 AM
Other people have modded the wind.
http://www.shareinthejoy.com/hackintosh1.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL175/7414394/20598683/336907904.jpg

All kinds of pics
http://forums.msiwind.net/post44132.html

Thank you, I was having trouble providing links for that. Mac Rumors is behind the times on this story.

The Tall One
Nov 11, 2008, 08:31 AM
Does anyone remember the Duo? I had a Duo 2300c which was a sub notebook. Meaning, it had no inputs, no disk drive (this was before cd drives) and no nothing else. The only inputs it had was a dock connector and a modem port. IT WAS USELESS without the other half of the Duo.

BBCWatcher
Nov 11, 2008, 08:41 AM
The rise of the netbooks is going to put pressure on Apple, particularly with increasing disruption in the economy.

I think from a software point of view Apple really does not want to use the current Intel Atom CPUs which do not support 64-bit instructions. Introducing a 32-bit only system would be sliding backwards to circa 2006. There is an Atom 330 dual core 64-bit CPU with an 8W TDP, but it is intended for desktops. If it's possible to put that CPU into a netbook, it would be a good choice. Otherwise Apple would have to wait until 2H2009 for the next batch of Atoms. Or get a special 64-bit Intel Atom early.

I tend to think there's room for Apple in this market, and they could dominate it. For example, they could introduce a MacBook with an 11 inch LED backlit display (probably 1366x768 resolution), conventional 2.5 inch hard disk, 2 USB ports but no built-in ethernet, no built-in optical drive, a display port, audio in and out jacks, aluminum unibody, a slight tweaking of the keyboard, 1 GB soldered to the motherboard plus one SO-DIMM slot (maximum 5 GB total), Mac OS X with iLife "Light" (dropping some of the more CPU-greedy iLife apps), and wireless and price it at $699 (for a 120 or 160 GB hard disk model). Weight would be just a shade under 3 lbs. They'd sell millions of them.

Bubba Satori
Nov 11, 2008, 08:42 AM

Let me guess. They are nasty because Apple refuses to sell them. :rolleyes: We can't keep them in stock in my store. Customers love them. They do exactly what they need.

AidenShaw
Nov 11, 2008, 08:42 AM
You know, lets set the record straight here. PC's like Dell's are NOT more "open" than an Apple computer.

Wow - my "nonsense meter" just pegged.

They still have a certain list of manufacturers they use and bundle the software/hardware together. They are just as proprietary as Apple computers when you get right down to it...

The difference, however, is that while Dell may only do build-to-order from a small list of parts - you can open the box up and replace those parts quite easily. And, except for the disk controllers that have the boot disk, pretty much any aftermarket card or device will work fine. (The BIOS/UEFI have to understand the disk controller to boot the system far enough so that the real disk driver can be loaded. For an exotic disk like a Fibre Channel or iSCSI HBA, a consumer PC is unlikely to boot correctly.)

"Proprietary" doesn't just mean that the build-to-order options are a subset of the known universe.

FOr example, I bought my sister a $600 quad-core 2.4GHz 3 GiB HP mini-tower a year or so ago.

It had integrated graphics, so first thing was to disable that and install a $129 512MiB Nvidia GeForce in the x16 PCIe slot.

Now tell me any system from Apple where you could do that?

killmoms
Nov 11, 2008, 08:44 AM
I tend to think there's room for Apple in this market, and they could dominate it. For example, they could introduce a MacBook with an 11 inch LED backlit display (probably 1366x768 resolution), conventional 2.5 inch hard disk, 2 USB ports but no built-in ethernet, no built-in optical drive, a display port, audio in and out jacks, aluminum unibody, a slight tweaking of the keyboard, 1 GB soldered to the motherboard plus one SO-DIMM slot (maximum 5 GB total), Mac OS X with iLife "Light" (dropping some of the more CPU-greedy iLife apps), and wireless and price it at $699 (for a 120 or 160 GB hard disk model). Weight would be just a shade under 3 lbs. They'd sell millions of them.

I love reading people's dreams. :rolleyes:

bigdaddyp
Nov 11, 2008, 09:01 AM
I am waiting on my Dell Mini9 to be delivered today. If you go to http://mydellmini.com and go into the forums and go down to osx you will find a complete tutorial on how to install os x.
The size is exactly what I wanted and its supposed to be a solid little unit. After I test it out I plan on installing os x on it. I will be buying a macbook pro in the future but the size of this is perfect for me when traveling and at 450 bucks if its lost or damaged its not such a big deal. If it works well the kids will be getting one as well. If apple sold one I would buy it since they don't....meh.
It just killed me though to order something that has "DELL" on it. :p

QCassidy352
Nov 11, 2008, 09:03 AM
Ug-ly! :p

But this particular little gremlin aside, I just don't get the whole "netbook" idea. A iphone/ipod touch/blackberry/etc. is something I can put in my pocket and use for pretty decent surfing and other functionality (since the birth of the app store, I often find myself thinking of my iphone as my primary computer).

The beauty of the iphone (and similar) is that it's so small that it fits in a pocket, and taking it places is simply automatic. If I'm going to go to the trouble of packing and carrying something more than what fits in a pocket, I'll take a macbook or air and have a full-featured computer with a decent screen.

For me, the extra weight means essentially nothing - what matters is whether I'm carrying an extra bag. With either a macbook or a netbook, the answer is "yes," so at that point, I'd rather have the power and functionality of the macbook.

Nov 11, 2008, 09:15 AM
Can I be so bold as to say that Apple missed the mark on the Macbook Air.

Yes and no. Thin to place in a port folio, yet full sized. One thing I hear about netbook complaints is the cramped keyboard. so some say it missed the mark, others say it is perfect.

As near as I can tell, the Air is aimed to be a companion product to the Mac or PC that one already has. It isn't meant to be a standalone product (someone's only computer). However, they are pricing it more than most standalone notebooks will all the bells and whistles. Maybe what Apple needs to do is reduce the product to a 10" screen and sell for $499-$599.

You have a point, but... It pretty much had the same specs (CPU, memory wise) as the Dell XPS M1210 I had (12.2 screen). so if you do not need all the USB ports, just adding in the external hard drive, and it could function as someone's only computer - a little less powerful and more expensive; but it could.

Also to note, Mac OS X 10.6 (which from what I understand will have a smaller footprint) might be part of a grand plan to bring to market such a device. I can imagine a netbook 10" with the form factor of a Macbook Air and it just seems like a killer device.

Only time will tell.

would be cool. see my last post on my perfect netbook machine. think we are discussing the same thoughts. Of course my ultimate perfect one would include the tablet feature like the gigabyte and Kojinsha (man I can never spell it right).

rumplestiltskin
Nov 11, 2008, 09:16 AM
I have the Wind and have installed OSX on it. I haven't read about the fix to the mic/headphones ports but, if true, that's great. The WiFi is now by Ralink and really sucks (bad driver software). I swapped that out for a Dell 1490 card that uses the Realtek driver (which works fine). The trackpad was a Synaptics but MSI is now using a Sentelic pad for which there is no software so there's a permanent "tap-to-click" enabled and no scrolling.

Still, it's a sweet unit, well-priced and, with my glasses (*grin* - it's only a 10" screen!), it runs my OSX apps quite nicely.

Nov 11, 2008, 09:31 AM
One think that would be pretty interesting.... Apple knows that the laptop market is huge. They shrunk the offering with the latest models (I can see why, they only had slight differences between them). they kept around the white plastic because they know how people feel about rev A, and they also know people wanted a little less pricey a machine.

I wonder?

1. netbook at macworld and white MB eliminated next year $500-700? - not getting my hopes up, but it seems like this was a step to almost make that happen and increase christmas sales and drive down the existing stock of all the whites. Everyone knows black was not selling well. Even I opted for a while and beefed the harddrive and memory.

2. Macbook - for normal laptop usage (for those who want a laptop as only computer). they already set the price

3. MBP - for those who want a real beefy laptop. I could see the 17-inch being eliminated since the trend to to smaller machines (I just hooked up a 19-inch monitor to my mackbook for when I need a larger screen).

4. Air? - Well it has its place for people who want thin and light, but prefer a larger screen and keyboard.

As far as netbook cannibalizing macbook sales. Not necessarily per say. I think with these 4 offerings, Apple would totally pick up the market and turn more away from PC's.

as for a tablet or net tablet like a Gigabyte and Kojinsha, one can only dream...

ChrisA
Nov 11, 2008, 09:32 AM
I made myself one of these.

It's a great little machine. Same size as a hardback book.

But I don't think Apple will make one. It's similar in specification to the Air, and costs about 1/4 of the price.

C.

I was just about to post these exact words. Why would Apple want to sell this. Yes I'm sure Apple knows they'd sell millions of them but for exevy one sold they'd NOT sell a more expensive Mac so in effect Apple would loose money on every "netbook".

So Apple actually makes more money by telling their customers "Buy the Linux based computer."

Spades
Nov 11, 2008, 09:42 AM
Yes I'm sure Apple knows they'd sell millions of them but for exevy one sold they'd NOT sell a more expensive Mac so in effect Apple would loose money on every "netbook".

Uh, that's only if every lost netbook sale means a gained Air sale. That's not likely to be the case.

Let's say you had two options for products to sell. One has half the profit per unit that the other does, but the one that sells for half the profit will sell more than twice as many units. In that case, you'll get more profit out of the product that makes half the profit per unit.

Netbooks will sell more than Airs. Netbooks will cannibalize the Air market but there are also people that would buy a netbook that would never consider the air. But nobody knows if the extra netbook sales would balance out decreased profits per unit, and only Apple can make a guess.

And you never make money by telling people to buy somebody else's product...

sangosimo
Nov 11, 2008, 09:45 AM
looks pretty cool to me.

kingtj
Nov 11, 2008, 09:59 AM
This just further illustrates the point I've been trying to make all along about these little "netbooks". They're toys for computer enthusiasts and hobbyists, primarily. They're not really that practical as full-fledged computer solutions for most people.

When you sell a little, tiny notebook for around $300, people who enjoy tinkering and hacking are going to swarm all over it. They did with Tivo boxes. They did with most of the vintage Macs, as soon as they dropped in price enough to justify messing around with them. They did with the short-lived "I-Opener" terminal from Netpliance. And the list goes on....

I think once the novelty factor of them wears off, sales will slow back down. Apple is probably thinking the same thing, wanting to wait before diving into a niche market that has a good chance of drying up quickly.

Owning both an eeePC 701 and an Apple iPhone, I can tell you right now which one I'm getting the most practical use out of for anything related to "mobile computing" and "Internet access". Hint, it's NOT the eeePC.

A single core 1.6Ghz Atom running OSX would make the 1.5Ghz CoreSolo Mini feel like a MacPro in performance, the :apple:TV would be more powerful! There is no way in hell would I buy a pile of junk like that "MacbookNano".

bplein
Nov 11, 2008, 10:03 AM
I'm surprised that people aren't complaining about Firewire. I mean, come on guys, the complainers here complain about the MB Air lack of firewire, and the new MB lack of firewire. But people point to this as if it's the next big thing.

yawn.

;)

Alchematron
Nov 11, 2008, 10:04 AM
Steve

Just crank out a 10" Air

With Matte Screen, Silver Keys, Internal 3G Antenna

And I will be happy

Thank you :D

kingtj
Nov 11, 2008, 10:07 AM
The thing is, you actually *can* do such a thing with any Mac Pro system right now. Only issue is, most video cards either only work when booted into Windows via "Boot Camp", or don't show a display at all when plugged in, simply because the firmware and software support isn't there for them.

If all the regular Windows PCs out there went to "open firmware" as the standard, instead of hanging onto the outdated "BIOS" concept they've been patching and patching since the early 1980's - any video card you bought would at least run fine in Windows on a Mac Pro right now.

"Proprietary" doesn't just mean that the build-to-order options are a subset of the known universe.

FOr example, I bought my sister a $600 quad-core 2.4GHz 3 GiB HP mini-tower a year or so ago.

It had integrated graphics, so first thing was to disable that and install a $129 512MiB Nvidia GeForce in the x16 PCIe slot.

Simplicated
Nov 11, 2008, 10:10 AM
I don't know if someone have posted this, if it is doubled, sorry

I want to point out that the Apple icon (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mickpro/3012197119/in/set-72157608560230667/) does not glow (i.e. not backlit). It is just the reflection from the flash of the camera making it look like a backlit icon. The second comment, from the image's author, says that.

weckart
Nov 11, 2008, 10:12 AM
I think from a software point of view Apple really does not want to use the current Intel Atom CPUs which do not support 64-bit instructions. Introducing a 32-bit only system would be sliding backwards to circa 2006. There is an Atom 330 dual core 64-bit CPU with an 8W TDP, but it is intended for desktops. If it's possible to put that CPU into a netbook, it would be a good choice. Otherwise Apple would have to wait until 2H2009 for the next batch of Atoms. Or get a special 64-bit Intel Atom early.

The problem is not the 8W draw of the Atom 330, it is the inefficiency of the Intel 945 controller chip it is saddled with. The anticipated Poulsbo is too feeble for a netbook and so we wait for further developments. Perhaps nVidia may come up with something.

W

I have a Dell with the same CPU. A good one, since it is the G0 stepping, which has a great overclocking potential. I say potential because Dell in its wisdom has decided to butcher the BIOS and disable a lot of the standard options including voltage and FSB changes. No overclocking for me then. Fine, I understand Dell's rationale. It does not want to deal with returns and repairs from overenthusiastic yet reckless customers who end up frying their motherboards. Yet, it is undisputably a proprietary BIOS, unique to Dell.

I don't know if someone have posted this, if it is doubled, sorry

I want to point out that the Apple icon (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mickpro/3012197119/in/set-72157608560230667/) does not glow (i.e. not backlit). It is just the reflection from the flash of the camera making it look like a backlit icon. The second comment, from the image's author, says that.

I think the first Macbook Nano mod I saw was from someone who had actually taken a modeling saw to his Wind lid and cut out the Apple. He used a bunch of LEDs to illuminate the Apple logo in classic fashion. Not as neat as using the screen backlighting, but apparently the way the Wind was put together made that a particularly difficult mod to attempt.

AidenShaw
Nov 11, 2008, 10:49 AM
The thing is, you actually *can* do such a thing with any Mac Pro system right now. Only issue is, most video cards either only work when booted into Windows via "Boot Camp", or don't show a display at all when plugged in, simply because the firmware and software support isn't there for them.

Thanks for proving my point, and showing that I should have said "Apple system running OSX" in my post ;).

If all the regular Windows PCs out there went to "open firmware" as the standard...

Or, if Apple would take the time to fix her BIOS in boot camp to match the real world, the cards would work. Instead, she only supports the short list of CTO devices (and ones similar enough to work well enough to get the OS drivers loaded).

I say potential because Dell in its wisdom has decided to butcher the BIOS and disable a lot of the standard options including voltage and FSB changes. No overclocking for me then.

Fine, I understand Dell's rationale. It does not want to deal with returns and repairs from overenthusiastic yet reckless customers who end up frying their motherboards. Yet, it is undisputably a proprietary BIOS, unique to Dell.

I'd hardly consider the overclocking settings in the BIOS to be "standard". You find them on upper range enthusiasts' boards, but the vast majority of systems sold do not allow the user the option of "frying" the system.

Every BIOS is "proprietary" in that it is matched to the motherboard. Nobody says "I think that I'll load this Phoenix BIOS from this Asus into my Dell instead of the AMI BIOS that it has."

It's called "firmware" exactly because it is not general purpose interchangeable software.

I can't quite accept the claim that any device is "proprietary" because it has to have matching firmware.

farmboy
Nov 11, 2008, 10:53 AM
After Apple has been showing so much emphasis on profit margins and reducing the lineup - why on earth do people think they'll release a $400 OS X machine. A portable laptop is the MacBook air in Apple's eye. They obviously won't make a cheap "netbook" - cheap is exactly what jobs is against. The cheapest things could get would be like an iBook, i.e. the white MacBook.

P.S. Watching you guys comment on what Apple should make is like watching Homer Simpson design a car... and the company (Apple in this case) would follow a similar fate if you did...

Exactly.

CaryMacGuy
Nov 11, 2008, 11:02 AM

But does it easily run Mac OS X?

SpinThis!
Nov 11, 2008, 11:13 AM
There might be another reason why Apple doesn't want to go the cheap route... environmental.

When you spend $300 on a laptop you don't care as much so you end up beating the crap out of it. Then it eventually ends up in the landfill sooner than necessary. And those $300 laptops aren't exactly made to Apple's new environmental standards and are manufactured with all kinds of hazardous and cheap junk.

One of Apple's best strengths imo is selling stuff that lasts longer than your average PC—at least its useable life is. (I'm typing this on a 5+ year old MDD G4.) Ever since the Intel transition, imo Apple's quality has dwindled a bit but is still better than most PC makers.

And before anyone poo-poos this, go watch last week's 60 minutes special on companies shipping e-waste illegally out east. It's really tragic.

madmaxmedia
Nov 11, 2008, 11:21 AM

Instead of designing and releasing a $300 netbook, Apple could design a $300 netbook and sell it for $600. It would sell in droves, expand Apple's overall market share, and maintain their profit margin. Especially in a time when $1300 notebook computers are going to increasingly be viewed as an unaffordable luxury.

How has Apple been showing 'so much' emphasis on reducing the lineup? As their market share grows, it is inevitable that they will gradually expand their product lineup.

I'm not saying they will or won't, but there is a credible market here if Apple chooses to target it.

madmaxmedia
Nov 11, 2008, 11:23 AM
There might be another reason why Apple doesn't want to go the cheap route... environmental.

When you spend $300 on a laptop you don't care as much so you end up beating the crap out of it. Then it eventually ends up in the landfill sooner than necessary. And those $300 laptops aren't exactly made to Apple's new environmental standards and are manufactured with all kinds of hazardous and cheap junk.

One of Apple's best strengths imo is selling stuff that lasts longer than your average PC—at least its useable life is. (I'm typing this on a 5+ year old MDD G4.) Ever since the Intel transition, imo Apple's quality has dwindled a bit but is still better than most PC makers.

And before anyone poo-poos this, go watch last week's 60 minutes special on companies shipping e-waste illegally out east. It's really tragic.

Are you kidding? People buy cases for iPod Shuffles. ;)

People care about Apple stuff because of industrial design, not because of the cost. Apple could introduce a 'premium netbook' that runs OS X pretty well and people would take care of them.

madmaxmedia
Nov 11, 2008, 11:26 AM
I have a MSI Wind clone (Advent 4211) running OS X, runs it perfectly except for the normal hacintosh bugs such as forgetting about the battery kext etc. Of course it feels every bit like a £279 laptop, the case creeks, the keyboard isn't great, the webcam is off centre in it little hole and the internals are squeezed into the case to the point where it's hard to close it after you take it apart.

Still I don't worry about scratching it, it has 3 USB ports, ethernet and my wallet is heavier, hence why I don't miss my Air too much :rolleyes:

These units are built with lowest-possible cost parts to meet the lowest possible price point, a race to the bottom.

Apple could take that basic MSI (in terms of CPU and basic specs), spend an extra $50 to dramatically boost the external design, and mark it up to $500 or $600 and sell a ton. They could still get a decent margin on these units, and sell enough units to offset the lower price-per-unit.

This could actually be the best switcher machine. Many people seem to buy netbooks to complement their existing desktops or even notebooks. It's a peripheral machine, so why not give a Mac a try then?

Once someone tries a Mac netbook and likes it, there's a good chance of getting an iMac or MacBook sale down the road...

iLoveMyApple
Nov 11, 2008, 11:33 AM
Love the Idea. HATE the look. :confused:

minik
Nov 11, 2008, 11:37 AM
I don't see how normal people can work on these things.

Mac OS X or normal Windows XP just don't look right on a tiny screen. Even it's cheap, I want something more practical.

macfearless
Nov 11, 2008, 11:47 AM
what i love is when the people that get upset are all like "oh come on, apple would never make a keyboard like that" or "oh apple, doesn't use backspace" congratulations, you're just smart enough to realize it's blatantly fake. however, you're just shy of being smart enough not to wig about it.:rolleyes::p

iSamurai
Nov 11, 2008, 12:18 PM
aww. It's so wonderful to have this topic posted on the front page of Mac Rumours and Gizmondo :):):)

Besides that, I just thought (while in the middle of writing my exam this morning):

You know that Apple's been sporting the chiclet keyboards (the keys that look like independent flat squares) recently. So, how are they going to make that for the smaller version? The keys would be packed, just like a conventional laptop. Although there's similar closer-packed keys like the Voodoo 133... I really hope that they won't do make any virtual keyboard onscreen... sometimes tried-and-trusted is better. :p

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/4418/916882577484e606qo4.jpg

burningbright
Nov 11, 2008, 12:19 PM
I like the idea- perfect size for a back-of-trainseat table, and could hook it up to a desktop monitor when I get home or to the office. Providing the next generation could run Snow Leopard (even if it doesn't get any extra benefit from it- it's a case of future-proofing), and ideally iLife 09, then I don't see what more I'd need! Apple might not like hacintoshes but as long as I'm buying a legit copy of OSX for merely personal use I don't see what moral leg Apple has to stand on...

AidenShaw
Nov 11, 2008, 12:41 PM
But does it easily run Mac OS X?

Tangent - the discussion was about a claim that Dell was just as proprietary as Apple, not the merits of operating systems.

AidenShaw
Nov 11, 2008, 12:42 PM
Even it's cheap, I want something more practical.

You have the option to buy a large Apple laptop. Nobody will force you to buy a netbook if a larger system is right for your needs.

If, however, you wanted a small Apple laptop - you don't have that choice. If you want a small Apple, you're forced to choose between a large Apple or a netbook from another company.

donlphi
Nov 11, 2008, 12:44 PM
Steve Jobs has said that they are not yet interested in the low cost netbook category but did hint that Apple had "some pretty interesting ideas" about it.

Unfortunately, none of these look "interesting". A group of 3rd graders could come up with something more unique than these lame mock-ups. :D

miketcool
Nov 11, 2008, 12:44 PM
I'm surprised that people aren't complaining about Firewire. I mean, come on guys, the complainers here complain about the MB Air lack of firewire, and the new MB lack of firewire. But people point to this as if it's the next big thing.

yawn.

;)

That would require actual reading versus fulfilling a geeky wet dream...

BigD58
Nov 11, 2008, 12:50 PM

I agree.

weckart
Nov 11, 2008, 12:56 PM
Every BIOS is "proprietary" in that it is matched to the motherboard. Nobody says "I think that I'll load this Phoenix BIOS from this Asus into my Dell instead of the AMI BIOS that it has."

It's called "firmware" exactly because it is not general purpose interchangeable software.

I can't quite accept the claim that any device is "proprietary" because it has to have matching firmware.

Well, as you probably know people actually are using homebrew bioses on a number of boards and devices. People also reflash the bioses on their Macs' optical drives to bypass the region change lock-in. I know I have, so I do not accept that point as it stands but that was not the point I was making.

The board in my Dell is available directly from its manufacturer with its default bios and all functions enabled. Dell has reflashed it with its proprietary locked down bios. It is analogous with Dell using its own connectors on the hardware to limit the choice for peripherals and internal components to what Dell deems suitable.

All of this can be bypassed. I could reflash the bios at a cost of my warranty and I could buy adapters to increase my choice of hardware. The point is I should not have to.

AidenShaw
Nov 11, 2008, 01:06 PM
Well, as you probably know people actually are using homebrew bioses on a number of boards and devices. People also reflash the bioses on their Macs' optical drives to bypass the region change lock-in. I know I have, so I do not accept that point as it stands but that was not the point I was making.

Please send me a pointer to a description of how to write your own motherboard BIOS. That would be interesting.

The board in my Dell is available directly from its manufacturer with its default bios and all functions enabled. Dell has reflashed it with its proprietary locked down bios. It is analogous with Dell using its own connectors on the hardware to limit the choice for peripherals and internal components to what Dell deems suitable.

I hardly think that it's comparable to putting a mini-DisplayPort on a system, or ADB or ADC or....

Dell is going for mass market reliability, and if that means removing the bits that let you fry the mobo - then good. All vendors qualify the hardware, and sometimes that involves requesting bug fixes and feature changes in the firmware.

Clearly, you sound like someone who knows enough not to buy a Dell, and who knows how to build your own.

mrr
Nov 11, 2008, 01:11 PM
So, How much are people willing to pay for a 10" MacBook AIR?

I would do $1,000-$1300.

mysticusa
Nov 11, 2008, 01:22 PM
Apple is doing what they are doing best.

Good Design+Good Marketing+Tons of Lies+Tons of Hypes+A Pair of Horse Glasses= Fanboys who love to pay Double the Market Rate Priced Hardwares

I am wondering if Apple continues same pricing+hype+lies strategy, how long the current momentum will last...

Apple knows right now that they will never sell a netbook at 300$ range... why i know this is because if you want to do a 300$ (market prices, check it if you dont believe)SSD drive upgrade in an Apple Laptop costs 1000$, make the calculation, and you will find that an SSD drive in an Apple netbook, should worth 300$ alone... what is the price of screen? memory? lcd? mobo? case? you calculate the rest...

:eek:But wait, Apple will inded make a Netbook, and sell for say 600-700 range and will sell like how people drink water.... Because there are enough amount of blind, horse glassed people in the world with tons of money in their pocket, with little brain to "think" at all...:cool:

kobefan234
Nov 11, 2008, 01:29 PM
Steve Jobs we don't know how to make a netbook without it being a piece of junk:p

madmaxmedia
Nov 11, 2008, 01:36 PM
:eek:But wait, Apple will inded make a Netbook, and sell for say 600-700 range and will sell like how people drink water.... Because there are enough amount of blind, horse glassed people in the world with tons of money in their pocket, with little brain to "think" at all...:cool:

Actually, this is what I think Apple might do. Netbooks are a pretty good concept- cheap hardware can run modern OS's pretty well. But Apple would make it out of better materials, better keyboard, etc. (all of which adds up to $50 tops), and then mark the unit up to $600.

It's the same exercise as taking the $1000 HP, and making a $2000 MacBook Pro out of it.

In both cases they are touting the superiority of OS X, iLife, etc. but those add little to the actual manufacturing cost.

Marx55
Nov 11, 2008, 01:42 PM
TOO HEAVY!!!

1 kg is too much weight. What is needed is a TRUE POCKETABLE MAC with a FULL Mac OS X 10.5.5 inside (not a mere OX X!). Something like this (just 454 g and 5-inch display) but with Mac OS X inside:

OQO model 02
OQO model e2
http://www.oqo.com

or even better, like this:

Next Apple moves will be Books and Games…
http://spidouz.wordpress.com/2008/09/03/next-apple-moves-will-be-books-and-games

Because even the MacBook Air is too heavy and large for us. What for? We do NOT need such pocketable Mac for heavy work on it. We need it as the ultimate Mac to carry Keynote and PowerPoint NATIVE files for full blown presentations (transitions, animations, etc) on wired and wireless video-projectors on classrooms, scientific meetings, home, etc. Just make the presentation on your Mac, save the NATIVE file to the pocket Mac and carry the latter and only the latter for the presentation. The same presentation experience as when using a laptop, but with only 454 g or so and in your pocket.

We need thousands for our University.

koobcamuk
Nov 11, 2008, 02:02 PM
Instead of designing and releasing a $300 netbook, Apple could design a $300 netbook and sell it for $600. It would sell in droves, expand Apple's overall market share, and maintain their profit margin. Especially in a time when $1300 notebook computers are going to increasingly be viewed as an unaffordable luxury.

How has Apple been showing 'so much' emphasis on reducing the lineup? As their market share grows, it is inevitable that they will gradually expand their product lineup.

I'm not saying they will or won't, but there is a credible market here if Apple chooses to target it.

OK, sure.

But now I completely agree with the notion that Apple wants to appear more environmentally concerned - these netbooks go against that grain at the moment. End of story. Apple is being greener.

QCassidy352
Nov 11, 2008, 02:20 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

@ Marx.... I can't tell if you're kidding or not. 1 kg too heavy... I certainly hope you're kidding.

specialbuddy
Nov 11, 2008, 03:18 PM
aww. It's so wonderful to have this topic posted on the front page of Mac Rumours and Gizmondo :):):)

Besides that, I just thought (while in the middle of writing my exam this morning):

You know that Apple's been sporting the chiclet keyboards (the keys that look like independent flat squares) recently. So, how are they going to make that for the smaller version? The keys would be packed, just like a conventional laptop. Although there's similar closer-packed keys like the Voodoo 133... I really hope that they won't do make any virtual keyboard onscreen... sometimes tried-and-trusted is better. :p

The Voodoo 133 is a beautiful machine. It's just expensive and makes the Air look like a good deal.

weckart
Nov 11, 2008, 03:24 PM
Please send me a pointer to a description of how to write your own motherboard BIOS. That would be interesting.

Coreboot (http://www.coreboot.org/Welcome_to_coreboot) is one such project. I would not put the various EFI rewrites used in hackintoshes in the same class as they still interact with onboard bioses.

I hardly think that it's comparable to putting a mini-DisplayPort on a system, or ADB or ADC or....

Proprietary firmware or proprietary hardware - it's just tomayto - tomahto to me. Fact is, I can get this board from the manufacturers or retail with its default bios. I can get it from white box retailers with the same bios. Get it from Dell and it's a different story.
To be fair to Apple, the mini-DisplayPorts are only going on the notebooks, so far. Most notebooks in the past have had one or other proprietary connection, if only to connect to docking stations. General point taken and not disputed, however. Apple is one of the biggest sinners (along with Compaq) in the proprietary hardware stakes. It is just not the only one.

Dell is going for mass market reliability, and if that means removing the bits that let you fry the mobo - then good. All vendors qualify the hardware, and sometimes that involves requesting bug fixes and feature changes in the firmware.

Clearly, you sound like someone who knows enough not to buy a Dell, and who knows how to build your own.

Now, don't be so mean to Dell. Their package was cheaper than I would have paid to have built myself and I have no problems living with the limitations. It is actually not a bad setup, all things considered, and commendably tidy inside. In a couple of years, I may tinker with the bios just for the hell of it, but my modding days are pretty much behind me. Too much pain for too little gain these days.

happydude
Nov 11, 2008, 03:28 PM
would love a netbook and would snap it up in a hurry. i'm looking for a laptop within 3 months, no idea what will come out in WWDC, i'm guessing not much laptop related. so i'll prob be getting a macbook. would prefer something smaller . . .

Spades
Nov 11, 2008, 03:39 PM
But now I completely agree with the notion that Apple wants to appear more environmentally concerned - these netbooks go against that grain at the moment. End of story. Apple is being greener.

A) Apple being greener is mostly accidental (less wasteful laptop casing process also saves money) and is just PR when it's intentional and isn't really being done to save money.

B) Netbooks use less power than full size laptops.

AidenShaw
Nov 11, 2008, 03:43 PM
Coreboot (http://www.coreboot.org/Welcome_to_coreboot) is one such project. I would not put the various EFI rewrites used in hackintoshes in the same class as they still interact with onboard bioses.

Interesting - thanks for the link. I remember hearing about that some time ago now.

I like this warning for Coreboot:

Note: These snapshots are for people, who use Linux as operating system and are able to build software from the source code.

AidenShaw
Nov 11, 2008, 03:47 PM
End of story. Apple is being greener.

If Apple wants a green image, it should do something about disposable gadgets with toxic batteries.

Doing something about Ipods would do much more for the planet than worrying about a few ounces of aluminum vs carbon fiber.

Also, recycling doesn't necessarily mean the ability to melt the laptop down and cast a new one. A carbon shell could be shredded and used in construction material or something completely different.

MagnusVonMagnum
Nov 11, 2008, 05:01 PM
1) Whoever posted this can't use the term "sub-notebook" for whatever pipe dream this is. That term was floated around a bazillion times last year when speculation was around the MacBook Air. Why someone thinks Apple is going to make an itty bitty POS computer is beyond me. The iPhone would cost $600 without the contract to soften the blow. How do you propose competing with $300 machines?

It might be a "POS" to YOU, but clearly many people in this world do not agree and actually LIKE the netbook form factor. I am, of course, 100% for Mac clones whether Apple likes it or not because Apple has no interest in meeting people's needs, only in maximizing profits and that's what has gotten the world economy into the state it's in now. Who cares about people, just push whatever crap brings in the most money.

2) What is up with the niche product fascination? Apple's top sellers are the MacBooks. I don't know if MBP or iMac comes next, but that's where their bread is buttered. Apple has been wasting a lot of time going the niche route

If Apple would concentrate on their operating system instead of fashion trends and phones, OS X would be a LOT further along than it currently is and we wouldn't need a snow leopard to iron out the kinks next year. Fashion might be more important than function to some of you, but many of us just want a better OS and a larger choice of hardware to go with it. Just because Vista is a mess, that doesn't mean this is the time for Apple to sit on their operating system laurels.

The best thing they could do is license out the areas of computing they have no interest in (netbooks are one area they have stated they have zero interest in). They could then make more money and gain more customers in those areas since right now they are getting ZERO netbook dollars. Likewise, if they don't want to make a hardcore gaming Mac, let someone else do it please. Even Dell is capable of selling good quality gaming hardware. The Mac gaming market is now being held back more by hardware (at least the new Macbook has SOME capability now) than anything else (e.g. Cider can translate most games pretty quickly, but given it's slightly slower as a result, BETTER hardware is needed compared to an average PC, not worse).

Hawkeye411
Nov 11, 2008, 05:05 PM
Very cool. Thanks for posting this. I like the white one the best :)

elminno
Nov 11, 2008, 05:16 PM
I'm absolutely certain that the one and only reason why Apple hasn't entered the growing netbook market is because a product as such would instantly kill the MacBook Air sales and Apple understandably does not want to do that to a product that has been out there for less than a year. The reason why it would kill the MBA is, of course, as it would attract the same kind of users i.e. the ones who travel a lot a want to use the computer for web browsing, social networking, typing and some light media. Why would such a user spend a whole bunch of money for a MBA if a little netbook provided the same. For the tasks described, screen size iz not a factor, specially if it came with good specs. The only reason for buying MBA would remain the full size keyboard. It's certainly more comfortable to use than a small netbook keyboard. Before I switched to Macs, I found it difficult to use both a full size desktop keyboard on my desktop PC and a smaller, more tight laptop keyboard. My fingers still struggle a little when I try and use the wired Apple keyboard, therefore I really digg the small bluetooth keyboard which is exactly the same size as my MBP keyboard which I use most of the time. But when I need a big screen, I hook the MBP to my external display and can comfortably use the wireless keyboard. And with the new MBPs, the difference is even less. But I'm getting a little bit off topic here, so I'm just gonna call it.

CaptainCannabis
Nov 11, 2008, 05:17 PM
If it runs a youtube video better than my crapbook air ill buy one from him!!!!
(Im sure if F* does...)

weckart
Nov 11, 2008, 05:33 PM
If it runs a youtube video better than my crapbook air ill buy one from him!!!!
(Im sure if F* does...)

If it is any indication, it runs YT better on OS X than my white Macbook does. Even with the latest flash release that goes easy on the CPU. That is to say at a cooler temperature and without the screeching fan noise pollution. That's not to say that the fan is not on, just that the Wind's fan does not need to go into overdrive to keep the temp down.

I have no idea why, since the Wind's internals are about as cramped as the Macbook's and I recently opened my MB to give it a good clean out. It is as dust free as the day I bought it. Both are running 10.5.5 with the latest flash release.

dummptyhummpty
Nov 11, 2008, 05:36 PM

Is that a misspelled "CTRL" key?

I think these Netbooks are a cool idea. I currently use my Powerbook G4 at school. I'm usually just taking notes (Pages) and surfing the net (Firefox) when I have some free time. While it's nice to have my main computer with me (at home it's hooked up to a 24" Dell LCD), occasionally it would be nice to have something smaller for the times that I have to carry around two or three books. Plus, I'm always worried about it being stolen and I don't feel that I need to carry all of my other data (pictures, non-school related documents) with me to school.

iMacmatician
Nov 11, 2008, 05:47 PM
A single core 1.6Ghz Atom running OSX would make the 1.5Ghz CoreSolo Mini feel like a MacPro in performance, the :apple:TV would be more powerful! Isn't that about as fast as a G4? I have an iBook G4 and it lags for just about anything iWork related.

Apple is waiting for the new ARM chip from PA Semi that will go into the macbook nano. Relax, it'll be out X-mas 2009.So sure are you?

UB is back. We get snow-leopard in January without UB. And in next X-mas we get it back? A netboot that cant run our application. Welll it's apple they have changed there architecture many times before so it's impossible...iPhone OS would run on PA Semi chips without modification, wouldn't it?

So ppl want a 10" "Netbook" with the full OSX Experience (because the apparently the MB is overpowered for this and the MBA still too "big") And the iPhone OS is apparently "underpowered"...

yet the majority who are crying out for an Apple Netbook say they "only" want to check emails, browse the net and "take notes" where needed... Ermm, so why would you then need the complete OSX Experience???I'm sure if Apple used iPhone OS (an extended version of it with copy-and-paste and multi-tasking) for their version of the netbook, it may be cheaper than a Mac OS X version (less overhead, so less specs needed for the same performance), smaller (good thing, right?), thinner, and a better user experience (no cramped display, multi-touch). Such a device would support e-mail, web surfing, as well as using "lite" versions of iWork and even iLife.

This ties in with AppleInsider's persistent claim of such a device ("the return of the Newton"), and it may explain why Apple hasn't just released a Mac OS X netbook yet (they have to work on the revisions to the iPhone OS).

That or a small notebook that is actually designed and used as a regular notebook (iLife, iWork, etc etc.), but just in more portable and quick ways. Its hardware specs would have to be close to the Air's, at least.

What's the point of APple giving you access to iLife, iMovie etc etc if you're never going to use it on an underpowered "Macbook Toy"? I'm sure mobile iLife and iWork will have a much smaller footprint than the regular versions, which means more snappiness on small devices. The footprints of Mac OS X and its apps get more significant the lower the hardware specs are. Even if iLife will run well on a netbook (and I'm sure it does on the higher-specced ones), if it's not used, that's really limiting the potential of Mac OS X, and so iPhone OS is likely as suitable or more so for a lower price and hardware size.

In fact, looking at your argument, it looks like my envisioned iPhone OS device would actually do MORE than what many people want a FULL OS X netbook to do.

The argument of price is completely silly too, becuase we all know Apple charges a premium for ALL of it's hardware products, so do you really think that IF Apple did release a netbook, that it would be "cheap"?If it was cheap, I can bet that it'll be much more underpowered compared to other netbooks. And that just makes the problems I mentioned above even worse, and further reduce the need for full OS X.

In summary, my opinion is that Apple will never release a "standalone" netbook model, but will do a revision of the Macbook AIR in mid-2009 and offer it in 10" and 13" models.I too have doubts of an Apple netbook. A slightly smaller MacBook Air makes sense, especially if it has 1280*800 resolution and the 13" is bumped to 1440*900. Speaking of resolution, the notebooks really need a resolution bump, even as a BTO. I would also think the 10" version would be slightly cheaper than the 13". I can see this happening - I'm not holding my breath - but if it does, it would really divide Apple's notebook lines into "regular" (MacBook, MacBook Pro), and "air" (MacBook nano, MacBook Air).

AidenShaw
Nov 11, 2008, 06:02 PM
I'm sure if Apple used iPhone OS (an extended version of it with copy-and-paste and multi-tasking) for their version of the netbook, it may be cheaper than a Mac OS X version (less overhead, so less specs needed for the same performance), smaller (good thing, right?), thinner, and a better user experience (no cramped display, multi-touch).

Such a device would support e-mail, web surfing, as well as using "lite" versions of iWork and even iLife.

An appeal of the netbook is the full OS, running standard applications (like Office 2007 and my Cisco VPN). You can run just about any reasonable app simply by running the installer.

A MID (Mobile Internet Device) with a 4" or 4.5" screen would be a good place for the phone OS and "lite" versions of apps. It could also use an ARM CPU for extra battery life.

MagnusVonMagnum
Nov 11, 2008, 06:56 PM
I'm absolutely certain that the one and only reason why Apple hasn't entered the growing netbook market is because a product as such would instantly kill the MacBook Air sales and Apple understandably does not want to do that to a product that has been out there for less than a year.

Everything with Apple seems to be along the lines of a new product would harm an existing product. It's amazing how a company like Dell can offer SO MUCH VARIETY and still stay in business whereas Apple can't manage a mid-range mini-tower because it would harm a computer that defaults at $2700 and goes up from there. Ridiculous. No wonder Psystar came into being.

I guess I shouldn't expect anything different with regards to a Netbook, although frankly, to me, the Macbook Air is a gimmick whereas a Netbook is a legitimately smaller more portable unit (what good is just thin when it's still large in terms of area?)

koobcamuk
Nov 11, 2008, 07:13 PM
A) Apple being greener is mostly accidental (less wasteful laptop casing process also saves money) and is just PR when it's intentional and isn't really being done to save money.

B) Netbooks use less power than full size laptops.

I am talking about things like lead and mercury - things that don't go away. Plastic is another one. Metals can be reused easily. Apple are not doing it by accident - we will all have to start making more of an effort. The way we live is not sustainable.

b) netbooks suck. I still don't see the appeal. my 12" PB dances all over them...

Spades
Nov 11, 2008, 09:56 PM
b) netbooks suck. I still don't see the appeal. my 12" PB dances all over them...

That's just your opinion. I'm happy with my Eee 701 and would never consider a full size laptop again. I'm looking to upgrade and come January it'll either be an Apple netbook or an MSI Wind. It's up to Apple whether they want my money or not.

Fukui
Nov 12, 2008, 12:21 AM
All apple has to do is shred the bezel on the MBA, and maybe switch to a 13 inch extra-wide screen like the viao-type-z... that would just be small enough... apple doesn't get it, its not just thin and light, it also means being smaller than an piece of A4.;)

weckart
Nov 12, 2008, 01:57 AM
All apple has to do is shred the bezel on the MBA, ...

Maybe. Maybe not. Take a look at the Toshiba Portege R500. Small bezelled, looks ok. Nice and light. Flimsy as hell. There is a reason manufacturers have fat bezels and it is not because they like to waste superfluous materials on their products.

Evangelion
Nov 12, 2008, 02:53 AM

Well good for you. But there are few things to consider here:

a) your 12" PB is bigger than these netbooks are
b) your 12" PB was about 3-4 times more expensive that these netbooks are
c) your 12" PB isn't manufactured anymore. Best thing you can hope for is an used machine

Hell, my 15.4" MacBook pro dances all over your 12" PB! So clearly your PowerBook is crap!

koobcamuk
Nov 12, 2008, 04:12 AM
Well good for you. But there are few things to consider here:

a) your 12" PB is bigger than these netbooks are
b) your 12" PB was about 3-4 times more expensive that these netbooks are
c) your 12" PB isn't manufactured anymore. Best thing you can hope for is an used machine

Hell, my 15.4" MacBook pro dances all over your 12" PB! So clearly your PowerBook is crap!

a) it is a little - but if I had a "netbook" I would use the same bag to carry the thing anyway. It doesn't weigh much. I work out.
b) It wass, yes. Used prices are pretty good right now, but more importantly, I already own the 12" PB - hence my opinion.
c) see B

My 15.4" MBP dances all over it too - maybe even your MBP too :P
Seriously, the point is, I really don't see the use for these things. They seem to be a fad to me. Not large enough to do anything real in my opinion. Again, my opinion.

Evangelion
Nov 12, 2008, 04:53 AM
a) it is a little - but if I had a "netbook" I would use the same bag to carry the thing anyway.

There is a difference Link (http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_comparison/19740-MSI-Wind-vs-12-PowerBook). And the MSI Wind is in fact a bit smaller than in the comparison, since it has tapered design, I used the thickest value for the entire laptop.

As to weight.... 12" PowerBook weights 2.1 Kg, MSI Wind is a bit over 1Kg. So your PowerBook is over twice as heavy as the Wind is.

b) It wass, yes. Used prices are pretty good right now, but more importantly, I already own the 12" PB - hence my opinion.

But if someone was buying a computer right now, the 12" PowerBook wouldn't be that good of an option when compared to a netbook. Price is more or less the same, but the PB would be at least 2.5 years old, whereas the netbook would be brand-new.

Seriously, the point is, I really don't see the use for these things. They seem to be a fad to me. Not large enough to do anything real in my opinion. Again, my opinion.

Then why is your 12" PB "useful" if these netbooks are not? Hell, you yourself said that the size ir more or less the same. So if these netbooks are "too small" to be useful, then so is your 12" PowerBook.

I, on the other hand, see the size as a plus, since it would let me take the machine everywhere. I don't want to carry my MBP anywhere because it's so big, heavy and expensive.

MojoWill
Nov 12, 2008, 07:31 AM
These kind of things are useful and have their place. They are not meant to replace the big boys

I personally have a 17" MBP and love it but it is to big and heavy to carry everywhere all the time.

I have an iphone but it is so annoying to browse with seriously and coverage is poor.

So i have nought the Acer Aspire A110AW which has a lovley 8.9" screen 8GB SSD and great WiFi this and a HSPDA modem from a company who actually has coverage is all I need whilst I'm out and about. I dont't use it at home or work but when you need to get online quick it makes sense.

I havent installed OSX on mine yet as it only has 512MB RAM however I really think Apple needs to get down of it's high horse and start meeting consumer demand instead of this "religious" style crusade they are on.

I don't care if the Mac's are greener they are too expensive to seriously compete with the average users budget. My Acer cost £179.99 ($284.30) thats cheaper than an iPhone, hell it's cheaper than a weekend away in a crap B&B!

Watch the Apple Notebook Keynote again and listen to the reaction of the crowd, there isn't one! They all turned up expecting great things and was dealt the same crap the Jobs always gives. WHO CARES about the single mould Steve? Clearly when it was past around the audience most people where wondering so we have to pay $1000 so you can do this???

I love my Apple products but really really wish Apple would do better!

puffnstuff
Nov 12, 2008, 07:41 AM
I'm not for osx on a netbook I think iphone os would do better on the smaller screens and I would like to see Apple put that on a netbook.

Fukui
Nov 12, 2008, 08:28 AM
Maybe. Maybe not. Take a look at the Toshiba Portege R500. Small bezelled, looks ok. Nice and light. Flimsy as hell. There is a reason manufacturers have fat bezels and it is not because they like to waste superfluous materials on their products.

Yea, but since they're using flimsy light plastic, and the MBA aluminum, it should be alright...right?

raccoontail
Nov 12, 2008, 11:12 AM
The 10" form factor is finally large enough to be comfortably usable. They are going to sell like hotcakes and Apple should not ignore the category.

Case in point: I needed a portable to complement my 24" iMac and I was really considering the new Macbook or an Air, but at 1/3d the cost I decided on a Samsung NC-10. Same specs as the MSI Wind, but slightly higher price & build quality. These machines aren't cheap crap. They have useful features like synaptics multitouch, LED backlighting, good speakers, SD card slot, 3 USB ports, ethernet, and bluetooth. What's the point of a small notebook if you have to carry around a USB hub, digital camera cable, VGA dongle, Ethernet dongle, etc. I'd also be hard pressed to tell someone to mess with buying/installing Parallels and a Windows license, vs $400 for a netbook.

!¡ V ¡!
Nov 12, 2008, 11:31 AM

Funny how you call the netbook a fad, when I could possible consider the iPod and iPhone a fad as well. Touch, really what good is it. Sounds more of a gimmick to me. People said the iPod was a fad when first released, however years later it still exists and is improving. Just cannot justify paying 400 for only 32GB of HDD space with no SD slot. Seriously. :p

I have several Mac from workstations to desktops to notebooks, and I liked the form factor of the netbook and price. I bought a 1000H because I did not need BT and N, however wanted something to carry with me and entertain me for music (iTunes), video (VLC) and surfing (FF, Safari) when I go on short trips. The HDD is ample as it can support SD/SDHC so no problems there, heck this was the selling point for me along with a matte screen. So far I have happy with it, though I wish it was a little bit smaller or a smaller bezel.

Here is hoping these improvements are implemented. :D

glynhughes
Nov 12, 2008, 02:19 PM
I made one of these a few weeks back - relatively cheap, quick and easy to do. I had intended to leave it as a windows machine, but when I found I could have osx the temptation was too great. I wouldn't have to buy new software for a start and I'd have the right sized machine without having to learn windows all over again.

I prefer it to my macbook. Main reason is it doesn't need as much working space so it's much more practical to use it on a plane/train/lap etc. It doesn't draw attention to itself the way a full size notebook does.

If apple turned their hand to making a 10" computer I'm sure I'd be first in line now. But even if they don't, I've got a perfectly adequate one for the time being.

Here's a few pros and cons in case anyone's thinking of going this way instead of the macbook air or whatever;

Against.
screen size is 1024x600 so a few dialogue windows disappear off the bottom. But this hasn't caused a problem yet.

updates aren't simple or immediate. 10.5.4 is where I've got to so far

touchpad is a bit different (with the tap-to-click thing) but you get used to it.

Getting it to run osx could be a bit scary for a sterotypical (these days at any rate) apple consumer.

Putting osx on the machine generates a couple of minor quirks. Nothing that gets in the way of using the machine though and if you've done the installation yourself you'll understand what's going on if you experience them and not be phased.

For.
Useable in spaces other macs wouldn't be

cheap enough to chuck around without feeling too guilty

replaceable batteries (another reason I never bought a macbook air)

Thought a £300 computer would be slower than the macbook but it doesn't seem to be.

hihater
Nov 12, 2008, 03:13 PM
People can keep daydreaming, Apple building a netbook is like the xmac and tablet, won't happen. :rolleyes:

oscillatewildly
Nov 12, 2008, 05:11 PM
Apple Netbook only available through an iMac package?

kamm
Nov 14, 2008, 08:40 AM
IMO these devices only make sense with touch screen - like this OS X tablet, built on the Gigabyte M912 (http://blip.tv/file/1311417?filename=Chippysteve-GigabyteM912MOverview867.wmv), the best price/performance ratio netbook/tablet out there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ObbUsTaupA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THsN1mtSRgQ

The guy posted his project here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=130010

Now that Gigabyte is shipping the M912-M (http://www.umpcportal.com/products/Gigabyte/M912M/M912M) version with 1024x600 LED touch screen I'll order one from MobilX (http://www.mobilx.hu/index.php?target=products&product_id=7307&sl=EN&currency=usd) within weeks if not days. :cool:

kamm
Nov 14, 2008, 08:48 AM
Funny how you call the netbook a fad, when I could possible consider the iPod and iPhone a fad as well. Touch, really what good is it. Sounds more of a gimmick to me. People said the iPod was a fad when first released, however years later it still exists and is improving. Just cannot justify paying 400 for only 32GB of HDD space with no SD slot. Seriously. :p

I have several Mac from workstations to desktops to notebooks, and I liked the form factor of the netbook and price. I bought a 1000H because I did not need BT and N, however wanted something to carry with me and entertain me for music (iTunes), video (VLC) and surfing (FF, Safari) when I go on short trips. The HDD is ample as it can support SD/SDHC so no problems there, heck this was the selling point for me along with a matte screen. So far I have happy with it, though I wish it was a little bit smaller or a smaller bezel.

Here is hoping these improvements are implemented. :D

Netbooks are awe some IF they can fit into a bigger coat or jacket pocket or a little bag AND they can be used while holding 'em (tablets) - otherwise it's either just a crippled laptop or some oversized smartphone.

Their role for me is to bridge what I call the "15-20 minutes" (mobile) computing (my HTC TyTn or a G1 etc) and the tabletop computing (my Vaio, my WS etc.)
Also it makes a huge different to carry a sub-2lbs/1kg unit (netbook, MID etc) all day long on a conference or a sub-4lbs/2kg unit (lightweight notebook, sub-note etc.)

nplima
Nov 14, 2008, 08:56 AM
Their role for me is to bridge what I call the "15-20 minutes" (mobile) computing (my HTC TyTn or a G1 etc) and the tabletop computing (my Vaio, my WS etc.)

and to add to this, you can revisit a discussion on Slashdot about "what to take on a round-the-world trip". Back then, laptops were too much of a thug-magnet or too expensive to risk breaking/losing. The £200 that buy a new netbook today was about the ideal price level for a used thinkpad.

macEfan
Nov 15, 2008, 06:35 PM
Wish I could acquire one of those...would be perfect for taking on the road and around the office!

chewietobbacca
Nov 17, 2008, 12:25 PM
Personally I LOVE my Acer Aspire One. At 8.9" screen, its small enough to fit in bags easily and it was cheap! Now to modd OS X onto it