Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amg40

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
I'm running Tiger on a 2.5ghz MacBook Pro (purchased april '08) and everything works perfectly and the screen colors/ brightness is perfect.
In Windows XP however (running via Boot Camp), the screen has an annoying bluish tint that I can not get rid of. It is especially visible in lighter colors that should be gray or off-white. In the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics card control panel there is no obvious way to fix this problem. And it is not a gamma or brightness problem- because even after adjusting those, the bluish tint remains. Perhaps this is caused by a lack of a control in XP and/or the graphics card for the moniter's color temperature on the LED back-lit screen? When running XP through VMware fusion however the screen colors are dead-on.
Anyone else experience this or have any suggestions?!

neenja

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
im having this same problem.. im on leopard 10.5.6 on a early 2008 MBP.

very annoying :(

integrat.ethis

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2008
Hey guys,

This is caused by the fact that the uncalibrated Macbook Pro screen is quite a disaster. In OS X, software calibration is used to correct the colors, but in Windows, there's no such luck. What you can do is copy your OS X color profile over to Windows and apply it using an external program (since Windows color management is horrible).

Here's what you do:
1. Make a 2.2 gamma profile in OS X for your display.
2. Copy the .icc file to Windows (from Libraries/ColorSync)
3. Double click it in Windows
4. In Vista:
Use this program: http://www.exactscan.com/lutmanager/
In XP:
Use this program: http://www.microsoft.com/prophoto/do...orcontrol.aspx
These programs will apply the profile for you.
In Windows 7 (preferred):
It's built into the OS color management - just apply the profile through there.

Hope this helps!

neenja

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
Thanks for the helpful reply!

I have a problem though.. I was able to create the profile easily and am able to see it in my list from system/display.. but when i go to library/colorsync i dont see the file there? i named the profile 'windows.icc', i even tried using spotlight.. and its no where to be found :(

any ideas?

integrat.ethis

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2008
Hey... the custom color profiles should be in your user directory / Library / ColorSync. The prebuilt ones are in Mac HD / Library / ColorSync /

Markov

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Philadelphia
In other words, go into the Terminal (located in the utilities folder in the applications folder) and type the following:

open ~/Library/ColorSync

A windows should pop open with the user-made color profile.

evilzardoz

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2008
Hi,

Thanks for this! Google dug up this thread and this was VERY helpful - I can now use the Apple ICC profiles to have the same colour accuracy under bootcamp that I enjoy under VMware!

Yep, this works.

xtqqtxxx

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2006
I've had the same issue and solved it with Windows 7 Color Management using the .icc profile from Snow Leopard.
However, the color reverts back to being blue-ish when I run games, which is mainly the reason I run Boot Camp...

Anyone have this same issue or know of a solution? This is so frustrating. :[

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.