Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2008
I am going from a Dell Laptop I had for 2 years to a new Macbook. My battery on my Dell stopped working only after 1 year. I hardly used the battery as I had my laptop plugged into an outlet. I am wondering if I overcharged the battery and thats why it stopped working. My question is, is it possible to overcharge the battery in a Macbook? Would it be wise to use the battery until it dies and then just recharge it and just use the Macbook plugged in at that time when it's recharging the battery? Thanks

soberbrain

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2008
Notebook batteries are made to be used. Keeping it plugged in all the time will decrease the health of the battery. It would be good to drain completely and charge completely once a month. If your battery is less than 300 charge cycles and less than 80%, Apple may replace your battery.

More info here: http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2008
Thanks for the quick reply. When I go to bed or go to work for the day, is it wise for me to just leave the Macbook plugged in and running? or is it best if I shut it down? I just want to make sure I treat my battery the best I can so it can last.

soberbrain

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2008
You're welcome :)

When you go to sleep, your Mac should go to sleep, too. (You can keep it plugged in while sleeping)

Some people turn it off, but I feel that wears a computer down more, over time, than just letting it sleep and use little power.

Your battery will decrease as time goes. You can only slow down this decrease by using it regularly on battery and at the very least, discharging/charging it once a month.

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2008
You're welcome :)

When you go to sleep, your Mac should go to sleep, too. (You can keep it plugged in while sleeping)

Some people turn it off, but I feel that wears a computer down more, over time, than just letting it sleep and use little power.

Your battery will decrease as time goes. You can only slow down this decrease by using it regularly on battery and at the very least, discharging/charging it once a month.

Having Gateway and Dell computers all my life I am trying to educate myself as much as I can before I purchase a Macbook so I know what I am doing somewhat, before I get it. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.