Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
Hold up. I know the G5's back in August use the same HT technology (i guess spec 1 if this is "2.0") as the Opterons have been using since April.

This probably means that they are definitely prepping for a legitimate launch on the desktop--whether it be a speed bump or revision. A dual 2.2G5 is pretty much automatic and would not be much of a suprise if it was announced anytime soon.

I don't see why they would put this into the existing G5 system because that would lead to an entirely new motherboard...pretty much tossing ou the Rev B argument. New technology usually leads to a new product, not a simple revision...

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Originally posted by lind0834
New G5s any day?

I'm betting we'll see new G5's tomorrow.

Apple was probably just waiting for this announcement because they didn't want to release machines with the technology before the technology was officially announced.

VectorWarrior

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2003
If this is related to new powermacs then surely they would be available immediatly. If there is to be an announcement and then a waiting period why announce this now and not later when the units actually ship.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Originally posted by RBMaraman
I'm betting we'll see new G5's tomorrow.

Apple was probably just waiting for this announcement because they didn't want to release machines with the technology before the technology was officially announced.

Well, I don't think we will be seeing this in ANY machines for at least the next six months.

From the article:

Cavalli would not comment on when companies will come out with products, but sources indicate that products could start coming out toward the end of the year

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Originally posted by VectorWarrior
If this is related to new powermacs then surely they would be available immediatly. If there is to be an announcement and then a waiting period why announce this now and not later when the units actually ship.

What he said....

This is a major enough piece of new technology for there to be significant gaps between announcement and implementation. It's not a trivial bit of technology to implement, so there's going to be a signficant time for testing once they've nailed down the specs.

stoid

macrumors 601
The article has a little "products may have this technology by the end of the year disclaimer" at the bottom.

Maybe the 3.0 GHz G5 will sport it though?

If/when the G5 gets shoe-horned into a laptop, will in utilize all the awesome bandwidth features of the G5 desktop? It seems to me that it's the loosening of bottlenecks that really adds to the G5's speed.

The Dreaming

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2004
Chicago, USA
hmmm?

Do you think we'll see a PM update before this technology is implemented? I sure hope this feature is in store for the next G5 revision. Anybody see it happening?

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Yeah, I agree, I think it's a bit premature to think that Apple will instantly be coming out with new G5's that use Hypertransport 2.0. I'd love it, but I'm certainly not betting on it.

As to how this all calculates out, does anyone know if the current G5's are even close to max-ing out the current Hypertransport bandwidth? I'm also assuming that, like with FireWire or USB, Hypertransport 1.x can't be upgraded to 2.0.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Originally posted by jholzner
Well, I don't think we will be seeing this in ANY machines for at least the next six months.

From the article:

Cavalli would not comment on when companies will come out with products, but sources indicate that products could start coming out toward the end of the year

Wait...You thought I was talking about Hypertransport...LOL! Oh my Gosh! I so totally was talking about another technology! LOL! Oh my Gosh! I can't believe you fell for it!

<Silence>

<Silence>

<Crickets Chirp>

Yeah, I'm just trying to keep myself from sounding like a complete idiot. I guess I should really learn to read the articles before I start posting.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Re: hmmm?

Originally posted by The Dreaming
Do you think we'll see a PM update before this technology is implemented? I sure hope this feature is in store for the next G5 revision. Anybody see it happening?

completely ignored almost all the posts in this thread, didn't we? ;)

i echo the 3ghz system... but i don't think this will change the G5 form factor. It's not a new technology, just a new/improved standard.

paul

pilotgi

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
We won't be seeing any computers with this new technology for a while. It's going to do away with the agp slot.

Know anywhere you can get a graphics card that doesn't use agp or pci?

AVON

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2003
So...

How soon are updated G5s coming... I'm wanting to a top of the line in about 2 months...

andyduncan

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2003
Re: interconnects

Originally posted by kettle
what would this do for a cluster similar to the Virginia Tech setup?

Different type of "interconnect." Hypertransport is (primarily?) internal, ie it's for communication between chips on the motherboard of each computer/node, rather than a connection between nodes (such as infiniband). That said, it would make each individual node faster, and therefore increase the speed of the overall cluster.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
There are several benefits to this technology, most notably is for MP machines.

Think about this, the more bandwidth going in and out of the processor, the more data you can crunch. For example, getting to main memory is faster etc. (e.g. this isn't just between the CPU and main memory).

But, you say, isn't 12.8 gigabytes/second enough even for a 3GHz processor? For almost every application that would be more than enough even with 64 bit accesses. In all likelihood it would be pretty good for even a dual 3GHz machine, even using vector instructions, for 99% of the desktop applications. However, for dual or more processors, running at >3GHz, it might not.

I would say it would be particularly useful for things like Xserves used in a supercomputer where there is lots of data to be crunched. This would include things like the Virginia Tech machine, rendering farms (e.g. think Pixar) and the like. This is where most of the benefit would go. (It wouldn't help the speed *between* machines in the cluster, but would speed up each individual machine).

The other area it will help is for dual core CPUs when we see them. For example, you might have a two dual core CPUs which would roughly equate to a quad processor. They would need lots of bandwidth.

I'll be interested in seeing these machines whenever they come out - probably 9-12 months, although like everyone, I'd love a G5 PB (or an Apple branded cell phone) with it tomorrow. ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.