Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I'm a Verizon phone user and switching to AT&T for the iPhone isn't going to happen, I really do like Verizon's service.
So I've played with the idea of the iPod Touch cause the software is really what I want from the iPhone anyway. I am leaning towards this option (8Gb cause I have an 80gb Classic).

On the other hand, my current LG VX8300 is beat to hell and now would be a decent time to upgrade it to something nice, such as a Blackberry or new LG. Having real email on my phone would be useful.
The LG DARE has decent reviews.
The Curve seems more conventional to RIM's history (does what Blackberry does best).
The Storm doesn't interest me much because it's an iClone and basically it comes down to no multi-touch, no deal (among other shortcomings its bound to have when compared to the iPhone).

Any thoughts from users of Verizon Blackberry's? Recommendations?

lozanoj83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2006
Southern California
I say the phone
You need the phone than the iPod touch, quite frankly the phone is more important and well you already have an iPod classic, just get the phone and when you have more cash later on get a refurb or used iPod touch

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Verizon service sucks. All of my friends who have Verizon service complains. The Blackberry doesn't have full html email as far as I know (BB fanboys, don't kill me for this) correct me if I'm wrong.

I personally tried out the LG Dare, Vu, etc from a Verizon store. I tapped like 10 times on an icon and it didn't register. I tried fingernail, flesh, both, etc and on the 15th tap it worked. Multi touch? ehh... not so sure about that.

In either case, the iPhone has a bigger screen (this is important for many reasons) it can display the entire web page, vs. Dare's crappy browser, and BB's crappy browser. Glass screen, vs. Dare's cheap plastic screen, same with BB except the Storm I think. I'd say go for the iPhone, maybe buy a EDGE version to start off and see how you like it.

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
I have a BB Curve and an iPod Touch, I don't use the iPod much anymore (two months on) but I love having the BB every day :)

I say wait for the new (unannounced) Curve aka Javelin

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
So far some decent comments. Although, like I said initially, I'm not getting the iPhone. And if I did get one I wouldn't waste my time on the EDGE version.

Yeah the Curve is tempting and I'll have to look into it a bit. I think it may be the right choice. Perhaps one day in the future a Verizon iPhone can replace the Curve. Though I use "in the future" very loosely.

Verizon service is excellent. I know this firsthand.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
So Engadget just put out its review on the Blackberry Storm. And safe to say it was what I was expecting (as with all iClones). It's got a few features/gimmicks that claim to finally one-up the iPhone but thats all they are in the end, gimmicks. The click touch screen thing never seemed like a good idea, but mainly because I anticipated poor implementation or an overall just an aesthetic feature that is there simply to make it different (not taking into consideration if its a more efficient input method).

I hate this about the iClones. The iPhone killing feature that is really nothing but a talking point that becomes worthless when the masses realize it doesn't work as advertised. This is why I have little faith in iClones EVER knocking the iPhone off its throne, because you can copy/emulate/mimic and steal ideas, but c'mon... this is Apple you're competing with. And love'em or hate'em Apple tends to get things pretty damn right the first time around (with features offered and not the wish list features that people tend to voice i.e. Copy/Paste/MMS).
Looks like I'll hold off and just get a free Verizon phone upgrade in another month or possibly the Curve.

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
Verizon service sucks. All of my friends who have Verizon service complains. The Blackberry doesn't have full html email as far as I know (BB fanboys, don't kill me for this) correct me if I'm wrong.

I personally tried out the LG Dare, Vu, etc from a Verizon store. I tapped like 10 times on an icon and it didn't register. I tried fingernail, flesh, both, etc and on the 15th tap it worked. Multi touch? ehh... not so sure about that.

In either case, the iPhone has a bigger screen (this is important for many reasons) it can display the entire web page, vs. Dare's crappy browser, and BB's crappy browser. Glass screen, vs. Dare's cheap plastic screen, same with BB except the Storm I think. I'd say go for the iPhone, maybe buy a EDGE version to start off and see how you like it.

if you do some research, verizon actually has the best service across the US. it is probably just bad in your area. they have graphs on line that shows it almost beats att by 50%.

trust me if att was more affordable and more popular than just big cities, i would be on it.

but im holding out til verizon gets the iphone.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
So Engadget just put out its review on the Blackberry Storm. And safe to say it was what I was expecting (as with all iClones). It's got a few features/gimmicks that claim to finally one-up the iPhone but thats all they are in the end, gimmicks. The click touch screen thing never seemed like a good idea, but mainly because I anticipated poor implementation or an overall just an aesthetic feature that is there simply to make it different (not taking into consideration if its a more efficient input method).

I hate this about the iClones. The iPhone killing feature that is really nothing but a talking point that becomes worthless when the masses realize it doesn't work as advertised. This is why I have little faith in iClones EVER knocking the iPhone off its throne, because you can copy/emulate/mimic and steal ideas, but c'mon... this is Apple you're competing with. And love'em or hate'em Apple tends to get things pretty damn right the first time around (with features offered and not the wish list features that people tend to voice i.e. Copy/Paste/MMS).

Looks like I'll hold off and just get a free Verizon phone upgrade in another month or possibly the Curve.

I can't believe you buy into their opinions as "fact" October 8th they had a review saying just how great the click screen was. You can't trust the media. I believe this is Iphone 1.0. They compare the fact that they don't have an Appstore, when everyone knows they have thousand of blackberry apps already out there. People have short memories, Apple wouldn't even let you install 3rd party applications until 2.0

Click Type sucks? Well give it more than a day and then give your opinion. I hated typing on my touch until I realized HOW Apple implemented it. Having said that, I still have issues when I increase my speed, so even that's not perfect. Not even close.

Accelerometer? Please my touch would rotate just as slow sometimes begging the question, is it broken? I can't tell you how many times I've had to do the mash potato dance to get it to realize that I have moved.

Touch follows you as you move your finger on the nav screen? Do you really need it to? I never run my fingers over my touch. I see the app I want to start and I touch it.

If they didn't compare it to the iphone, which I understand why they did, how good would the phone be?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I hear you on some of these, but let me explain.
EDIT: Gizmodo's review of the Storm is up now too (similar verdict)
I can't believe you buy into their opinions as "fact" October 8th they had a review saying just how great the click screen was.
Buying into the "facts" that people like Engadget or Gizmodo provide is a firsthand experience from someone who has nothing invested in any company other than their publisher. I know it seems like the opinions seem skewered to love Apple and hate something else but based on my followup experience I tend to agree with some of the things they say. Othertimes I realize they (the reviewer) have problems with things that I could care less about. So I do, with a grain of salt, do believe these reviews. Yes I had read the Oct. 8 preview article, but those are the articles that are one day assessments.
Click Type sucks? Well give it more than a day and then give your opinion.
I honestly don't believe they write their review after spending one afternoon texting their friends. I have friends in SF PR/advertising companies that are the people that actually provide the early deliveries of these devices so that on launch day/review day the devices have been in the hands of these tech blogs long enough to give a proper assessment of real world use. These reviewers do this professionally it's not just some dude who is privelaged enough to get early gadgets.
Accelerometer? Please my touch would rotate just as slow sometimes begging the question, is it broken?
This doesn't really sway my decision at all, and I hadn't mentioned it in my reasoning either. And I know that the iPhone isn't perfect either.
Touch follows you as you move your finger on the nav screen? Do you really need it to? I never run my fingers over my touch. I see the app I want to start and I touch it.
Again, didn't mention this and honestly don't care about it. Though I have to say I think you're confused on this point because the Touch does not follow your finger around the screen. The Storm does.
If they didn't compare it to the iphone, which I understand why they did, how good would the phone be?
If there was no iPhone there would very likely never have been a Storm. Not comparing the two devices would leave a LOT of unanswered questions. The Storm is the Blackberry iPhone plain and simple and it is begging to be compared.

With that all said I hear you Citi and sure maybe after I go get my hands on the Storm I'll change my mind. But this review seems fairly un-biased and the poor execution of gimmicky features is something I've come to expect for people rushing things to market to compete with the iPhone or whatever other brands. We are witnessing a huge consumer smartphone battle going on at the moment and Apple has lead that charge.

Without the iPhone we'd still be using styluses, multi-touch wouldn't exist, and phone browsers would still be garbage.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
I have verizon and absolutely no complaints! My bro has a dare and he doesn't like it due to the face he txt's a ton and the touch screen is horrible for it. I want the dare though b/c I don't txt that much but want some of the smartphone features and awesome camera equipped on it.

BB are nice, but know that you HAVE to get a data plan if you get a PDA/BB phone. Plans w data aren't cheap w/ verizon unfortunately, which is why the Dare would be best choice since this isn't a PDA so no data plan needed.

good luck

msheldrick

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2008
just plain and simple, Do You Need a Phone? or Do You Need an iPod? i've personally never used a Blackberry though...

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
A quick note on the Storm, my colleague at work got one a few days ago and had no idea how to set it up, so I took it away from him for a few hours to set it up (20 mins) and play (2 hours).

As a Blackberry Curve and iPod Touch owner and being someone with iPhone and now BB Storm experience. I can now honestly say BB is catching up, I liked the Storm, a lot more than I thought. I also, being a BB addict, use the latest OS on my Curve (which isn't out in the UK yet officially) and can say it is much smoother, has html email, document viewer, better web browser etc etc.

BB and probably some other phone companies are catching up fast. I also think BB is remaining the professionals/geeks choice, the iPhone is too consumer directed.

masse

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
whatever you do don't get the samsung glyde. Every time I get a phone call I want to punch every single verizon employee in the face. Worst piece of technology ever made.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
whatever you do don't get the samsung glyde. Every time I get a phone call I want to punch every single verizon employee in the face. Worst piece of technology ever made.

lol I was picturing you (not that I know what you look like) getting a phone call and punching the nearest person and then answering the call hahah.. the glyde looked cool but yeah haven't played with it.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
If you need a new phone, then buy a new phone.

If you want a PDA, then buy a real PDA and not an iPod Touch which is a device that not really knows what it wants to be and falls short at everything it tries to do.

The software on the iPod Touch plainly sucks, and that includes Mail and Safari. Its music playback software does not even have a repeat function, you cannot create playlists offline, gapless playback is still unknown to Apple (you can -still- hear a break between tracks), it only plays Apple video formats, it has too little capacity to be really useful as a video player and to top it all, it cannot be used as a backup device or hard disk. I don't know what other software you need, but I still haven't found much good software for my rather technical needs.

It looks nice, but you won't see much of it because you have to hide it behind an additional cover. If you don't do it, it'll have scratches everywhere in no time.

Like I've said: If you need a PDA, buy something else. If you need a music or video player... Well, you said that you already have one, so it would be a waste of money to buy another one.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
So today is my birthday and you want to know what I bought?

JC-16RE%20AURA_f.jpg
JC-16RE%20AURA_b.jpg

A Martin JC-16RE. Rosewood sides and Aura onboard pickup system. Cause you know what? Gadgets are just going to get outdated and I don't like talking on the phone anyway ;)

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You can always put the guitar to your face and go "do you hear me now?"

=p

The software on the iPod Touch plainly sucks, and that includes Mail and Safari. Its music playback software does not even have a repeat function, you cannot create playlists offline, gapless playback is still unknown to Apple (you can -still- hear a break between tracks), it only plays Apple video formats, it has too little capacity to be really useful as a video player and to top it all, it cannot be used as a backup device or hard disk. I don't know what other software you need, but I still haven't found much good software for my rather technical needs.

LOL

Repeat: yes there is repeat

Playlist without computer: "On-the-go" playlist
http://www.techradar.com/news/audio/portable-audio/master-the-apple-ipod-touch-158065

Gapless playback: YES, if you bought something, or if you set it up properly, doesn't work for poorly made / pirated files.

Apple video formats: MP4 is not an "Apple" format. It's newer version of Mp3.
Video Capacity: 40 hours of videos that iPod touch can carry are not enough?

10,000 apps in the app store and nothing for your needs? That must be why top iphone / ipod touch developers are making 7 figures. Because there are nothing that users would want to buy. :rolleyes:

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
BlackBerry Bold, or BlackBerry Curve.

Check when the Javelin is available - its Bold features in metal Curve-like housing.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
So I ended up getting a BlackBerry Pearl as a free upgrade. I don't like it. This isn't easy to figure out, and the little scroll ball is meh on accuracy. Based on the talk of RIM's devices I was expecting a slightly more intuitive UI than this thing.

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
So I ended up getting a BlackBerry Pearl as a free upgrade. I don't like it. This isn't easy to figure out, and the little scroll ball is meh on accuracy. Based on the talk of RIM's devices I was expecting a slightly more intuitive UI than this thing.

poor choice man. the BB pearl was rated one of the worst phones EVER. take it back, pay the 35 restock fee and get the curve. you will be much happier.

skwij

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2006
Belleville, ON, Canada

Give the Pearl a chance. I've had mine less than 2 weeks and LOVE it. Check out crackberry.com for cool apps and a great board to browse, ask questions, and generally hang out.

Oh, and you do know that if you jailbreak and UNLOCK the iPhone, you could use any carrier's SIM card, right?

Back to the BB, go into Options and set your trackball speed. Makes a TONNE of difference if you bump it up to 80, rather than the default 70. Your "BB" button (the one to the left of the trackball) offers a wealth of choices in what to do depending on what app you're using.

Just be sure to CLOSE out of an app rather than just hitting the "back" button, or you will have lots of things open, and using memory, and sucking battery life.

PS

AWESOME guitar. Have fun playing with her.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.