Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OnTheiTouch2G

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
:D In the form of a Sony iPod bluetooth adapter, Here

Its was very expensive, $66 at Best Buy, but as an avid Ipod listener and somebody who HATES wires, it was worth it. Pair it with a decent pair of wireless head phones with built in mic, that doubles as a headset for my phone. I've found the signal for this device to be much better than that jokers review on cnet, easily put it in your pocket or backpack and you're still good. I've found it starts chopping up at about 35 feet.

Anybody else doing this? All I see are posts desiring bluetooth, for this cost you have utilize it.

So, the noob question: If bluetooth were mythically unlocked one day off of the touch, what would that do that this doens't allow me to do?

Now the long shot question, any chance after some fiddling I can intergrate the mic on the headphones to use for the touch? :eek:

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2008
Got the Motorola Rockr headphones and adapter last Christmas. The adapter was $50 andthe headphones $130. but my distance is 55 feet in crystal clear quality and about 65' in static quality and after that the headphones shut off after 30 seconds due to inactivity.

dlstc

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2008
Me, too!

I use the wireless Jaybird headphones. They have their own bluetooth dongle. I get really great sound. I tried the Motorolas S9's, but they were too long. When I held my chin up, the bar on the back of my neck caused the whole set to shift.

I walked around NYC last week for hours enjoying my music. It's also great to be able to get up from my desk without worrying about wires or grabbing my Touch.

I also play white noise and can take a nap without worrying about rolling over onto my iPod, since it is over on the night stand.

Love it!
Diana

RandomHero180

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2008
did you all hear the about the 2g touch is gonna have its own bluetooth on an update? its built in but not activated, theres pictures of apple employees using somewhere in the forums, i saw it months ago.

OnTheiTouch2G

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
did you all hear the about the 2g touch is gonna have its own bluetooth on an update? its built in but not activated, theres pictures of apple employees using somewhere in the forums, i saw it months ago.

Thats the rumor of the day, but it remains to be seen. My guess is they won't unlock it, even if it is possible. They'll just make us all buy new ones. :apple:

I also play white noise and can take a nap without worrying about rolling over onto my iPod, since it is over on the night stand.

Eh, I've woken up laying on the stupid thing a bunch of times. You can't hurt these gadgets! :D

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
^ Umm no. Apple isn't that greedy. But that's what MS made me do for Vista and XP. But that's another long story. I can't wait til upgrade my 1G touch for the 2G. But seeing how my phones dying (an LG slider) I might just jump ship to the iPhone 3G.

zsft

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2008
ummm...great.

so now when will the ipod touch be able to connect to a bluetooth gps receiver and give me turn by turn navigation...hmm...

quick5pnt0

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2008
^ Umm no. Apple isn't that greedy.

What makes you think that? They made us pay for the latest update, what makes you think they wouldn't make us pay for an update that unlocks bluetooth? I think its pretty much guaranteed we'll have to pay for it.

kermit4161

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2006
What makes you think that? They made us pay for the latest update, what makes you think they wouldn't make us pay for an update that unlocks bluetooth? I think its pretty much guaranteed we'll have to pay for it.

I thought it was proven to be a rumor that the iPod touch had a Bluetooth chip. The Nike connection isn't a full bluetooth capable chip (what I read at least). But even if it is, Apple will still have to charge us to activate it... Just like they did when the N capability was activated in the Airport Extreme... There was some leagle licensing reason that forced them to not give it away for free. You can google it for the exact reason.

quick5pnt0

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2008
I thought it was proven to be a rumor that the iPod touch had a Bluetooth chip. The Nike connection isn't a full bluetooth capable chip (what I read at least). But even if it is, Apple will still have to charge us to activate it... Just like they did when the N capability was activated in the Airport Extreme... There was some leagle licensing reason that forced them to not give it away for free. You can google it for the exact reason.

Yea I've heard of that, not sure I buy it though since every other manufacturer gives out free updates all of the time without charging. I bought the PSP when it was first released before the browser was included, Sony gave me the update for free, I'm sure Apple could too.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Yea I've heard of that, not sure I buy it though since every other manufacturer gives out free updates all of the time without charging. I bought the PSP when it was first released before the browser was included, Sony gave me the update for free, I'm sure Apple could too.

no they are required by law if they add "signifigant" features, however they could chare $00.00001 if they didnt want to make money

Edit: also the reason the PSP is free is because ppl pay monthly for the iphone, so they are technically guarenteed a profit but no profit from ipods. if there was one model psp with a guarenteed profit to sony, the others would have to pay for updates.

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
Also have a Sony TMR-BT8iP, but got it as part of the DR-BT22iK kit for $150 (RRP in Aus. is $249).

Would using a bluetooth adaptor bring up the unsupported accessory message?

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
I've got a couple of bluetooth adapters for ipod that work. One came with my JBL headphones and the other is a standalone Motorola. While they both work, the JBL adapter only works with the heaphones it came with. The other problem is that both are lumps that currupt the sleek profile of my 1st gen Touch. I'd have upgraded instantly if onboard bluetooth would have come with the 2nd gen. I prefer my Samsung P2 for music primarily for it's great bluetooth. Apple should pay attention. The iRiver SPINN has bluetooth and the upcoming Cowon S9 does too. There's a Samsung P4 coming 1st quarter next year that will undoubtably have both WiFi and bluetooth.

OnTheiTouch2G

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
Also have a Sony TMR-BT8iP, but got it as part of the DR-BT22iK kit for $150 (RRP in Aus. is $249).

Would using a bluetooth adaptor bring up the unsupported accessory message?

Yes it works flawlessly, brings up no such message.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.