Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miikkis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Hello,

I have a tricky situation, at the moment I own rev a air (1,6 80gb) which has been fixed several times. Now the hard disk is failing again and after visiting apple store they told me that I get voucher worth of 1299£ or new rev b air.

Because I'm a student, I would get the 1,86/ssd model if I would put approx. 240£ cash on a table. In the other hand, I could take a new basic mbp and still have ~150£ voucher to purchase something extra from the store.

I'm happy with my current air, but of course I would wish that it would be a bit faster. I've had core, fan etc. problems so I came in conclusion that maybe this little thing isn't just for me. BUT, I love the size. When I lifted the new mb in the air at apple store, I just had to laugh... And the screen compared to air/mbp, no no no... :eek:
I carry my laptop with me quite a lot, so size/weight does matter to me.

So my question is (related to the topic) how hot/noisy the new rev b 1,86/ssd model gets when you use eyetv? 'Cause I think that is the heaviest program that I use (safari,microsoft office,itunes,mail). With this one the fan spins max and you can't use any other programs at the same time (killing core). At home I attach this little thing on 22 inch external screen and it's also quite effectively killing the pleasure of using my mac :D

If somebody has a chance to test it, I would be more than happy to hear the results. My local apple store doesn't have rev b models at stock so we couldn't do it there. One thing is sure, I saw the rev a 1,6/80 and 1,8/ssd boots and it's amazing how much faster the ssd is :cool:
So, if I stick with the air, it will be definitely with ssd hard drive. In here everyone has praised the power of new air, but those test results etc. doesn't say anything to me, I would like to get "real life usage", like eyetv, results.

Thanking already for the advices! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.