Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazyboy922

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
latley when i start up, it seems like it only fully loads about 1 out of 3 times. it either A. freezes up when it is at the startup loading screen, or B. just stays at a blank blue screen. Sometimes it will load but will tell me i have to restart. All this on top of it not coming back after an extended sleep period. does this happen to anyone else? I have repaired permissions, and used hardware check from the cd. thanks

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
yeah, contact apple or go take it to an apple store. milk the free technical service for all its worth while you are still covered.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Re: my new powerbook is making me angry

Originally posted by lazyboy922
latley when i start up, it seems like it only fully loads about 1 out of 3 times. it either A. freezes up when it is at the startup loading screen, or B. just stays at a blank blue screen. Sometimes it will load but will tell me i have to restart. All this on top of it not coming back after an extended sleep period. does this happen to anyone else? I have repaired permissions, and used hardware check from the cd. thanks
hey do you get a kernel panic? something that looks somewhat like this:
DSCN4053.JPG

mebbe you should try reinstalling panther, zap pram, reset open firmware, do all that stuff...
then again it'll be easier to just go to your local Apple Store or contact AppleCare...

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Then there's booting into single user mode and checking the HD out using fsck, sometimes it will take more than a couple passes to clear up some of the problems causing you problems.

lazyboy922

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
ubergeeked, yes that is the screen i get....

sun baked,

How do I go about doing this? I am still kinda learning all this stuff.

Thanks!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by lazyboy922
ubergeeked, yes that is the screen i get....

sun baked,

How do I go about doing this? I am still kinda learning all this stuff.

Thanks!
When you first boot hold down command-s

It'll boot into a text screen, once it finishes booting it'll say something about 'fsck -y'

Type it in and it'll run a drive check (though it'll probably tell you to run 'fsck -f' -- if so run that), if it finds a problem run it again.

When it comes through clean... type in 'reboot'

---

If there are drive problems the machine can hang, or be slow.

lazyboy922

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
You sure you're not using a Dell or something?

i wish i was, then i wouldn't have a problem throwing it against the wall :)

sun baked, i ran what you said, and it said things were ok. so I'll just cross my fingers. It seems like it happens now after it boots up. everything appears to be normal, but the cursor wont move. and i still sometimes get the restart dialog as well.

Applespider

macrumors G4
I had very similar problems with my new Powerbook 1.25 when I got it in January. It seemed to get worse as it got a week or so older.

I don't think the USB modem helped but it did continue to get kernel panics even without that loaded.

I bought mine from John Lewis in the UK who decided that it was likely to be a lemon. They offered a new replacement. I did check with the Apple store in the US when I was there recently before exchanging it since I wasn't looking forward to reloading all my info. But the Genius Bar advice was to try without the USB modem and if you're being offered a new one, take it.

So on Thursday night, I loaded my user library etc onto my iPod. Friday morning, got the new Powerbook and it's been up and running ever since. No panics, no problems waking up and a perfect screen (last one had 2 dead pixels)

rfenik

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2003
That's wierd. I haven't had a single problem with mine. Maybe you got a lemon.

-ko

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
You may have bad RAM -- this is a much more common problem then you might expect. Run the hardware test CD that came with the Mac. Pull the RAM from the bottom slot and try running it that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.