PDA

View Full Version : Set up push email on the iPhone with any email address

MacBytes
Nov 9, 2008, 09:48 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Software
Link: Set up push email on the iPhone with any email address (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20081109104842)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

NinjaHERO
Nov 9, 2008, 10:21 AM
Or you could save the $119 a year and get a free Yahoo address. Is Yahoo still the only other email with Push for the Iphone?

GenericUsername
Nov 9, 2008, 10:26 AM
As the article says, this doesn't work with any e-mail address. It works only with e-mail addresses that allow you to forward received e-mails to another address.

friekunater
Nov 9, 2008, 10:28 AM
Or you could save the $119 a year and get a free Yahoo address. Is Yahoo still the only other email with Push for the Iphone?

Yahoo and gmail both offer push email on the iPhone.

For those that don't know this, all you have to do is set up your gmail or yahoo account, go into [settings->fetch new data->advanced->my gmail/yahoo account] and turn it to "fetch". Then, go back to the "fetch new data" menu off the settings menu, turn "push" on, and choose to fetch email hourly

MDiddy
Nov 9, 2008, 11:34 AM
Yahoo and gmail both offer push email on the iPhone.

For those that don't know this, all you have to do is set up your gmail or yahoo account, go into [settings->fetch new data->advanced->my gmail/yahoo account] and turn it to "fetch". Then, go back to the "fetch new data" menu off the settings menu, turn "push" on, and choose to fetch email hourly

Is that true? I was under the understanding that Gmail introduced IMAP access a while back, but I hadn't heard about push.

friekunater
Nov 9, 2008, 11:36 AM
Is that true? I was under the understanding that Gmail introduced IMAP access a while back, but I hadn't heard about push.

yes, gmail has push. I wouldn't live without it :)

bmms8
Nov 9, 2008, 11:41 AM

i tried this and surprisingly it worked on my first email test. i then sent another test email but it did not pick up up. how long does it usually take to "push" to the phone? thanks!

Nov 9, 2008, 03:06 PM
Who approved this crap? So, emails can be forwarded to me.com in order to use push? Wow, who would have thought!!

What a waste of time.

penguy
Nov 9, 2008, 03:06 PM

why is it that both my yahoo and sbcglobal accounts offer 'push' as an option under fetch new data, but gmail does not? it offers 'fetch' and 'manual' only???

Benjamindaines
Nov 9, 2008, 03:50 PM
why is it that both my yahoo and sbcglobal accounts offer 'push' as an option under fetch new data, but gmail does not? it offers 'fetch' and 'manual' only???

Because GMail doesn't offer push, only IMAP. GMail is only push on Andriod devices.

friekunater
Nov 9, 2008, 10:21 PM
Because GMail doesn't offer push, only IMAP. GMail is only push on Andriod devices.

WRONG, read my earlier posts.

@penguy: for gmail choose "fetch" in that menu for gmail push

Benjamindaines
Nov 9, 2008, 10:48 PM
WRONG, read my earlier posts.

@penguy: for gmail choose "fetch" in that menu for gmail push

uhh, fetch isn't the same thing as push

friekunater
Nov 10, 2008, 05:47 AM
uhh, fetch isn't the same thing as push

I know that, but in order for push to be activated in gmail you have to select fetch over manual email retrieve.

tk421
Nov 10, 2008, 12:27 PM
I know that, but in order for push to be activated in gmail you have to select fetch over manual email retrieve.

That doesn't activate Push. It just tells your iPhone to check your Gmail every 15 minutes (or longer, depending on how you set it) to see if there's any new mail.

For me, that's fine. I can wait 15 minutes to see if I have new email. But if Gmail does bring push to the iPhone (and I expect they will at some point) that will be even better.

penguy
Nov 11, 2008, 08:42 AM
That doesn't activate Push. It just tells your iPhone to check your Gmail every 15 minutes (or longer, depending on how you set it) to see if there's any new mail.

For me, that's fine. I can wait 15 minutes to see if I have new email. But if Gmail does bring push to the iPhone (and I expect they will at some point) that will be even better.

I did a simple test to my three accounts and the two push accounts recei bed the email in 3 and 5 seconds. Gmail didn't get it until I accessed the account.

friekunater
Nov 11, 2008, 09:17 AM

I did a simple test to my three accounts and the two push accounts recei bed the email in 3 and 5 seconds. Gmail didn't get it until I accessed the account.

gmail DOES have push!!!
I've been using it for about a month now! It works great!

penguy
Nov 12, 2008, 10:03 AM
gmail DOES have push!!!
I've been using it for about a month now! It works great!

not trying to argue, but if it is push, it does NOT perform like yahoo/att accounts do. The expectations from others (e.g. Blackberry users) is near instantaneous email notification, so far, at least for me, the gmail account does not come close, but as I stated earlier, both my yahoo and sbc/ATT account are immediate.

friekunater
Nov 13, 2008, 05:33 AM
not trying to argue, but if it is push, it does NOT perform like yahoo/att accounts do. The expectations from others (e.g. Blackberry users) is near instantaneous email notification, so far, at least for me, the gmail account does not come close, but as I stated earlier, both my yahoo and sbc/ATT account are immediate.

well I don't have an account with them, I'll have to try it

EvanLugh
Nov 13, 2008, 09:08 AM
Gmail does have push..

rockinrocker
Nov 13, 2008, 10:54 AM
if gmail has push, can someone explain how to set it up? cause i sure can't find it...

friekunater
Nov 14, 2008, 10:31 PM
if gmail has push, can someone explain how to set it up? cause i sure can't find it...

check out my first post on this thread

cmendill
Dec 11, 2008, 09:20 AM
Following the instructions at the top of this thread, gmail does NOT push email to the iphone. You must access the account to receive new mail.

For that matter, yahoo has stopped pushing email to my phone as well, so who knows?

Eric Noa
Dec 11, 2008, 10:24 AM
AOL also offers Push E-mail

Kilamite
Dec 11, 2008, 11:15 AM
Gmail does have push..

I thought this was a misinterpretation of a bug in the iPhone 2.1 update that make Mail check for emails in very short intervals and everyone jumped up and down celebrating because it seemed like Gmail was providing push.