Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 27, 2007
I am starting this thread for us to show off our MB accessories. In case you are thinking about "dressing up" yours too ;)

No Negative Comments Please! If you don't like it, move on. Do not post, we don't need your criticisms. :mad:

If you have something better, we'd love to let's see it.

I'll start by showing what I have: invisible shield, iskin keyboard cover and Intel SSD.

Attachments

• IMG_0245.JPG
    IMG_0245.JPG
    250.1 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0246.JPG
    IMG_0246.JPG
    368 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0247.JPG
    IMG_0247.JPG
    435.2 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0248.JPG
    IMG_0248.JPG
    718.5 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_0244.JPG
    IMG_0244.JPG
    453.2 KB · Views: 177

macalacka

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2008
Looks good, im liking the invisible shield. I've got two questions for you though:

1) is the invisible shield easily removable? Ive been looking for something similar to what the AMB came wrapped in to "temporarily" protect it as it crosses security checkpoints at the airport but don't want to risk any stickiness or dirt lines with a longer lasting system.

2) did you get the bottom covered as well?

Thanks, and good looking machine :)

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 27, 2007
1) is the invisible shield easily removable?

2) did you get the bottom covered as well?

1. Yes. It comes off very clean without any residue. But it's not re-applicable one removed.

2. Yes. It comes in a whole set (top, bottom, the sides, and a single-piece that goes all around your keyboard and track pad)

MacsBestFriend

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
upstate ny (purgatory)
Haven't bought yet, but...
2.4 Aluminum Macbook
Stock inside
Black AppleSac
Thingy that you put over :apple: logo to change color?
A cool background:cool:

I like the invisible shield! How much was the keyboard cover and how is it attached?:confused:
-Thanks!

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
That iSkin keyboard cover looks good and protective against spills. Do you have to remove it before closing the screen/lid? Does it leave marks on the screen? How does typing feel? Thanks :).

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 27, 2007
Do you have to remove it before closing the screen/lid? Does it leave marks on the screen? How does typing feel? Thanks :).

No, it would have been a pain if I had to.

A little, meaning I start noticing the marks in about a week. But the soft silicone definitely won't scratch the screen.

Take a little bit to get used to. After that I loved it, and it now feels really weird typing without it.

danvan21

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
i had the blackbook but i just got the aluminum macbook. I had the incase for my blackbook but they havnt made one for the aluminum and i doubt ill get it cause the aluminum is o cool. Can anyone suggest a good sleeve for this? I am going to get that invisible shield as well.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
That looks great!! How hard was putting on the invisible shield? I want the Incase hardshell cases for mine and I wish they would come out already. I'll have to check out that keyboard cover also.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 27, 2007
How hard was putting on the invisible shield?

Not too bad in my opinion. Start with the small pieces to get a feel of the material. Use lots of solution to make it easier to reposition the film. It is a bit elastic, so don't overuse the squeegee to stretch it.

Molopo

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
So instead of just using the wonderful protection provided by the macbook's aluminum casing, you'd rather use a piece of plastic, increasing thickness and making the finish tacky. If you're going to make your laptop look ugly, just get a cheaper and better spec'd PC.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
That keyboard "cover" looks awful. As for wrapping your computer in cling film... you're kinda spoiling what's nice about the aluminium, aren't you? The texture.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
So instead of just using the wonderful protection provided by the macbook's aluminum casing, you'd rather use a piece of plastic, increasing thickness and making the finish tacky. If you're going to make your laptop look ugly, just get a cheaper and better spec'd PC.

If anyone wants to do this, that's fine with them. I think it's a great idea and if the Incase Hardshell case doesn't come out soon I might go this route. The aluminum case is strong, but i don't want to risk scathing it.
If you don't want to put stuff on it, that's fine.

MacMur

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
California
Accessorize

I have the Invisible Shield on my MBA and I do not find the looks offensive. An additional benefit is that it does have a kind of non-slip property to it. My Aluminum Macbook is very slippery and I will certainly welcome the grip provided by the Invisible Shield.

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV

You've gotta be kidding me?!?! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Invisible Shield is NOT just a "piece of plastic." The protection it offers is AMAZING.

As far as the shininess, sure it's not for everyone, but then again I can give you people who find the aluminum not attractive, or the black frame around the LCD, or the chiclet keys, the point is that everyone has a different taste of style.

I'm also going to laugh when yours is going to get scratched to hell and back, who's is going to be ugly now?

Also, if/when he ever decides to sell it, he can take off the "tacky" invisible shield and it'll look brand new - guaranteed to net more money and a faster sale.

zotes24

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
i have been debating o whether to get this or not. But i think i am. The only concern i have is heat. My alum. macbook gets hot sometimes already (not substantially) but how does this effect that? (i am only going to put it on the Lid, Bottom of the laptop, and the left and right sides)(the palmrest i will leave exposed).

if i get this will anyone be interested in the palm rest/around the keyboard/mouse pad? i can let it go for like $20 shipped or something (not sure)

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
i have been debating o whether to get this or not. But i think i am. The only concern i have is heat. My alum. macbook gets hot sometimes already (not substantially) but how does this effect that? (i am only going to put it on the Lid, Bottom of the laptop, and the left and right sides)(the palmrest i will leave exposed).

if i get this will anyone be interested in the palm rest/around the keyboard/mouse pad? i can let it go for like $20 shipped or something (not sure)

Why leave this exposed? This is one of the most crucial areas IMO, my previous MBP had the finish start to pit / wear off since that's where your hands/wrists always are

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I am starting this thread for us to show off our MB accessories. In case you are thinking about "dressing up" yours too ;)

No Negative Comments Please! If you don't like it, move on. Do not post, we don't need your criticisms. :mad:

If you have something better, we'd love to let's see it.

I'll start by showing what I have: invisible shield, iskin keyboard cover and Intel SSD.

Was there some sticker over the SSD or did you get some intel SSD (I wasn't aware they were in the market there) and all others have a Samsung (apple branded) SSD?

Also, dude seriously ... you cannot be so sensitive. If people want to leave negative comments in a thread you started there is nothing you or the excessive use of VB code can do about it. :rolleyes:

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
no negative comments? what fun is that?!?!

BTW my Grandma invented Invisible Shield, in Boca Raton, FL., ca. 1966. She used it to great effect on her white crushed velvet sofa. She unveiled it, literally, at her annual "Terrace Tikis" finger sandwich party in '67, and was soon the envy of her entire bridge club. Back then she called it "vinyl". Mahvelous dahlink.

Funny how some people are convinced that scratches are inevitable. I just sold my 3 year old 12" Powerbook, which I had always handled with great care and kept in a sleeve (but did not suffocate with Saran Wrap). The buyer marveled at how pristine it was. I got top dollar for it too.

Knolly

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
I'm very definitely considering slapping on some carbon fiber looking material like this guy did.

EDIT: Decided to go for it and just ordered a bunch 'o carbon fiber stuffs. I'll start working on the template to have it lasercut in the next day or so, so that plus a heat gun ought to provide me with nearly full outside coverage.

Pieces:
-1 for top... Gonna cover the Apple logo, sorry Steve. I could easily cut around it but honestly would rather not have it there.
-2 for bottom: One on the main case, one for the battery cover. Will have to cut holes for the rubber feet plus the latch.
-1 to go around all of the sides, starting and stopping at the black hinge. This one will be tricky due to ports and whatnot...

HOPEFULLY with the aid of a heatgun I'll be able to get the bezel around the screen with the top piece as well, but we'll see.

SWLinPHX

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
It comes in a whole set (top, bottom, the sides, and a single-piece that goes all around your keyboard and track pad)

I bought this for screen-protecting my Garmin nuvi GPS devices. The material has a shine and grippiness to it that I really love, and the stylus works fine thru it. To clarify though, are you talking about the Invisible Shield from Zagg.com at the following link?

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/apple-macbook-pro-15-inch-2nd-gen-cases-covers-skins-shields.php It reads:

"Full Body coverage: Top, bottom, wrist rest, track pad and mouse button(s)*.
* Some designs do not include mouse button coverage.
The invisibleSHIELD is not compatible with laptop LCD screens and does not cover them."

It says nothing about the sides as you mentioned. Could you clarify? Also, do you see any link or mention of a full-body set for the new aluminum MacBooks and MacBook Pros?

SWLinPHX

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
i had the blackbook but i just got the aluminum macbook. I had the incase for my blackbook but they havnt made one for the aluminum and i doubt ill get it cause the aluminum is o cool. Can anyone suggest a good sleeve for this? I am going to get that invisible shield as well.

This is pretty similar to the Incase shell and doesn't interfere with tilting screen all the way back ...and it is available now for the new aluminum MacBooks!

http://www.speckproducts.com/products/seethru/macbook-pro-15-new-black-keys/160

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.