Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I have / had a ton of uncased players from other manufacturers and for the most part, they've survived very well. I have a ~3 year old Sony flash player for example which is mostly clear plastic and still looks fine, despite spending time in pockets with keys, etc.

On the other hand, practically every iPod I've had so far looks like crap almost immediately after taking it out of the box without putting some sort of invisibleshield / case on, just by handling it. My 2005-6 iPods were the worst: They looked like a ten year old Sony after about half an hour inside a pocket.

Apple seems to have done a slightly better job of anodising on the Nano this time around, and this combined with the glass screen seems to me to be showing promise.

I've not really done much with my newest Nano yet - in fact it's sat plugged in for the most part in a Sounddock in a room as I'm using the Touches most of the time - but I'm wondering if the Nano is finally finished properly so that I can just walk out with it without a case and for it to not look like crap in 5 minutes. I'm not expecting it to look pristine, you understand - but really for example like, well, a Sony.

I haven't bothered to get a skin for it yet, and wondered whether one was actually necessary for me to be able to see the screen after a while / for it not to look like a van with peeling paint after a short while.

Anyone have positive / negative experiences walking around with the Nano by itself so far?

ceres

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Dark Forests of Germania
I have / had a ton of uncased players from other manufacturers and for the most part, they've survived very well. I have a ~3 year old Sony flash player for example which is mostly clear plastic and still looks fine, despite spending time in pockets with keys, etc.

On the other hand, practically every iPod I've had so far looks like crap almost immediately after taking it out of the box without putting some sort of invisibleshield / case on, just by handling it. My 2005-6 iPods were the worst: They looked like a ten year old Sony after about half an hour inside a pocket.

Apple seems to have done a slightly better job of anodising on the Nano this time around, and this combined with the glass screen seems to me to be showing promise.

I've not really done much with my newest Nano yet - in fact it's sat plugged in for the most part in a Sounddock in a room as I'm using the Touches most of the time - but I'm wondering if the Nano is finally finished properly so that I can just walk out with it without a case and for it to not look like crap in 5 minutes. I'm not expecting it to look pristine, you understand - but really for example like, well, a Sony.

I haven't bothered to get a skin for it yet, and wondered whether one was actually necessary for me to be able to see the screen after a while / for it not to look like a van with peeling paint after a short while.

Anyone have positive / negative experiences walking around with the Nano by itself so far?

I also own a Sony NWZ metal player that has survived massive abuse and looks fresh out of the box so I know what you are talking about.
As for the 4G it is much better than the 3g Nano which was horrible and cheaply built to begin with. Crooked Screen, dents in the alu front upon minor drops etc.
I have owned the 4 g for 2 months now and it´s held up flawlessly thus far.
I take it to the gym a few times per week and there nano 4g came into some rough contact, took a few falls (1m on weight lifting rubber floor / against a few machines etc) and it´s holding up great. Finally Apple got it straight out of the box after how many yrs?

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Looking at the 4G I figured as much - that it likely wouldn't take the kind of wear that a Sony can, but it'd be much closer now. It's good to hear. Anyone have disaster stories? Peeling anodising, etc? Knowing Apple's 'quality control by marketing BS' I wouldn't put it past them but generally speaking Apple's aluminium finishing (although their obsessive use of it in areas it shouldn't be is something else) seems to be decent at the moment.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
So - twoish months later, I'm happy to say that it looks like Apple have finally managed to figure out how to anodise properly. The finish is now on a par with aluminium treatment on Sony players...

...Circa 1990.

PeterQC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
My friend got one of the 4G, and he transport it always in his pocket, no scratch for now, even if he treat it badly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.