PDA

View Full Version : iPhone duffs up Blackberry in smartphone reliability fight

MacBytes
Nov 10, 2008, 11:00 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: iPhone duffs up Blackberry in smartphone reliability fight (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20081110120024)
Description:: iPhone users are more likely to drop it or spill coffee on it than complain about the battery, according to a new reliability study looking at the first year of smartphone ownership.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

jmann
Nov 10, 2008, 11:35 AM
That's funny the statistics about the battery on the other phones dying. I would rather have battery strength issues than have it die completely. :D

supmango
Nov 10, 2008, 12:14 PM
I wonder how long it will take for all major corporations to adopt the iPhone over the Blackberry. It seems like some may be sticking with Blackberry simply because of its brand name. I have been looking through the web to try and find something that presents a vulnerability to corporations by using the iPhone, I can only find a bunch of trivial stuff related to phishing and spammers. Most people are intelligent enough to watch for things like that on their own (I hope :D). My wife has an iPhone and her company just bought everyone new Blackberry's. She said it is going in a drawer and never coming out.

cohibadad
Nov 10, 2008, 04:29 PM
There are corporations that are not going to switch from blackberry to iPhone as long as it is tied to one carrier.

Kilamite
Nov 10, 2008, 05:49 PM
How can accidental damage, like spilling coffee on it, be taken into account when assessing reliability?

Demosthenes X
Nov 10, 2008, 07:28 PM
I wonder how long it will take for all major corporations to adopt the iPhone over the Blackberry. It seems like some may be sticking with Blackberry simply because of its brand name.

I think the lack of a physical keyboard, lack of push support, and non-changeable battery weigh heavily against the iPhone for corporate use. Of course, once Apple rolls out push and native widescreen email, the iPhone gets a lot more serious...

But honestly, I think the BB is around to stay. They make amazing business-class devices...

Rodimus Prime
Nov 10, 2008, 08:11 PM
I think the lack of a physical keyboard, lack of push support, and non-changeable battery weigh heavily against the iPhone for corporate use. Of course, once Apple rolls out push and native widescreen email, the iPhone gets a lot more serious...

But honestly, I think the BB is around to stay. They make amazing business-class devices...

you forgot the security on a iPhone is by far less than a blackberry. They can remotely lock a blackberry you can not do that to an iPhone. The lack of push is a huge killer.

gilkisson
Nov 10, 2008, 08:18 PM
The largest obstacle the iPhone must overcome in corporate deployments isn't reliability, batteries, features, or popularity. It's inertia. An IT department that supports a few hundred BBs isn't going to willingly undergo the conversion process, nor will the company pay for it without a very good reason. Gee-whiz factor isn't that good of a reason.

Unless the CEO gets an iPhone. Then all bets are off.:cool:

shadowfax
Nov 10, 2008, 10:23 PM
you forgot the security on a iPhone is by far less than a blackberry. They can remotely lock a blackberry you can not do that to an iPhone. The lack of push is a huge killer.

You forgot that the iPhone has changed a lot since it was introduced over a year ago. Among some of the new features is 'remote wipe,' which is a far more secure option than remote lock.

Security is not a genuine concern with the iPhone. Cellular phones are inherent security risks, but if your device is properly passkey locked enough to secure it until a remote wipe can be done, the iPhone is no less secure than any other phone out there [except the ones that can't access corporate data, but that goes without saying, and kind of defeats the purpose, eh?].

AlmostThere
Nov 11, 2008, 07:15 AM
How can accidental damage, like spilling coffee on it, be taken into account when assessing reliability?

I spill coffee on my iPhone, it breaks, I spill it on my Blackberry, it survives?

Maybe that sleek shape just doesn't afford the same level of grip

supmango
Nov 11, 2008, 08:11 AM

I need to see some real hard evidence saying the iPhone still has a real security vulnerability. I know about the phishing and spamer vulnerability, but frankly everyone is vulnerable to this so it is simply not a valid concern. Show me something concrete and I will listen.

supmango
Nov 11, 2008, 08:14 AM

I don't quite understand why people hate the touch screen keyboard. As far as push goes, mine works great (better than my previous blackberry by leaps and bounds). And battery life is also minimal. It is a bit annoying that you can't change the battery, but when you weigh that against the benefits...

wheezy
Nov 11, 2008, 10:08 AM
I think a lot of reliability just comes in the total dedication to design that Apple has. I was discussing PC Laptops vs Mac Laptops the other day with an almost-ready-to-switch friend, and I realized that PC laptops are rarely built to stay together for more than a few years; they suffer from overheating, saggy plastic, bad batter cords etc whereas the MacbookPro/Powerbook line are still holding together very well.

The same goes on the iPhone. It's basically a one piece shell; the battery doesn't wiggle loose, the buttons don't wear out and stop working, the numbers don't smear off. It doesn't have that ball thing. When your external shell is made up of so many different parts, you're bound to have more failure.