PDA

View Full Version : Willow Design Closing Shop & Having Huge Sale

MacBytes
Feb 10, 2004, 01:30 PM
Category: Deals and Coupons
Link: Willow Design Closing Shop & Having Huge Sale (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040210143051)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

iShater
Feb 10, 2004, 02:40 PM
Kinda sad to see small business go through this, but this is the global economy reality.

I am looking at the 12" iBook sleeves. Anybody have specific recommendations for which to pick? I need a compact one to carry in my daily work bag thingy.

nagromme
Feb 10, 2004, 02:51 PM
FYI, consider tombihn.com as an alternative for US-made bags.

nickmcghie
Feb 10, 2004, 05:45 PM
Two options would have been to drop our standards or ship our production offshore -- neither of which was acceptable. So we have decided to stop making the cases

what's so unacceptable with sourcing production offshore? it seems to me that they are implying that sourcing production offshore automatically means lower quality. unless they are egotistical american elitists, i honestly don't see why they would think that.

does U.S.-made always mean better quality? certainly not. look at cars, for example. the best cars are made in europe or japan. most of apple's products are made in taiwan, and i think most of us would agree that their products are among the best in the industry.

for the most part, most developed countires have manufacturing techniques and standards that are just as good, if not better, than the U.S. the only difference is that, thanks to america's labor laws and multitude of greedy labor unions, it is almost always cheaper overseas.

it's sad to see a small company like them go, but it's also sad to see their stubborness in refusing to make the economically logical decision to ship production offshore.

Keynoteuser
Feb 10, 2004, 06:01 PM
I think the real reason is that their stuff is so darn ugly that no one is buying it any more. There are PLENTY of expensive US bag makers out there, and their stuff just looks better.

0 and A ai
Feb 10, 2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by nickmcghie
what's so unacceptable with sourcing production offshore? it seems to me that they are implying that sourcing production offshore automatically means lower quality. unless they are egotistical american elitists, i honestly don't see why they would think that.

does U.S.-made always mean better quality? certainly not. look at cars, for example. the best cars are made in europe or japan. most of apple's products are made in taiwan, and i think most of us would agree that their products are among the best in the industry.

for the most part, most developed countires have manufacturing techniques and standards that are just as good, if not better, than the U.S. the only difference is that, thanks to america's labor laws and multitude of greedy labor unions, it is almost always cheaper overseas.

it's sad to see a small company like them go, but it's also sad to see their stubborness in refusing to make the economically logical decision to ship production offshore.

Wow get a life man.
YOU DON'T KNOW WHY THUS YOUR ENITRE ARGUEMENT REACHES A CONCLUSION WHICH IS UNFOUNDED AND THEREFORE FLAWED.

nickmcghie
Feb 10, 2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by 0 and A ai
Wow get a life man.
YOU DON'T KNOW WHY THUS YOUR ENITRE ARGUEMENT REACHES A CONCLUSION WHICH IS UNFOUNDED AND THEREFORE FLAWED.

hey buddy, did you even read their site? they said they couldn't compete because they believe it is unacceptable for them to drop their standards or to ship production offshore. i can easily understand why they would be reluctant to drop their standards, but it's puzzling to me as to why they refuse to ship production offshore. that's all i commented on

nagromme
Feb 10, 2004, 08:39 PM
Sending production overseas may be something they were unwilling to do for their own very valid reasons that are not strictly quality or cost issues. It's not hard to imagine reasons.

For instance, they may have wanted to run a company that gave jobs to Americans. Failing that, they decided not to continue. If that's part of their thinking, I can understand that.

They may also know (speculation) that conditions in their competitor's plants are not morally acceptable to them--and spending the money to make their own overseas plants more humane might be too expensive--like US manufacturing was for them. So again, sending production overseas would be unacceptable in that case.

millarj
Feb 11, 2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by nickmcghie

Which is probably why they make the bags in Canada and not the USA.

From their site:

All cases are made in Canada and are sewn in small batches by a single sewer to ensure the highest standard of quality.

Marble
Feb 11, 2004, 09:53 PM
Um... what I got from it was that their standards excluded the wage slavery that is typically enforced on workers in third-world independent economic zones. Irregardless of whether or not it was well built, how it was built obviously matters to these people, which guarantees them in my book at least a little bit of credit. Too bad to see principled people strangled by profiteering competitive economics (as if this sort of story was novel).