PDA

View Full Version : GPhone 10 Percent Cheaper, Uglier Than iPhone

MacBytes
Nov 12, 2008, 03:16 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Reviews
Link: GPhone 10 Percent Cheaper, Uglier Than iPhone (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20081112161642)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

ZiggyPastorius
Nov 12, 2008, 03:22 PM
I think it's kind of to be expected. I'm getting an iPhone anyways, but if I wasn't, I'd perhaps take a look at this phone, atleast for a test drive, to see how nice it actually is to use.

BornAgainMac
Nov 12, 2008, 03:56 PM
10% uglier. That isn't too bad.

Kwill
Nov 12, 2008, 04:12 PM

Sounds like a backhanded compliment. If someone said you are 10% uglier than John Stamos or Halle Barry would you be flattered? :D

plan4
Nov 12, 2008, 04:25 PM
John Stamos? really? John Stamos.

cloudnine
Nov 12, 2008, 04:28 PM
John Stamos? really? John Stamos.

*snort* Haha... I was thinking the same thing. :D

deriko100
Nov 12, 2008, 04:31 PM
Its not that bad the black one looks cool, but the android platform ruins it it looks like a clunky japanese UI.

happydude
Nov 12, 2008, 05:15 PM
one of my coworks just bought the gphone or whatever it's being called. same one shown in the link. it's ugly and i'm not impressed. he likes it. he can also copy and paste. wow, what year is it, 2001? such revolutionary features!!

funnyent
Nov 12, 2008, 05:16 PM
the way it navigates doesn't look good at all. and the screen/keyboard is ugly. i'm sticking with my iPhone! :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

SnowLeopard2008
Nov 12, 2008, 05:35 PM
The Android platform, no doubt, will evolve. It still has remnants of the Windows Mobile look. The iPhone looks like a mini computer and the ability to access the web (like real web pages) the Android phone gave me the impression it dumbed each web page down.

nagromme
Nov 12, 2008, 10:57 PM
I just heard from someone who got a GPhone (I only looked at it briefly) that he likes his iPod Touch a lot better. (And someone else chimed in with the same thing about his Blackberry vs. his Touch!)

ecompuplus
Nov 12, 2008, 11:11 PM
Yeah, I think that the iphone looks much better. Looks too fragile.

joshcali
Nov 13, 2008, 01:01 PM

no, it's only 10% cheaper...
"10% cheaper, uglier than iPhone" means the 10% is just for price. Ugliness has no bounds...

robro182
Nov 13, 2008, 05:01 PM
I happened to be an mobile app developer (no shameless plug here) but we have remember that the GPhone is a device and android is the software.

Let's pretend for a moment Android running on the sexy iPhone 3G. Honestly, if I wanted "open" I would take the Apple OS and jailbreak it. Same stability and a much better development environment.

Google likes to build half-ass "frameworks" that do little more than save a few shameless hours of plugging away, where Apple builds a foundation and frameworks that allow developer to focus on function rather than form.

Android reminds me of my old Sparc station I had back in college. Apple constantly reminds me that I have yet to see everything.

Sayer
Nov 13, 2008, 06:07 PM
The Gphone is ugly. It looks like an original Palm Pilot w/slideout keyboard. The ads rip off the Ask.com "nagging" question ads. And the G1 ad is blatantly misleading as it shows the G1 playing video in a video playing app, which is not included in the phone at all. You have to go get a video player off the app store.

Muncher
Nov 13, 2008, 06:51 PM
I have wanted to try the android OS. I don't think it should be associated with the G1, which isn't the best looking of phones (I've seen much worse, but still). Comparing the design directly to the iPhone isn't fair, because Apple is the only company, especially in the current economical environment, willing to try a design that is "untested" in the marketplace. Besides, patents can cripple any company that does want to do so (not that patents don't have their place; I'm sort of biased because patents screwed my grandfather big time - think billions).

I don't expect that Google would release anything less than a solid OS.

nxent
Nov 13, 2008, 09:01 PM
my girlfriend told me she wanted to get the gphone. did i say 'girlfriend?' i meant 'ex-girlfriend'...

ntrigue
Nov 13, 2008, 10:39 PM
Ultimately, there will be other reiterations of the Google Android Platform; from the little I've followed in a few years someone will do a beautiful job.

SFStateStudent
Nov 14, 2008, 12:03 AM
my girlfriend told me she wanted to get the gphone. did i say 'girlfriend?' i meant 'ex-girlfriend'...

Also, my sentiments... LOL :D

Dammit Cubs
Nov 14, 2008, 03:55 AM
so i had a chance to play with one at best buy. and people are like "OMG, it has a keyboard...typing is so much easier". Ah....no it's not. I am so used to my iphone keyboard and i can type so fast that using a slider keyboard so slow. clunky and inefficient. Also, makes the phone ALOT THICKER.

1000000 attempts. 9999999 fails

Iphone 3g baby.