PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G5 'this year'?

MacBytes
Feb 10, 2004, 08:05 AM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Powerbook G5 'this year'? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040210090558)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

Ambrose Chapel
Feb 10, 2004, 10:01 AM
Well, yeah. Isn't that Apple's official line on the PB G5? "What we'd like is to have one by the end of the year" or something along those lines?

aswitcher
Feb 10, 2004, 10:07 AM
Has to be sometime this year or their will be some seriously "upset" Apple users... Just a matter of how soon not if I think...

Ensoniq
Feb 10, 2004, 10:17 AM
The information bits certainly seem to be lining up for a PowerBook G5 sooner rather than later.

Especially this quote:

"In its brief 'Quick Reference' guide, IBM describes the typical working power consumption of the 970FX as: "12.3W@1.4GHz, or 24.5W@2.0GHz" potentially more impressive, and much less that the current processor's typical power needs of 51W@1.8GHz."

The 12.3W@1.4 GHz should be given special notice. The 1.33 GHz G4 used in the 17" PowerBook uses 10W. For only 2.3W more power consumption, a 1.4 GHz G5 could be dropped into the 17" PowerBook (if not the 12" and 15" models) pretty much immediately.

Some might say that the 1.4 GHz G5 isn't "fast enough" to be considered an upgrade for the PowerBook, but let's note:

1 - Though a 1.33 GHz G4 to a 1.4 GHz G5 doesn't look like a big jump, simply being able to say "PowerBook G5" is worth invaluable press to Apple.

2 - Apple's fastest G4 towers were Dual 1.42 machines. The fastest current PowerBooks only use a single 1.33 GHz processor. So basically, the PowerBook G4 today is STILL using a chip slower than the fastest Apple put into a desktop. So the fact that a 1.4 GHz G5 is slower than Apple's slowest 1.6 GHz G5 machine by itself doesn't mean Apple wouldn't use a 1.4 GHz chip in the PowerBook. Apple doesn't need to wait until they can cram a 2 GHz G5 into a PowerBook to release PowerBook G5 machines.

3 - If Apple were to release a 1.4 GHz PowerBook G5, the iMac G5 could be released simultaneously. Remember that Apple had the 1 GHz eMac, 1 GHz iMac, and 1 GHz PowerBook, all running G4s, out at the same exact time. The towers always need to be faster, but Apple has shown that they have no problem allowing the consumer machines to run just as fast as the PowerBooks. (At least the low-end PowerBook models.)

At worst, all Apple has to do is drop a 1.4 GHz G5 into the PowerBook, iMac, and eMac simultaneously, keeping the same price points, and the media would go crazy. If Apple can get higher speeds in the PowerBook than 1.4, even better. But a 1.4 GHz G5 for the eMac and iMac make them significantly better machines, and Apple shouldn't wait another 6 months to make it happen.

Just my opinion...no crystal ball here... :)

mrsebastian
Feb 10, 2004, 11:32 AM
drool :)...

mrgreen4242
Feb 10, 2004, 01:08 PM
Hi all -

This is my first post to this, or any Mac, board. (just for reference I am a PC user. Mainly use Linux tho, so not to evil. Planning to pick up a 12" iBook in the coming weeks). Anyways...

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the G5 have an insane FSB? From my dealings in the rest of the computer world, I would take a 1.4ghz cpu speed w/ 700mhz fsb over a 2+ghz cpu with 133mhz fsb ANYDAY.

Point being that a G5 with similar clock speeds should still be an significant improvement over a G4 machine, no?

Rob

Sun Baked
Feb 10, 2004, 01:31 PM
Just remember this is IBMs typical power, not the maximum -- and they are operating at 50% of maximum.

Since the G5 does generally operate in slewed operation.

Of course it's really hard to compare the power used in the G4 & G5 -- since they are using two different sets of software to develop their power usage numbers, and IBM typically hasn't included the Altivec unit in the past.

nagromme
Feb 10, 2004, 02:53 PM
I'm neither a pessimist or an optimist at the moment: I predict one more G4 revision, and then G5s in summer (maybe Sep.).

Photorun
Feb 10, 2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by mrgreen4242
Hi all -

This is my first post to this, or any Mac, board. (just for reference I am a PC user. Mainly use Linux tho, so not to evil. Planning to pick up a 12" iBook in the coming weeks). Anyways...

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the G5 have an insane FSB? From my dealings in the rest of the computer world, I would take a 1.4ghz cpu speed w/ 700mhz fsb over a 2+ghz cpu with 133mhz fsb ANYDAY.

Point being that a G5 with similar clock speeds should still be an significant improvement over a G4 machine, no?

Rob

Yes. Exactly. The G5's bus would make an insane leap for information throughput from the current G4 Powerbook. Not to mention faster RAM, yaddity yaddity. They could put a 1 GHz G5 in the Powerbook and it'd still be faster than the current G4 by all working theories. A G5 1.6 single processor with it's majorly crippled 333 MHz bus and other bizarre cheapness Apple did could still outperform in some tasks a G4 1.42 DP machine so the G5 has serious bandwidth to spare.

Now if only would Apple release these sooner than later. And hey, how about some new displays, aside from the cinema aspect the specs on them are lackluster compared to the industry and don't get me started on price.

aswitcher
Feb 10, 2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Ensoniq
The information bits certainly seem to be lining up for a PowerBook G5 sooner rather than later.

SNIP
Some might say that the 1.4 GHz G5 isn't "fast enough" to be considered an upgrade for the PowerBook, but let's note:

1 - Though a 1.33 GHz G4 to a 1.4 GHz G5 doesn't look like a big jump, simply being able to say "PowerBook G5" is worth invaluable press to Apple.

2 - Apple's fastest G4 towers were Dual 1.42 machines. The fastest current PowerBooks only use a single 1.33 GHz processor. So basically, the PowerBook G4 today is STILL using a chip slower than the fastest Apple put into a desktop. So the fact that a 1.4 GHz G5 is slower than Apple's slowest 1.6 GHz G5 machine by itself doesn't mean Apple wouldn't use a 1.4 GHz chip in the PowerBook. Apple doesn't need to wait until they can cram a 2 GHz G5 into a PowerBook to release PowerBook G5 machines.

3 - If Apple were to release a 1.4 GHz PowerBook G5, the iMac G5 could be released simultaneously. Remember that Apple had the 1 GHz eMac, 1 GHz iMac, and 1 GHz PowerBook, all running G4s, out at the same exact time. The towers always need to be faster, but Apple has shown that they have no problem allowing the consumer machines to run just as fast as the PowerBooks. (At least the low-end PowerBook models.)

At worst, all Apple has to do is drop a 1.4 GHz G5 into the PowerBook, iMac, and eMac simultaneously, keeping the same price points, and the media would go crazy. If Apple can get higher speeds in the PowerBook than 1.4, even better. But a 1.4 GHz G5 for the eMac and iMac make them significantly better machines, and Apple shouldn't wait another 6 months to make it happen.

Just my opinion...no crystal ball here... :)

Well I would MUCH prefer a G5 1.4 than a G4 1.42. G5 is the future with G5 specific software downt he track designed to run twice as fast, so I want that!

I really hope they push of the 15.2" first if they can't do the whole lot at once.

Well heres hoping....