PDA

View Full Version : Well, that was fast. 750GB gone... like that!

fivepoint
Nov 11, 2008, 04:15 PM
A while back, I started a thread called "Storage Solutions for our OUT-OF-CONTROL iTunes Libraries (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=502415)". A few months later I decided on a library solution for myself which included 2 750GB hard drives which I found for cheap, one which would house my iTunes library, the other of which which would back the other up weekly. I also purchased a 1TB HD which I used to back up my iMac's internal 750GB HD through Time Machine and an Airport Extreme.

Well, 43,000 posts to the thread and several months time later, my solution now sucks. My 750GB HD is full! That went way faster than I thought it would. :(

Anyway, I suppose there is no real 'point' to this thread other than to serve as a warning to anyone planning their own storage solution, to er on the side of 'too much' as well as a place for people in similar situations to vent their frustrations.

rhett7660
Nov 11, 2008, 04:36 PM
Trust me I know what you mean. You should take a look at one people are building at avscience.com. Some of the media servers are just down right huge! 16 hard drives is considered small by some of the standards you will find over there.

I know I am going to be adding a lot more space in the future. Now that I have an apple TV and I like my movies well...... I know I am going to need more space and soon!

tom5304
Nov 11, 2008, 04:42 PM
I'm just entering the realm of backing up my DVD collection, and posts like yours scare me!

I just don't know if there's any point in me starting without two 1TB drives.

That Drobo system looks smooth and sweet, but am I really crazy enough to spend $600+ on backing up a bunch of DVDs? Well, maybe I am. :o

P.S. I just had to go back to Drobo.com and check out that demo video with "Cali Lewis." I'm pretty sure she wants me... :D:D

dynaflash
Nov 11, 2008, 05:11 PM
This is why at HB, while we have for the most part achieved dvd transparency for our atv conversions. We are now concentrating our dvd conversion options on speed/filesize while maintaining that transparency.

kjr39
Nov 11, 2008, 05:21 PM
1TB full here!

Woot

dbwie
Nov 11, 2008, 06:46 PM
After reading these posts, I swear I'm going to quit hoarding media and rent movies from now on. :D

GoCubsGo
Nov 11, 2008, 06:51 PM
Well what I don't get is if you own the physical DVD why bother ripping it? Or is that not the point? Is it a convenience thing? You never have to actually leave the couch?

BornAgainMac
Nov 11, 2008, 07:00 PM
Well what I don't get is if you own the physical DVD why bother ripping it? Or is that not the point? Is it a convenience thing? You never have to actually leave the couch?

Prevent scratches too. DVD swapping reminds me of the old days with floppies and CDs when using programs on the PC.

rhett7660
Nov 11, 2008, 07:06 PM

For me it is easy of use. Movies on the fly. I am not ripping all of my movies just the ones I know I will want to watch on a whim. Both me and the wife now, love the fact we can watch pretty much any movie in our collection on the fly.

Not having to leave the couch, could be. Sort of not wanting to run down to the video store instead you get netflix. Sort of like that for us.

GoCubsGo
Nov 11, 2008, 07:25 PM
I totally get it but I guess having owned DVDs for what ... 10 years give or take, I take super good care of mine and hardly loan them out.

wwooden
Nov 11, 2008, 08:29 PM
. I am not ripping all of my movies just the ones I know I will want to watch on a whim.

This is the mentality I take. I would very quickly fill up my drive if I ripped all my movies, but many I got very cheap, cheaper than renting and doubt I will watch again. I've ripped all my favorites; Star Wars, Back to the Futures, Indiana Jones, etc. I know eventually I'll fill up my drive, but this prolongs the time till that happens.

///alpinepower
Nov 11, 2008, 08:38 PM
A while back, I started a thread called "Storage Solutions for our OUT-OF-CONTROL iTunes Libraries (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=502415)". A few months later I decided on a library solution for myself which included 2 750GB hard drives which I found for cheap, one which would house my iTunes library, the other of which which would back the other up weekly. I also purchased a 1TB HD which I used to back up my iMac's internal 750GB HD through Time Machine and an Airport Extreme.

Well, 43,000 posts to the thread and several months time later, my solution now sucks. My 750GB HD is full! That went way faster than I thought it would. :(

Anyway, I suppose there is no real 'point' to this thread other than to serve as a warning to anyone planning their own storage solution, to er on the side of 'too much' as well as a place for people in similar situations to vent their frustrations.

This holds 11 TB and can grow substantially:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32344438@N06/3024035252/

I don't have a problem with space yet.

Dagless
Nov 11, 2008, 08:44 PM
I've been at the full end of my 300gb drive for a while now. Only rather than getting a new drive (I'd like a 1tb at least) I decided on removing repeatedly watched or downright rubbish films and TV shows from my collection.

rhett7660
Nov 11, 2008, 10:49 PM
This holds 11 TB and can grow substantially:

I don't have a problem with space yet.

Ummm.. what does? Is there suppose to be a link? Just checking.

Edit, found it when I quoted:

What kind of machine is it? What does it run? Back up etc? I have been looking into doing one of the lime technology nas boxes.

Michael CM1
Nov 11, 2008, 11:02 PM
I'm just entering the realm of backing up my DVD collection, and posts like yours scare me!

I just don't know if there's any point in me starting without two 1TB drives.

That Drobo system looks smooth and sweet, but am I really crazy enough to spend $600+ on backing up a bunch of DVDs? Well, maybe I am. :o

P.S. I just had to go back to Drobo.com and check out that demo video with "Cali Lewis." I'm pretty sure she wants me... :D:D

You need to download the GeekBrief.tv podcast. She'll want you every other day, and she actually does a halfway decent (o)(o) ... wait, what am I talking about? Oh yeah. She does a halfway decent job.

(Juvenile, but worth it)

tom5304
Nov 11, 2008, 11:19 PM
After reading these posts, I swear I'm going to quit hoarding media and rent movies from now on. :D

Exactly! Duplicating all my movies is just an OCD thing when you consider that for about $10 a month I can rent just about any movie ever made from Netflix.

The only reason to keep my own duplicates is if I think the world is coming to end, and Netflix with it, and I'll need copies of my DVDs in each of my concrete survival bunkers.

AJ1BostonMASS
Nov 12, 2008, 12:18 AM
So this is some what related to the thread but when i bought my macbook I could of gotten a 250GB hard drive but I thought 160GB should be fine 4 months later I have 80GB left.

Should have gotten the upgrade...

grawk
Nov 12, 2008, 08:03 AM
The why for me is easy. I have 4 kids. I have 2 tvs and 3 computers. Ripping my movies to the server gets me the ability to show them on any tv, keep kids from damaging them, and just general convenience.

I'm quickly filling my alotted storage too. I have 2 750gb drives (1 for video and 1 for audio) backed up by a drobo with 3 500gb drives. The drobo is full, the video drive will be full soon. Next purchase is a 1.5tb drive to extend the drobo.

ascender
Nov 12, 2008, 08:04 AM
I know exactly what you mean. Disk space is cheap, but something to house those disks usually isn't, whether you take the NAS route, server etc.

I've been ripping more TV shows than movies as we tend to watch those more often and repeatedly. With movies I'm just ripping the classics and ones I know I'll watch more than the once.

Starting out with a 500Gb internal iMac HDD, I replaced this with a 1TB internal drive but now have 1.7TB of a Drobo in use.

Definitely buy as much space as you can afford or something expandable.

ftaok
Nov 12, 2008, 09:20 AM
So this is some what related to the thread but when i bought my macbook I could of gotten a 250GB hard drive but I thought 160GB should be fine 4 months later I have 80GB left.

Should have gotten the upgrade...Yeah, but look at it this way. The money you would have spent to go 250GB from the start can be used to buy a new 320GB HDD and an external case. So you'd end up with a 320GB Macbook and a 160GB external HDD. Not sure what the money difference would be, but I'd suspect Apple would have charged at least $100 for the extra 90GB.

Swapping HDDs in Macbooks is super easy ... not Dell easy, but if you've ever swapped an HDD in an iBook, the Macbook is like stealing candy from a baby.

ft

Donar
Nov 12, 2008, 10:40 AM
My 750GB HD is full! That went way faster than I thought it would. :(
My 750 Gig Raid 1 is full also, as a quick fix i attached a 2 TB Western Digital Raid 0 drive over eSATA to my Synology NAS. The Kubuntu box has to hold the Backup for now. :)

Chris Rogers
Nov 12, 2008, 12:01 PM
I use the iPhone/iPod formats for HB when I copy my movies. If quality is not a HUGE concern try this. I play my movies on a 42" and It's just as good as putting in the DVD for me. The files are MUCH smaller (usually under 1GB each).

I know there are some people out there who want to see EVERY single detail, this solution isn't for you :)

CultHero
Nov 13, 2008, 12:36 PM
this is exactly why I went with Drobo. I knew I would spend more money upfront but growth was cheaper. I have already upgraded one of the 500 gig drives to 1 tb.

fivepoint
Nov 13, 2008, 01:21 PM
this is exactly why I went with Drobo. I knew I would spend more money upfront but growth was cheaper. I have already upgraded one of the 500 gig drives to 1 tb.

My main concern with going that route was that all of my data would be in one central unit... making the risk of loss due to power surges much greater. If I would have gotten one Drobo, I would have needed two of them! :) I was also hesitant being locked into a proprietary format.

That being said, look at me now... out of space, which could be easily fixed with a Drobo.

rhett7660
Nov 13, 2008, 02:42 PM
I totally get it but I guess having owned DVDs for what ... 10 years give or take, I take super good care of mine and hardly loan them out.

Don't get me wrong. Me to. I have had dvd's since day one.

But this is pretty darn cool. Being able to watch a movie on the fly.

Consultant
Nov 13, 2008, 03:53 PM
Perhaps you want a GigantiPod?

http://www.wiebetech.com/aprilfools/gigantipod.php

holds 1,250,000 songs. =)

Well I find no matter how much space you have, you'll find a way to fill it up. My PowerMac G4 has 6 internal drives...

AJ1BostonMASS
Nov 13, 2008, 06:01 PM
Yeah, but look at it this way. The money you would have spent to go 250GB from the start can be used to buy a new 320GB HDD and an external case. So you'd end up with a 320GB Macbook and a 160GB external HDD. Not sure what the money difference would be, but I'd suspect Apple would have charged at least $100 for the extra 90GB.

Swapping HDDs in Macbooks is super easy ... not Dell easy, but if you've ever swapped an HDD in an iBook, the Macbook is like stealing candy from a baby.

ft

thats true. It was 100 to upgrade it thats why I didnt go for it. Now my question it can my Macbook handle a 320gb HD?

DoFoT9
Nov 14, 2008, 05:43 PM
OP i know how you feel!!!

my current setup

MBP
Internal - 500gb (nearly used half of it in 2 months!!)
External - 2x 500gb, 1x1tb (1 50gb full, other 500gb half full, 1tb only got 200gb left).

time capsule 1tb. ~300gb left (used for computer backups from imac with 750gb, ibook and MBP)

everything is filling up so fast! i am seriously going to have to save some money and buy a large external enclosure. i do not have a backup solution for my current external HD's on my MBP, because i cannot afford it!!

i mainly store movies on it, my BluRay collection is getting larger and larger by the minute. i have probs only aroung 50gb of itunes music. not that large get, but it is growing.

DoFoT9
Nov 14, 2008, 05:44 PM
thats true. It was 100 to upgrade it thats why I didnt go for it. Now my question it can my Macbook handle a 320gb HD?

of course!!!

///alpinepower
Nov 18, 2008, 10:36 PM
Ummm.. what does? Is there suppose to be a link? Just checking.

Edit, found it when I quoted:

What kind of machine is it? What does it run? Back up etc? I have been looking into doing one of the lime technology nas boxes.

It is based on OpenSolaris and VirtualBox. The five visible drives are a RaidZ array. The machine hosts several other virtual machines and keeps things synched between 3 homes (via FIOS/Comcast/Time Warner).

DropBox, FolderShare, No-IP, Network Solutions, Google Applications, DynDNS fill in the gaps.

I looked at that Lime unRAID server - I might add that to a location as well.

Tomorrow
Nov 18, 2008, 11:12 PM
Whoa...I read the title of this thread and thought "750 GB gone" meant "750 GB disappeared coz of some kind of hardware/software screw-up."

Your problem is a better one to have (:

Capt Crunch
Nov 19, 2008, 07:01 AM

The potential of your scenario is exactly what prompted me to get a Drobo instead of a external drive for my movies.

fivepoint
Nov 19, 2008, 07:57 AM
Whoa...I read the title of this thread and thought "750 GB gone" meant "750 GB disappeared coz of some kind of hardware/software screw-up."

Your problem is a better one to have (:

Hahaha, yes, I agree! I'll just have to consider myself "lucky", right?

The potential of your scenario is exactly what prompted me to get a Drobo instead of a external drive for my movies.

That was certainly an option... However, due to the significant cost discrepancy and a few other things (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=6602110&postcount=24), I decided against it in the long run. Do I regret my decision? I don't know... I think if I had a Drobo, I'd almost have to have TWO of them, because I don't trust all of my content in one enclosure.

rhett7660
Nov 19, 2008, 08:09 AM
Perhaps you want a GigantiPod?

http://www.wiebetech.com/aprilfools/gigantipod.php

holds 1,250,000 songs. =)

Well I find no matter how much space you have, you'll find a way to fill it up. My PowerMac G4 has 6 internal drives...

This made me laugh! Too funny.

Capt Crunch
Nov 19, 2008, 05:06 PM
That was certainly an option... However, due to the significant cost discrepancy and a few other things (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=6602110&postcount=24), I decided against it in the long run. Do I regret my decision? I don't know... I think if I had a Drobo, I'd almost have to have TWO of them, because I don't trust all of my content in one enclosure.

You know what's going to happen right? In a few months, Drobo will go out of business and my drobo will self-destruct. I will then post a thread outlining my woes which you will post in describing how you envisioned my exact scenario and deliberately avoided it.

Keebler
Nov 19, 2008, 05:40 PM

this is a good point, but in the case of me, with 2 young kids - having DVDs ripped and in a box and the movies software accessible is the way to go. :)

To the OP, not surprised at the overflow. :(

Whenever I get around to doing this, I imagine a huge server with tons of TBs. More b/c i rip my CDs into lossless, but for the movies which i'll handbrake.

Then again, by the time I get around to it, they'll probably have 1 TB flash drives :)

fivepoint
Nov 19, 2008, 05:57 PM
You know what's going to happen right? In a few months, Drobo will go out of business and my drobo will self-destruct. I will then post a thread outlining my woes which you will post in describing how you envisioned my exact scenario and deliberately avoided it.

I truly hope not, Captain. I wouldn't wish that on anyone! Plus, if that ever happened I'm sure someone on eBay would be more than happy to sell you a new drobo for a few thousand dollars so you could retrieve all of your old data! :D

mkelly
Nov 19, 2008, 08:22 PM

I thought the same thing ... and then in a fit of madness I broke down and bought one (one of the 1st gen Drobos).

BEST. DECISION. I'VE. EVER. MADE. (at least with regard to computer stuff).

I didn't pay $600, I paid $375 (Canadian). Sure, it's USB 2.0 only (the newer ones include FW), but it's fast enough. Initially, I put two 250 gig and one 320 gig drive in there. When I started ripping my DVD collection that filled up quick. So I just added larger disks.

No reformatting, no moving files around ... just pull out the smallest drive and slap in a bigger one - and the space is available immediately.

Highly recommended.

Only downside: As a former system administrator, I too am paranoid about putting all my data in one enclosure. The only solution is to buy a second one, locate it somewhere on the other side of the country and back up to it nightly.

(that's not overkill, is it? ;) )

detz
Nov 19, 2008, 08:57 PM
Drobo scares me..I almost got one but between the countless bad reviews and just the price I've decided it's cheaper and safer to just buy drives. Think of it like this. The Drobo is $500 plus the drives so to get 2.7TB of data you need four TB drives plus the drobo. Lets say you get a deal on the TB drives at $100 each so that's $900 for a "Raid 5" array of 2.7TB of data. Now, take that same $900 and you can buy 8 1TB drives plus a decent enclosure. Now you can either due raid 1 or just mirror them yourself and your data is much safer and you have 4TB of data vs 2.7TB with the Drobo.

Scarpad
Nov 23, 2008, 12:48 AM
I just Had a 1tb go today lost pretty much everything on it, most I had backed up, some things not, but nothing totally irreplaceable. I've pretty much decided this is like chasing the Dragon, a Never ending battle of buying Hard Drives and Redundancy, and it's really not worth it to keep chasing it. I've decided I'll back up everything to DVD, and Use my ATV in a Syncing mode. Now that 2.3 has video Playlists I can make several nights of viewing lists and sync them over to the ATV, now to do that long awaited upgrade of its HD.

soLoredd
Nov 23, 2008, 02:43 AM
I got my AppleTV about 4 months ago and set out with the intention to put all my current DVDs into digital form and then just buy in digital format from that point on.

Now, I am not even close to have begun that project. I've put about 30 movies on my setup (served with a G4 Mini) but I just don't have the patience, or more importantly, the need to do all my movies. If I want to watch a movie I have on DVD, I put it in my 360 and watch it. If a movie is out I want to watch, I rent it through the AppleTV. I mainly am just backing up movies I know I will watch over and over again.

Maybe if I had a dedicated machine to backing up these movies, that would be different as I take my MBP to work on a regular basis. The Mini is just not good enough for that task.

///alpinepower
Nov 23, 2008, 04:30 PM
Drobo scares me..I almost got one but between the countless bad reviews and just the price I've decided it's cheaper and safer to just buy drives. Think of it like this. The Drobo is $500 plus the drives so to get 2.7TB of data you need four TB drives plus the drobo. Lets say you get a deal on the TB drives at $100 each so that's $900 for a "Raid 5" array of 2.7TB of data. Now, take that same $900 and you can buy 8 1TB drives plus a decent enclosure. Now you can either due raid 1 or just mirror them yourself and your data is much safer and you have 4TB of data vs 2.7TB with the Drobo.

well, and you're bottlenecked by USB. What if Drobo breaks - what do you do with the drives?

cenetti
Nov 24, 2008, 08:20 AM
Keeping Back ups is a bit*h....but necessary...

legacyb4
Nov 24, 2008, 02:22 PM
Nice. Looks like what Drobo does.

I have been looking into doing one of the lime technology nas boxes.

legacyb4
Nov 24, 2008, 02:31 PM
8TB drives AND a decent enclosure for $900?

I'd love to see some links for that hardware...

Now, take that same $900 and you can buy 8 1TB drives plus a decent enclosure.

legacyb4
Nov 24, 2008, 02:33 PM
I've been eyeing a Drobo for a while; is it really that simple for upgrading the drives bit by bit? If so, the time you save alone quickly makes up for the $500 or so that the enclosure would cost...

No reformatting, no moving files around ... just pull out the smallest drive and slap in a bigger one - and the space is available immediately.

Capt Crunch
Nov 24, 2008, 03:34 PM
I've been eyeing a Drobo for a while; is it really that simple for upgrading the drives bit by bit? If so, the time you save alone quickly makes up for the $500 or so that the enclosure would cost...

Only if you're adding a drive. If you remove a drive and replace it with a bigger one, the drobo can take a DAY to reorganize everything.

That said, I think it's worth it. I'll drop in a drive and let it chug overnight.

pagansoul
Nov 24, 2008, 07:22 PM
My MacPro has 4TB in its drives. I keep my music on drive 2 (18,719 songs + other stuff) 655 GB free. In drive 3 I have my TV shows and only 427 GB free. I have a lot of shows to rip and I don't think I'm halfway done. Hour shows take up just about 800MB each. The 4th drive is for my movies and I have about 550 GB free. Movies are between 1 and 2GB each and in some cases I have a smaller 'ipod' version. The first drive has all my programs and photos and has used only about 100GB of space. My backup are on DVDs and external drives. Been thinking about a Blu-ray drive for backup, they are now about $150 but the disc are still expensive but a lot less per GB than a HD and I would think safer. What I rip are the shows I always come back to, Disney, Science Fiction, some Comedy (love Scrubs). I'm a collector, I have thousands of DVDs and they take up way too much space, but I love them anyway. ;)

Earley008
Nov 28, 2008, 12:58 PM
I'm a student so i have no money to be spending on this so i have to get by with what i've got. My Macbook (which i got a year ago ditching my windows and i am so glad i did) has a 120GB i have around 30GB if that on there as i have been hesitant to add music. I use this for all my music which i rip to the itunes standard. I do that because i move my laptop around a bit and that way i always have it as i am really into my music.

I have got two external hard drives 80GB:( and 160Gb:( - I know rubbish - the 80GB i have been using for time machine and last week i started putting tv shows and movies onto my 160GB. When i need the space il ditch time machine and just back up my school work and that as a file. At PC World externals are so cheap so when i run out I will just get what i need.

The annoying thing is, being a student I have free time sat a my MAc after school and its so easy to rip movie and that i just leave it in the background as i work. lol.

I get jealous looking at everyone else's amazing setups of TB upon TB :D