PDA

View Full Version : Apple Positioning iPhone and iPod Touch as Mobile Gaming Devices

MacRumors
Nov 13, 2008, 03:27 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/11/12/apple-positioning-iphone-and-ipod-touch-as-mobile-gaming-devices/)

In a recent interview (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122644912858819085.html) with the Wall Street Journal, Steve Jobs acknowledged that the iPhone and iPod touch "may emerge as really viable devices in the mobile games market this holiday season."

The sentiment also echoes comments (http://stuff.tv/News/Were-a-big-competitor-in-this-market-Apples-Joswiak-talks-iPod-gaming/11203/) made by Apple's Greg Joswiak, the vice president of worldwide iPod marketing, when asked about the state of iPhone and iPod touch gaming.I think you're going to see a wide variety (of games on the App Store). And they range all the way from casual to big time action games. This is where we are, less than four months into it. Squint your eyes and imagine where we will be in six months time, or a year. The graphics capablity is greater than the DS, we have multitouch, the screen is larger and there's an accelerometer. And we have the App Store. I think it's the future of gaming.The Wall Street Journal notes that Sega has sold over 500,000 copies of Super Monkey Ball and that about 25% of the more than 200 million applications distributed by the App Store have been games.

These success stories have started to attract big name developers, including id Software (http://www.idsoftware.com/) who is said to be working on two iPhone games at this time.

TouchArcade.com (http://toucharcade.com) covers the emerging iPhone gaming market which has recently seen the release of a wide variety of genres, including shooters (Defend!) (http://toucharcade.com/2008/11/12/defend-a-simple-but-effective-099-iphone-shooter/), 3D platformers (Armado) (http://toucharcade.com/2008/11/12/armado-a-3d-platformer-coming-to-the-iphone/) and retro remakes (Crystal Quest) (http://toucharcade.com/2008/11/11/retro-action-game-crystal-quest-comes-to-the-iphone/).

Article Link: Apple Positioning iPhone and iPod Touch as Mobile Gaming Devices (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/11/12/apple-positioning-iphone-and-ipod-touch-as-mobile-gaming-devices/)

DMann
Nov 13, 2008, 03:38 AM
This was certainly in the cards.

intel
Nov 13, 2008, 03:39 AM
Games on the iphone have ruined my life. My wife left me and my kids think i'm useless because i spend too much time playing. Bring on more games, i still have my life savings to spend to buy more games before my wife gets it all.
Woohoo, more games! (This is where i hope 2 wrongs make a right.).

danbirchall
Nov 13, 2008, 03:44 AM
It's interesting that SMB has sold more than half a million copies already. This bodes well for it eventually cracking the 1 million mark. Right now, Wikipedia lists only 8 mobile phone games (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games#Mobile_phone) as having sold more than a million copies. Of course, since the Touch isn't a phone, I suppose once something sells a million copies, it'll need its own section on that list, like the DS and PSP have.

Rybold
Nov 13, 2008, 03:47 AM
This has already been posted. More info...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=594635

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122644912858819085.html?mod=yahoo_hs&ru=yahoo

arn
Nov 13, 2008, 03:50 AM
This has already been posted.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=594635

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122644912858819085.html?mod=yahoo_hs&ru=yahoo

The businessweek article was slightly different. I think Jobs' comments are notable, as I've always heard that he's always been anti-gaming.

arn

teflon
Nov 13, 2008, 03:59 AM
I think the success of iPod touch/iPhone games is because iPod touch/iPhone are excellent multimedia devices by itself. There are far more people who like to listen to music/ watch videos on devices than people who like to play games. Only the avid game players want to carry a gaming only device with them all the time. PSP had multimedia functions, but they were nowhere close in terms of user interface. But now, all these people who carry iPods anyway to listen to music have access to games. So now when they're bored, they'll whip out their iPod and play a few games. I never had a DS or PSP before, and I was never really interested in games, but now I too play games on my iPod touch when I'm bored.

oyebto
Nov 13, 2008, 05:00 AM
how bout a comparison with the PSP? haha.. i think it has better graphics but no touchscreen.

CalmEnvy
Nov 13, 2008, 05:11 AM
Doesn't matter to me, I don't play games to much on my touch anyways. I mean, it's never going to see a game like Crisis Core or God of War on it. I'll be sticking with my PSP for portable gaming.

QCassidy352
Nov 13, 2008, 05:26 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I think the success of iPod touch/iPhone games is because iPod touch/iPhone are excellent multimedia devices by itself. There are far more people who like to listen to music/ watch videos on devices than people who like to play games. Only the avid game players want to carry a gaming only device with them all the time. PSP had multimedia functions, but they were nowhere close in terms of user interface. But now, all these people who carry iPods anyway to listen to music have access to games. So now when they're bored, they'll whip out their iPod and play a few games. I never had a DS or PSP before, and I was never really interested in games, but now I too play games on my iPod touch when I'm bored.

I'm with you there. I would never buy a stand alone mobile gaming device because it would see so little use. But if I can have it alng with my phone/iPod/PDA/etc, then so much the better.

nowonder24
Nov 13, 2008, 05:59 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I'm with you there. I would never buy a stand alone mobile gaming device because it would see so little use. But if I can have it alng with my phone/iPod/PDA/etc, then so much the better.

I'm with you guys, too.

And I wouldn't restrict this to gaming. As an amateur photgrapher, I would never buy a standalone camera with the specs and the dimensions of my phone. But as it happens to come with one, I have found myself using it from time to time.

Eric Isaacson
Nov 13, 2008, 06:19 AM
This is significant news, but I hope it doesn't dissuade other Apps from being worked on.
Some basic office functions Apps really need to be added to the Iphone to make it more viable for the business community.

Dagless
Nov 13, 2008, 06:20 AM
It's not a popular opinion here, but as a GBA, DS and PSP owner I'm not seeing the iPhone as a proper gaming device. It seems to have casual and high-score games by the abundance - but no engrossing games like the above 3 systems that suck time away.
The GPU is just a shard off the PSP's, yet the CPU is leaps ahead. But it's completely limited by it's main feature; the touchscreen.
Even gamings biggest legends at Nintendo couldn't make gaming fully touchscreen only as the DS also has buttons. Some games work without buttons (Zelda, Kirby) but some genres flat out do not work and will never work on touchscreen alone.

Don't get me wrong. I have a few games on my iPod Touch but it's certainly never going to impact on the traditional handheld gaming systems.

craig1410
Nov 13, 2008, 06:32 AM
It's not a popular opinion here, but as a GBA, DS and PSP owner I'm not seeing the iPhone as a proper gaming device. It seems to have casual and high-score games by the abundance - but no engrossing games like the above 3 systems that suck time away.
The GPU is just a shard off the PSP's, yet the CPU is leaps ahead. But it's completely limited by it's main feature; the touchscreen.
Even gamings biggest legends at Nintendo couldn't make gaming fully touchscreen only as the DS also has buttons. Some games work without buttons (Zelda, Kirby) but some genres flat out do not work and will never work on touchscreen alone.

Don't get me wrong. I have a few games on my iPod Touch but it's certainly never going to impact on the traditional handheld gaming systems.

Just wait until someone (possibly Apple themselves given SJ's recent comments) brings out a little gaming cradle into which the iPhone/iPod can be fitted to provide standard gaming controls. I think Belkin(?) had been rumoured to have such a device a little while back.

It's early days but I think we'll see the iPhone/iPod making huge leaps forward in the coming months.

Cheers,
Craig.

Astro8973
Nov 13, 2008, 06:52 AM
While I love my iPhone and use it all of the time, I don't play games on it very often. When I am bored I will whip out a game of Break or Tris, but that's it. When it comes to games, I want a real machine that can hook up to my monstrous tv. Until the iPhone can output video in 1080p, Support for surround sound, and play games that are equal to the games on the ps3 or 360; I will stick to my 360.

gkarris
Nov 13, 2008, 06:55 AM
They gave me Missle Command, where is Asteroids? :eek:

(runs off screaming...)

:D

Dagless
Nov 13, 2008, 07:10 AM
Just wait until someone (possibly Apple themselves given SJ's recent comments) brings out a little gaming cradle into which the iPhone/iPod can be fitted to provide standard gaming controls. I think Belkin(?) had been rumoured to have such a device a little while back.

It's early days but I think we'll see the iPhone/iPod making huge leaps forward in the coming months.

Cheers,
Craig.

That's the problem though, I'd rather not have to buy a secondary device for an already expensive product just to get the same level of control as a £30-120 dedicated gaming device. And then have to carry that product around too and cross my fingers, hoping that devs support a peripheral, potentially low-selling device.

xxii
Nov 13, 2008, 08:28 AM
The iPhone/touch will be a player in gaming. Will it be in the hard core gaming market? Probably not, but that market is not where the majority of the population is. It isn't all about graphics-- take the Wii for example. Not even close to the Xbox or PS3 visually, but very popular. Complex games with stunning graphics don't always equal more fun. Are there some good games that have great graphics? Sure (Halo, etc), but some of the most fun games are still the old classics (Asteroids, Mario, Tecmo Bowl). If developers push the limits and make good games for the phone/touch, we might see the gaming market change more toward the masses.

ph0rk
Nov 13, 2008, 08:36 AM
While I love my iPhone and use it all of the time, I don't play games on it very often. When I am bored I will whip out a game of Break or Tris, but that's it. When it comes to games, I want a real machine that can hook up to my monstrous tv. Until the iPhone can output video in 1080p, Support for surround sound, and play games that are equal to the games on the ps3 or 360; I will stick to my 360.

That isn't really the mainstream mindset though.

I've been in the "too much eyecandy, not enough gameplay" camp for a number of years, and some of the gems that people have produced for the iPhone are -very- encouraging.

kgeier82
Nov 13, 2008, 08:42 AM
it may have a similiar processor to DS/PSP blah blah blah...

but My DS got 20hrs of battery life. This, and sadly, the iphone will never touch. Which is why I see it as a quick-fix gaming solution, BEJEWELED2 here i come!!

that and there are no control pads, which lets face it, they can say "revolutionary" all they want, but come on. Its not on the same page as PSP/DS.

Kan-O-Z
Nov 13, 2008, 08:52 AM

Wow that's a fair comparison. Comparing a little iPhone to a PS3 or 360? That's like saying I'm not going to listen to music on an iPod because it's little speaker just doesn't sound like my 500W home theatre surround sound system.

Here's a question for you. Do you normally have PS3 or 360 on you while you wait in line for something so you can quickly whip it out and play a 1080p surround sound game?

Please don't compare Apples to Oranges ;)

Kan-O-Z

Scarpad
Nov 13, 2008, 08:56 AM
it may have a similiar processor to DS/PSP blah blah blah...

but My DS got 20hrs of battery life. This, and sadly, the iphone will never touch. Which is why I see it as a quick-fix gaming solution, BEJEWELED2 here i come!!

that and there are no control pads, which lets face it, they can say "revolutionary" all they want, but come on. Its not on the same page as PSP/DS.

I agree spend two hours gaming then your out of luck when you need to place a call.

liptonlover
Nov 13, 2008, 09:07 AM
the iPhone isn't the best gaming device, but the touch is. It gets a lot more out of the battery since you don't need to worry about any of the phone stuff. When I play galcon, that drains my batter pretty quick. But any other game is fine. And I think no keypad or buttons is fine... I've played a few games with the artificial pads and it works great for me, besides the fact that the other ways of controlling games are great too.

I don't want all the big names coming in and taking over the device though... that'll make it so much harder for us small guys :(

DMann
Nov 13, 2008, 09:46 AM

Also, you can combine features and functions - play a game while listening to your favorite music. The utilization of the accelerometer in combination with the touch screen has radically increased the potential of this platform - X Plane 9 makes flying seem more realistic than it does using most other gaming controls.

happydude
Nov 13, 2008, 10:29 AM
Wow that's a fair comparison. Comparing a little iPhone to a PS3 or 360? That's like saying I'm not going to listen to music on an iPod because it's little speaker just doesn't sound like my 500W home theatre surround sound system.

Here's a question for you. Do you normally have PS3 or 360 on you while you wait in line for something so you can quickly whip it out and play a 1080p surround sound game?

Please don't compare Apples to Oranges ;)

Kan-O-Z

i thought everyone carried around a gasoline powered generator on the bus or train during their commute to plug in their 40" plasma screen and xbox. i don't know what you do for gaming on the go . . . :rolleyes:

DMann
Nov 13, 2008, 10:40 AM
i thought everyone carried around a gasoline powered generator on the bus or train during their commute to plug in their 40" plasma screen and xbox. i don't know what you do for gaming on the go . . . :rolleyes:

I got mine hooked up to a generator on my 10-speed, rigged with solar panels, have a 45 ft. extension cord which I use while waiting on line at the bank, or while seated at a restaurant, and use a DieHard Platinum P-4 in the cart when shopping.

Rybold
Nov 13, 2008, 11:26 AM

It doesn't even have to be a cradle. It could even be a controller with a cord. Whichever option takes up less space in a person's pocket.

http://bp3.blogger.com/_XJseql2u5l0/R5vRglf4BGI/AAAAAAAAByY/HO2NcsB32ks/s400/iphone_game_controller.jpg
http://www.businessandgames.com/blog/2008/02/advergames_for_iphone.html

I'm with you guys, too.

And I wouldn't restrict this to gaming. As an amateur photgrapher, I would never buy a standalone camera with the specs and the dimensions of my phone. But as it happens to come with one, I have found myself using it from time to time.

Same here. I have a really good camera that I used to use all the time when I had my RAZR phone. But now, when I go to upload pics to my PC, I find I've taken more pics on my iPhone than on my camera. I think it's due to two reasons: 1) ease of uploading pics from iPhone (other cell phones aren't as simple to upload) and 2) it has a 2.0MP camera instead of that "joke" camera that my RAZR had.
On gaming, I don't own any gaming consuls, but I've found myself downloading and playing a few iPhone games when I'm bored. It looks like maybe the iPhone is converting non-gamers into gamers. Lol.

This is significant news, but I hope it doesn't dissuade other Apps from being worked on.
Some basic office functions Apps really need to be added to the Iphone to make it more viable for the business community.

I agree 100%.

tonyl
Nov 13, 2008, 11:28 AM
Wow, what an excellent idea! You'll see the mobile gaming market in 5 years.

hypermark
Nov 13, 2008, 11:36 AM
Clearly, the sweet spot for iPhone/iPod touch (relative to the dedicated consoles) are casual gamers, and everyone at some point of the day/week/month has a casual moment for which gaming is the antidote.

Plus, specifically because gaming is just one of the tasks that consumers use their iPhone/iPod touch for, the device is never far from their clutches – and their (virtual) pocketbook.

I see this truth play out several times a day, EVERY DAY, when my three and six year old sons ask if they can use my iPod to…play games, listen to music, view our photo albums, watch YouTube videos, use their favorite drawing program, etc.

It’s the classic low-end disruptor (Innovator’s Dilemma-speak), something that I blogged about in:

Apple’s Mobile Gaming Gold Rush
http://thenetworkgarden.com/weblog/2008/11/apples-mobile-g.html

Check it out if interested.

Mark

Rybold
Nov 13, 2008, 11:50 AM
I've been trying to figure out how to make a phone call from my PSP or take a picture. Does anyone know? Also, I can't find my iTunes playlists on my PSP either and the GPS seems to be broken. Can someone tell me how to do this stuff on my PSP? Also, I can't find the Youtube feature, Shazam, or check my stocks. Someone please help. Thank you. :)

OH, and how do you send a text message from a PSP ?

Forget it. I think I'm going to sell my PSP on eBay and just use my iPhone3G. :D

godslabrat
Nov 13, 2008, 11:53 AM
:DIt's not a popular opinion here, but as a GBA, DS and PSP owner I'm not seeing the iPhone as a proper gaming device. It seems to have casual and high-score games by the abundance - but no engrossing games like the above 3 systems that suck time away.

IF someone makes a real (and standardized) gaming cradle for the iPhone, then we might see it get some real credibility as a gaming device... otherwise, I agree with the above poster. The iPhone is good for casual games and not much else-- the control scheme is just too limited to play on the same field as the PSP, GBA, or DS. 99% of people that game on an iPhone will be buying one or two games to play on their lunch break... they will NOT become like PSP/DS gamers who have dozens of titles and buy new ones every month. I'm not trying to downplay the iPhone, but from a gaming revenue standpoint, I can't see it getting out of the minor leagues.

I'd say it's already outpaced the N-Gage, though.

twoodcc
Nov 13, 2008, 12:02 PM
i'm not so sure that the iphone and ipod touch will replace the DS or PSP, but there is no doubt that they are selling games on the app store right now. i hope the trend continues, with better games on the way

Spades
Nov 13, 2008, 12:04 PM
If we ever see a "gaming cradle" (which I doubt), I don't expect it to sell well. Aftermarket controllers never catch on, even when they're first party products. It's just too hard to get companies to make games that can't be played on the device and controls that shipped originally.

Rybold
Nov 13, 2008, 01:18 PM
There was a recent report that a large number of people carry both a cell phone and an music player.
Why not just carry one device, and have gaming and internet also?

Or. would you rather carry four devices? cell phone, music player, PSP, and a laptop ?

trunksu
Nov 13, 2008, 01:39 PM
i think my iphone is great for those quick games while waiting for a bus etc but it just doesn't compare to my PSP or DS.

sure someday you can probably buy an addon that will make the iphone a controller but you might as well just carry a PSP or DS around.

the battery life running games on the PSP and DS are awesome. i can't say the same about my iphone when playing games :(

am i against more games on the ipod/iphone? no. i've wasted plenty of time on playing games on my phone. the more the better. i just don't consider it a true gaming device that will truly compete with PSP or DS.

SandynJosh
Nov 13, 2008, 02:13 PM
I'm glad that most of the posters to this thread mention both the iPhone and iTouch in their comments, however that doesn't seem to be the case with most of the writers for whom the iPhone seems to be the only product they see as being made.

Even on the MacRumors site the term iPhone is used when both products can run the program the story is about. I suspect that sometimes only the iPhone is meant, but how is one to know?

Finally, I'm wondering how soon we may see a particular program to require an iPhone or iTouch with more than the memory of the smallest model sold? For example, why buy an iTouch that has more memory than the largest iPhone if (1) only one program at a time can run, and (2) programs are wrote to fit on both the iPhone and iTouch, therefore wrote to not use the full memory of the larger iTouch?

adamcz
Nov 13, 2008, 02:31 PM
Gaming platforms generally aren't defined by their technology, but by whether they have that one "killer app." It only takes one great game to justify the purchase of a console/handheld, as Halo did for the original xbox, and as Brain Age did for the DS, and for now it's just wait-and-see as to whether the iphone will get such a game. Monkey Ball gives a hint as to the potential for the platform, but it's no system seller.

I would put odds in favor of the iphone emerging as a legit gaming device (no prediction as to what demographic it will appeal to), but I guess we'll see.

Saladinos
Nov 13, 2008, 02:33 PM
This is hardly news - when the new touch was introduced, Apple advertised it directly as a gaming device ("the funnest iPod ever").

I don't think the devices will do well as gaming devices. The lack of tactile response really hurts their ability to do so. Games usually have a lot going on on the screen, so you don't have time to think about where the controls are. You feel them, you instinctively know where they are. The iPod/phone's controls are too variable. It becomes a distraction.

rockosmodurnlif
Nov 13, 2008, 03:03 PM

i'm not so sure that the iphone and ipod touch will replace the DS or PSP, but there is no doubt that they are selling games on the app store right now. i hope the trend continues, with better games on the way
I agree with these two.

I play games on my iPhone but I've yet to see anything worth putting the time into like I did with SOCOM, MLB '09 or Brave Story on my PSP. For instance, today I was on line at the post office and I started playing Solitare. That's the type of gaming I see prospering on the iPhone.

Though given X-Plane, maybe anything is possible but I have yet to see it.

datsun12
Nov 13, 2008, 03:33 PM
I've always wished that the home button on the iphone/ipodtouch could be enlarged just a bit and be used as a dpad.

craig1410
Nov 13, 2008, 05:02 PM
That's the problem though, I'd rather not have to buy a secondary device for an already expensive product just to get the same level of control as a £30-120 dedicated gaming device. And then have to carry that product around too and cross my fingers, hoping that devs support a peripheral, potentially low-selling device.

But the primary functions of the iPhone is phone, iPod and internet access - gaming IMHO is secondary. Who on earth would want to carry around something the size of a PSP to use as a phone? You would look ridiculous holding that up to your ear wouldn't you!! :rolleyes:

The idea of having a gaming cradle would be to provide the hard(er) core gamer with better controls, perhaps a built in battery booster and perhaps even a rumble device for better feedback. You could even build in more powerful speakers. I see there being a wide range of options from simple d-pad and buttons to more elaborate devices with a corresponding range of prices. Most importantly when you are finished gaming you can just pop out the iPhone/iTouch and pop it in your pocket.

I was previously tempted by the PSP and my kids have a couple of DS's. However I was put off the PSP by the fact that it was a gaming device primarily with some basic media playback functions and was too bulky to carry around easily.

As a software developer I am also very interested in iPhone/iTouch development, something which is just not accessible without serious expenditure on the PSP and DS platforms.

Craig.

rockosmodurnlif
Nov 13, 2008, 06:02 PM
I hope focusing on gaming isn't some sort of slight of hand to keep our attention away from the lack of copy and paste.

Dagless
Nov 13, 2008, 06:23 PM
There was a recent report that a large number of people carry both a cell phone and an music player.
Why not just carry one device, and have gaming and internet also?

Or. would you rather carry four devices? cell phone, music player, PSP, and a laptop ?

Because each of them devices does things better than the others. The PSP was designed to play games, this is why it has buttons and input to support such.
The music player was designed to hold a lot of music.
The phone was designed to make phone calls and send/receive text messages.
The laptop was designed to be a portable computer, replacing a tower so work can be performed anywhere.

The iPhone doesn't let you edit documents effectively, you can't seriously use it as a replacement computer.

Also - if the battery is drained then that's it. When I go out to visit my girlfriend at her university I have to spend 4 hours traveling each way. If the iPod dies I move onto my DS. And so on.

I've been trying to figure out how to make a phone call from my PSP or take a picture. Does anyone know? Also, I can't find my iTunes playlists on my PSP either and the GPS seems to be broken. Can someone tell me how to do this stuff on my PSP? Also, I can't find the Youtube feature, Shazam, or check my stocks. Someone please help. Thank you. :)

You can use Youtube on the PSP through (like the iPhone) an app independent of the web browser which supports more than just Youtube as well, you can also use Flash (though not the latest version of Flash). You can't get your GPS working on your PSP? I recommend contacting Sony and telling them your Go-Explore GPS unit (http://www.play.com/Games/PSP/4-/3433758/Go-Explore/Product.html) is broken. Also sounds like your PSP camera (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go!Cam) is broken.
If you can't check your stocks then I suggest you update your PSP firmware so the web browser can work.
iTunes not working? You could try using Missing Sync (http://www.markspace.com/missingsync_psp.php) if you really need it.

I'm not sure if you're being serious or just joking about.

funnyent
Nov 13, 2008, 09:28 PM
the games on iphone are amazing! and fairly priced. but people need to stop thinking of them as "call phone games" and more like psp games. So apple is doing a good job by advertising all of the games/apps now! Whhoo! Go :apple:

funnyent
Nov 13, 2008, 09:29 PM
Wow, what an excellent idea! You'll see the mobile gaming market in 5 years.

Yeah, its amazing how far it has come on just a year! go iPhone! Go :apple:

Rybold
Nov 13, 2008, 09:58 PM
Because each of them devices does things better than the others. The PSP was designed to play games, this is why it has buttons and input to support such.
The music player was designed to hold a lot of music.
The phone was designed to make phone calls and send/receive text messages.
The laptop was designed to be a portable computer, replacing a tower so work can be performed anywhere.

The iPhone doesn't let you edit documents effectively, you can't seriously use it as a replacement computer.

Also - if the battery is drained then that's it. When I go out to visit my girlfriend at her university I have to spend 4 hours traveling each way. If the iPod dies I move onto my DS. And so on.

You can use Youtube on the PSP through (like the iPhone) an app independent of the web browser which supports more than just Youtube as well, you can also use Flash (though not the latest version of Flash). You can't get your GPS working on your PSP? I recommend contacting Sony and telling them your Go-Explore GPS unit (http://www.play.com/Games/PSP/4-/3433758/Go-Explore/Product.html) is broken. Also sounds like your PSP camera (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go!Cam) is broken.
If you can't check your stocks then I suggest you update your PSP firmware so the web browser can work.
iTunes not working? You could try using Missing Sync (http://www.markspace.com/missingsync_psp.php) if you really need it.

I'm not sure if you're being serious or just joking about.

http://www.play.com/Games/PSP/4-/3433758/Go-Explore/Product.html (scroll down)
Hey! That video is pretty cool ! Thanks! :D:D:D

Thanks for all the links. That's pretty cool stuff. I had no idea the PSP could do all that. Nice!
Okay, so how does the graphics processor of the PSP compare to the iPhone, and what would we need to upgrade on the iPhone hardware so that it would be as good as the PSP on graphics processing?

ps... those accessories cost $100s extra though. (105gps, 30software, 75camera&software)

macbookairapple
Nov 14, 2008, 09:16 AM
I think the iphone/ipod touch can coexist with the DS/PSP and provide an alternative to them.

MorzillA
Nov 14, 2008, 03:09 PM
Now I know that we as humans tend to learn from other people's flaws and make old ideas new again, but some ideas tend to get way too much hype for nothing, I think that Steve has many good intentions for the iPHONE as having games on the go, but so has the other major phone companies. Let's be frank here, it was Nokia who first gave us the mobile phone/gaming device, sad to say it was not that popular but it opened the doors to other companies to follow suit and make an existing idea better.
About three years ago I read a report on the local newspaper that reported on games on the cell phones, many of those interviewed said that there were not "hard core" gamers and played games on their phones to "pass the time" while in line, or on the way to work/home on the bus, train, etc., and were not too enthusiastic about seeing phone companies catering to us gamers.
Even some gamers that were reported mentioned that they would prefer to play games on their handheld gaming devices not their phones due to the obvious (battery life, calling, texting, etc.,).
I agree even though I had many games on my Motorola V360 that where quite entertaining while I walked my dogs, or when I didn't have my PSP. but I rather play games on my GBA/SP or on my PSP.
I get more fun and play time on a device that is being manufactured to be just that, a handheld gaming device and nothing more.
I am sure that Apple has great plans for the iPHONE/iTOUCH but it has a very long and steep road to be toe to toe with the two power houses of handheld video gaming and they [apple] have yet to get started.

:apple:

Dagless
Nov 14, 2008, 06:26 PM
http://www.play.com/Games/PSP/4-/3433758/Go-Explore/Product.html (scroll down)
Hey! That video is pretty cool ! Thanks! :D:D:D

Thanks for all the links. That's pretty cool stuff. I had no idea the PSP could do all that. Nice!
Okay, so how does the graphics processor of the PSP compare to the iPhone, and what would we need to upgrade on the iPhone hardware so that it would be as good as the PSP on graphics processing?

ps... those accessories cost $100s extra though. (105gps, 30software, 75camera&software)

Yup, they're quite pricey but thankfully they don't come as standard. I'd rather not have a GPS and camera attached to a games machine, eating up battery life and bumping cost.
I don't know how the 2 compare but IIRC the iPhone has a GPU a little less than the PSPs, but since it's not running an OS behind the game the PSP is leaps ahead in terms of real world performance.

the games on iphone are amazing! and fairly priced. but people need to stop thinking of them as "call phone games" and more like psp games. So apple is doing a good job by advertising all of the games/apps now! Whhoo! Go :apple:
People will stop thinking that when Apple stop with the crazy claims. The iPhone/iPod Touch will do quite well in the casual market, and personally I just can't see it doing better than that.

Wireless Buddy
Nov 14, 2008, 09:46 PM
You have got to be kidding me. Apple is so friggen pretenious. An iPod is NOT a mobile gaming device, that's just dumb.

teflon
Nov 14, 2008, 11:12 PM
iPod touch/iPhone will never tap into the hardcore gamers' market, just like Macs will never tap into the hardcore gamers' market. However, it can become decent enough that the average person will just make do. Again, not many people actually carry around a gaming device because most people do not play games enough to justify the trouble. However, most people would listen to music, watch videos, look at photos, browse the web or make calls enough to justify carry around and iPod touch/ iPhone. Those are the majority of the population, and those are the people that Apple is trying to cater to. To them, iPod touch/ iPhone is a decent gaming device and Apple have a lot of potential in this market. People who don't play games often may have a hard time justifying the purchase of a DS/PSP, but an iPod/ iPhone could be exactly what they need. Some light gaming on the go, yet it would be useful for everyday life. It can become the best selling mobile gaming device, because it appeals to a larger market. Even if it doesn't replace a DS or PSP, some avid gamers may stop carrying around the DS/PSP as much because the iPod/ iPhone satisfy them enough while they're waiting in line.

MorzillA
Nov 14, 2008, 11:56 PM
iPod touch/iPhone will never tap into the hardcore gamers' market, just like Macs will never tap into the hardcore gamers' market....

I agree with your post completely. the fact that there are not that many games out now for the new Intel macs proves that Apple is not after the gaming audience. It's after the general populace, basically it's prying the costumers away from the competition, and from what I have read in many posts, I think it's actually working!

PocketGamer
Nov 17, 2008, 04:14 AM
Lots of good comments here. Speaking as a games nut, I'm really impressed with my iPhone so far. A lot of mobile phone games are actually not half-bad, but the iPhone makes them so much more accessible than on other devices, just like it's done with Internet access, email and so on.

If Apple is serious though, it needs to lock down the pricing. I realize this is a debate that is raging across all applications, but it's particularly risky to allow iPhone to be swamped with cheap games (http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Various/iPhone/feature.asp?c=9936).

The reason is game development will always attract bedroom heroes who want to be stars. They will pull down the price of games by being prepared to work for, basically, free.

That might sound good from a consumer POV, until you think of what it did for, say, PC Flash games.

PocketGamer
Nov 17, 2008, 04:22 AM
:D

The iPhone is good for casual games and not much else [...] I'm not trying to downplay the iPhone, but from a gaming revenue standpoint, I can't see it getting out of the minor leagues.

I'd say it's already outpaced the N-Gage, though.

I think these two statements aren't maybe compatible. I get what your saying (and think your most was very on the money) but I'd just question whether casual gaming and 'the major league' is incompatible?

In fact, games like Bejewelled and Tetris are worth hundreds of millions of dollars a year across various platforms. Even on the consoles, you see games like Buzz on PlayStation 2/3 and Brain Training et al on the DS selling incredibly well. I think it was Nintendogs that was the biggest seller for Nintendo in Europe a couple of years back.

I could agree with the statement 'iPhone will never get out of the minor league for hardcore gamers', but there are plenty of good games out already (Theseus, Bubble Bash, BloXor, The Stone of Destiny, and that Desktop Tower clone game (forget the name - Field Commander, for instance) that show the platform could have legs to more open-minded gamers.

MorzillA
Nov 17, 2008, 12:53 PM
If Apple is serious though, it needs to lock down the pricing. I realize this is a debate that is raging across all applications, but it's particularly risky to allow iPhone to be swamped with cheap games (http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Various/iPhone/feature.asp?c=9936).

....:confused: dang, and I used to pay $ 5.00+ for games via T-mobile's TZONES, I'll stick to ol' GBA games, at least I can get more out of them for the same price!

puffnstuff
Nov 18, 2008, 07:42 AM
I do believe that some day the iPod Touch will be marketed as a full blown gaming devices. The more good games the more they push it in that direction. Super Monkey ball and Spores they started calling it "The funnest iPod ever". They know they are dancing on dangerous territory with DSi and PSP s rather then flat out saying it's for gaming they are waiting for something revolutionary.

We have yet too see epic games for the touch because that takes time especially since games have to be solely played by touch and the motion sensor it takes a while for decent games to come out.

I do feel how ever the lack of controls hinders the gaming experience.