PDA

View Full Version : Apple Focusing on MobileMe Improvements in Latest 10.5.6 Builds

MacRumors
Nov 12, 2008, 12:25 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/11/12/apple-focusing-on-mobileme-improvements-in-latest-10-5-6-builds/)

Apple is still hard at work on the next version of Mac OS X 10.5.6 according to published reports (http://www.hmbt.org/blog/2008/11/11/adc-beta-mac-os-x-1056-build-9g35-seed-note/) on the internet.

The latest Mac OS X 10.5.6 (9G35) build appears to focus heavily on testing of MobileMe syncing features for notebook computers in various scenarios. MobileMe is the online mail, calendar, contact and sync services available to Mac or PC users. MobileMe's initial rollout in July was marred (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/08/05/steve-jobs-acknowledges-mobileme-missteps/) by poor performance, downtime and some data loss.

Mac OS X 10.5.6 also incorporates the usual laundry list of big fixes and other tweaks to the 10.5 operating system. Apple released the last update to Mac OS X in September (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/09/15/apple-releases-mac-os-x-10-5-5/). There's no timeframe for 10.5.6's release, but will be a free update to all Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) customers.

Article Link: Apple Focusing on MobileMe Improvements in Latest 10.5.6 Builds (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/11/12/apple-focusing-on-mobileme-improvements-in-latest-10-5-6-builds/)

JC4
Nov 12, 2008, 12:29 PM
Too little, too late. I let my subscription expire 11/5. I regret ever signing up 3 years ago, and believing improvements and great new features would ever appear. It was a waste of $300.

Bye-bye!

SydneyDev
Nov 12, 2008, 12:30 PM
How long have they been working on sync now?

plumbingandtech
Nov 12, 2008, 12:30 PM
idisk usually takes a long time to mount and slow to copy for me.
:(

I hope that's one of the improvements they are working on.

gibbz
Nov 12, 2008, 12:33 PM
Despite the rollout problems, I have been very happy with MobileMe. I am interested to see what comes of the 10.5.6 update.

BLACK MAC
Nov 12, 2008, 12:37 PM
When I first signed up it was really buggy. But after some time I do some major improvements done. I am a fan of it now. Hope for better improvements, especially on MobileMe websites.

plumbingandtech
Nov 12, 2008, 12:38 PM
Despite the rollout problems, I have been very happy with MobileMe. I am interested to see what comes of the 10.5.6 update.

Me too. I started using the sync (to my iPhone ) a couple of weeks after the buggy rollout period. Since then I have to say that syncing has been A+ for me.

For $99, it's worth the sync alone since it is transparent to me.

nyamanku
Nov 12, 2008, 12:39 PM
How do you know it'll be free? Did they say that? 'Cause that would be so cool. :cool:

dudup
Nov 12, 2008, 12:44 PM
I was happier on the .Mac era.

I really love iSync and iDisk, but they are so unreliable these days, and major CPU hogs.

At least everything is running great on the iPhone side -- which is no surprise to me, since it's Apple's the main focus these days...:p

PlaceofDis
How do you know it'll be free? Did they say that? 'Cause that would be so cool. :cool:

all 10.x.x updates have been free. the 10.x upgrades have always been the paid for ones. there is no way that this would change since its a bug and slight enhancement update more than anything.

dudup

The OS X update should be, not the Mobile Me services.

Ampidire
Nov 12, 2008, 12:47 PM
Been a subscriber since it was just .mac when I got my first MacBook back in '06.

I've never been a huge power-user of it, but have begun to use it a lot more since the MobileMe roll-out, of which I only suffered one day where my contacts on my phone weren't correct, otherwise it's been fine for me.

I plan to let my account renew next month.

crees!
Nov 12, 2008, 12:57 PM
This would be nice. I'm tired of my KeyChain getting @#$*@&'ed

MrCrowbar
Nov 12, 2008, 12:58 PM
Did they fix ATSServer? 10.5.5 introduced this bug that when Finder (or Preview, Spotlight, Quicklook) has to display a thumbnail for certain PDF files, the ATSServer process takes up all CPU power and the system basically freezes. You can't restart or do anything besides move the mouse cursor. This bug is on all my Intel Macs (Macbook, Mac Mini, iMac) since 10.5.5 and affect about 70% of the PDFs.

Seriously, this is worse than any Windows Bug I've encountered so far.

swissmann
Nov 12, 2008, 12:59 PM
I just bought another retail box to renew. I've been using it since it was free and called iTools (or something like that - I forget). I have about 25 websites published through it. I sync 5 computers and my iPhone. Two of my businesses use the iCal publishing. I use backup.app regularly. My clients proof my work through it. My off site employees use it to access files. When out of town I use back to my mac to get to things as needed.

I would like to see filemaker web server, PHP, SQL support added. Basically beef up the web hosting service.

I'd love to build a database in filemaker and hit a magic button like publish to iWeb and then have mobile me host it so that people could fill out web forms and have it auto populate my filemaker database.

Curious to see what iLife update improvements are around the corner to correlate with mobile me.

Daveoc64
Nov 12, 2008, 01:04 PM
"If you are working behind a firewall (ie. corporate proxy), we would like to know your experience with the syncing"

I hope there have been some improvements in this area.

My University network blocks anything like MobileMe sync, so when the computer tries to sync it ends up with SyncServer or dmnotifyd using up all the CPU which makes my battery die quickly.

I don't really expect the sync to work, but it would be nice if it gave up when it can't connect.

*GG*
Nov 12, 2008, 01:05 PM
I will believe it if I see it. As soon as my subscription runs out it will not be renewed. It is an appalling service.

ltldrummerboy
Nov 12, 2008, 01:10 PM
Good to hear they're still working on fixing it, but I'll just stick with DropBox and Gmail.

stockcerts
Nov 12, 2008, 01:23 PM
I am happy with the service, but there is room for improvement. There are many retailers that sell the service for less than Apple, such as Amazon. I believe I paid $75-.

Small White Car
Nov 12, 2008, 01:34 PM
.Me keeps my calendars, bookmarks, and contacts synced between my 3 macs and my iPhone.

This alone is worth $100 a year and it has yet to disappoint me. Anything else is does is cool, but is really just a bonus.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot about the online photo galleries. I've yet to see any other photo hosting service half as cool and simple to use. They really are amazing.

guzhogi
Nov 12, 2008, 01:35 PM
I've been a member off & on since the iTools days. Little buggy, but useful.

nyamanku
Nov 12, 2008, 01:38 PM
The OS X update should be, not the Mobile Me services.

:rolleyes: Oh, silly me, I misread it. Thought it said 10.6 or something.

Rivix
Nov 12, 2008, 01:47 PM
Sounds good! I still have problems with syncing.

koobcamuk
Nov 12, 2008, 01:51 PM
Good to hear they're still working on fixing it, but I'll just stick with DropBox and Gmail.

Dropbox is exactly how iDisk should be. iDisk sucks. I just use backup.app to backup my dropbox folder :)

Everyday I have sync conflicts that don't actually exist. So annoying.

iSee
Nov 12, 2008, 01:53 PM
Too little, too late. I let my subscription expire 11/5. I regret ever signing up 3 years ago, and believing improvements and great new features would ever appear. It was a waste of $300.

Bye-bye!

FYI, .Mac/MobileMe can generally be found for substantially less than the retail price of $99/year. For example, a year of MobileMe is $67.25 right now on Amazon.

You could have only wasted $200-$210 ;)

For my part, I find iSync, iDisk, and the web page hosting to be very useful, so it is well worth it for me. The cost works out to < 6$/month. The web site hosting is very basic, but it's all I need.

I don't use the email, though--gmail is much better--nor the other features.

soup4you2
Nov 12, 2008, 01:54 PM
I will still cancel my subscription in 02-2008, i was a happy of .mac subscriber since they started charging at the end of the iDisk era. But I've been plagued with nothing but constant downtime, incompatibilities, etc.. since they went to mobile me.

I just don't feel it's worth the $$ anymore comparing other services out there that are free and offer more.

xforce11
Nov 12, 2008, 01:59 PM
I would like to see iPhoto & iTunes Library syncing with MobileMe. I know 3rd party products do it, but not as well and clean as Apple would. I'd also like to be able to stream my iTunes Library (at home) to my MacBook at work or on the road.

dolphin842
Nov 12, 2008, 02:09 PM
MobileMe doesn't concern me all that much... what I really want 10.5.6 to do is fix the AirPort reception problems that Apple put in the last update :rolleyes:.

Bad Paper
Nov 12, 2008, 02:11 PM
$100? Who pays full price? You guys are crazy. Shop around. I just bought another year for $55.

kaiwai
Nov 12, 2008, 02:23 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/11/12/apple-focusing-on-mobileme-improvements-in-latest-10-5-6-builds/)

Apple is still hard at work on the next version of Mac OS X 10.5.6 according to published reports (http://www.hmbt.org/blog/2008/11/11/adc-beta-mac-os-x-1056-build-9g35-seed-note/) on the internet.

The latest Mac OS X 10.5.6 (9G35) build appears to focus heavily on testing of MobileMe syncing features for notebook computers in various scenarios. MobileMe is the online mail, calender, contact and sync services available to Mac or PC users. MobileMe's initial rollout in July was marred (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/08/05/steve-jobs-acknowledges-mobileme-missteps/) by poor performance, downtime and some data loss.

Mac OS X 10.5.6 also incorporates the usual laundry list of big fixes and other tweaks to the 10.5 operating system. Apple release the last update to Mac OS X in September (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/09/15/apple-releases-mac-os-x-10-5-5/). There's no timeframe for 10.5.6's release, but will be a free update to all Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) customers.

Article Link: Apple Focusing on MobileMe Improvements in Latest 10.5.6 Builds (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/11/12/apple-focusing-on-mobileme-improvements-in-latest-10-5-6-builds/)

I hope they're going to fix the wireless reliability issues, and more importantly, some of the bugs in Mac OS X which are making developers pull their hair out.

Btw, here are the seed changes:

http://www.hmbt.org/blog/2008/11/11/adc-beta-mac-os-x-1056-build-9g35-seed-note/

SpinThis!
Nov 12, 2008, 02:24 PM
I would like to see filemaker web server, PHP, SQL support added. Basically beef up the web hosting service.

And e-mail. If you could use your own domain for push e-mail, that would be excellent.

chairguru22
Nov 12, 2008, 02:58 PM
iPhoto updating is a massive fail. Albums "disappear" randomly. And somehow 380 pics turned into 450 with several duplicates. I have a free subscription right now and another code for one more year. Otherwise I wouldn't pay for this.

hihater
Nov 12, 2008, 03:01 PM
I think once Apple gets mobileme up to speed, it will be an awesome service. They should try and make it free or something as an incentive to buying a mac.

eashworth
Nov 12, 2008, 03:02 PM
Since opening MobileMe account, emails now arrive at my iPhone in a more timely manner. However, if I read an email on my laptop, it does not show as read on my iPhone. Is this the normal or is there something wrong with my setup? Thanks for the help.

SomeTechGuy
Nov 12, 2008, 03:30 PM
Since opening MobileMe account, emails now arrive at my iPhone in a more timely manner. However, if I read an email on my laptop, it does not show as read on my iPhone. Is this the normal or is there something wrong with my setup? Thanks for the help.

Yeah, that happens to me too. Don't worry. I don't think it's just you. I think it's rather normal at this stage.

twoodcc
Nov 12, 2008, 03:43 PM
i really hope that they get mobileme working better. espeically the syncing. infact, i think i've just about given up on syncing to actually work on my macs. maybe with 10.5.6, i'll give it another try

Digital Skunk
Nov 12, 2008, 04:15 PM
I just bought another retail box to renew. I've been using it since it was free and called iTools (or something like that - I forget). I have about 25 websites published through it. I sync 5 computers and my iPhone. Two of my businesses use the iCal publishing. I use backup.app regularly. My clients proof my work through it. My off site employees use it to access files. When out of town I use back to my mac to get to things as needed.

I'd love to build a database in filemaker and hit a magic button like publish to iWeb and then have mobile me host it so that people could fill out web forms and have it auto populate my filemaker database.

Curious to see what iLife update improvements are around the corner to correlate with mobile me.

I am right there with you man. This one man show freelancing thing used to take a big chunk out of my other jobs. Mainly maintaining my website and checking email and keeping things intact and synced. When I had to share files I did it through Box.net or email or snail mail.

Mobile Me helped consolidate all of those things and saved me some green.

I hope to see Apple get that "email PC users links that download files from your iDisk when clicked" feature off the ground. That would make MM take care of all of my distribution needs as far as my PC clients go.

Other than that, I would love a more professional looking Web Gallery and more robust website creation options in iWeb.

Other than the slow as molasses web app and the sporadic but rare downtime I have had no issues.

morespce54
Nov 12, 2008, 04:21 PM
I was happier on the .Mac era...
I was happier on the iTools era... ;)

Eric S.
Nov 12, 2008, 04:34 PM
I had minor problems with syncing at first, but an iChat session fixed it and I've had no complaints since. iDisk is very useful to me because I run both MacOS and Windows on the Macbook and it gives me a data repository easily accessible from either OS.

MSD401
Nov 12, 2008, 04:51 PM
it may not be worth $99 but its easily worth the $38.99 I just payed for a retail box on ebay...

Gregintosh
Nov 12, 2008, 05:19 PM
Two of my businesses use the iCal publishing.

Actually, MobileMe's terms of service prohibit its use in a business environment, if I am not mistaken.

Given the relative instability of the service and frequent downtime, I think it's a good idea to keep it that way.

On that note, I think it would be great if Apple introduced another tier of service for businesses. MobileBiz or something, maybe MobilePro. That could include more advanced web features to make it easy to create functional business websites (shopping carts, credit card processor integration, contact/order forms, etc.), the ability to make e-mail addresses for your employees (say 10, and then an extra add-on fee for each one above that), and finally included online collaboration (kind of like Office Live).

Finally, Apple could do a better job of hosting it to make sure its more reliable and faster than the consumer-grade MobileMe.

Of course it would be geared toward small to mid size businesses, such as individual consultancies or small (less than 10 or 15 man) operations.

Wow that would be sweet. I'd pay $249 a year for that!

Also, I agree with the other guys here. Paying $99/$149 for MobileMe may not be worth it to all, especially if all you do is use e-mail, but it IS worth $50-$75 for the individual account and $100 or so for the FamilyPack if you get it on eBay or another place and use synching, the iDisk, and some of the other features.

Horst
Nov 12, 2008, 05:56 PM
Syncing computers online ? Goodness, how can one be more stupid ...

ibosie
Nov 12, 2008, 06:03 PM
I was happier on the .Mac era.

I really love iSync and iDisk, but they are so unreliable these days, and major CPU hogs.

At least everything is running great on the iPhone side -- which is no surprise to me, since it's Apple's the main focus these days...:p

I'd like to know when they're going to provide enough bandwidth for iDisk to run faster than treacle. MobileMe is useless for anything more than a bit of text sync but the marketing would have you believe it can do so much more. Well yes it can if you don't mind waiting and waiting and waiting...

blairwillis
Nov 12, 2008, 06:07 PM
Actually, MobileMe's terms of service prohibit its use in a business environment, if I am not mistaken.

Given the relative instability of the service and frequent downtime, I think it's a good idea to keep it that way.

On that note, I think it would be great if Apple introduced another tier of service for businesses. MobileBiz or something, maybe MobilePro.

Wow. Great idea.

While I won't admit using MobileMe iCal sync for business purposes in violation of a TOS agreement... it would sure help if it were

RELIABLE.

Sync that doesn't sync 100% of the time, or at least report an error when a failure occurs, just isn't "sync".

I'd pay extra for a business-savvy mobileme, but I would sleep better if they just fixed the current sync.

Still having sync data loss. Often. Both with iPhone<->MobileMe iCal sync and with MacBook<->MobileMe iCal sync.

I guess it's the sheer contradiction of the situation that frustrates me most. The idea of an iCal sync between multiple devices is so great, but without 100% implementation, it's so not.

Anyway, to add to your MobilePro idea, how about a higher level of support, too? (Or how about giving us this now!) :confused:

rish
Nov 12, 2008, 06:33 PM
mobile me syncing has been working exceptionally well for me. No lag in updating information from any of my devices especially my 15inch flatpanel iMac2004. The new data is instantly visible. Massive improvement. It is the same for a friend of mine who recently purchased an iPhone. He's set up over the air syncing between devices and he's experienced near instant updates regardless of the device the change in info was made. No slow iDisk update either although some people in this forum are still experiencing issues. Sorry you people. I think the pain should almost be over.

MattQiu
Nov 12, 2008, 08:28 PM
please fix the iCal sync problem!!! it works fine with Tiger on my PB G4, won't work with Leopard on my iMac :( :mad:

hangfire
Nov 12, 2008, 11:38 PM
My 3G iPhone has never been able to post updates to MobileMe. Works fine when I update my contacts or calendar through either of my two machines. But the reverse is never true.

I've contacted Apple on multiple occasions to resolve the problem. Invariably, I get bounced back and forth between the iPhone and MobileMe help desks.

Last time, the iPhone person seemed incredibly unknowledgeable. She kept me on hold for over an hour, while telling me that she'd research my problem.

When she got back to me, I was told it was a MobileMe issue, and she transferred my call to their help desk. Again, MobileMe said it wasn't their problem and transferred me back to iPhone.

I am also generally down on Apple's products. For instance, I recently took my Mac Book to get serviced at the Apple store to fix a problem with my LCD. During the repair, the Genius accidentally blew out my hard drive.

Important files were lost. Why didn't I back everything up? Well, the clerk told me she would and burned a DVD -- only I found out too late that she burned an alias, not the files themselves.

When I notified AppleCare, they suggested that I hire a company to recover the data--at my expense. The Genius told me it wasn't in his job to help me but finally agreed to do so.

This has turned into a rather lengthy post. Sorry for getting off-topic, but in sum, I've lost much faith in this company.

~~~

Worth noting that I own a lot of Apple products -- MacBook Pro, Cinema Display, iPhone, iPod, Apple TV, Powerbook.

stephenli
Nov 13, 2008, 12:30 AM
instead, please make iCards back!!!
i just discovered iCards is dead while i wished to send a birthday card to someone...

MrCrowbar
Nov 13, 2008, 08:22 AM
I am also generally down on Apple's products. For instance, I recently took my Mac Book to get serviced at the Apple store to fix a problem with my LCD. During the repair, the Genius accidentally blew out my hard drive.

I have a 3rd party hard drive in my Macbook (larger, faster and less noisy than the stock one). I use the stock drive in a USB enclosure. Every time I give up my laptop for repairs, I put the stock drive with a freshly erased (disk utility, 7-pass erase or more if I have the time) and installed OSX in there, with default passwords to accelerate later troubleshooting.

I'm a bit paranoid here, the repair people might accidently destroy or lose the hard drive (confusion at repair facility, sloppy mailing service) and all my data would be gone and potentially at risk if someone gets his hand on it. FileVault is a joke, it's rather easy to circumvent and sometimes you lose your files because the encryption process is interrupted by hardware or software failure...

I use encrypted disk images for highly sensitive stuff, using highest encryption and strong random passwords.

PS: Back up your laptop everytime you leave your house, just conect to to your Time Machine backup drive and do "backup now" from the menu bar when you're having breakfast, shave, shower and whatnot.

ricosuave
Nov 13, 2008, 11:08 AM
I hope to see Apple get that "email PC users links that download files from your iDisk when clicked" feature off the ground. That would make MM take care of all of my distribution needs as far as my PC clients go.

This is one feature I really missed with the MobileMe upgrade from .mac

Since this download link never came, I've been using FileChute. http://www.yellowmug.com/

Digital Skunk
Nov 13, 2008, 12:10 PM
This is one feature I really missed with the MobileMe upgrade from .mac

Since this download link never came, I've been using FileChute. http://www.yellowmug.com/

Now this is kick @$$ for sure. Thanks for the link too.

lukin
Nov 13, 2008, 12:23 PM
I opened an account and immediately closed it when I realized MM didn't work with Exchange Activesync.

I don't choose to use Exchange, my work did.

I'll pay for MM when they get this working.

MrCrowbar
Nov 13, 2008, 01:43 PM
I hope they're going to fix the wireless reliability issues, and more importantly, some of the bugs in Mac OS X which are making developers pull their hair out.

Btw, here are the seed changes:

http://www.hmbt.org/blog/2008/11/11/adc-beta-mac-os-x-1056-build-9g35-seed-note/

I see "ATS" in that list. Did they Fix ATS Server now?
I had to downgrad a machine to 10.5.0 just to be able to use PDF files again.

Nov 13, 2008, 02:40 PM

Sounds normal to me. MS Exchange server is the only one I know of that does that. I have a Palm Centro running exchange (for work), gmail as imap, and me as imap. I don't use me that much (want everything said and done before I trust it for my emails), only for the webhosting part right now.

However for my gmail - I can read it on my mac and through the webmail portion and it updates correctly. However on my phone, it does not. I can delete everything from my gmail and the next time I sync my phone - it is on my phone.

I think the issue may be that once it leaves the email server, the phone device is updatng against the carrier server - in my case sprint.

Marvin1379
Nov 13, 2008, 06:55 PM
PS: Back up your laptop everytime you leave your house, just conect to to your Time Machine backup drive and do "backup now" from the menu bar when you're having breakfast, shave, shower and whatnot.

Surely you must be joking?! What do u have that is being constantly changed? Seems excessive to me.

Eric S.
Nov 13, 2008, 07:10 PM
Surely you must be joking?! What do u have that is being constantly changed? Seems excessive to me.

I think the point is that, for most people, unless backups are done frequently and regularly, they tend to become very infrequent and irregular. So when a failure does occur and a backup is required it's likely to be well out of date.

idrewuk
Nov 14, 2008, 04:30 AM
I've actually been really happy with MobileMe since the transfer from .Mac.

Been using it with my iPhone and the only slightly annoying thing is the slow, slow, slow transfer times when I drag files to my iDisk using Finder.

MrCrowbar
Nov 14, 2008, 05:48 AM

Well, I don't wanna think about if I changed somthing important or not. I like having the peace of mind, knowing that if I drop or lose my Macbook, the last backup is when I left the house. Also if you back up often, the backup process doesn't take that long.

I don't want to be that on guy crying in the subway because he just dropped his laptop, it doesn't go on again and and he's afraid for his data.

A nice additional feature for TIme Machine would be a secondary backup drive. Imagine you do the normal backup before leaving the house. Then you travel around and make some changes. You plug in a USB drive and it backs up only the things that have changed since the last big backup. This way, you can do backups on the go, too and the secondary backup driv can be much smaller than your system drive. Even a flash thumb drive would do the trick.

sneezymarble
Nov 14, 2008, 06:42 AM
I signed up with MobileMe a few days ago because I wanted to use the iDisk. It looks like I'll be searching for a different online hard drive. iDisk is painfully slow. I'm on a FIOS 50/20 connection and it takes 30-60 seconds just to upload a little 17KB document. No thank you! When I try to upload videos or photo archives of, say, 50-100MBs, I'm looking at well over an hour!

With my upload speed I've been able to upload 150MBs in 60 seconds to other services. Maybe MobileMe's syncing service is good enough. But, since I don't want it for that I'll pass on MobileMe. I like the idea of the iDisk being integrated into the OS but until they can offer a online storage solution that isn't ridiculously slow, I'll pass.

macbookairapple
Nov 14, 2008, 09:21 AM
Mobileme needs a bit more work but it will get there.

sfh
Nov 14, 2008, 10:33 AM
I think I may try it out once the update comes out... My wish is that they would allow people to use their own domain for email... I guess I could setup an auto forward to .me

hangfire
Nov 14, 2008, 10:51 AM
I tried backing-up my important files to MobileMe, when I took the machine in for repair.

iDisk would not connect in the store--the Genius shrugged and then suggested that she burn the files to DVD.

I have used Time Machine. But perhaps only once per week. I'm obviously doing it daily now, as I'm a student and need to back up my notes frequently.

Marvin1379
Nov 15, 2008, 02:29 PM
for me and for what I use MM for (up to date sync of contacts, events, and mail for starters) it worth 28 cents a day. I use backup.app to idisk for nightly backups of my documents and such. The iphoto intergration to the gallery is worth the money alone. It's a technologically advanced site that Noone I've seen has. Sure it has it's flaws, but it's come a long way from it's rocky start. It's headsand shoulders more functional than .mac ever wanted to be. And this is all coming from someone that has had issues with my data (contacts and evnts) disappear periodically. Mobile me support has been fantastic and very diligent to identify and fix the problem for me. There is so much potential for MM to be great and it will get there. I just renewed.

danny_w
Nov 15, 2008, 02:41 PM
I first bought a .Mac family account via eBay almost a year before MobileMe was released for $99, and it had enough issues of its own. Then when MM was released it was a fiasco. However, after 3 free months it has improved enough so that I renewed (single, not family) via eBay for $32; there is no way I would have renewed at $99, and the rest of my family gave up on it long ago. For $32 I consider it worth the price; for $99 it is a complete joke.

EDIT: BTW, one of the most touted features of MM is Push email on the iPhone, but it wastes battery so fast that I never use it. I can get 3-5 days of battery without Push; enabling Push drops that to about 1-1.5 days. To me it is not worth it, since I don't get that much email on my phone (or even use the phone all that much for that matter).

Digital Skunk
Nov 15, 2008, 04:07 PM
For me, .Mac was wonderful for its hap-hazard syncing and web hosting. Other than that it was a rip-off. iDisk was garbage to use on your own Mac let alone someone else's.

Once MM came out it fixed the iDisk at the expense of the webmail, but now.... it's so so.

I wouldn't trade it for any alternative, and it's worth the $99 if you make full use of the features.