PDA

View Full Version : So I upgraded from a MB to a MBP ....

mysteriouschess
Nov 13, 2008, 10:17 AM
.... and loaded up my MBP by connecting MB to MBP using Firewire cable and transferring everything over. Sweet.

I had heard before I started that this might not transition Windows (as an "untitled" HD, segregated through Boot Camp) so I backed up Windows to a 500 GB EHD that I have for backups and just as expected it didn't transition.

Foolishly I had done no research into this before I started and decided that I would re-load Windows and just copy the backup folder of "untitled HD" to the new segregation. Little did I know that I cannot write to the "untitled HD"!!!

Is there any way around this? I actually own all the original software so it's not a piracy ploy here but I just don't want to have to spend best part of 2 days loading everything again as I did originally!!! Plus I use Windows mainly for Microsoft Visio and Microsoft Project and have a lot of flow charts and project plans saved in the backup which are almost useless if I cannot save them back to the "untitled HD".

Any ideas anyone?

I now know what I SHOULD have done (used WinClone or something) but I haven't so here I am :(

longmover
Nov 13, 2008, 12:19 PM
When you say you backed up your windows partition did you just copy all the files over to it or take an image?

If you copied all the files then you're pretty much stuck anyway, you'll certainly need to reinstall and manually copy all your stuff.

If you took an image then you might be able to restore it however I don't know how bootcamp would handle that, might need a bit of tinkering.

Either way the fastest way would probably be to do a clean install and copy the stuff over you need, sorry :(