PDA

View Full Version : Obama's a Mac

MacBytes
Nov 11, 2008, 04:05 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Obama's a Mac (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20081111170554)
Description:: The United States' 44th President will be a Mac user, as President-Elect Barack Obama and his children have been revealed as having two MacBooks for personal use. Newsweek notes that Michelle Obama, the soon-to-be First Lady, recently purchased the two MacBooks so Barack and his two daughters can video-chat while he is on the road, something likely to be frequent in his new position.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

JG271
Nov 11, 2008, 04:09 PM
Yeah, there's quite a few pictures on the net of him with macbooks and macbook pros. I love that pac-man he has on his mac!

What a great way to stay in touch with your daughters though!

bj3949
Nov 11, 2008, 04:22 PM
I think now he's going to end up being my favorite president ever.

-bri :)

Digital Skunk
Nov 11, 2008, 04:32 PM
Well.....

He and his family have to use something right? And it's either a Mac or a Windows PC.

I wonder what people's opinion of him be if he used Vista? :D

dejo
Nov 12, 2008, 10:47 AM
Obama's a Mac? No, he's a Mac user. The whole point of the "I'm a Mac... and I'm a PC" ad campaign was not to present Mac users and PC users but rather to personify the computers themselves. The fact that Microsoft responded with their "I'm a PC and I blah blah blah" campaign showed they didn't get it either.

soberbrain
Nov 12, 2008, 11:18 AM
Obama's a Mac? No, he's a Mac user. The whole point of the "I'm a Mac... and I'm a PC" ad campaign was not to present Mac users and PC users but rather to personify the computers themselves. The fact that Microsoft responded with their "I'm a PC and I blah blah blah" campaign showed they didn't get it either.

I agree. I never saw the Apple commercials as stereotypes for users, but as stereotypes for computers.

I don't know if Microsoft didn't get this or was hoping consumers wouldn't get it either and buy into their interpretation.

I do see a similar theme since Microsoft and McCain have campaigns that focused less on substance and more on building a general dislike and fear for the competition.

While Obama and Apple focused on facts and figures, i.e. McCain voting 90% with Bush and Microsoft's $300 million in advertising, instead of fixing Vista.

Kilamite
Nov 12, 2008, 11:37 AM
A white MacBook would go nice with the White House.

Luap
Nov 12, 2008, 12:04 PM
I hope they have better luck with video chatting on iChat than I do then.
Its riddled with connection issues these days :rolleyes:

SPUY767
Nov 13, 2008, 09:00 PM
I'd say it's an image play more than anything else. You know, the illusion of change and all.

MattOKC
Nov 14, 2008, 10:22 AM
Man, i wish I had bookmarked it, but I read an article recently that reiterated this Obama-Mac link, but not in terms of actual product ownership but in philosophical archetypes. Mac users, for example, were more likely to be Obama supporters, the article claimed, based on the archetype of the Mac as an icon of the divergent-thinker, the artist, the intellectual, the patron of cultures, the philosopher, who wouldn't follow a conventional crowd and preferred something of higher performance and emotional connection despite it being a nonconformist choice. The article said this ideology is reflected both in the choice of Macs as a computer, and Obama as a candidate (pointing out Obama's affiliation with Apple as a company).

Kilamite
Nov 14, 2008, 10:28 AM
Man, i wish I had bookmarked it, but I read an article recently that reiterated this Obama-Mac link, but not in terms of actual product ownership but in philosophical archetypes. Mac users, for example, were more likely to be Obama supporters, the article claimed, based on the archetype of the Mac as an icon of the divergent-thinker, the artist, the intellectual, the patron of cultures, the philosopher, who wouldn't follow a conventional crowd and preferred something of higher performance and emotional connection despite it being a nonconformist choice. The article said this ideology is reflected both in the choice of Macs as a computer, and Obama as a candidate (pointing out Obama's affiliation with Apple as a company).

Maybe this: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/04/technology/04link.html

The Flashing Fi
Nov 14, 2008, 11:00 AM

Probably the same as if he used a Mac.

Most people don't care.

And if you're trying to take a shot at Vista, educate yourself.

Kilamite
Nov 14, 2008, 11:45 AM

Most people don't care.

We're talking about people on the Mac forum wise guy - and it was a tounge in cheek comment. Educate yourself ;)

psingh01
Nov 14, 2008, 11:47 AM
Obama got an early 3G iPhone too.

RTiii320
Nov 14, 2008, 11:57 AM
I do see a similar theme since Microsoft and McCain have campaigns that focused less on substance and more on building a general dislike and fear for the competition.

While Obama and Apple focused on facts and figures, i.e. McCain voting 90% with Bush and Microsoft's $300 million in advertising, instead of fixing Vista.

Ridiculous, I'm not going to even leave a educated comment for you because you are making a horrible comparison.

Absurd.

Saladinos
Nov 14, 2008, 01:05 PM
Well.....

He and his family have to use something right? And it's either a Mac or a Windows PC.

If he used Vista, it would show people that he's got a high tolerance for pain and could brave the problems. He wouldn't just abandon them by switching :P

soberbrain
Nov 14, 2008, 02:01 PM
...a educated comment...

:rolleyes:

I guess I'll stick to making up slang names for new Apple products. You seem to like my opinions there...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=6434360#post6434360

FrankieTDouglas
Nov 14, 2008, 11:22 PM
Haven't most of the recent presidents used Macs?

Digital Skunk
Nov 15, 2008, 07:32 AM

Most people don't care.

Chill out dude. I wasn't taking a shot at Vista and if I was I'd be in my right mind. I have used it and it's not a very friendly or consistent OS. But that's besides the point.

I was taking a shot at the minor hype that people are making about Obama using a Mac, would it be the same way if he used a Windows PC.

Try relaxing a bit before posting comments. And find out what people are saying....

Or

Try asking for clarification before posting your little cute remarks about educating ones self. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

I guess I'll stick to making up slang names for new Apple products. You seem to like my opinions there...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=6434360#post6434360

Tis funny how people do forget what they say in past threads. Because his comments in that thread are truly ridiculous indeed.

jackc
Nov 15, 2008, 07:35 AM

Yes, what a nice example of self-congratulation

sangosimo
Nov 15, 2008, 09:40 AM
obama would be alot cooler if he used ubuntu.

iVeBeenDrinkin'
Nov 15, 2008, 10:11 PM
I guess you could say; Obama just works

spydr
Nov 15, 2008, 11:49 PM
I do trust him to think different (http://store.yahoo.com/lib/redlightrunner/thinkdifferent.mov) and act different.

http://www.olivo.net/dat/thinkdifferent.jpg

Michael CM1
Nov 16, 2008, 02:44 AM
If he used Vista, it would show people that he's got a high tolerance for pain and could brave the problems. He wouldn't just abandon them by switching :P

I would say Obama using Vista would make him not ready to lead on Day 1. You really think they could set up Vista-based computers in the White House and have all the anti-virus and firewall stuff set up on Jan. 20 while he's out partying at the inaugural ball? It would take months, no, years to set this all up! The horror!!!!! :)

Blue Velvet
Nov 16, 2008, 10:57 AM
Regardless of your political affiliation, there's an interesting article up on the New York Time's site about Obama, incoming presidents, and their use of email.

Sounds like President Obama might have to do the same thing that President Bush did which was to give up the Crackberry:

Mr. Obama is the second president to grapple with the idea of this self-imposed isolation. Three days before his first inauguration, George W. Bush sent a message to 42 friends and relatives that explained his predicament.

“Since I do not want my private conversations looked at by those out to embarrass, the only course of action is not to correspond in cyberspace,” Mr. Bush wrote from his old address. “This saddens me. I have enjoyed conversing with each of you.”

“How about that?” Mr. Obama replied to a friend’s congratulatory e-mail message on the night of his victory.

But before he arrives at the White House, he will probably be forced to sign off. In addition to concerns about e-mail security, he faces the Presidential Records Act, which puts his correspondence in the official record and ultimately up for public review, and the threat of subpoenas. A decision has not been made on whether he could become the first e-mailing president, but aides said that seemed doubtful.

For all the perquisites and power afforded the president, the chief executive of the United States is essentially deprived by law and by culture of some of the very tools that other chief executives depend on to survive and to thrive. Mr. Obama, however, seems intent on pulling the office at least partly into the 21st century on that score; aides said he hopes to have a laptop computer on his desk in the Oval Office, making him the first American president to do so.

Mr. Obama’s memorandums and briefing books were seldom printed out and delivered to his house or hotel room, aides said. They were simply sent to his BlackBerry for his review. If a document was too long, he would read and respond from his laptop computer, often putting his editing changes in red type.

His messages to advisers and friends, they say, are generally crisp, properly spelled and free of symbols or emoticons. The time stamps provided a window into how much he was sleeping on a given night, with messages often being sent to staff members at 1 a.m. or as late as 3 a.m. if he was working on an important speech.

He received a scaled-down list of news clippings, with his advisers wanting to keep him from reading blogs and news updates all day long, yet aides said he still seemed to hear about nearly everything in real time. A network of friends — some from college, others from Chicago and various chapters in his life — promised to keep him plugged in.

Not having such a ready line to that network, staff members who spent countless hours with him say, is likely to be a challenge.

“Given how important it is for him to get unfiltered information from as many sources as possible, I can imagine he will miss that freedom,” said Linda Douglass, a senior adviser who traveled with the campaign.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/16/us/politics/16blackberry.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Saladinos
Nov 16, 2008, 11:19 AM
I've always wondered why the Resolute desk (that's what it's called, NYT. Even I know that) doesn't have a computer on it.

The resolute desk is by itself quite interesting. Here's the wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resolute_desk) for those interested.

gauchogolfer
Nov 16, 2008, 11:23 AM
I've always wondered why the Resolute desk (that's what it's called, NYT. Even I know that) doesn't have a computer on it.

Is GW actually using the Resolute desk? There are 4 different desks that Presidents can choose to have in the Oval Office.

Blue Velvet
Nov 16, 2008, 11:26 AM
Is GW actually using the Resolute desk?

Yep. There's a clip on the White House site where he does a little tour of the Oval Office, talking about various paintings, decorations and pieces of furniture. He talks about the door in the front of the desk.

nick9191
Nov 16, 2008, 11:47 AM
I do trust him to think different (http://store.yahoo.com/lib/redlightrunner/thinkdifferent.mov) and act different.
You trust him to think different because he bought a Mac? All rich people have Macs, Apple has a 65% hold over the +$1000 computer market and an 80% hold over the +$2000. Everywhere you turn there are Macs. 30% is the latest figures for Apple in the consumer market, and if 30% of American consumers think different, then its not thinking different is it?

markgamber
Nov 16, 2008, 01:08 PM
You trust him to think different because he bought a Mac? All rich people have Macs, Apple has a 65% hold over the +$1000 computer market and an 80% hold over the +$2000. Everywhere you turn there are Macs. 30% is the latest figures for Apple in the consumer market, and if 30% of American consumers think different, then its not thinking different is it?

LOL...especially when the computer is MADE IN CHINA. Wow, that's SO different!