PDA

View Full Version : PowerMac-Is it worth upgrading

zachsilvey
Nov 9, 2008, 12:39 PM
I have a PowerMac dual G5 2.0 ghz with 1 gb of ram. I am thinking about putting 4 gbs in it (only 61 bucks on crucial) is this even worth it. Am I going to get a significant speed boost. It's running leopard.

Also is this machine powerful enough for video editing in final cut pro.

Eric5h5
Nov 9, 2008, 12:46 PM
I have a PowerMac dual G5 2.0 ghz with 1 gb of ram. I am thinking about putting 4 gbs in it (only 61 bucks on crucial) is this even worth it. Am I going to get a significant speed boost. It's running leopard.

Adding RAM never gives a speed boost; it only prevents the computer from slowing down if it runs out of memory and has to swap stuff to the HD. So whether adding RAM is a benefit depends on what you do. That said, it's not hard to run out with only 1GB if you're doing anything hardcore or running lots of apps.

Yes.

--Eric

zachsilvey
Nov 9, 2008, 01:32 PM
It runs out of memory quick, if I have safari running there is only 24 megs of ram left.
I really need more ram.

sash
Nov 9, 2008, 01:41 PM
Am I going to get a significant speed boost.

No significant speed boost. But for video / photo editing 1 GB is indeed not enough.

OrangeSVTguy
Nov 9, 2008, 02:26 PM
Upgrading from 1 to 4gb will be a significant difference in performance. I just went from 1.25 to 2gb and I can't believe the difference and I'm running Leopard as well. Frys.com had a great deal on Crucial for $15 for a 2gb kit of PC3200 but by the time I found out, it was already sold out. They do however still have Crucial 1gb modules for $8.99 after a $17 rebate. I'm thinking about getting that as it's about $36(4gb) after rebates, you will have to fork over about $104(4gb) to buy it. I'm at about 22mb left and it's still running rather quickly ATM on 2gb. I'm thinking 4GB will really free it up.

What year is your Dual 2.0. I'm pretty sure you got 8 slots so you can have up to 8gb. I havn't ran FCP yet but I'm sure it will run just fine, once you upgrade your memory of course ;).

Oh yeah here's the link for the $8.99 Crucial 1gb modules (http://shop3.frys.com/product/5297207;jsessionid=uJdPl3mtuQT+-3eZTIZyLQ**.node2?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG).

brop52
Nov 9, 2008, 02:42 PM
You might as well go to 4GB. It's very cheap.

akdj
Nov 9, 2008, 05:04 PM
I still do some editing in the field on my PB G4, 1.5ghz/1.5g RAM. I use FCP as well, and the "old" G4 is perfect, as it fits the Panasonic P2 cards directly into it's expansion...whereas, my new MBP has the "express" slot.

More RAM is mandatory if you want to use FCP. However, depending on the resolutions you are editing and rendering....you may want to look at a new Pro upgrade...especially if you will be doing high definition (720p+) rendering.

J

leekohler
Nov 9, 2008, 05:27 PM

Yes, and yes. Your computer will run much better with 4 gigs. If you can, I'd recommend 8 gigs.

zachsilvey
Nov 9, 2008, 09:30 PM
yes my powermac has 8 ram slots, what would be faster four 1gb sticks or two 2gb sticks.

OrangeSVTguy
Nov 9, 2008, 09:56 PM
yes my powermac has 8 ram slots, what would be faster four 1gb sticks or two 2gb sticks.

As much as I remember, the only 2gb sticks available are High-density ECC server memory and those don't work. You need low density NON-ECC memory.

Just remember to buy them in pairs as you have to use dual channel memory. You can actually get 8x 512mb sticks if it's cheaper for 4gb but if you buy from the link I provided, 1gb sticks are actually cheaper.

IroquoisPliskin
Nov 9, 2008, 10:51 PM
There is no such thing as too much memory. Buy as much as you can afford.

1GB isn't even enough for web surfing. My G5 always has around 1.4gb used with just firefox, mail and VLC playing a video.

sash
Nov 10, 2008, 05:15 AM
Adding RAM never gives a speed boost; it only prevents the computer from slowing down if it runs out of memory and has to swap stuff to the HD. So whether adding RAM is a benefit depends on what you do. That said, it's not hard to run out with only 1GB if you're doing anything hardcore or running lots of apps.

That's as accurate as it gets. Adding RAM is not like upgrading your CPU. On the other hand, if your machine is choking with all RAM used, it'll help, and 1 GB is indeed too low. Especially if you're running RAM consuming applications and trashing lowers your machine's performance.

akdj
Nov 10, 2008, 01:03 PM
Sash,

While you are absolutely correct as far as "speed" is defined, the actual horsepower available....Speed as our original poster is concerned may very well be increased....as far as everyday tasks. That's exactly what solid state RAM, random access memory....does! Holds your data on or near the processor with a short bridge to cross to access the info. If you have more RAM, the less time your CPU needs to spend time accessing the long term memory on the HDD:)

Hence, the computer will run faster....with ALL tasks! Itunes ripping, Imovie Rendering, even the speed or surfing can be theoretically increased.

All increases, of course, have nothing to do with CPU increase....but maybe a better opportunity to use all the CPU has to offer with a memory increase:)

J

sash
Nov 10, 2008, 01:55 PM
All increases, of course, have nothing to do with CPU increase....but maybe a better opportunity to use all the CPU has to offer with a memory increase:)

Absolutely, and that's why I've got 10 GB on MP and 6 GB on G5.

If the OP has 24 MB free with only Safari running, than he needs it, no doubt! And working with FCP you can use as much RAM as you can buy. I was concerned about the word 'significant' and the expectations which may be too high. One won't jump higher than... you know, in this case, as CPU, FSB etc.

zachsilvey
Nov 10, 2008, 10:12 PM
thanks for all the help, i will be receiving my 4gbs in the mail this week. that should keep me satiated for a while since I won't be running fcp for a while.

OrangeSVTguy
Nov 11, 2008, 09:42 AM
thanks for all the help, i will be receiving my 4gbs in the mail this week. that should keep me satiated for a while since I won't be running fcp for a while.

Did you buy it from Frys? I think I'm going to purchase 4gb from them later on during the week.

*edit*
Rebate ends on the 13th of November so I gotta buy it quick then.

zachsilvey
Nov 11, 2008, 12:37 PM
no i got it off of crucial.

n8mac
Nov 12, 2008, 07:50 PM
Crucial is the best IMO.

The easiest way to tell if you need more ram is to open all the apps that you would use on your busiest day and use some of them, like in this case use FCP while surfing the net while playing iTunes, you get the idea. Then open activity monitor and if you are paging out then you need more ram, simple as that.