PDA

View Full Version : Duel Six Core Mac Pro – When?

Chris7
Nov 11, 2008, 07:47 PM
According to Wikipedia, Intel is projected to release a six core version of the Nehalem in late 2009 or early 2010 (it’s the 32 nm shrink, called the Westmere). Suppose Intel releases it January 2010. How long of a lapse should I expect before a couple of these chips actually make it into a Mac Pro?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalem_(CPU_architecture)

As a side question, do you think 2011 will see a Mac Pro with duel eight core Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge_(microarchitecture)

Sun Baked
Nov 11, 2008, 07:58 PM
Look at the previous Dell Workstation release dates and the Mac Pro release dates in the Buyer's Guide.

Sometimes there is a lag between when the Mac Pro get the next compatible CPU for the currently used workstation chipset, and sometimes they ship them first.

Though with upgrades for the chipset itself, the Mac Pro tends to lag a bit.

---

Though knowing Apple, they might skip a generation of chipsets in order to get to the integrated north/south variant sooner.

Chris7
Nov 11, 2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks. I looked at the Mac Forums Buyer's guide and I did not find a comment regarding the 6 core Nehalem.

Though knowing Apple, they might skip a generation of chipsets in order to get to the integrated north/south variant sooner.

Would you expound upon what you mean by this?

Sun Baked
Nov 11, 2008, 10:27 PM
Thanks. I looked at the Mac Forums Buyer's guide and I did not find a comment regarding the 6 core Nehalem.

That is because the Mac Forums Buyer's guide gets you the Mac Pro dates, and www.google.com gets you the Intel Xeon and Workstation/Server roadmaps.

Looking around a bit more might get you some Dell volume ship dates to compare to the Mac Pro.

Would you expound upon what you mean by this?

Outside possibility, it isn't unusual for Apple to reach up or outside the box for a solution.

The MacBook line is a good example.

If there is a similar possibility for the Mac Pro with a good future roadmap I'd wouldn't be surprised if Apple jumped.

IroquoisPliskin
Nov 12, 2008, 04:22 AM
How long of a lapse should I expect before a couple of these chips actually make it into a Mac Pro?
When Apple decides to sell them.

As a side question, do you think 2011 will see a Mac Pro with duel eight core Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge?
When Apple decides to sell them.

Umbongo
Nov 12, 2008, 05:36 AM
It is far too early to say. We don't even know when the next Mac Pro will come. Intel can easily push release dates to better suite their finances as long as AMD are lagging behind. If 6 or 8 core processors replace those being used by the Mac Pro in Intel's line up then I guess you could expect them up to 2 months after release. If they are additional processors, like Clovertown was to Woodcrest then it's anyones guess. I expect it will be closer to summer 2010 than the end of 2009.

Chris7
Nov 12, 2008, 11:11 AM
Intel can easily push release dates to better suite their finances as long as AMD are lagging behind... I expect it will be closer to summer 2010 than the end of 2009.
I see what you mean here. They're already pushing back the Sandy Bridge, I guess for this very reason (below).

From Wik, "Intel's plans are to introduce new microarchitectures every two years, so this processor should debut in 2010. Intel has stated that they "are evaluating options to adjust Sandy Bridge schedule to ensure sufficient Nehalem lifecycle," and due to some Nehalem variants to be released in 2010, Sandy Bridge may be released later than originally planned."

Outside possibility, it isn't unusual for Apple to reach up or outside the box for a solution... If there is a similar possibility for the Mac Pro with a good future roadmap I'd wouldn't be surprised if Apple jumped.
Stilly trying to get you here. Are you saying that Apple tries to get the best chips ASAP and may try to get Intel to cooperate (ex., the getting Intel to develop the 3GHz iMac)?

Sun Baked
Nov 12, 2008, 06:23 PM
Stilly trying to get you here. Are you saying that Apple tries to get the best chips ASAP and may try to get Intel to cooperate (ex., the getting Intel to develop the 3GHz iMac)?

They will likely keep following the same path with the CPU, but don't expect them to always follow along the same path with the chipsets.

If Apple can ditch a major chip or two by going up a level on Intel's chart, down a level to desktop while still keeping 2 Xeon sockets and the majority of the current I/O -- or even going sideways to another chipset vendor is possible.

The MacBook is a prime example of Apple willingness to jump now to get what they need.

---

Basically, until Apple ships it we don't know. Just a more than likely date within 30-60 days of Dell shipping a similar workstation in volume.

Or you can sit there and bet the farm on a release to see Apple stand firm for a year while they shift to something else.