Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oneness

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
Cowtown
For my home theater setup I have a Sony KDL 46z4100 TV, an Onkyo AV reciever and a Mac mini. Of course I would like to rid myself of the 3 remotes that it takes to operate my setup and I am looking at the Harmonys. So I have a several questions:

1. Can the Harmony turn on my mini and open the correct program (be it Plex or Front Row or any other front end media software)?
2. Can it properly turn off the mini (I had read that some people have problems with the Harmonys properly turning off their Apple TV's)?
3. Is there a way to rig my Newer Tech Mini-Stack external hard drive so it can be turned on by the Harmony?
4. What Harmony remote do I need? I really don't want to pay the $250 for the Harmony 880 if I don't need to. I have at the moment 3 devices that I need to control.

Thanks for all your insight and help.

ibglowin

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2005
Works fine with the AppleTV

I think it will work fine with the Mini since it uses the same remote.

No need to pay big $$$.

Just pick up a refurbed off Amazon.

I picked up a refurbed 880 for only $69 shipped on a Gold Box deal.

They are selling for $79 refurbed on Amazon regular.

Refurbed Amazon are like Refurbed Apple. Just like new. :p

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
For my home theater setup I have a Sony KDL 46z4100 TV, an Onkyo AV reciever and a Mac mini. Of course I would like to rid myself of the 3 remotes that it takes to operate my setup and I am looking at the Harmonys. So I have a several questions:

1. Can the Harmony turn on my mini and open the correct program (be it Plex or Front Row or any other front end media software)?
2. Can it properly turn off the mini (I had read that some people have problems with the Harmonys properly turning off their Apple TV's)?
3. Is there a way to rig my Newer Tech Mini-Stack external hard drive so it can be turned on by the Harmony?
4. What Harmony remote do I need? I really don't want to pay the $250 for the Harmony 880 if I don't need to. I have at the moment 3 devices that I need to control.

Thanks for all your insight and help.

1. it will turn on the remote but i don't about opening programs, its going to work just like the apple remote.
2. it should turn the mini off
3. no
4.i have the 670 and it works like a charm with my apple tv and all my other components.

docjoe

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2008
Hi Oneness,

check the web for a software called "Buddy Remote".
Works fine with Macs.

Oneness

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
Cowtown
Hi Oneness,

check the web for a software called "Buddy Remote".
Works fine with Macs.

I was under the impression that Buddy Remote was not intended to turn on things like TV's and AV receivers. I want to get rid of the tv and AVR remotes.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
It's actually Remote Buddy, and it's a software program you use on your Mac in conjunction with a real remote -- so no, it doesn't have anything to do with a TV or receiver. It does, however, give you a great deal of control over your Mac. I use Remote Buddy with a Logitech Harmony 550 to control my Mac Mini with Plex, and I can open programs and initiate Apple Scripts and pretty much anything else I want to do.

Oneness

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
Cowtown
It's actually Remote Buddy, and it's a software program you use on your Mac in conjunction with a real remote -- so no, it doesn't have anything to do with a TV or receiver. It does, however, give you a great deal of control over your Mac. I use Remote Buddy with a Logitech Harmony 550 to control my Mac Mini with Plex, and I can open programs and initiate Apple Scripts and pretty much anything else I want to do.

Okay so I got a Harmony 880 and Remote Buddy. For me the learning curve was a little steep and I still don't know if I understand everything about the setup, but I have it working and I'll have to say that Remote Buddy is great.
I do still have one problem. I would like to either put the Mini to sleep or turn it off when I push the power button on the Harmony remote. I don't know of anyway to do this without doing a Global Mapping function on Remote Buddy, but I don't really want to use up a key function with a hardwired function. Any ideas?

SCStevens04

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2006
NC
I’m trying to come up with a good flow using a new Harmony 550, and my MacMini. No problem turning on the mini, TV, EyeTV and stereo. My gap is it can’t switch to/from iTunes and Front Row.

I agree that Remote Buddy looks nice but I can’t figure out how to assign a button on the Harmony to switch applications while keeping other buttons running like a normal Apple remote. Any suggestions? It needs to be somewhat simple for my 6 yr old (not to mention his grandparents!)

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
You may want to try Plex. It can use the logitech harmony remote and can use your iTunes library as well as the eyeTV and it has all the features of Front Row and more.

By the way, this thread is half a year old. Start a new thread in the future.

SCStevens04

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2006
NC
Thanks for the advice. I may try Plex and/or Boxee again, but I don’t remember some iTunes features being there (I love iTunes DJ with my iPhone!). Also, I’m not too crazy about using that program to launch Front Row to launch EyeTV. Too many nested functions.

Even if I did go the Plex route is there a way to have that launch through my Harmony remote?

I hear ya about a new thread, but others would say I need to search 1st . Man do I need an etiquette book!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.