Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

printf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
my application uses a proprietary file format for storing and retreiving settings/preferences data. where is the appropriate place to store these types of files, and how can these system folders be found using carbon?

i've found some info on FSFindFolder, for accessing system folders, but not sure which folder i would need. kPreferencesFolderType might be it, but all i see in that directory is plist files..

also, in windows, i use the registry to store a copy of the serial number of the app for the users convenience, if they even need it or forgot to write it down. what is the mac equivelent place for storing non-sensitive data out of harms way, and like above, how is it stored/accessed in carbon?

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Use the the Application Support folder (kApplicationSupportFolderType) for other kinds of application data.

You can use CFPreferences to store settings (such as the serial number), which then gets placed into a property list in the Preferences folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.